Warphorror

Jan 2, 2018
There is no translation unless added by the player, I completely write and release in english :unsure:
But I know for a fact that it must have something to do with the Character names, I just can't figure out what exactly.
based on https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-maximum-recursion-depth-exceeded.24096/post-1484980 it could be the fact that there is 2 successives variables
File "game/intro_day1.rpy", line 15, in script
"Voice" "Hello [mrms] [pcsure], this is Maggy Shelter. I'm sorry but I have bad news for you."
to interpret and the operating system has difficulties doing so, constantly interpret one then the other and so on until the system stop. But then it should happen to more people and at other moments too so I can't be certain.

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
i've played this game so many times i could probably tell you everything said in it so far .... i have not found any errors ... but then again i don't dig into any script files ... would probably screw up the game if i did

hideouz

Apr 15, 2018
Holy sh... that's a wall of errors.
I actually thought I had that sorted out, I can't even reproduce the error, it never happened once to me and I playtest a lot as you might've guessed :unsure:
Does it always happen? Always at the same spot? What happens if you delete the save and start fresh (you can activate skip unseen in preferences if you want to try).
allready downloaded again and deleted all folders, but still
after that traceback, get the next one and then the next and so on and on^^
also dont know, what caused this

This is just a guess, but it may have something to do with translation files (possibly German), considering this part of the traceback:

Code:
File "game/intro_day1.rpy", line 15, in script
"Voice" "Hello [mrms] [pcsure], this is Maggy Shelter. I'm sorry but I have bad news for you."
File "renpy/common/00library.rpy", line 268, in say
who(what, interact=interact, *args, **kwargs)
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded
File "M:\Neuer Ordner\Bad Memories 0.5.2\renpy\character.py", line 1126, in __call__
what = what_pattern.replace("[what]", sub(what, translate=True))
File "M:\Neuer Ordner\Bad Memories 0.5.2\renpy\character.py", line 1115, in sub
return renpy.substitutions.substitute(s, scope=scope, force=force, translate=translate)[0]
File "M:\Neuer Ordner\Bad Memories 0.5.2\renpy\substitutions.py", line 253, in substitute
s = formatter.vformat(s, (), kwargs)
Or the way "mrms" and/or "pcsure" are defined in the script.
Somehow it creates an infinite loop when combined with (German) translation files.
i dont use any translation
i play like downloaded^^
and on other games, i dont got any problems, cause "german windows" as os

anyway, thanks for try to help me out :]

hideouz

Apr 15, 2018
:unsure: Do you happen to use any special characters (äöüß)?
i dont use any of these
jus downloaded, extract it and tryed to play
may i show you some of the next tracebacks, dno if that helps

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

hm, theres another spoiler at the end of the last one..

and this would go on and on with more tracebacks ;o

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
allready downloaded again and deleted all folders, but still
after that traceback, get the next one and then the next and so on and on^^
also dont know, what caused this
Umm, are you trying to use my transparency patch with this game? Or some other tool that has my patch integrated into it?

There seems to be a problem that dates back to v0.1 of this game and due to the fact that I haven't updated my patch to match character definitions with the new version.

Please just remove y_outline.rpy and y_outline.rpyc and try again from the start. You can just choose not to show dialog box background when you start the game or switch it off in preferences.

recreation, I'm sorry, it's probably my fault. Kind of. Stop trying to find a solution for it at least until we get confirmation to my suspicion.

hideouz

Apr 15, 2018
Umm, are you trying to use my transparency patch with this game? Or some other tool that has my patch integrated into it?

There seems to be a problem that dates back to v0.1 of this game and due to the fact that I haven't updated my patch to match character definitions with the new version.

Please just remove y_outline.rpy and y_outline.rpyc and try again from the start. You can just choose not to show dialog box background when you start the game or switch it off in preferences.

recreation, I'm sorry, it's probably my fault. Kind of. Stop trying to find a solution for it at least until we get confirmation to my suspicion.
ye, i use your patch^^
i hate this box^^

i removed it and looks like it works now - thanks ;o

Challenge

Donor
Aug 1, 2018
Why are there two .exe files, one named BM and the other Not-BM?

Ran a seasrch and found the question was asked before, but was not answered as far as I could tell. Both work, but the second one seems to have a different same location. Is there anything else different between them?

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017

Ran a seasrch and found the question was asked before, but was not answered as far as I could tell. Both work, but the second one seems to have a different same location. Is there anything else different between them?
No, there is no such file in the v05 pc version as Not-BM.exe

Where did you download the game from? Is it the compressed version or some mod?

What do you mean by "the second one seems to have a different same location"? So, is it at the same location or a different one?

Challenge

Donor
Aug 1, 2018
I said it seems to, because the save files weren't visible when I opened the not-bm version.

I probably have both because I overwrite the files rather than a fresh start every time.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
I said it seems to, because the save files weren't visible when I opened the not-bm version.

I probably have both because I overwrite the files rather than a fresh start every time.
Looking at my downloads v0.5.1 had not-BM.exe while v0.5.2 has Bad-Memories.exe

PS: If you're installing a new version of the full game, it's generally a bad idea to overwrite your old files with the new ones. For Ren'py games at least this breaks things sometimes. Best to delete the old files first (except for /game/saves maybe).

Obviously that's not the case if you're installing a patch, as those are intended to update the existing files.

Reactions: Penfold Mole

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
Looking at my downloads v0.5.1 had not-BM.exe while v0.5.2 has Bad-Memories.exe

PS: If you're installing a new version of the full game, it's generally a bad idea to overwrite your old files with the new ones. For Ren'py games at least this breaks things sometimes. Best to delete the old files first (except for /game/saves maybe).

Obviously that's not the case if you're installing a patch, as those are intended to update the existing files.
i don't see what your wanting .. just start the game again .. its not that hard to play

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019

I just downloaded all compressed versions currently still available and it seems as tough either the compressors or recreation had some fun in (re)naming the starters for each of them:

VersionName
0.5 compressedBM
0.5.1 compressednot-BM
0.5.2 compressedBadMemories
0.5.2BadMemories

It was possible to load my current saves with each version and (on applicable versions) the gallery showed the same scenes unlocked.

It seems you extracted two different version into the same directory. As Meushi pointed out, this can lead to problems down the line and is best avoided.

Reactions: Meushi

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
I just downloaded all compressed versions currently still available and it seems as tough either the compressors or recreation had some fun in (re)naming the starters for each of them:

VersionName
0.5 compressedBM
0.5.1 compressednot-BM
0.5.2 compressedBadMemories
0.5.2BadMemories

It was possible to load my current saves with each version and (on applicable versions) the gallery showed the same scenes unlocked.

It seems you extracted two different version into the same directory. As Meushi pointed out, this can lead to problems down the line and is best avoided.
nice break down

4.40 star(s) 198 Votes