Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Acting Lessons?

Depraved Awakenings?

Lord of the Rings?!

What game thread is this again ... oh, BEING A DIK.

At first it seemed somewhat relevant for comparisons/contrast, but now it's entirely OT. Don't be surprised if posts start hitting the bitbucket, just sayin' ...
There is nothing wrong with my post. I simply pointed out the truth of things...
And it was all related to issues around BADIK.

Reactions: Turtlesweater42

Roelandt

Jul 10, 2020
Chick route - Steve Rodgers.
Dik route - Wade Wilson.
Neutral route - Tony Stark.

That's how I identify MC when playing throughout different routes.
Choose your own role model.
I don't know...Tony is a huge DIK. I'd change Neutral Route to Bucky Barns.

Can someone suggest me the games with better characters than BaDIK out there in Private Chat??
I doubt you'll find a game with better characters. I haven't. This is the top of the food chain in my opinion.

just finished Depraved Awakening over the weekend, and i'd strongly disagree that it's better than AL.

DA had toooooo much sexy time.... and the story was sub-par IMHO. bad guy is bad because he want to kill you, and he's into some kinky shit...

main character is also into kinky shit and idk, it just felt off...

started COBD afterwards and it's MILES better than DA. about 2/3rds thru now and its much more enjoyable.

the writing and character development are what DA was missing.

I have to agree with that. DA was, to me, a story where the goodguy was as rotten as the badguy without pursuing that as a plot point in the narrative. I couldn't stand the MC. I didn't want to "walk in his shoes." I can't enjoy a game if I don't empathize with the MC. I guess if I were a sociopath or a sexual predator I would have been able to empathize with him more. Hehe.

The MC's in AL and BADIK are relatable. You care about them and are interested in them. Doc has come a long way.

And City of Broken Dreamers is my second best VN game. Love it.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I have to agree with that. DA was, to me, a story where the goodguy was as rotten as the badguy without pursuing that as a plot point in the narrative. I couldn't stand the MC. I didn't want to "walk in his shoes." I can't enjoy a game if I don't empathize with the MC. I guess if I were a sociopath or a sexual predator I would have been able to empathize with him more. Hehe.

The MC's in AL and BADIK are relatable. You care about them and are interested in them. Doc has come a long way.

And City of Broken Dreamers is my second best VN game. Love it.
in my opinion it doesn't even depend so much on his behavior, it's just the character.

excluding sex, who would want to be the protagonist of DA? few I think, I don't know how many have the dream of being a private detective in a corrupt city, with a failed marriage on their shoulders and problems with alcoholism etc ..

while the MCs of AL and BADIK are much closer to what we were or would like to have been (I repeat excluding sex).

DPC's stories are much more universal, but this is neither a virtue nor a defect, it would be like saying that a drama is superior to a science fiction film in principle.

Roelandt

Jul 10, 2020
in my opinion it doesn't even depend so much on his behavior, it's just the character.

excluding sex, who would want to be the protagonist of DA? few I think, I don't know how many have the dream of being a private detective in a corrupt city, with a failed marriage on their shoulders and problems with alcoholism etc ..

while the MCs of AL and BADIK are much closer to what we were or would like to have been (I repeat excluding sex).

DPC's stories are much more universal, but this is neither a virtue nor a defect, it would be like saying that a drama is superior to a science fiction film in principle.
I'm not referring to the character's situation, conflicts, and job. I'm talking about him as a person. I have to be able to empathize with a character. If I hate him in this format, I won't enjoy the game. Empathy for the protagonist is a staple of writing. If the protagonist isn't relatable to the reader, the story will suck and no publisher will touch it. Doesn't mean you can't write a story about John McClain, Deadpool, or the Joker. A villain can be the protagonist but the villain has to be likable, relatable, fascinating, somehow connect to the reader or the story will fail. The movie Joker is an excellent example of an "unlovely" protagonist that you easily connect with and care about. The protagonist in DA was a horrifying person. Not his circumstances and conflicts...him. His thoughts, he reaction to people. I couldn't relate to, empathize with, or care about him even a little bit.

I'm glad you liked it though.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I'm not referring to the character's situation, conflicts, and job. I'm talking about him as a person. I have to be able to empathize with a character. If I hate him in this format, I won't enjoy the game. Empathy for the protagonist is a staple of writing. If the protagonist isn't relatable to the reader, the story will suck and no publisher will touch it. Doesn't mean you can't write a story about John McClain, Deadpool, or the Joker. A villain can be the protagonist but the villain has to be likable, relatable, fascinating, somehow connect to the reader or the story will fail. The movie Joker is an excellent example of an "unlovely" protagonist that you easily connect with and care about. The protagonist in DA was a horrifying person. Not his circumstances and conflicts...him. His thoughts, he reaction to people. I couldn't relate to, empathize with, or care about him even a little bit.

I'm glad you liked it though.
I understand what you mean.

and of course if you don't like the protagonist of Da I don't want to change your mind

my point was that it is much easier to make BADIK's protagonist "pleasant" than DA's, if DA's had been, it would basically be hypocritical writing.

what defects could the protagonist of BADIK have? being childish, unfaithful, liar .. etc
and in fact he is, or at least he can be, but they are all minor faults

the protagonist of Da plays in another league, his faults are much heavier and more real, but it couldn't be otherwise

in your examples: McClaine and Deadpool are 2 almost comical characters, normal to attract sympathy and empathy
but let's take the protagonist of Taxi driver for example, you can also understand some of his choices, but he doesn't want you to like him, the story doesn't need you to like him

Last edited:

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
Well, I guess is all about tastes and personal backgrounds and preferences. I honestly can't relate at all with BaDIK's MC and find the college tropes boring and less interesting than "noir" ones, so I liked to play as DA's MC.

I know this could be an heressy for some people but I've only made one playthrough in BaDIK (no interest in exploring anything else, thanks) and I got to say that this thread is more engaging than the actual game. As I've said several times this game is like a "bad" soap opera and for me it's far more interesting and entertaining reading people's crazy theories (thanks to DPC's abuse of convenient writting, plot twists, loopholes and red herrings) than the actual plot. I'm totally dettached from this game but, like with bad movies, I have fun trying to guess where would be the next pretendly shocking moment just to laugh at it. Sorry

RRRS003

Sep 6, 2019
Movies based on books rarely turn out well due to so much having to be left out from the book to able to fit the story within a 2 hour movie. Also directors often take liberties with the story and will sometimes leave their own personal touch within it. Off hand I can't think of any book-turned-movie turning out well except for LOTR and Harry Potter.
I said "a movie OR a book".
I didn't talk about "movies based on books"...

(BTW there are a few movies based on books that are quite good, such as LA Confidential or the hunt for Red October, but I repeat, it wasn't my point)

helagertane

Jan 14, 2020
It's interesting to wait 5 months with no problem whatsoever but when it comes to the last stages of the good ole entertainment, It becomes a pain, checking the thread daily to get a hold on.

Can anyone throw the Discord link?

• Sad
Reactions: SirDawcio

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
In AL you are forced into a relationship with (insert name here) no matter what choice about her you make, you can try for any other female in the game......including the nurse and yet again are still forced down one path until the fire episode, the writing in AL is poor at best and most characters are meh and yet surprisingly the best one is the MC's friend.
right at the beginning, AL is presented to us by the voice of the protagonist as the upheaval that his life would have had after having met Meghan ... MC must be with Meghan, otherwise it would be another story

I don't like architecture, but I have to accept that the BADIK MC wants to become an architect

Of all AL's flaws, Meghan is the least

Carnagie

Apr 30, 2017
Treating BaDIK like a college drama, because is maps decently well, anybody else feel like there'll be some sort of twist or reveal or something coming up next update?

Shot in the dark, I think the Triple Betas are supplying and/or manufacturing the drugs.

So far, while there has been a good amount of attention on them, they haven't been overly tied to the plot yet. I think that's where we'll see them coming into things.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Treating BaDIK like a college drama, because is maps decently well, anybody else feel like there'll be some sort of twist or reveal or something coming up next update?

Shot in the dark, I think the Triple Betas are supplying and/or manufacturing the drugs.

So far, while there has been a good amount of attention on them, they haven't been overly tied to the plot yet. I think that's where we'll see them coming into things.
I expect there to be some sort of twist/cliffhanger in this episode, but I don't really see the Nerds being anything more than amusing side characters and certainly not anywhere close to being involved in Quinn's drug business.

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
I expect there to be some sort of twist/cliffhanger in this episode, but I don't really see the Nerds being anything more than amusing side characters and certainly not anywhere close to being involved in Quinn's drug business.
Magnar da Godfather.... I could so get behind that, ridiculous as it is. Wouldn't it be a hoot for that arrogant little prick to have a huge horse cock, be banging Sally, running a drug cartel, and having a squad of nerds to manufacture whatever they need to stay under cover.... Would get my vote for the best twist ever!

4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes