Spatenklopper

Jun 4, 2021
Of course I know that.
But that doesn't change the fact that Nea has mutated into the main character here and I don't think that does the game justice.
Why the slow building relationships with the sisters, with the "black beauty" or very slowly with Mom, when it feels like everything is being thrown overboard for Nea and the remaining characters are downgraded to side actors?
It just feels wrong, at least to me.

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
I think the main "problem" with the game is that the updates are very small so you can only progress the story with a few characters. There has been a huge focus on Nea but I am sure all the other characters will get the same love in future updates.

Reactions: Rutonat

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
Of course I know that.
But that doesn't change the fact that Nea has mutated into the main character here and I don't think that does the game justice.
Why the slow building relationships with the sisters, with the "black beauty" or very slowly with Mom, when it feels like everything is being thrown overboard for Nea and the remaining characters are downgraded to side actors?
Or you're thinking about it the wrong way.
I guess you're expecting every route to progress at the same time, at the same speed, which is something that pretty much never happens in those types of games. For now, nea's route is the most developped one. Later, Luxee will work on another one. Then another one. And so on and so forth.
Just because Nea has more content now doesn't mean she's the main character and the others are thrown away. That just means Luxee had a clearer idea for her right now, and so they worked on her, rather than delay updates until they knew clearly what to do with the other ones.

As for the "everything depends on Nea", might I remind you that Millie depends on the little sister ? And likely, both sisters will depend on the mom since she's playing matchmaker... When the universe is constructed in a manner that makes it realistic, it's normal that characters will know each other in some capacity. If everything was fully separated, it would feel rather like multiple gmaes lazily slapped into one.
Having them interact and impact each other, in my opinion, makes the world way more lived in a believable.

Nov 6, 2020
Just a note from my perspective, I love Nea. I think she's a really great character, I love how fleshed out her story is, and I find her absolutely adorable. When I first came across her as an LI, I was excited.

However, as a person, I do hate how she's either an LI or dead. The lack of just a friendship option is one I hope gets changed later down the line. Not even for the people that just hate trans/hate this specific character, but because, honestly, MCs in these kinds of games need more friends that they aren't sleeping with and I could see Nea being a great friend to just hang out with after school or when the LIs are busy with other things (because stories where the LIs can't do anything without the MC is weird and ridiculous).

Again, just my own two farthings worth.

Corambis

Jul 2, 2017
Just a note from my perspective, I love Nea. I think she's a really great character, I love how fleshed out her story is, and I find her absolutely adorable. When I first came across her as an LI, I was excited.

However, as a person, I do hate how she's either an LI or dead. The lack of just a friendship option is one I hope gets changed later down the line. Not even for the people that just hate trans/hate this specific character, but because, honestly, MCs in these kinds of games need more friends that they aren't sleeping with and I could see Nea being a great friend to just hang out with after school or when the LIs are busy with other things (because stories where the LIs can't do anything without the MC is weird and ridiculous).

Again, just my own two farthings worth.
The forced choice between love interest or corpse is jarring to a lot of the players, many of whom don't want to romance Nea, yet didn't want to see her die. Yes, there are transphobes here. There's also some of Nea's fan's who fetishize their transexuality a bit too much, and it seems like it's become an obsession to them that goes a little too far to the point of not accepting any criticism related to the game or the character.

I don't wish Nea any harm in the game. I just don't want to interact with them as anything more than platonic friends. I also have no desire to see her sucking a cock, which was posted just as much to troll and try to start an argument as it was to celebrate the character. You don't really see random blowjob pictures posted from cis-female characters in these threads, especially unspoilered. Or at least I don't. I'm curious what made this different in the original poster's mind, other than the afore-mentioned trolling.

Duke Leo

Jun 10, 2019
I'll add my shouts into the void.

I liked Nea as a person but did not want to romance her. By the time the fatal option came up I was also feeling like it would be kind of wrong to romance Nea. It was clear that she had latched on to the MC as her savior and the only one to understand her. She put so much on this one person that it became an unhealthy infatuation. Starting a romantic relationship with someone that is so fragile feels wrong to me. To top it off, I wouldn't know how much Nea loved MC vs loved the first person who stood up for her and treated her like a human being. It all honestly felt wrong to me on a psychological level. I wanted Nea to be MC's friend. To feel that MC and his apartment were a safe place for her to learn about herself and to feel okay. I did not want her to mix safety with a need to give out sex.

I really hope Luxee goes back and gives MC an option to calm Nea down and convince her that it's okay to just be friends.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Nea seems to me to be a very well-crafted character, in fact, she is possibly the most elaborated on an emotional level. The bad thing is that I'm not interested in a romance with her, so in my case her content is over. A shame, because her story was good, and I think the friendship could have worked well too.

On the other hand, I don't see NTR in this game, in fact there is nothing even remotely like NTR.
No, no there is not. Also agree on the Nea friendship working out, it would make a nice alternative for people who don't want to be with a trans character any further than that.

I don't care about trans people in a romantic sense and that's the only thing that really bothers me here.
We weren't given the choice.

Either we get into a romantic relationship with Nea, which I really don't like, or it happens like it came to the end of 0.6.
Why not a friendly relationship, that's probably something we'll never know.
This I have to agree on, being forced into one way with her or no way with her was a big mistake. We could serve as a friendly protector from the bullies and nothing more, no need to force any further and we still get Nea.

I can understand if people are not into Nea, we all have our own preferences. But I don't get why someone would hate her. It was really weird to me seeing people celebrating her death. Let's take away the whole gender thing. People were basically celebrating someone killing themselves after enduring years of being bullied. That is just bizarre to me.
Yeah, that was too far, as it would be for any character.

Thiking Luxee would make that 180° to NTR with Nea would require to really not have any faith in their skill. Even ignoring Nea's route, the whole writting tend to mostly be pretty realistic, and a lovestruck young trans girl suddenly going from absolute and deep love to "fuck you actually I'm stealing all your girls" would make absolutement nosense whatesoever on top of being deeply unrealistic...
But then again, I doubt transphobic people would care about that since recognizing it would strip them of an argument. Which is both sad and pathetic, in my opinion.

At least I'm glad to see some people come out of the shadow with respectful opinions even while not liking Nea.
I'm not saying everyone should love her. We all have different tastes. But there's a world between "I don't like her" and "He shouldn't fucking exist, I fucking love killing his gay ass".
Good on you, people. You're good eggs.

They hate her because of transphobia. Sadly a lot of people can't accept a world not comprised of 1s and 0s, male and female only. And I'm not even gonna mention those who grew up in deeply religious backgrounds. That's a whole otehr can of worms.

I sadly don't have the link anymore, but someone around these parts linked (in another thread) a very interesting video of a trans woman talking about why dating, or even having sex with a trans woman doesn't mean the guy is gay. And as she was saying, sadly a very big number of guys can't wrap their heads around it. Or won't. Some don't even want to try, after all.
That's human nature for you. It's easier to show hate and agression towards shit you don't understand rather than take a few minutes to think about it.

I don't know the timing of the update that brought the bad end, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that was Luxee's answer to transphobic and hateful comments about a character that, obviously, Luxee loved very much (pretty obvious seeing the care and deppth of her writing).
Considering how many other developers there are that actually would pull that, I would not discount a lack of faith in Luxee. PL was one of my first games on this site, so I have had the time around Luxee's work to build that faith. I know he won't pull it, but some people won't give any developer a chance if there is disliked content potentially getting involved.

That would honestly make it even more incomprehensible.

Fuck her in the ass or she jump?
That's not how you deal with transphobia and that's not how you get people to really deal with it.
Since the earlier course of the story with the dislike by her father and the bullying at school was the far better way.
Actually, yeah. What this approach is saying is 'it's my way or no way' and while I can respect a developer's decision, I won't say I can agree with this specific one. There is a middle ground option, it just needs developing to exist.

No, what I meant was that, I wouldn't be surprised, seeing the amount, and mostly intensity of the transphobic backlash, Luxee had put an extreme end to Nea's route as a sort of "Ho yeah, you hate different people that much ? You happy now ? After all, you're saying she doesn't deserve to exist, right ?" type of reaction.
Not saying it's the right reaction to have... but as a hotblooded person who tend to get very pissed very fast when I see those comments, I can understand the mental track needed to get to that.

But I could also be wrong. I'm just theorizing, since it seems to me that Luxee deeply love Nea's character.
I could see it and I am on the side of it not being the right reaction here. Reacting this way is a good way to lose players, and not just the ones that the move was targeting. A calm reaction where a middle ground option was offered would have been better.

I think that now that Nea and the mc are in a relationship and her father seems like he won't stop being an asshole. She should just move in with the mc.
I mean, that is the logical conclusion. Nea is under threat of being bullied and is potentially under threat in more places than just the school, so for protection, moving in with the MC makes sense. This could be applicable regardless of being in a relationship as well, meaning it would work both for the current romantic path and for a potential middle ground friendship path.

I honestly don't see how the NTR could fit into Nea's story, unless another character who is interested in her romantically shows up. To think that Nea is going to steal the LIs from the MC seems absolutely silly to me.

Here a famous soccer player was dating (a year or so) a famous trans woman, and he is perfectly heterosexual (he later married several times and has had several children).

I don't know, I personally don't like any of the options he's brought up: Her jumping is sad and certainly has to have a negative impact on the story. But I'm also not interested in romance (and, obviously, the sex scenes that go along with it). As the sex scenes with Nea aren't going to be to my liking, I prefer the first option out of sheer practical decision: As I say, she is a fictional character, and as sad as what happens, I prefer to avoid romance and sex scenes.
It literally can't, not logically, but some people see a second dick as a chance for it, trans character or not.

I won't lie, I am also kind of unsatisfied with the 'take it or leave it' style approach with no compromise for those of us willing to play a non-romantic Nea path.

And that's why I'm honestly concerned.
Nea is a polarizing character, without question, but when you look at the admittedly short description of the game and the tags, I really wonder if everything that was/is "promised" to us here is true.

Whether it is the right way to make Nea the main character, who has to be romanticized, is in my opinion neither fair to the game nor to the users and also not to the fictional character of Nea and the people she represents in the game.
At some point in 0.7 we will see where this leads and then I will consider whether I want to continue along this path or whether it will end there for me.

Would be a shame because I really liked the game but where it looks like where it is going is not for me.
This is most definitely giving Nea the short end of the stick here. Not only is there another dick in the game, but the character it is attached to is basically required. Not a good approach, it would be the same as making Yui required, which means people not wanting to be romantic with a character like her would be in the boat that people who don't want to be romantic with Nea are in now.

The way it is now, those of us that don't want to get romantic with Nea have to watch Nea end up dead or we have to get romantic. Being forced to avoid a character entirely just so we don't have to romance said character is completely unfair.

If this is the way it is going to be, I am going to have to consider this game dead to me. We'll see where it leads next update.

Of course I know that.
It doesn't, it forces players into content they may want to avoid, which in a game like this is bad. Especially when there are so many other characters getting thrown under the bus specifically for the one character that might just be the one people want to skip.

This definitely feels wrong, like Luxee is intentionally making players go through Nea romantically. That's literally the same thing as making players go through Yui romantically, but there's one difference, Yui doesn't have this much focus, barely any in fact. Not even the player character's own family has as much focus as Nea and it is hurting the game severely.

I think the main "problem" with the game is that the updates are very small so you can only progress the story with a few characters. There has been a huge focus on Nea but I am sure all the other characters will get the same love in future updates.
Maybe, but the evidence is, honestly, not looking too good in favor of that. As it stands, the evidence supports the potential that Luxee is putting this amount of focus on Nea intentionally at the expense of every other character in the game. We'll see in future updates.

The forced choice between love interest or corpse is jarring to a lot of the players, many of whom don't want to romance Nea, yet didn't want to see her die. Yes, there are transphobes here. There's also some of Nea's fan's who fetishize their transexuality a bit too much, and it seems like it's become an obsession to them that goes a little too far to the point of not accepting any criticism related to the game or the character.

I don't wish Nea any harm in the game. I just don't want to interact with them as anything more than platonic friends. I also have no desire to see her sucking a cock, which was posted just as much to troll and try to start an argument as it was to celebrate the character. You don't really see random blowjob pictures posted from cis-female characters in these threads, especially unspoilered. Or at least I don't. I'm curious what made this different in the original poster's mind, other than the afore-mentioned trolling.
I agree, especially on the two sides of the issue. Both sides have radical elements that won't hear anything that doesn't support their side. That said, there are more understanding members of the player base here as well who are willing to accept middle ground opinions.

The forced choice was jarring to me as well. I don't want to bring harm to Nea and, as it is now, that's exactly what it feels like when I decline romance. It makes me feel like I'm the one who caused Nea's death, which is a freaking awful feeling that DOES make me consider not playing at all sometimes. I think I might be starting to associate Nea's death with playing the game in general and, by extension, the bad feeling that comes with that death.

I liked Nea as a person but did not want to romance her. By the time the fatal option came up I was also feeling like it would be kind of wrong to romance Nea. It was clear that she had latched on to the MC as her savior and the only one to understand her. She put so much on this one person that it became an unhealthy infatuation. Starting a romantic relationship with someone that is so fragile feels wrong to me. To top it off, I wouldn't know how much Nea loved MC vs loved the first person who stood up for her and treated her like a human being. It all honestly felt wrong to me on a psychological level. I wanted Nea to be MC's friend. To feel that MC and his apartment were a safe place for her to learn about herself and to feel okay. I did not want her to mix safety with a need to give out sex.

I really hope Luxee goes back and gives MC an option to calm Nea down and convince her that it's okay to just be friends.
I'm not even sure I could romance Nea as a cis female, it just feels like I'm manipulating Nea through some sort of rescuer/rescued dynamic. Like I'm taking advantage of the result of rescuing Nea from the bullying and all that. I mean, if anything goes wrong in a romantic relationship with Nea, who knows what could result, maybe even Nea dying anyway. Nea is just that fragile at the moment, like one push could be another bad end.

I don't want to be that one final push.

Last edited:

Corambis

Jul 2, 2017
I'm not even sure I could romance Nea as a cis female, it just feels like I'm manipulating Nea through some sort of rescuer/rescued dynamic. Like I'm taking advantage of the result of rescuing Nea from the bullying and all that. I mean, if anything goes wrong in a romantic relationship with Nea, who knows what could result, maybe even Nea dying anyway. Nea is just that fragile at the moment, like one push could be another bad end.

I don't want to be that one final push.
That's a definite issue. It's one thing to play the rescuer, but there are also mental health issues here as well, where quite obviously Nea is suicidal, just as many trans youth are for a whole range of reasons. Luxee has made it clear now that Nea killing herself is a thing, and not for the reasons most would expect. It would have been one thing had Nea killed herself if the MC never reached out as a friend, or worse, actively bullied Nea. Instead, Nea kills herself because the MC doesn't want a romantic relationship with them. That's a different level of mental health issues than the normal issues faced by trans people. It also seems like it's always going to be a looming concern over even a serious romantic relationship with her. Relationships do end. Does Nea kill herself when that happens, or threatens to do so?

For me, the best case scenario in this game is that I can help Nea against the bullies, get them out of their toxic home, and help them find their own path forward to happiness and better mental health, all without having to become romantically involved with them or anything sexual going on. Instead Luxee gave us the worse scenario of "you did make an effort, but you're going to get the same result as the people who didn't try to help". Plus I think it casts Nea's mental issues as going beyond the standard trans youth thing, or at least sends the message that unless you're willing to be romantically involved, just don't get involved at all. As you said, this goes beyond the trans thing. There's issues there with Nea that would make dating a cis female version concerning as well. It would again be a situation of wanting to help, and get them help. But it's maybe best for them and me if it doesn't get emotional, until it's shown she has healed enough to be ready for that kind of thing.

Oct 22, 2017
I'm not into other dicks - whomever they are attached to.

I went into this game knowing that Nea was a center-piece, and actually one of Luxee's initial ideas for creating it, though.

Therefore, I was really happy when Luxee officially confirmed that there would also be a frienship route for Nea, for I wanted her story to be a part of my game.
(That was at the point where you get a 3-choice menu about how to progress your relationship with her.)

- Just for that route being removed like an update later ... :mad:

For now, I went with the Nea route, for I still want her story to be a part of my game.

Most likely I'll just speed through sex scenes with her and make it my own friendship route.

It's not like I can't ignore specific things or make story related decisions.
And if I couldn't ignore some stray dicks, I'd never lived through the group bathrooms in the armed forces. o_O

No game here is 100% my thing - but as I don't create any, I make do. :whistle:

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020

That's a definite issue. It's one thing to play the rescuer, but there are also mental health issues here as well, where quite obviously Nea is suicidal, just as many trans youth are for a whole range of reasons. Luxee has made it clear now that Nea killing herself is a thing, and not for the reasons most would expect. It would have been one thing had Nea killed herself if the MC never reached out as a friend, or worse, actively bullied Nea. Instead, Nea kills herself because the MC doesn't want a romantic relationship with them. That's a different level of mental health issues than the normal issues faced by trans people. It also seems like it's always going to be a looming concern over even a serious romantic relationship with her. Relationships do end. Does Nea kill herself when that happens, or threatens to do so?

For me, the best case scenario in this game is that I can help Nea against the bullies, get them out of their toxic home, and help them find their own path forward to happiness and better mental health, all without having to become romantically involved with them or anything sexual going on. Instead Luxee gave us the worse scenario of "you did make an effort, but you're going to get the same result as the people who didn't try to help". Plus I think it casts Nea's mental issues as going beyond the standard trans youth thing, or at least sends the message that unless you're willing to be romantically involved, just don't get involved at all. As you said, this goes beyond the trans thing. There's issues there with Nea that would make dating a cis female version concerning as well. It would again be a situation of wanting to help, and get them help. But it's maybe best for them and me if it doesn't get emotional, until it's shown she has healed enough to be ready for that kind of thing.
There's some truth in both your posts.
But, personaly, I can also see something different than an unhealthy manipulation. I mean, remember that the MC, right now, is having a hard time wrapping his head around is potential relationship with Nea. Well, if you tried it, that is. If you didn't, allow me to summerize quickly :

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

While the premise might seem a bit messed up and unhealthy, another way to look at it is also that the MC (rather than manipulating her, or Nea guilt-tripping him) is discovering a type of person he hasn't met before and is dealing with it. On top of that, being the fondamentally good person that he is, he discovered someone suffering deeply for a stupid reason. By the time he discovers that Nea is a trans woman, he's already friends with her. And he's not the type of guy to react with "Wtf you lied to me fuck off freak !". So he doesn't.
Now, when it comes to the romance, there's also another way to look at it. Pretty much nobody in Nea's life sees anything in her aside from a freak. But instead of getting to know her from what others say of her, he got to know her from herself, as the person she is. He got to understand that, past the rumors and family bullshit, there's a person worth knowing, and worth loving. Because Nea's route isn't "ho look at me how I'm suffering" all the time. Sure, there are times like this, because it's what makes her route progress, overcoming that suffering. But there's also a lot of sweeter times where she seems to forget about everything else in her life and just be who she is and want to be, thinks to her being with someone who helps her forget all the rest going wrong.

It's not just a question of relationship being messed up, but also seeing past the cover and peering into the actual content of the book, and wanting to make her happy because he thinks she deserves it.
I mean, in her Love route, of course.

But yes, it's not gonna be a conventional "two beautiful people falling in love" route. It can't be, since Nea is written as a deeply tortured character because of her environment. That's also, in my opinion, what makes her route interesting, from a writting standpoint (and independently from her being trans). She's not the typical "her life's nice enough" character. She's a broken soul in need of someone to help fit the pices back together.
It's not a fairytale love, it's a messy, slanted relationship that needs fixing while it grows.

Reactions: Damien8d

Corambis

Jul 2, 2017
There's some truth in both your posts.
But, personaly, I can also see something different than an unhealthy manipulation. I mean, remember that the MC, right now, is having a hard time wrapping his head around is potential relationship with Nea. Well, if you tried it, that is. If you didn't, allow me to summerize quickly :

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

While the premise might seem a bit messed up and unhealthy, another way to look at it is also that the MC (rather than manipulating her, or Nea guilt-tripping him) is discovering a type of person he hasn't met before and is dealing with it. On top of that, being the fondamentally good person that he is, he discovered someone suffering deeply for a stupid reason. By the time he discovers that Nea is a trans woman, he's already friends with her. And he's not the type of guy to react with "Wtf you lied to me fuck off freak !". So he doesn't.
Now, when it comes to the romance, there's also another way to look at it. Pretty much nobody in Nea's life sees anything in her aside from a freak. But instead of getting to know her from what others say of her, he got to know her from herself, as the person she is. He got to understand that, past the rumors and family bullshit, there's a person worth knowing, and worth loving. Because Nea's route isn't "ho look at me how I'm suffering" all the time. Sure, there are times like this, because it's what makes her route progress, overcoming that suffering. But there's also a lot of sweeter times where she seems to forget about everything else in her life and just be who she is and want to be, thinks to her being with someone who helps her forget all the rest going wrong.

It's not just a question of relationship being messed up, but also seeing past the cover and peering into the actual content of the book, and wanting to make her happy because he thinks she deserves it.
I mean, in her Love route, of course.

But yes, it's not gonna be a conventional "two beautiful people falling in love" route. It can't be, since Nea is written as a deeply tortured character because of her environment. That's also, in my opinion, what makes her route interesting, from a writting standpoint (and independently from her being trans). She's not the typical "her life's nice enough" character. She's a broken soul in need of someone to help fit the pices back together.
It's not a fairytale love, it's a messy, slanted relationship that needs fixing while it grows.
But Luxee has shown pretty conclusively that Nea is incredibly fragile, to the point of even just being turned down romantically leads to her killing herself. That's not really a good relationship to get into at this point. Maybe, as I mentioned, once Nea was out of that house and away from the bullies, and more her own person. But also perhaps with some therapy as well. In order for the relationship to work it has to be clear that Nea is not going to off herself just because things don't progress as she wants. Otherwise the MC is effectively held hostage by the knowledge their doing anything, however minor, to hurt Nea will result in their death.

We're also given contrasting views of MC in their interactions with the other love interests. This game is strange in that there's the Nea story, which seems focused on romance, and everything else, which seems to be "fuck 'em all and make a harem". The two don't really seem compatible with each other. The MC does seem kind of like a predator, which would make Nea just another prey. Their other love interests are largely family members, underage girls, etc, or women into being degraded. I'll say again that the entire Nea story would make much more sense as a standalone story/game than tacked onto everything else in A69, because the MC needs to be a different, better person for Nea's story.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
But Luxee has shown pretty conclusively that Nea is incredibly fragile, to the point of even just being turned down romantically leads to her killing herself. That's not really a good relationship to get into at this point. Maybe, as I mentioned, once Nea was out of that house and away from the bullies, and more her own person. But also perhaps with some therapy as well. In order for the relationship to work it has to be clear that Nea is not going to off herself just because things don't progress as she wants. Otherwise the MC is effectively held hostage by the knowledge their doing anything, however minor, to hurt Nea will result in their death.

We're also given contrasting views of MC in their interactions with the other love interests. This game is strange in that there's the Nea story, which seems focused on romance, and everything else, which seems to be "fuck 'em all and make a harem". The two don't really seem compatible with each other. The MC does seem kind of like a predator, which would make Nea just another prey. Their other love interests are largely family members, underage girls, etc, or women into being degraded. I'll say again that the entire Nea story would make much more sense as a standalone story/game than tacked onto everything else in A69, because the MC needs to be a different, better person for Nea's story.
Well, yeah. But as you're saying, Nea is extremely fragile. With all that she's been through, I honestly don't think it's that surprising that the prospect that the only ally that she ever has, the only hope she had to be loved really, could be a total lie... well with how fragile her life made her, it's not all that incoherent. Extreme, yes, but not incoherent.

As for the second part of your post... Honestly, I just think the MC is polyamorous.

Kionashi

Jul 11, 2021

Well, to be fair, Nea doesn't really kill herself because the MC rejected her love, while is true that not pursuing Nea romantically will trigger that scene, in the story she makes the jump because she is scared she could just lose you by being a freak, and the though of losing the relationship with the only person who treated as a woman scared the shit out of her, not only losing the MC as a love interest but as a friend would destroy her world, that would mean she no longer had anything to live for and that's why in an obvious state of distress she took that choice since the MC didn't rush back to ease her fear. I can 100% see Nea being happy with just being MC's friend, of course she would still bear that giant crush on him, but in normal situations she wouldn't dare to risk it by confessing her love.

Corambis

Jul 2, 2017
Well, to be fair, Nea doesn't really kill herself because the MC rejected her love, while is true that not pursuing Nea romantically will trigger that scene, in the story she makes the jump because she is scared she could just lose you by being a freak, and the though of losing the relationship with the only person who treated as a woman scared the shit out of her, not only losing the MC as a love interest but as a friend would destroy her world, that would mean she no longer had anything to live for and that's why in an obvious state of distress she took that choice since the MC didn't rush back to ease her fear. I can 100% see Nea being happy with just being MC's friend, of course she would still bear that giant crush on him, but in normal situations she wouldn't dare to risk it by confessing her love.
You're reading an awful lot of context into the situation that Luxee just hasn't put there yet, unless I'm remembering the scene wrong. And as you point out yourself, regardless of why she does it it's still portrayed as being because of the MC. And not because the MC did anything wrong, either. Whichever way you want to spin it, Luxee kills Nea if the player doesn't actively pursue them as a love interest. You can spin or rationalize why it "really" happens all you want. But it never needed to end that way, and shouldn't have. It was handled poorly, and shouldn't really be defended. I say this as I would for any other bad developer choice in any game. Those happen quite often, although it's somewhat subjective. The difference here is that Nea fans will rush to defend the situation whatever way they can when they should be scratching their heads too. Nea killing herself under these specific circumstances is a bad story choice and completely unfair to a large chunk of the players who made no choices that logically should have led to a character killing themselves over them.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017

Exactly, if Nea wasn't suicidal, that bad end to Nea's route would not be a thing. I could definitely see this ending if Nea never got rescued or if if the player character joined the bullying, which I would never let happen given the option (making that unavoidable would be an instant drop for me, I was bullied in real life and I refuse to be one myself even in a game. It does not matter who the victim of the bullies happens to be). I get it, this does make a slight amount of sense, people around that time of development are prone to rash and reckless decisions as well as taking being romantically declined the wrong way. However, that doesn't mean it is guaranteed that they would go this far.

That issue with what could happen even if we say yes is my main concern as well. Nea has now been shown to be extremely unstable in terms of the will to commit suicide, so logically speaking, Nea would do it if literally anything happens to negatively impact the relationship. This is why I am starting to just not want to play, because it makes me feel responsible and gives me a sense that, should I make any decision Nea doesn't like, I will find her dead somewhere due to a suicide attempt that succeeded all because the relationship wasn't going 100% perfect. Death literally cannot be avoided, Nea dies if I decline a relationship, Nea dies if I accept and things go south during said relationship, it is a lose/lose situation.

No, no it is not a good point to get into a relationship. At best, a relationship at this point would only be viable as a way to keep Nea from suicide while trying to get Nea some psychological help to turn Nea away from suicide. I also have to agree on the written contrast here, Nea is getting what is a seemingly purely romantic route while the rest are getting your standard harem treatment IF they get any development at all. If Luxee was going that route, would it not be better to have this story for Nea as a standalone project or even just the ONLY route in the game? As it is now, the contrast is far too great to be good and it is dragging the game down, though not as much as the bad end to Nea's route being forced on anyone who doesn't want a full romance with Nea.

While technically true in universe, the way it works in the code is basically 'you don't romance Nea, Nea dies' and that effectively makes the reason Nea dies become the rejection. This is why an alternate path needs to be made where Nea lives. Maybe Nea tries to jump and we actually make it in time to stop the attempt. Maybe we talk Nea out of it before an attempt is ever even made. No matter how it goes, it needs to be done or it is going to turn off A LOT of players, even ones who would accept Nea fully.

You're reading an awful lot of context into the situation that Luxee just hasn't put there yet, unless I'm remembering the scene wrong. And as you point out yourself, regardless of why she does it it's still portrayed as being because of the MC. And not because the MC did anything wrong, either. Whichever way you want to spin it, Luxee kills Nea if the player doesn't actively pursue them as a love interest. You can spin or rationalize why it "really" happens all you want. But it never needed to end that way, and shouldn't have. It was handled poorly, and shouldn't really be defended. I say this as I would for any other bad developer choice in any game. Those happen quite often, although it's somewhat subjective. The difference here is that Nea fans will rush to defend the situation whatever way they can when they should be scratching their heads too. Nea killing herself under these specific circumstances is a bad story choice and completely unfair to a large chunk of the players who made no choices that logically should have led to a character killing themselves over them.
It didn't even have to be because of the rejection, the code speaks for itself, if we reject Nea, Nea dies, period. There is no reasoning away from putting the blame on the rejection with the code the way it is. No matter how you say it, Nea dies if Nea is rejected. That automatically puts the burden on the player character and, by extension, the player. This is why doing it that way is bad, this is why it makes me feel responsible for Nea's death, and there is no reasoning that can change that. The only thing that can is giving a path where Nea lives without being in a romantic relationship.

Oct 22, 2017
... If Luxee was going that route, would it not be better to have this story for Nea as a standalone project or even just the ONLY route in the game? ...
That is in part how this game started - the option to ignore Nea was added later on because people asked for a way to get just the other girls.
In my mind, the option to have a friendship route beside the romance route was discussed before and just never confirmed/shot down. But a game without Nea was not part of the original plan as far as we know.
If/How all the routes get more defined/content is something we just don't know. One of Luxee's reasons for the current format of the game was, that he can work on the parts he wants to/is inspired to do, instead of having to follow the story just because that point in time had to be done right then.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
I really feel like you people are reading way too much into a game, to be fair...
If this was based off actual people, like those movies telling people's lives, I'd understand, but let's be real five minutes : even with all the realism in crafting the characters, the univers of A69 is nothing close to realistic... You won't find a guy going around having actual, deep relationships with that many girls of that much age range with basically not effort and no consequences...

Also, you convieniently seem to ignore the fact that all the shit that happened to Nea is supposed to have a devastating effect on her psychee. And in case it's not obvious to you : the psychee of people having lived through years and more of abuse is not pretty. You make it sound like a women who got beat up by every male in her family from 6 to 30 years old shouldn't end up having a loving husband because of how her life before him broke her. That... really fucking grim and mean, to be honest.
You keep turning it like either the MC is manipulating her or she's guilt-triping him to frame the shot like something absolutely horrible, all the while apprently refusing to consider the character being written as broken and in need of someone to provide all the love that will help her heal.

The human mind isn't something PC and pretty. It's rough, complicated, and the more life beat it up, the uglier it gets until it's healed. And healing isn't just a matter of years outside of abuse and seeing a shrink every other week.

You keep hammering "That relationship is messed up, it can't work, it shouldn't exist"... Then what ? What's you're point ? You mean that Nea should just go away to get therapy for years before she should be allowed any relationship ? Like it's gonna be any better to not allow her support, like it's gonna help ? It won't. She'd just be just as alone as before.
You don't even seem to consider that it's just the beginning of a relationship, and keep speaking of it like it's always gonna be like that, despite the game being in 0.06...

Though I wonder if any of you is even going to read this, since you seemed happy enough to ignore my previous post about that... I guess ignoring what doesn't go your way makes it easier to not have anything but people siding with you.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
That is in part how this game started - the option to ignore Nea was added later on because people asked for a way to get just the other girls.
In my mind, the option to have a friendship route beside the romance route was discussed before and just never confirmed/shot down. But a game without Nea was not part of the original plan as far as we know.
If/How all the routes get more defined/content is something we just don't know. One of Luxee's reasons for the current format of the game was, that he can work on the parts he wants to/is inspired to do, instead of having to follow the story just because that point in time had to be done right then.
I'm aware, I've been here, though mostly lurking, since day one and came over from the PL thread. I know a game without Nea wasn't part of the plan and I am certainly not asking for one. I want Nea, but I don't want to be forced to romance Nea or be the cause of a suicide, even if fictional. That's actually a VERY big problem and is the main issue being discussed here, the Nea route as it is now is romance or death, there is no middle ground. A middle ground is all I want.

I really feel like you people are reading way too much into a game, to be fair...
If this was based off actual people, like those movies telling people's lives, I'd understand, but let's be real five minutes : even with all the realism in crafting the characters, the univers of A69 is nothing close to realistic... You won't find a guy going around having actual, deep relationships with that many girls of that much age range with basically not effort and no consequences...

Also, you convieniently seem to ignore the fact that all the shit that happened to Nea is supposed to have a devastating effect on her psychee. And in case it's not obvious to you : the psychee of people having lived through years and more of abuse is not pretty. You make it sound like a women who got beat up by every male in her family from 6 to 30 years old shouldn't end up having a loving husband because of how her life before him broke her. That... really fucking grim and mean, to be honest.
You keep turning it like either the MC is manipulating her or she's guilt-triping him to frame the shot like something absolutely horrible, all the while apprently refusing to consider the character being written as broken and in need of someone to provide all the love that will help her heal.

The human mind isn't something PC and pretty. It's rough, complicated, and the more life beat it up, the uglier it gets until it's healed. And healing isn't just a matter of years outside of abuse and seeing a shrink every other week.

You keep hammering "That relationship is messed up, it can't work, it shouldn't exist"... Then what ? What's you're point ? You mean that Nea should just go away to get therapy for years before she should be allowed any relationship ? Like it's gonna be any better to not allow her support, like it's gonna help ? It won't. She'd just be just as alone as before.
You don't even seem to consider that it's just the beginning of a relationship, and keep speaking of it like it's always gonna be like that, despite the game being in 0.06...

Though I wonder if any of you is even going to read this, since you seemed happy enough to ignore my previous post about that... I guess ignoring what doesn't go your way makes it easier to not have anything but people siding with you.
With the way Nea is now, even if we say yes to a romantic relationship, that could still lead to suicide. All it takes, from where Nea is now, is one tiny push. Nobody here is ignoring that Nea was devastated, what we are saying is there needs to be a way around the suicide, give the player character a chance to work around a friendship route where he helps Nea get psychological help for the trauma endured instead of immediately ending the character just because we don't want to go all the way to romance. That's the thing about people who have suicidal tendencies, you don't leave them alone, that's the absolute worst thing you can possibly do because it gives them a chance to act on those tendencies with nobody to stop them or get them medical attention if they manage to harm themselves.

Also, yeah, it honestly does feel like manipulation to take the romance route. Nea's been through hell, then suddenly a knight in shining armor comes to Nea's rescue and Nea falls in love. That's not real love, that's an infatuation for Nea's rescuer, which isn't healthy. It is essentially Stockholm Syndrome, but directed at the rescuer (there's no name for this psychological condition, Stockholm Syndrome, while targeting a captor or aggressor, is the closest I can find).

Nea needs help to get through the trauma, only when that psychological infatuation because of the player character being the rescuer is out of the way will there be a chance for real feelings to develop and only then would it not feel like manipulation. As it is now, a relationship can only really serve to tie the player character down because all he needs to do is rock the boat a tiny bit and we're right back to where Nea would have been if told no to a romantic relationship. It is basically holding him to Nea all for the sake of preventing another suicide situation.

Not sure what you mean by not allowing Nea support, we aren't support, we're enabling a behavior that could end up making things even worse, and yes, ending with Nea dead (which means we might as well have told Nea no in the first place, same result). Nea's support would include therapists and other people helping Nea to overcome the trauma, not including people, like the player character, who enable behaviors that serve to fuel Nea's suicidal tendencies. No, it doesn't mean going away for a while, it means staying on top of Nea at all times to make sure there are no suicide attempts, making sure any treatments are being followed, and making sure all appointments are being met.

The big problem with the no romance end for Nea was that Nea was given the opportunity to commit suicide, that's rule number one when dealing with suicidal people, NEVER leave them alone with anything or in any place that could be used for suicide.

Oct 22, 2017
alex2011
Ah, ok. I really feel you on that point. I was crossing my fingers all the time for a friendship route and so happy when Luxee confirmed there would be that option - just to remove it directly after and making it worse ...

• Red Heart
Reactions: alex2011
4.00 star(s) 70 Votes