VN Ren'Py Abandoned Alternate Legends of the Avatar [v0.3.0] [Apexoid]

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

bacchusplateau

May 23, 2017
Did this guy get DMCA'd? Apexoid just suddenly disappeared.
Not likely. It falls under parody.
I actually haven't played this game, but someone earlier said that some art from the actual show was in the game. If that's the case, then this doesn't fall under parody, but copyright infringement. Personally, I'm not sure but this creator did fall off the face of the Earth with no explanation.

Hoostevall

Aug 15, 2017
Shame to this go the way of so many others. I was personally stoked to see the Katara and Sokka scenes. I know there's another avatar parody game out there, but I don't believe Four Elements Trainer has the Katara/Sokka relationship (feel free to correct me!)

Reactions: VulgarXrated
Oct 29, 2017
I actually haven't played this game, but someone earlier said that some art from the actual show was in the game. If that's the case, then this doesn't fall under parody, but copyright infringement. Personally, I'm not sure but this creator did fall off the face of the Earth with no explanation.
Welp time to dedicate time to watch the show and play the game.

klang

Aug 15, 2016
Not likely. It falls under parody.
For future reference, that's not how parody defenses work under either US law or the Berne Convention. Even under US law, which is more permissive than Berne (due to national exemptions), the parody exemption (more properly one of the fair use exemptions) requires that the parody be specifically related to intrinsic properties of the underlying work such that the parody could not be applied to other similar works. In other words, just having the characters fuck does not make it a parody of Avatar.

The real exemption that basically all of these "parodies" fall under is the "not worth the hassle exemption," where a fan work that makes no real money isn't worth the time it takes a lawyer to sign into their email and send a pre-written cease and desist letter.

These VNs demo games are closest in copyright to Tijuana Bibles, which also sometimes tried to use parody exemptions and invariably lost. For anywhere without a specific national exemption to provide a very broad satire or parody carve-out, they are all infringing and unauthorized uses. Which should be an added incentive to make them good.

MortaI

Nov 23, 2020
Found out that game after i've played "four elements trainer". With that art and so much better and accurate story way, it's just a big SHAME and SADNESS it was abandoned. It would of been more successful and enjoyable than the fet game.

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes