Fan Art Being A DIK: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

scooman

Oct 8, 2022
This will be one of the next when i get faster render settings. I stopped the rendering and did some Photoshop. I Think i have to start from zero with this work. Even if almost everything not visible/necessary is deleted it still needs tooooo long.
Here we have one hour 3%!!!

I would appreciate any help with snipes from render settings. Youtube tells a lot but whatever i tried id doesnt work.
jill dance_0532171.png

lazy_potato

Aug 26, 2019
This will be one of the next when i get faster render settings. I stopped the rendering and did some Photoshop. I Think i have to start from zero with this work. Even if almost everything not visible/necessary is deleted it still needs tooooo long.
Here we have one hour 3%!!!

I would appreciate any help with snipes from render settings. Youtube tells a lot but whatever i tried id doesnt work.
One way would be to use the scene optimizer and scale down the textures but I don't think that's what you are looking for.
Well... If you want to understand the render times, you need to understand how iray works. To put it simple iray calculates every light ray (distance, wave length, reflections,...).
So if you make an outdoor scene with an HDRI and a model or maybe an object the light will travel from the source (HDRI) to the model/object and bounces from there to the camera or in the infinity of your dome. Because it won't bounce much, the light travels a short distance which means fast calculations and low render time.
If you now make an indoor scene where you can see the room as a cube and you place your objects/models, camera and lights in this cube. You will see that the light rays travel from the source(s) to the model/object/walls of the cube and then they will bounce a lot, from wall to wall, from model to wall etc and finally to the camera. The distance and the amount of bounces increase and this results in longer calculation and render times.
The easiest solution would be to delete some walls of the cube preferably the ones behind the camera. A nice tool for this is the "iray section node/plane". This is a infinite plane which deletes every object on one side. Now the light rays can bounce out of the cube which means less bounces and therefore shorter distances to calculate and lower render times. A positive side effect is, that now the light from your HDRI can travel in your cube/room and you will get a nice ambient light.
Another way would be to tell iray how often your light rays should bounce. You can find this in render setting->optimization->max path length. The default is -1 which means for iray something like infinite bounces but this is not 100% correct because after a bunch of bounce iray just stops automatically. Now you can change this and see what happens. I put some examples in the spoiler below.

Hope this helps. If something I said is wrong feel free to correct me.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

scooman

Oct 8, 2022
One way would be to use the scene optimizer and scale down the textures but I don't think that's what you are looking for.
Well... If you want to understand the render times, you need to understand how iray works. To put it simple iray calculates every light ray (distance, wave length, reflections,...).
So if you make an outdoor scene with an HDRI and a model or maybe an object the light will travel from the source (HDRI) to the model/object and bounces from there to the camera or in the infinity of your dome. Because it won't bounce much, the light travels a short distance which means fast calculations and low render time.
If you now make an indoor scene where you can see the room as a cube and you place your objects/models, camera and lights in this cube. You will see that the light rays travel from the source(s) to the model/object/walls of the cube and then they will bounce a lot, from wall to wall, from model to wall etc and finally to the camera. The distance and the amount of bounces increase and this results in longer calculation and render times.
The easiest solution would be to delete some walls of the cube preferably the ones behind the camera. A nice tool for this is the "iray section node/plane". This is a infinite plane which deletes every object on one side. Now the light rays can bounce out of the cube which means less bounces and therefore shorter distances to calculate and lower render times. A positive side effect is, that now the light from your HDRI can travel in your cube/room and you will get a nice ambient light.
Another way would be to tell iray how often your light rays should bounce. You can find this in render setting->optimization->max path length. The default is -1 which means for iray something like infinite bounces but this is not 100% correct because after a bunch of bounce iray just stops automatically. Now you can change this and see what happens. I put some examples in the spoiler below.

Hope this helps. If something I said is wrong feel free to correct me.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thank you so much for this explanation and your time to answer. I understand many other things and i am a fast learner. But i have to be honest. From what you wrote i am on the same place like before. The explanation only in words is to complicated if i dont have it visual.I understand the cube princip etc. but i still dont know the "DO HOW"! In this case it would be easier with analog (Picture) examples/explaning like a fast tutorial.

The last post Lily was around 7 minutes each render. So in the airplane renders is to much unused "stuff". Even if i disabled/deleted almost everthing.

lazy_potato

Aug 26, 2019
Thank you so much for this explanation and your time to answer. I understand many other things and i am a fast learner. But i have to be honest. From what you wrote i am on the same place like before. The explanation only in words is to complicated if i dont have it visual.I understand the cube princip etc. but i still dont know the "DO HOW"! In this case it would be easier with analog (Picture) examples/explaning like a fast tutorial.

The last post Lily was around 7 minutes each render. So in the airplane renders is to much unused "stuff". Even if i disabled/deleted almost everthing.
Ok, how to decrease your render time indoors?
The simple way is just to delete/cut out walls which you don't see on the final render. Basically every wall and object behind your camera should be removed. Here is an example.
section node.png
I used the "Iray Section Plane Node" which can be found under "Create"->"New Iray Section Plane Node".
You could also use "fake" rooms where you only set up 1 or 2 walls. What you don't see you don't need to load.

Another (probably bigger) reason for the long render time in the airplane are the 3 characters plus clothes, hair,... instead of just 1 character with hair.
more characters->more high quality textures->longer render times

Reactions: TREXrg

scooman

Oct 8, 2022
Ok, how to decrease your render time indoors?
The simple way is just to delete/cut out walls which you don't see on the final render. Basically every wall and object behind your camera should be removed. Here is an example.
View attachment 2750012
I used the "Iray Section Plane Node" which can be found under "Create"->"New Iray Section Plane Node".
You could also use "fake" rooms where you only set up 1 or 2 walls. What you don't see you don't need to load.

Another (probably bigger) reason for the long render time in the airplane are the 3 characters plus clothes, hair,... instead of just 1 character with hair.
more characters->more high quality textures->longer render times
Thank you so much :)

I will try around until i get it. Finally after a few times reading i understood :)

Here i made it in two renders. Only Girls 16 min. Only plane 9 min. Pretty interesting how rendertime increase with "ALL IN ONE.
I put them together in Photoshop. But i have the feeling that is not the same result. I`ve been not really looking on expressions, poses etc. I was just interested on result and time.

Jill Strip new_PS_065614.png

KingBel

Nov 12, 2017
Thank you so much :)

I will try around until i get it. Finally after a few times reading i understood :)

Here i made it in two renders. Only Girls 16 min. Only plane 9 min. Pretty interesting how rendertime increase with "ALL IN ONE.
I put them together in Photoshop. But i have the feeling that is not the same result. I`ve been not really looking on expressions, poses etc. I was just interested on result and time.
I recreated your plane render on my machine (RTX 3090), and it also took about 6:30 minutes to render.. using max path length of 10.. rest of the settings on default.. no other light sources.
DIK-Planetest-1.png

scooman

Oct 8, 2022
I recreated your plane render on my machine (RTX 3090), and it also took about 6:30 minutes to render.. using max path length of 10.. rest of the settings on default.. no other light sources.
View attachment 2751957
Fuuha. I thought a RTX will be faster. My GTX 1660ti needed 10:15. So is the card not as bad as i thought.
I appreciate a lot that you have done it. Makes me less trying around and saves my time.

Last edited:

KingBel

Nov 12, 2017
Fuuha. I thought a RTX will be faster. My GTX 1660ti needed 10:15. So is the card not as bade as i thought.
I appreciate a lot that you have done it. Makes me less trying around and saves my time.
I will play around with the render settings a bit more and let you know if I am able to improve on it.

KingBel

Nov 12, 2017
I do think that perhaps it's because I am using the full plane and not one of the provided cross-sections... it would have much less objects and vertices to deal with and should reduce the time dramatically. Removed a few unnecessary plane sections.

switched off the headlamp - and i added a ghost light.. lighting looks a lot better.. but now it's taking a lot longer to render.. 8 minutes and not even 10 percent. Will run out of samples long before it is done...
(I know Lilly looks wrong.. I am still tracking down a few missing assets)

and here it is.. the 0 percent, 5000 samples version with ghost light
DIK-planetest3.png
Will give it a try again tomorrow and up the samples and just let it run to see what the final product looks like at 100 percent

scooman

Oct 8, 2022
I do think that perhaps it's because I am using the full plane and not one of the provided cross-sections... it would have much less objects and vertices to deal with and should reduce the time dramatically. Removed a few unnecessary plane sections.

switched off the headlamp - and i added a ghost light.. lighting looks a lot better.. but now it's taking a lot longer to render.. 8 minutes and not even 10 percent. Will run out of samples long before it is done...
(I know Lilly looks wrong.. I am still tracking down a few missing assets)

and here it is.. the 0 percent, 5000 samples version with ghost light
View attachment 2752302
Will give it a try again tomorrow and up the samples and just let it run to see what the final product looks like at 100 percent
I deleted all what is not visible and still horrible rendertime. But as i told before. Girls and plane seperate less than half hour.

Looks like i started a challenge here :) Learnig for more than me :D

Reactions: KingBel
5.00 star(s) 2 Votes