Mod Ren'Py Abandoned BadHero [Ep.1 v2.0.4p & Ep.2 v2.1.4p] Multi-Mod [AB & ShaddyModda]

IAmAB

Working on my new Male Protagonist game!
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2019
I'm going to be honest guys, I've been avoiding updating this mod since I saw this:

unknown.png unknown2.png

First one is from my mod, second from the "ModsMenu" that the dev "did" it. I really don't get it, most of the features Shaddy and I added are now magically in game. I don't know what to do.

Spideyknight

Jan 2, 2021
I'm going to be honest guys, I've been avoiding updating this mod since I saw this:

View attachment 1817638 View attachment 1817639

First one is from my mod, second from the "ModsMenu" that the dev "did" it. I really don't get it, most of the features Shaddy and I added are now magically in game. I don't know what to do.
Wow, this is rough. I'm with you on not knowing how to feel about it. I mean duplication is the sincerest form of flattery and all that. Plus integrating a mod is probably a good thing, but you would think the dev would reach and say "Hey man, I appreciate your work, I'm going to integrate it into the game to make your updates easier." Or something to that effect.

JenMistress

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2019

I could be wrong, but looks to me like the Dev stole your work. Well, if that's the case, plus side at least people won't have to worry about downloading a mod anymore, down side is, could have at least asked you guys if they could use it. If anything, put you on the team for future updates.

Reactions: IAmAB and Normdk

Normdk

Jul 27, 2020
I could be wrong, but looks to me like the Dev stole your work. Well, if that's the case, plus side at least people won't have to worry about downloading a mod anymore, down side is, could have at least asked you guys if they could use it. If anything, put you on the team for future updates.
I agree with the posts since IAmAB -> JenMistress.

It is flattery, it is great that the dev saw something great in this mod.

But it is a mod made by IAmAB + Shaddy - and that is why the dev atleast should have reached out and asked if using the code would be something you would allow / if your mod would be something you would consider doing for a long time and getting game data directly so you could upgrade the mod progressivly without having to wait for a copy through patreon etc.

I get it if you abandon this mod IAmAB - it would make me sad as I enjoy your mod a lot, but I am much more sad to see your work being assimilated without any nod to you.

Hoping that the developer BadHero will reach out to you and give the credits where it is due.

Thank you both (IAmAB + ShaddyModda) for the mods so far, and know that it makes a big impression on me when I find any new game where you two have been active with mods - the mods makes the games greater.

/Cheers

Hybris

May 9, 2017
I was already on the fence with this game simply because it felt like it wasn't going anywhere but I will not condone stealing work without due credit especially considering that its because of your mod that made the game bearable to replay after each major update and this whole part 2 nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sativa-29 and IAmAB

Virulenz

Engaged Member
Sep 27, 2017
I'm a little torn here...i mean, i understand-
-the dev for wanting the best code in his game and using the superior one
-the modder being pissed because his code was used 1:1 without being asked or at least mentioned by the dev in the credits
-the users who still want to play the game with the mod
So i dont know what to say...i cant take the devs side because stealing other peopes work sucks, i cant take the modders side because i want an mod update and i cant take my own side because i understand why there is no update...so please clear this up for everyones good ;)

wolfgangmami

Mar 16, 2018

Well in the first look, maybe he is stealing your work. But remember. In the time, somehow maybe you used another person's code or they gave the idea to make it work. They just gave you (Like unity forums or stackoverflow). Maybe you should consider as contribute or trade. In this forum, you are getting a free game and you are giving some solution. Maybe you should get contact with dev and start working together. I dunno this is internet and safety or trust is not much priority here

IAmAB

Working on my new Male Protagonist game!
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2019
Well in the first look, maybe he is stealing your work. But remember. In the time, somehow maybe you used another person's code or they gave the idea to make it work. They just gave you (Like unity forums or stackoverflow). Maybe you should consider as contribute or trade. In this forum, you are getting a free game and you are giving some solution. Maybe you should get contact with dev and start working together. I dunno this is internet and safety or trust is not much priority here
It's because of these type of comments I wanna disappear from this forum sometimes.
If he really wanted to give me any credit he would have contacted me, but instead he just changed one letter or two in my mod and put in his game. All code I have used I asked the person if I could use it or figured it out myself. If the dev asked me to not mod the game I also would stop it.
I'm also doing this for free, never asked one cent, people support me because they wanna. I have no intention of contacting anyone, if the dev wanted to do it he would have done it already. I'm not continuing this because the mod turned useless not exactly because of what the dev did.

wolfgangmami

Mar 16, 2018
It's because of these type of comments I wanna disappear from this forum sometimes.
If he really wanted to give me any credit he would have contacted me, but instead he just changed one letter or two in my mod and put in his game. All code I have used I asked the person if I could use it or figured it out myself. If the dev asked me to not mod the game I also would stop it.
I'm also doing this for free, never asked one cent, people support me because they wanna. I have no intention of contacting anyone, if the dev wanted to do it he would have done it already. I'm not continuing this because the mod turned useless not exactly because of what the dev did.
If you wanna be drama queen, be my guest. This is naturality of the internet (Grey zone). They don't ask permission to use it (Like stackoverflow). All programmers just want solutions (No credit or cash required). Other programmers just give or not (maybe some inspiring ideas). This is how the knowledge is shared (or "sharing"). All YouTube tutorial guys they just giving the fundamentals of everything. Like programming languages, design patters or brainfuck techniques. None of them don't want credit. Because it is hard to set sealed. And let's just say all programmers don't want to share knowledge without credit. How is the other guy will know this info is correct or worth it ? Maybe you knew but Minecraft's gameplay idea is stolen (or inspired) from other game. The original creator of the game didn't care much

soggue

Oct 8, 2018
I feel for the modder's situation, i hope the game developer could at least clarify on what happened.

Reactions: IAmAB

Soulpuppet

Sep 10, 2020

Wow. What a piece of shit. I'm done with this dev. Didn't even have the common decency to ask you to use it or credit you.

Zuul

Dec 2, 2016
Wow. What a piece of shit. I'm done with this dev. Didn't even have the common decency to ask you to use it or credit you.
To play Devil's Advocate here, I highly doubt the mod was created with permission from the game dev in the first place, on top of neither the mod nor any of the mod developer's pages having terms or requests pertaining to redistribution or credit. It's also more than a little ironic to complain about stolen work on a piracy site.

CamaroFan432

Mar 13, 2020
To play Devil's Advocate here, I highly doubt the mod was created with permission from the game dev in the first place, on top of neither the mod nor any of the mod developer's pages having terms or requests pertaining to redistribution or credit. It's also more than a little ironic to complain about stolen work on a piracy site.
But such behavior from devs and comments like this are killing the motivation for modders to create mods for us players without the knowledge and/or time to create them ourself. Why can't devs act like SeathBlack and Shaddy for example. They coorperate and Seath gives Shaddy the credit, he deserves and vice versa. Same with Westy and Shaddy. Don't understand why people need to be so toxic. Especially when most devs make a VN which just gets playable with mods from modders like AB or Shaddy AND when the mods are completly free for us leechers. Don't forget people, they do us a favor and tell us, that's nice if we support them financially but don't have to. I find it sad for AB and Shaddy that they were so deceived. I can understand if it killed their motivation to continue this mod.