Mod Ren'Py Bad Memories [v0.8.5] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
... if I keep that dialogue color change I need to clean it up... it's about twice as large as it should be imho...

I don't know where he "borrowed" it from but he dang sure didn't write it (it's attached for those curious).

dmmt

May 8, 2020
That's my excuse... or reality, whichever way you want to take it. I do need a day or two off soon, my private life is going to get way too fucked up if I don't.
Then TAKE a few days for you Sancho. This is a friggin pirate site, where we "steal" access to someone elses work. Then we whine, when it takes too long to make it easier for us. In short...fck us. Do you 1st.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
... if I keep that dialogue color change I need to clean it up... it's about twice as large as it should be imho...

I don't know where he "borrowed" it from but he dang sure didn't write it (it's attached for those curious).
There's another game that has that also and I forgot which one now.

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
There is a saying in Germany, "Kein Bier vor 4". It could be translated to something like "No beer before 4 o'clock".
I'll give them a new saying: " Kein Whisky bis nach dem Mittagessen " which is supposed to be " No whiskey until after lunch " or something close :ROFLMAO: :p
All across the English-speaking world there's a saying that trumps all of those: "Hair of the dog". That one allows booze for breakfast if not before. Y'know, if we're going by sayings, I reckon that one has hierarchical advantage. Just sayin'. :)

However, with everyone repeatedly pointing out that this is a Pirate Site, technically you ought to all be drinking rum rather than whiskey... Tradition and all. ;)

In short...fck us. Do you 1st.
Did you just tell him to f*ck himself, and then us? :ROFLMAO:

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
All across the English-speaking world there's a saying that trumps all of those: "Hair of the dog". That one allows booze for breakfast if not before. Y'know, if we're going by sayings, I reckon that one has hierarchical advantage. Just sayin'. :)

However, with everyone repeatedly pointing out that this is a Pirate Site, technically you ought to all be drinking rum rather than whiskey... Tradition and all. ;)

Did you just tell him to f*ck himself, and then us? :ROFLMAO:
Indeed... quite familiar with hair of the dog, I should have led with that so good on ya... great Nazareth tune as well... which since it's been a while I'll fire up spotify while grabbing a refill

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Well, I've been wasting my time. That color picker is borked. I made a post here in the VN's thread.

No one else in the VN's thread has said anything about it so maybe it's just me but I have five different systems (besides my main studio rig) and I get the same experience without me recoding it correctly... which I don't think I'm going to do since it'll just be another thing taken.

Time for an adult beverage refill and fire up the grill real quick... I've a couple marinated ribeyes begging to be chomped.

It'll give me some minutes to reflect and figure out what I truly envision the mod to do in this VN in it's current form.

Danv

Aug 21, 2020
i'd say - cut out messy color picker and just override game's new interface and options with mod's existing UI
why fix what not broken? trying to combine whole thing together is just extra work and effort, mod's existing options and look were more than enough

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
i'd say - cut out messy color picker and just override game's new interface and options with mod's existing UI
why fix what not broken? trying to combine whole thing together is just extra work and effort, mod's existing options and look were more than enough
Good morning (CST). I'm on my first cup of coffee and just saw the dev reply here.

With that I tend to agree with most of your post as of the four new UI adjustments stock in the VN noted in post here, only the text outline works correctly imho. It's likely best I scrap all those from the settings page and clean that page up. I had originally expected to find these new adjustments in good working order since the VN is on Steam and I know that crowd quite well, steamers tend to be the pickiest folks of the bunch in most cases.

It is what it is, and considering the update is a one scene update I have a bit of time to clean this all up a bit.

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Current Preferences candidate as of the time of this post. I've sorted the "Text Color Picker" 100%, cleaned it all up, and made it look more inviting to use (no more vertical page scroll now either). Everything is sorted except the "Text Outlines" as I'm still on the fence to use the VN's version or the mod's (which will have to be adapted but is done in-game and is via slider). Had some posts in the VN's thread after the post mentioned above, if interested.

Here's how the candidate currently looks with the mod:
1686070273912.png
Edit: Sorted the screen name... dev renamed the name in the menu but didn't change the actual screen name:
1686070826171.png

With that I'm sure folks will run across these posts and ask why in the hell am I'm dealing with this... and the answer I have is simple really: every VN is the dev's product and it's my job to not only enhance that product but also attempt to work with them and their code as much as possible. Sure, I've scrapped entire UI's (like this VN when it was introduced, the old UI was hideous imho and I needed sunglasses for it due to the large multi-monitor setup I use) but he's trying so I'll do my best to adapt to what is here.

That said I'm thinking about getting cute and rewriting my outline code so that it automatically changes the outline color dependent on the alpha of the white text box so all the user adjusts is a sizing slider. That sounds slick but I'll have to see what I can come up with... it's not as easy as it sounds to code which is why I'm thinking about doing it.

Anyway, busy day so I'll get back to it. Have some IRL obligations I have to tend to as well.

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020
I really appreciate that you try to stay as close to developer's vision as you can. Your mods end up enhancing their products rather than bending them to your will. And if I do want it bent to your will, I can click Sancho's preferences and completely normalize the UI. I usually like keeping the default font and I love that I can change everything else but that if I feel like it. Your hard work is appreciated.

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I.... think I sorted all the things. The color picker and the mod's gallery took the longest to get all the text as it should be for readability and quick changes on the fly.

I had forgotten that I don't have to populate this particular SanchoGallery due to some clever coding I'd done in the past, but I did realize I had been fucking it up in comparison to my other mod galleries in that the damn scenes were unlocking the VN's gallery scenes (if they were still locked normally). That is now sorted as well. I know some folks think I'm crazy for coding my galleries this way but the mod's galleries are always unlocked if you want to see something... but I try to leave any VN gallery (if the VN has one) left completely alone so the Player can unlock them like achievement rewards. That's why I do it this way.

Regardless, it's now past 1700hrs here (5pm) so it's time for that initial adult beverage. I'll tighten up everything I have left (minor tweaks here and there), do a quick speedrun and if all the text looks good with me attempting to adjust absolutely everything normally and extreme then I'll cleanup the Core's code and we're then on to compile and testing.

That's were I'm at, full transparency. I've no new teaser pics as coding UI sucks and there's not much to promote, you'll know if I did a good job by comparing the VN unmodded versus the VN modded I reckon.

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
I.... think I sorted all the things. The color picker and the mod's gallery took the longest to get all the text as it should be for readability and quick changes on the fly.

I had forgotten that I don't have to populate this particular SanchoGallery due to some clever coding I'd done in the past, but I did realize I had been fucking it up in comparison to my other mod galleries in that the damn scenes were unlocking the VN's gallery scenes (if they were still locked normally). That is now sorted as well. I know some folks think I'm crazy for coding my galleries this way but the mod's galleries are always unlocked if you want to see something... but I try to leave any VN gallery (if the VN has one) left completely alone so the Player can unlock them like achievement rewards. That's why I do it this way.

Regardless, it's now past 1700hrs here (5pm) so it's time for that initial adult beverage. I'll tighten up everything I have left (minor tweaks here and there), do a quick speedrun and if all the text looks good with me attempting to adjust absolutely everything normally and extreme then I'll cleanup the Core's code and we're then on to compile and testing.

That's were I'm at, full transparency. I've no new teaser pics as coding UI sucks and there's not much to promote, you'll know if I did a good job by comparing the VN unmodded versus the VN modded I reckon.
Is it possible to code it to where we can use your default UI instead of this new crappy version?

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Is it possible to code it to where we can use your default UI instead of this new crappy version?
I've been merging them basically. The dev has taken ques from me and abandoned the old black/white interface of old. By me doing this it will feel very similar to before with the mod but (hopefully) easier to keep future update times to a minimum (if he doesn't change it all up again). UI coding is certainly some of the most time consuming of coding since everything has to be double checked, nudged, altered, etc until you get it right.

It's why I've been posting some screen shots periodically... so you see how it is compared to previous... and it's very similar to how I had it before (I've always been a fan of semi-transparent windows and mile color schemes personally).

The one thing I'm sure keeping as I had before are the menu choice bars... he's not done anything with them and the white idle/black hovered bars are a no go for me personally.

You'll feel at home with the UI in my opinion... the new and pending actual VN content is debatable I reckon but that's not a problem for the mod to handle.

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
The one thing I'm sure keeping as I had before are the menu choice bars... he's not done anything with them and the white idle/black hovered bars are a no go for me personally.
For comparison:

This is the VN's standard choice bars (top choice is hovered currently with mouse):
1686093595140.png

This is the mod's choice bars (top choice is hovered currently with mouse):
1686093658465.png

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
SanchoMod Update (v0.8.5)
(AKA the "Better Late Than Never" Edition)
BM SM B02a1.jpg BM SM B02a2.jpg BM SM B02a3.jpg BM SM B02a4.jpg
Go get you some.

Links in OP and FAQ (which is inside a spoiler in the OP) are updated accordingly.

Changelog (sorta):
  • Updated to the latest VN version
  • Updated to the latest Core v7b
  • Recoded many "new" features of the base VN.
  • Got the VN's new "Dialogue Text Color" picker to actually work and made it more aesthetical.
  • Fixed every single thing I could find in the wonky UI and VN's dialogue text formatting.
  • Altered more on text/dialogue/UI details than I ever want to do again.
  • Completely recoded SanchoGallery so that it didn't unlock the VN's gallery scenes.
  • Added the Core's autosave system.
  • Added the MiniStat's expandable category toggles.
  • Insured the MiniStat was choreographed properly.
  • Added the mod's missing gallery and cheevo notifications.
  • More stuff that I don't even want to get into at the moment. Have at it.
If you enjoy my work once you've had time to check it out, consider leaving a vote and/or review so others might benefit from your experience. Positive or negative, all civil forms of rational criticism are welcomed and appreciated. Your feedback matters. Regards.

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Yay! It's finally done... and that earns me tonight's first adult beverage or I'll have nightmares of recoding UI script for certain. :ROFLMAO:

All BS aside let me know what you think... but before you're too harsh on me play or look at the VN unmodded first so you know what it was like before hand. That's a fair.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes