Others Arma's Quest [v0.14.3] [Mundane Escapists]

3.90 star(s) 12 Votes
Sep 14, 2021
I feel like the First Boss is a failure on a conceptual level.

The first question is: What IS a boss?

In a Level based game, a boss is a final exam. They are there to ensure the player learned what you wanted to teach them in this level. A First Boss, generally speaking, should be testing the player on the basic controls of how to play the game.

But what does this boss test us on? If the game was supposed to be highly technical, then you would want a boss with relatively low HP, but very high damage. Enough HP that you can't brute force them, but not so much that the fight drags out. Once the player has learned to chose their attacks carefully, the boss has served its purpose to teach that lesson.

This could work here, but the problem is the inflated health total and the bosses stun bar. The presence of the decaying stun bar is to push the player into an aggressive play style, in order to stun the boss and rack up damage on it's inflated health total. This flies in the face of a 'slow and measured' gameplay style, and lends itself more to a quick-reaction time game while mastering defensive dodging.

This is too advanced of a lesson for a first boss.

Also, just for a point, the falling "Health drops" are absolutely useless. They fall way too fast for you to react/move to even if they are right next to you when they enter your screen.
The frog boss was pretty easy. He telegraphed his attacks pretty much and once the water slowed you down, dashes can safe you from his ground attack. It feels like the frog is way too strong for a first boss, but honestly, I fought worse first bosses than this one in old NES games. Sure, it this boss fight has something from a Dark Soul or Bloodborne boss, but if you learn to read his attacks, you can beat him easily.

Feb 3, 2021
The frog boss was pretty easy. He telegraphed his attacks pretty much and once the water slowed you down, dashes can safe you from his ground attack. It feels like the frog is way too strong for a first boss, but honestly, I fought worse first bosses than this one in old NES games. Sure, it this boss fight has something from a Dark Soul or Bloodborne boss, but if you learn to read his attacks, you can beat him easily.
It's just so freaking boring. He should not be invincible during that stupid rain attack. I feel like over half the time in this fight I'm just standing still. Difficulty notwithstanding, it's a terrible encounter.

Also at the risk of being that guy, is this game going to have m/m? I normally wouldn't bring it up, but the first gem scene you unlock is a m/m pic.

Reactions: Deynan
Sep 14, 2021
It's just so freaking boring. He should not be invincible during that stupid rain attack. I feel like over half the time in this fight I'm just standing still. Difficulty notwithstanding, it's a terrible encounter.
I disagree, I saw this with some of the old NES and SNES bosses. Those are attack circles, which should make the boss fight more difficult. By the way, you can get your health back if you collect the white drops during the rain attack.

Feb 3, 2021
I disagree, I saw this with some of the old NES and SNES bosses. Those are attack circles, which should make the boss fight more difficult. By the way, you can get your health back if you collect the white drops during the rain attack.
We've advanced 30 years since then. There's plenty of games back then that stand the test of time for sure, but none of the ones that have boss fights where you're just standing around waiting for half the time are.

Waiting for the rain attack to end. Waiting for the stupidly easy to dodge ground attack to end. Wait for it to stop RNGing into leaping away and going into another invincible phase so you can actually progress the fight. You don't even need to collect the white drops, or dodge attacks, or even parry. You can just mash your face into the boss, use your heal ability, and continue brainlessly holding forward and attack and still win.

Sep 14, 2021
We've advanced 30 years since then. There's plenty of games back then that stand the test of time for sure, but none of the ones that have boss fights where you're just standing around waiting for half the time are.

Waiting for the rain attack to end. Waiting for the stupidly easy to dodge ground attack to end. Wait for it to stop RNGing into leaping away and going into another invincible phase so you can actually progress the fight. You don't even need to collect the white drops, or dodge attacks, or even parry. You can just mash your face into the boss, use your heal ability, and continue brainlessly holding forward and attack and still win.
Then don't play it lol

wahbast

Feb 11, 2020
posting to inform that on the page for the game (unlisted in the OP) there is a free demo whose readme lists as Version 0.4.2, in the changelog there is the inclusion of blocking and of tutorial barks from the succubus companion that pop out whenever they seem to be relevant (near the beatles, when dying she will talk about blocking and parrying, etc.)
I'll also be dumping the full readme contents here.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

bluraven93

Nov 30, 2019
So what rule did I break about posting info of an character that is now relevant to this game?? Not sure how "thread cleanup" would be an good reason for info that is out there for said character's game...

vaniaklyu

Nov 18, 2021
posting to inform that on the page for the game (unlisted in the OP) there is a free demo whose readme lists as Version 0.4.2, in the changelog there is the inclusion of blocking and of tutorial barks from the succubus companion that pop out whenever they seem to be relevant (near the beatles, when dying she will talk about blocking and parrying, etc.)
I'll also be dumping the full readme contents here.
alright, off to a good start
though I do wonder what Build 0.5.1 adds compared to Version 0.4.2

bluraven93

Nov 30, 2019
Kincaid crossover update is up for backers.
I mean... to be honest, the crossover was revealed by Stuffie on Cookiedraggy's game thread, so an admin might have screwed up on deleting my post, if they realize it afterwards, that's fine other than the fact that I violated no rule by sharing already shared info because said info was brought into light by Stuffie. Chances of them being an backer for Arma's Quest is pretty high.

Vinatieri

Jun 27, 2017
Arma Quest 0.5.1:
Mega:
GD:

Basically, there's a side quest you can do with Kincaid from the other game after you beat the first stage. Doing the quest lets you see two new animations with Kincaid and one of those green lizard guys. They don't seem to appear in the gallery afterwards so you have to restart the stage and do the whole quest if you want to see them again :confused:

3.90 star(s) 12 Votes