• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Mod Ren'Py Bad Memories [v0.8.5] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

IDjeeper

Nov 19, 2020
Hello, are you going to update the mod to the latest version?
if you would have taken a few moments to look at the previous posts on the last page you would have seen that Sancho was finishing up a mod for another game and would start on this one afterwards. It appears that game mod was finished and a bug ironed out on Friday. My guess is Sancho took a much deserved break for the weekend to enjoy rl, and will tackle this one starting on Monday EST (US).

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Actually I haven't had a day off in months now. Last night I finished a VN update that was in the stack preceding BadMemories that I hadn't accounted for. I have one small VN Steam update to finish then I should be on BM. The IDE I work with had an update last night and it's abilities are crippled due to bugs in the update that was automated... so I'm limping a long. I really didn't need a software issue slowing me down right now as it's still so damn busy on my end.

I know it sucks but remember that this VN update for BM is small in content (but going to be a real bitch due to the UI changes), so feel free to use the SaveFixer inside an unmodded update until I'm done if patience is an issue. It won't be the new content that slows me down on this update... it'll be all the "new features" the dev decided to implement that are similar or the same as the mod already did so there will be conflicts in the code by default now. It's likely a real mess and will require more than the normal amount of whiskey to bludgeon through.

That's my excuse... or reality, whichever way you want to take it. I do need a day or two off soon, my private life is going to get way too fucked up if I don't.

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
That's my excuse... or reality, whichever way you want to take it. I do need a day or two off soon, my private life is going to get way too fucked up if I don't.
Yeah, don't go fooling yourself that any of the people round here really worry much about you having a private life... :ROFLMAO:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Yeah, don't go fooling yourself that any of the people round here really worry much about you having a private life... :ROFLMAO:
I've a few colleagues 'round here who worry I'm overdoing it a tad... not to mention my PA who I've recently given another raise to as she's taking on more than her fair share of responsibilities that are really my personal affairs. But she's a badass. I still have a few emps I kept onboard that are pure gold. I wouldn't be able to do half the things I do in this early retirement I started almost 8yrs ago now if not for keeping some key emps on payroll tbh. They are family to me at this point. And they buy me time to do this kind of silly shit with my "free time". :ROFLMAO: :p

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020
Actually I haven't had a day off in months now. Last night I finished a VN update that was in the stack preceding BadMemories that I hadn't accounted for. I have one small VN Steam update to finish then I should be on BM. The IDE I work with had an update last night and it's abilities are crippled due to bugs in the update that was automated... so I'm limping a long. I really didn't need a software issue slowing me down right now as it's still so damn busy on my end.

I know it sucks but remember that this VN update for BM is small in content (but going to be a real bitch due to the UI changes), so feel free to use the SaveFixer inside an unmodded update until I'm done if patience is an issue. It won't be the new content that slows me down on this update... it'll be all the "new features" the dev decided to implement that are similar or the same as the mod already did so there will be conflicts in the code by default now. It's likely a real mess and will require more than the normal amount of whiskey to bludgeon through.

I for one figured that's what you were doing. I have 250 fucking gigabytes of these goddamn VNs on my hard drive because I keep installing shiny new ones and I keep trying whatever you've been making mods for. I've been taking the time to catch up with and clean up what I've been putting off (AOA paths, all Bare Witness paths, all Pale Carnations paths, City of Broken Dreamers, The Inn, Duality, Midnight Paradise, Maid To Please, The DeLuca Family, V.I.R.T.U.E.S. stories, Emma's ending ( ;-; ), Love Season, The Interim Domain, Chasing Sunsets, Grandma's House... I have plenty to do. Still haven't finished Leap of Faith (cell phone VNs man), still need to replay some harem sandboxes like Harem Hotel and Mythic Manor that redid their old stories and early artwork a little, starting over in Karlson's Gambit and Freshwomen because I forgot what I was doing and didn't make notes... fuck then there's Defending Lydia Collier to do... and Deviant Anomalies is borked so I don't know if I should start over again there... I've got a fully loaded Retroid Pocket too... patience is easy! Enjoy your time off!

All I ask is that you consider a small adjustment to SanchoCheats when you find time later on...

I would love to have the default behavior for SanchoCheat option:

Hotkey(StatScrn): T

to restore the screenshot hotkey for hidden UI to Ren'Py default as well as when the textbox is showing. As of now, when enabled, default 'S' for screenshot works great when the UI is there, but I still have to use 'Alt-S' when hiding the UI for a screenshot.

Thank you for your consideration of this feature.

Also, since you'd rather not take donations, how do we donate a little bit to F95Zone? I've searched everywhere in the forums and I don't know how to do so. I saw that you have and I was curious if you had some insight to share.

Cheers, homie, and thanks again.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I stopped contributing to their "beer fund" when they started oppressing my listings. Otherwise their contribution links have been borked for ages... some paypal issue or another last I heard, but I admit I haven't looked in some time now.

... and I still haven't take the time off... but I do need to soon. I'll do my best to clear this workstack before I do though as I don't really need anyone getting their panties in a wad... I've already dealt with enough BS in that TFMG VN thread this weekend that I was about to rage quit (not really but I was sure pissed off). Anyway, that's neither here nor there now... but a refill of this fine adult beverage is in order as I continue to bang out code. I know it's an odd combination :ROFLMAO:

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
... but a refill of this fine adult beverage is in order as I continue to bang out code. I know it's an odd combination :ROFLMAO:
Oh, back before the dot com bubble burst (around 2000) it was still legal in the UK to smoke in offices if the bosses allowed it, and the standard way to spot the coder desks was that they were the ones with the empty pizza boxes, assorted caffeine and beer cans, and an ashtray that looked like a very angry porcupine. :ROFLMAO:

All those late nights and weekends when you are really in the groove, and you know that having to pick up all those mental threads and juggle all the code interactions in your head from scratch will be such a pain you just push through while all the plates are spinning. It really was a lot like plate spinning - easier to maintain it that bit longer than to have to get all those plates up and spinning again from scratch another day.

Reactions: J'Daremo

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Oh, back before the dot com bubble burst (around 2000) it was still legal in the UK to smoke in offices if the bosses allowed it, and the standard way to spot the coder desks was that they were the ones with the empty pizza boxes, assorted caffeine and beer cans, and an ashtray that looked like a very angry porcupine. :ROFLMAO:

All those late nights and weekends when you are really in the groove, and you know that having to pick up all those mental threads and juggle all the code interactions in your head from scratch will be such a pain you just push through while all the plates are spinning. It really was a lot like plate spinning - easier to maintain it that bit longer than to have to get all those plates up and spinning again from scratch another day.
Indeed, I have one of those angry porcupines on my back porch table (I don't smoke in the cabin nor the studios)... reckon I should empty that porcupine container soon. :ROFLMAO:

Rindarion

Apr 26, 2019
I've a few colleagues 'round here who worry I'm overdoing it a tad... not to mention my PA who I've recently given another raise to as she's taking on more than her fair share of responsibilities that are really my personal affairs. But she's a badass. I still have a few emps I kept onboard that are pure gold. I wouldn't be able to do half the things I do in this early retirement I started almost 8yrs ago now if not for keeping some key emps on payroll tbh. They are family to me at this point. And they buy me time to do this kind of silly shit with my "free time". :ROFLMAO: :p
Fuck what other impatient people might say, take your time and if need be, take a break every now and then. I really don't think anyone will die if we have to wait a bit.

Reactions: toobad0912

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Okay, I've been on this for a few hours and have the base Core code ported over.

These new UI changes are.... interesting. I have to start the port by removing all the GUI that I coded in since the mod was introduced as it seems I finally left an impression (the old black and white UI is now completely gone in the stock VN).

As originally thought there is only one new scene that can easily be added to SachoGallery and the MiniStat choreographed for it. It's auto triggered on AtHomeDay(13) which is the latest day in the story so you'll want to replay that day to get it.

Otherwise I'm now stripping all my GUI code out and will slowly fold it back in where needed. It's a process so I have no timeline at the moment. I'll try to post periodic updates, anything wonky I find, etc until it's completed.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I see the root of all the text sizing problems... dev changed some of the root GUI sizes which one normally never does since every single style in a VN is based off those roots so if you change them you change absolutely everything... which is hardly ever desired once you originally start building your VN variable basics.

As an example of the worst offender:
Was before v0.8.5:
Python:
## The size of text in the game's user interface.
define gui.interface_text_size = 33

## The size of labels in the game's user interface.
define gui.label_text_size = 36
Changed incorrectly to:
Python:
## The size of text in the game's user interface.
define gui.interface_text_size = 20

## The size of labels in the game's user interface.
define gui.label_text_size = 25
That's a drastic change to the foundation of core variables and I don't think I've ever seen a VN with it's interface set below 30points or so... 20 won't work for 1080p unless folks have excellent eyesight or use binoculars.

He should have simply just changes the specific style he wanted altered... but that's growing pains for ya. I've sorted it proper, we're back to playing ball again:
1686000450686.png

Reactions: Havik79

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
There is a saying in Germany, "Kein Bier vor 4". It could be translated to something like "No beer before 4 o'clock". So I think you should go for it, you deserve it with how much work you put out on those mods.
I'll give them a new saying: " Kein Whisky bis nach dem Mittagessen " which is supposed to be " No whiskey until after lunch " or something close :ROFLMAO: :p

Reactions: Havik79 and Porthas

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I'll have to make some decisions here. The dev has implemented more than a few of the mod's features for dialogue text but they are certainly coded a bit differently. If I work with the new UI then I have to sort both his stylings and mine (due to the changes) and the base isn't sorted proper imho. If you start a new playthrough in a fresh install (unmodded) and without adjusting any options you can't hardly see the QuickMenu due to the while default textbox... so that must be sorted as it's currently sore on the eyes.
1686001714252.png
I'll got grab that first drink while I get some new code written and decide how I want to go about tackling this and some other issues. If I get frustrated I'll just copy my old GUI code back in and sort it at on a later revision... but that would make me a quitter and won't sit well.

I noticed he changed some variables as well (such as gender type variables, etc) but luckily these haven't impacted any previous saves that I've noticed.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
I'll have to make some decisions here. The dev has implemented more than a few of the mod's features for dialogue text but they are certainly coded a bit differently. If I work with the new UI then I have to sort both his stylings and mine (due to the changes) and the base isn't sorted proper imho. If you start a new playthrough in a fresh install (unmodded) and without adjusting any options you can't hardly see the QuickMenu due to the while default textbox... so that must be sorted as it's currently sore on the eyes.
View attachment 2677712
I'll got grab that first drink while I get some new code written and decide how I want to go about tackling this and some other issues. If I get frustrated I'll just copy my old GUI code back in and sort it at on a later revision... but that would make me a quitter and won't sit well.

I noticed he changed some variables as well (such as gender type variables, etc) but luckily these haven't impacted any previous saves that I've noticed.
Seems like you'll need that first adult beverage to be a double. :ROFLMAO:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Alright... this is what I'm thinking while sippin':

This is the new "Settings" page (two images due to vertical scroll required now):
1686002905723.png 1686002975345.png

My gut is telling me to scrap the VN's Text outline, transparency, and size... as well as that "Line Spacing Scaling" option (that one is a RenPy basic for accessibility that can make things really wonky). Doing this I can simply use the existing mod Core's outline, transparency, and sizing like folks are accustomed to.

That would leave us with the dialogue text color which I should be able to keep without too little drama... that way you have something new to play with. What's odd is that he coded the dialogue text for the straight-up talking dialogue but the "thinking" dialogue text is all still jet black... no option there. I'll insure it has white outlines so readability won't be an issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome as it'll take me a bit to carve out some code mixing both the VN attributes and the Core's.

P.S. - yes, if the dev was stable (not changing RenPy versions all the time and changing base code) and I adored the UI enough I'd spend the time to allow you to select either the VN's settings or the mod's and make it toggled which to use but that's all a shit-ton of more work and I'm not sure I wanna walk down that road right now... maybe later.

Last edited:

Talmadge

May 7, 2018

This is the new "Settings" page (two images due to vertical scroll required now):
View attachment 2677803 View attachment 2677807

My gut is telling me to scrap the VN's Text outline, transparency, and size... as well as that "Line Spacing Scaling" option (that one is a RenPy basic for accessibility that can make things really wonky). Doing this I can simply use the existing mod Core's outline, transparency, and sizing like folks are accustomed to.

That would leave use with the dialogue text color which I should be able to keep without too little drama... that way you have something new to play with. What's odd is that he coded the dialogue text for the straight-up talking dialogue but the "thinking" dialogue text is all still jet black... no option there. I'll insure it has white outlines so readability won't be an issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome as it'll take me a bit to carve out some code mixing both the VN attributes and the Core's.

P.S. - yes, if the dev was stable (not changing RenPy versions all the time and changing base code) and I adored the UI enough I'd spend the time to allow you to select either the VN's settings or the mod's and make it toggled which to use but that's all a shit-ton of more work and I'm not sure I wanna walk down that road right now... maybe later.
I, personally, think what you do is gobble-dee-gunk. I would probably never be able to do it. So I say, do whatever works for you, and we will enjoy it. Keep up the great work.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I, personally, think what you do is gobble-dee-gunk. I would probably never be able to do it. So I say, do whatever works for you, and we will enjoy it. Keep up the great work.
I heat ya... and even though I make these mods for me personally to use as the main priority I do appreciate constructive criticism and thoughts as it insures I keep thinking outside the box... and maybe find something to implement I might not have otherwise thought about. So I guess that makes it a bit more of not my mod but our mod... you get where I'm coming from.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019

View attachment 2677803 View attachment 2677807

That would leave us with the dialogue text color which I should be able to keep without too little drama... that way you have something new to play with. What's odd is that he coded the dialogue text for the straight-up talking dialogue but the "thinking" dialogue text is all still jet black... no option there. I'll insure it has white outlines so readability won't be an issue.

I would personally remove that GUI and restore the default one. But as you know, I prefer simple and hate all these new fancies. Just not my thing. I have dropped several good games because of severe UI changes.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes