• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

MAGO-DAG

Engaged Member
Sep 1, 2023
Shit! I finally finished season 1 of Bad Hero, in theory I like the story as a whole, but sometimes the choices at every opportunity get boring, at every moment you are given the choice to “Take a closer look,” but I liked the game. I don’t know about anyone, but I like May, a sexy Asian girl, more, from hatred to understanding and trust, I really hope that in the future she will completely trust Mc than an anonymous hacker... during the course of the plot, it seems to me that some people begin to trust Mc, especially Angel and little by little May too... I'll try episode 2 soon... PicsArt_01-01-12.17.12.png

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Shit! I finally finished season 1 of Bad Hero, in theory I like the story as a whole, but sometimes the choices at every opportunity get boring, at every moment you are given the choice to “Take a closer look,” but I liked the game. I don’t know about anyone, but I like May, a sexy Asian girl, more, from hatred to understanding and trust, I really hope that in the future she will completely trust Mc than an anonymous hacker... during the course of the plot, it seems to me that some people begin to trust Mc, especially Angel and little by little May too... I'll try episode 2 soon... View attachment 3222994
Yeah, May is awesome. I think XLab is using the menu statement in Ren'Py (where it shows a choice to select) to create a pause. This is something I've seen here and there in some other games, but realistically this isn't being used in the way it's intended. Unless some choices are disabled — character points are too low, a previous decision locks out a choice, etc. — a menu should always show more than one option and present actual choices. (Even if choices are locked, it's nicer if that's indicated somehow, like showing them in grey font or whatever.)

Realistically, to achieve mostly the same effect XLab is providing with his odd use of the menu statement, there would just be a blank screen — or possibly a phrase in parentheses, like "(Take a closer look.)" — and the player would click and automatically get a zoomed-in view of the girl. It's a bit excessive to tie this to the menu, when simply a pause statement (with no time duration included) would achieve the same thing. If he really wants to have the box around the "(Take a closer look.)" text, he could always use a vbox with the dimensions of a button so it maintains the appearance. (It feels excessive to do this IMO, but if he really wants that look a vbox should work pretty easily.) Then the player can hit space or click LMB anywhere to continue.

Reactions: MAGO-DAG

Xlab

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2018
Yeah, May is awesome. I think XLab is using the menu statement in Ren'Py (where it shows a choice to select) to create a pause. This is something I've seen here and there in some other games, but realistically this isn't being used in the way it's intended. Unless some choices are disabled — character points are too low, a previous decision locks out a choice, etc. — a menu should always show more than one option and present actual choices. (Even if choices are locked, it's nicer if that's indicated somehow, like showing them in grey font or whatever.)

Realistically, to achieve mostly the same effect XLab is providing with his odd use of the menu statement, there would just be a blank screen — or possibly a phrase in parentheses, like "(Take a closer look.)" — and the player would click and automatically get a zoomed-in view of the girl. It's a bit excessive to tie this to the menu, when simply a pause statement (with no time duration included) would achieve the same thing. If he really wants to have the box around the "(Take a closer look.)" text, he could always use a vbox with the dimensions of a button so it maintains the appearance. (It feels excessive to do this IMO, but if he really wants that look a vbox should work pretty easily.) Then the player can hit space or click LMB anywhere to continue.
I'm not adding in the latest updates (Take a closer look).

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I'm not adding in the latest updates (Take a closer look).
Sorry; I'm out of reactions today, or I'd give you a thumbs up. What you say is definitely true. I hadn't even thought about how this type of thing was only in the earlier parts of the game. I do think it's better without those. And to be clear, I'm not criticizing how you decide to write your game really; I'm primarily describing what has been done. Even if you use a statement or similar in a manner not intended, if you get the effect or result you want, it should be fine generally. The only cases where using something in a nonstandard way would actually be a problem are if doing so causes some serious issue in the game's code. Obviously using menu this way doesn't have any side effect.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
well may has her own schemes but still quite loyal to frank.

Xlab

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2018
Sorry; I'm out of reactions today, or I'd give you a thumbs up. What you say is definitely true. I hadn't even thought about how this type of thing was only in the earlier parts of the game. I do think it's better without those. And to be clear, I'm not criticizing how you decide to write your game really; I'm primarily describing what has been done. Even if you use a statement or similar in a manner not intended, if you get the effect or result you want, it should be fine generally. The only cases where using something in a nonstandard way would actually be a problem are if doing so causes some serious issue in the game's code. Obviously using menu this way doesn't have any side effect.
I added (Take a closer look) when we got a nice picture. You skip, skip, stop, wow, nice picture. But a lot of people don't like that.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I added (Take a closer look) when we got a nice picture. You skip, skip, stop, wow, nice picture. But a lot of people don't like that.
Yeah. Generally more clicks (whether in a game or on a website) tends to turn people away. I'm not sure why even only one or two are disliked so much, but apparently they are. I'm glad you followed their suggestion to prevent more complaints later. But ultimately you should make the game you want, and I'm happy to see you haven't changed most things. I like the silly situations and the shifts in loyalty to the MC that have happened. I'm interested to see what happens next in coming updates.

MAGO-DAG

Engaged Member
Sep 1, 2023
Yeah. Generally more clicks (whether in a game or on a website) tends to turn people away. I'm not sure why even only one or two are disliked so much, but apparently they are. I'm glad you followed their suggestion to prevent more complaints later. But ultimately you should make the game you want, and I'm happy to see you haven't changed most things. I like the silly situations and the shifts in loyalty to the MC that have happened. I'm interested to see what happens next in coming updates.
I have an idea that Mc may soon become the leader of the city, what do you think? Everyone plays with him and secretly communicates with an anonymous person, I hope to see how finally some will truly trust in Mc, especially May... the story is really impressive so far

Reactions: Krysis_here

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I have an idea that Mc may soon become the leader of the city, what do you think? Everyone plays with him and secretly communicates with an anonymous person, I hope to see how finally some will truly trust in Mc, especially May... the story is really impressive so far
Out of reactions, or I'd give you a thinking one, because I find that interesting. TBH I hadn't considered that. I suppose it might be possible, although I'm not sure. I'd have thought it would be more likely that he'd be the real power behind the leaders of the city instead. But the other could work if the MC pulled the right strings. He's a gangster, so the town in general would need to be accepting of that if he's going to be in public a lot.

He has the milder type of sociopathy, antisocial personality disorder. He even has the most common manifestations of the disorder: prison time and drug use. He doesn't seem to have alcoholism (at least, not since the game's begun); I can't remember if he had that issue during the process of spiraling into a prison sentence. But he absolutely disregards the rights of everyone else, telling them they'll do something, that he wants something, that they must submit to his wants. Notice how he never asks; he tells. While that can amount to a "take charge" perception, it also means that he oversteps very often. That can get him into serious hot water if he's in the public eye. So realistically, I think his ruling the city will be more likely behind the scenes rather than up front where others can see.

MAGO-DAG

Engaged Member
Sep 1, 2023
Out of reactions, or I'd give you a thinking one, because I find that interesting. TBH I hadn't considered that. I suppose it might be possible, although I'm not sure. I'd have thought it would be more likely that he'd be the real power behind the leaders of the city instead. But the other could work if the MC pulled the right strings. He's a gangster, so the town in general would need to be accepting of that if he's going to be in public a lot.

He has the milder type of sociopathy, antisocial personality disorder. He even has the most common manifestations of the disorder: prison time and drug use. He doesn't seem to have alcoholism (at least, not since the game's begun); I can't remember if he had that issue during the process of spiraling into a prison sentence. But he absolutely disregards the rights of everyone else, telling them they'll do something, that he wants something, that they must submit to his wants. Notice how he never asks; he tells. While that can amount to a "take charge" perception, it also means that he oversteps very often. That can get him into serious hot water if he's in the public eye. So realistically, I think his ruling the city will be more likely behind the scenes rather than up front where others can see.
It's not called the game for nothing<Bad Hero> I think about this as Mc is, the way he leads initially and as the plot progresses, he becomes more restrained, he has been betrayed so many times, but he doesn’t beat them, doesn’t hurt them, except for sexual adventures of course...Angel has already betrayed him many times, Mc even knows a little about it, but he treats her calmly and gives her a chance... in Mc’s place, other bosses would definitely humiliate her or throw her out because of the betrayal, (I haven’t played episode 2 yet) it ended with his goods being taken away, I hope Mc can give them a hard blow back!

I would say MC is too smart for such things, how many times has he gotten into trouble and still he is lucky or solves problems and dangers without fear.

Reactions: Krysis_here
2.80 star(s) 74 Votes