Behind the Dune and Vega Hunters Legacy Packs (and all things Balsamique)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote
Dec 11, 2018
When replacing the game save with the ones provided, I always get loaded to the end of the game with everyone in the palace greeting me as the new emperor, no matter the save file I replace it with, also tried the workaround to rename the game to "BehindTheDune.exe" as instructed in the txt file but to no avail. Double/triple checked the filepath, even deleted it and let the game generate a new one, but nothing seem to work.
I've re-downloaded the archive and unpacked everything in a different location and it still works like a charm. I can't try it on a different computer, unfortunately.
Could you upload this beastly save file for me, so that I can see it for myself?
Also, please clarify one thing: When you let the game create a new save file, do you get the result, that you've described, immediately or only after copying it over with one of my saves?

Duriel

Aug 25, 2017
Also, please clarify one thing: When you let the game create a new save file, do you get the result, that you've described, immediately or only after copying it over with one of my saves?
Only upon replacing it with the save files provided in your pack, otherwise its all fine.

Regarding uploading the save file, I'd only be sending you back the same save file you packaged but sure if you think it might have been corrupted or such.

Dec 11, 2018
Only upon replacing it with the save files provided in your pack, otherwise its all fine.

Regarding uploading the save file, I'd only be sending you back the same save file you packaged but sure if you think it might have been corrupted or such.
It works on my end, again. I get the start of the attempted assassination investigation. I really don't know, what could have gone wrong there. I can only assume it's on your end. I wish someone with actual technical knowledge of such things could chime in.

Finuee

Sep 14, 2022
Update!

BtD Legacy Pack
got a few more pictures and a few in better quality, that I've managed to scrounge up from all across the web and from this very thread. Thanks again!
Also, as promised, a set of save files for important or interesting points in the game. All with 100% unlocked gallery, naturally. Be sure to read the instructions on how to use them.

The archive is split into two downloads this time. Because the game versions make up the bulk of the archive and I added nothing to it besides the newest version 3.35.6, I've sectioned this part off into a seperate download.

The gallery of Balsamique's miscellaneous works got updated with a small handful of older pictures from here and there, but mostly with his recent experiments in creating AI assisted art. Mostly jailbait. The stuff, that was too hot for pixiv fanbox.
R.I.P. Balsa
Thanks for all the effort, you're doing an amazing curating work.

Reactions: reynold.biplane
Dec 11, 2018
Will this contain the newest Behind the Dune version?
Not yet. But you can get that version for free on balsagames.com. I will eventually update the pack to include the newest version as well, but it isn't a priority for me, as there isn't much new stuff in it.

Reactions: Nerro

Nerro

Sep 9, 2017
Not yet. But you can get that version for free on balsagames.com. I will eventually update the pack to include the newest version as well, but it isn't a priority for me, as there isn't much new stuff in it.
Do you have a recommended playorder to not miss any content that was removed in later versions?

Dec 11, 2018
Do you have a recommended playorder to not miss any content that was removed in later versions?
Unfortunately not. I'd like to make a list of recommended versions someday, but that requires a lot of work.

Here's just a few recommendtations:
Definitely check out v14. It's very different from versions, that came after. V2.19 has the old design of Alia (less curvy).
And read the changelogs backwards. Look, where it says, that a scene or something else has been overhauled and then play the version previous to that. But not every change (especially in dialogues) is noted.

Reactions: Nerro

halfbakedpotato

Apr 1, 2018
Edited: Ok saw that someone posted the same question....

If someone found the solution, pls help.

"First, thanks for the effort you put in!

I don't get it with the save files: If I replace the file and try to load it, I always end up on day 200 something, all are stuffed into the throne room and it seems it starts at the bonus section.

I always thought the save file would start at the specific encounter described in the txt document.

Tried it with different versions of the game and different saves, always the same outcome.

Would be nice if you could help... Thanks in advance"

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018
When replacing the game save with the ones provided, I always get loaded to the end of the game with everyone in the palace greeting me as the new emperor, no matter the save file I replace it with, also tried the workaround to rename the game to "BehindTheDune.exe" as instructed in the txt file but to no avail. Double/triple checked the filepath, even deleted it and let the game generate a new one, but nothing seem to work.
Edited: Ok saw that someone posted the same question....

If someone found the solution, pls help.

"First, thanks for the effort you put in!

I don't get it with the save files: If I replace the file and try to load it, I always end up on day 200 something, all are stuffed into the throne room and it seems it starts at the bonus section.

I always thought the save file would start at the specific encounter described in the txt document.

Tried it with different versions of the game and different saves, always the same outcome.

Would be nice if you could help... Thanks in advance"
I now have a hunch, as to what the source of the problem might be, since you both report exactly the same thing. Though I might be wrong. I need some additional info.

Please tell me: Am I correct in the assumption, that in your savestate, all characters are alive, except for the Baron?

Also, please test out this savefile here. It should be day 5, you are in a sietch with a Fremen leader, accompanied by Duncan. Only Jessica's boobjob has been unlocked in the gallery.

halfbakedpotato

Apr 1, 2018
Found the solution: I feel like an idiot. You have to click on resume, then it goes exactly to this point. If you load the save file, then it doesn't work. Thanks!

Found another problem: The new saves don't work with the old version, or at least I don't know. Does it work for you? I even changed the name of the exe file and the name of the save file, both doesn't work.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018
Found the solution: I feel like an idiot. You have to click on resume, then it goes exactly to this point. If you load the save file, then it doesn't work. Thanks!

Found another problem: The new saves don't work with the old version, or at least I don't know. Does it work for you? I even changed the name of the exe file and the name of the save file, both doesn't work.
Cool! Good to hear.

I have honestly never considered, whether or not the saves might work with older versions. I would expect there to be some problems at least. I've randomly just grabbed v2.18 and tried a couple of saves on it and they did work, though. Even the post-terraforming save still worked, despite that feature being missing in the older version.

halfbakedpotato

Apr 1, 2018
how do you load it? did you change the name of the file, because the ordinary save file is called DuneV2.sol and the saves you created are DuneV2-22.sol which are for the newer versions.

I get all the scenes unlocked, but I can't start at the given point.

Dec 11, 2018
how do you load it? did you change the name of the file, because the ordinary save file is called DuneV2.sol and the saves you created are DuneV2-22.sol which are for the newer versions.

I get all the scenes unlocked, but I can't start at the given point.
No, I left it as DuneV2-22.sol. I didn't change the name of the exe either. Just leaving it as BehindTheDune2.18.exe worked fine for me.
But again, I've only tested it on one older version that one time. Haven't gotten around to testing more.

Finuee

Sep 14, 2022
If you need help testing save files, I volunteer to test whichever save you need tested in whichever game version you need to test it in. Just list what you need, and I'll try the combination and report the results.

Dec 11, 2018
I've never expected people to try to use the saves on older versions, but maybe I should have. Finding different content in older versions sure would be easier, if you dont't have to start from the beginning each time.

If you need help testing save files, I volunteer to test whichever save you need tested in whichever game version you need to test it in. Just list what you need, and I'll try the combination and report the results.
Sure, why not. No specific version has priority in my mind. The most logical approach, I think, would be to start with the newest version and work your way backwards, until the saves stop functioning properly. Skip over some versions per step to save time, since they don't really change all that much. I'm expecting, that serious problems might start occuring before v2.20 (Shadout Mapes, Yueh, items implemented). Otherwise it should just be some content missing, but everything else working as normal.

Finuee

Sep 14, 2022
I've never expected people to try to use the saves on older versions, but maybe I should have. Finding different content in older versions sure would be easier, if you dont't have to start from the beginning each time.

Sure, why not. No specific version has priority in my mind. The most logical approach, I think, would be to start with the newest version and work your way backwards, until the saves stop functioning properly. Skip over some versions per step to save time, since they don't really change all that much. I'm expecting, that serious problems might start occuring before v2.20 (Shadout Mapes, Yueh, items implemented). Otherwise it should just be some content missing, but everything else working as normal.
Ok, I'll get to it this weekend, see how far I can get. I'll report back with what I find.

Finuee

Sep 14, 2022

Sorry I couldn't get to it this past weekend. I'll be really busy this week and weekend, but I'll try to start trying them saves next week.

Finuee

Sep 14, 2022
Don't sweat it. I'm not sitting here biting my nails in anticipation.
I played around with different versions and most of the saves, and these are my findings so far:

1687275762503.png

So it seems the save format doesn't work at all before version 2.22 (which would make sense considering the save file name), and mostly works after that, except that newer content is not available, and the inventory breaks when the save file includes items that don't exist in that version.

Would you like me to try any version number in particular?

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote