Fan Art Being A DIK: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
View attachment 3866108
Any tip to improve skin Quality or render Quality?
I don't think there's much one can do to improve how a specific figure's skin will look. I've seen tutorials and instructions on tweking the skin maps and the shader parameters in order to allegedly improve the overall appearance. I even experimented on some characters with one of these techniques ( and ). There's also this one I'm attaching, by isidorekeeghan, on the Daz forums. I haven't tried it, but some of the regular visitors of did and were happy with the results. However, I still doubt about the objective effect of said techniques. IMHO, they can help with poor quality skins, which users should avoid anyway. You can try and give them a go if you have the time for it and want to.

As for the overal render quality, good lighting is surely your #1 priority. I would start from learning the basics of the different types of lights in Daz Studio:

Image based lighting (IBL), i.e. HDRI.

Mesh lights (lights with geometry). You can make your own mesh lights just by making the surface of a primitive object (like a plane) emissive.

Photometric lights, a.k.a scene lights (point lights, spot lights and distant lights). You also can add geometry to point lights and spot lights if you want to. I do that a lot.

There's also the Iray Sun-Sky system, which I've been using a lot as of lately, so much that for exterior scenes I usually prefer it over HDRIs. It is quite customizable. You can even use this mode together with photometric lights if you want to. For that, you'll have to set your Environment mode under Render settings to 'Dome and Scene' and set the environment map to 'none'.

Learn the basics of them all and practice with them in your renders. That's one good way of improving and IMO it's very fun.

There's also the tone mapping tab under the Render settings pane. The default values are a good starting point and valid for most scenes. But learning what (some of) these parameters do can help you in some scenarios.

Under the render settings pane>Filtering you also have the Pixel Filter and the Pixel Filter Radius. The second one controls how sharp or blurry the output rendering will look. The default value of 1.5 makes renders a bit too blurry. A good value is around 1. The lower you make this, the sharper your image will look. For instance, if you want to showcase high resolution textures in detail, using a very low value, like 0.5, is a good choice. As for the Pixel Filter itself, I don't know the differences between the available options. I use mitchell myself, though, because I read that it offers a marginal benefit over other options.

Also, depending on your available graphics hardware, you may benefit from modifying the default texture compression settings. These are located in this path of the Render settings pane:Render Settings>Advanced tab>Hardware sub-tab.

Look where it says Texture compression at the top. There's a medium threshold and a high threshold. Put both of these values as high as you can by pressing and holding the top button on each of these two. I think the default value is 512, which compresses many textures by a wide margin. You don't want that.

Last edited:

Valarcho

Jan 9, 2023
Just noticed the floating glass... ah well :/ :p
Don't worry. The cup thing has happened to everyone. :D Congratulations on the shot.

A few well-intentioned tips to make things better:
1. Try different types of lighting. There is a lot of information in the thread and on the internet. With carefully chosen light you will give more realism to the scene. At the moment the light is very strong and you can see the mat Jill is lying on.

2. The renders with the model lying on the ground are a bit challenging. It's about the laid on Jill's breasts. Yes, it's true she's an AVN character, but if you're looking for an authentic look you should use modifiers for the breasts position. Realistically they should touch the body (especially for models with large breasts like Jill and Bella). Right now the breasts are in position as if the model is standing up, not lying down.

3. I don't know what asset you are using for the water, but for some reason it is not transparent and looks like blue ink.

Keep it up and things will work out(y)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Jumbi and KingBel

KingBel

Nov 12, 2017
Don't worry. The cup thing has happened to everyone. :D Congratulations on the shot.

A few well-intentioned tips to make things better:
1. Try different types of lighting. There is a lot of information in the thread and on the internet. With carefully chosen light you will give more realism to the scene. At the moment the light is very strong and you can see the mat Jill is lying on.

2. The renders with the model lying on the ground are a bit challenging. It's about the laid on Jill's breasts. Yes, it's true she's an AVN character, but if you're looking for an authentic look you should use modifiers for the breasts position. Realistically they should touch the body (especially for models with large breasts like Jill and Bella). Right now the breasts are in position as if the model is standing up, not lying down.

3. I don't know what asset you are using for the water, but for some reason it is not transparent and looks like blue ink.

Keep it up and things will work out(y)
Thanks very much for the constructive criticism. Will definitely look into all your notes as they are all valid and spot on :)

Reactions: Valarcho
5.00 star(s) 2 Votes