fakitap

Aug 1, 2017
Too late. We're already there precisely because they have given exact values to certain things.
Agreed but you can imagine how much worse it would be if we could clearly know how much the entire houses windows will cost. How much Quinns services cost. How much money the Nerds are paying for Test answers, etc. pp. People would be bombarding him with shit like "Dude, I buy windows every friday and compare prices. The DIKs are getting scammed.".

Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019
Don't think there is a reason to believe that mansion $ and personal $ actually have different values. Unless we get something that makes it clear they have different values both of those should just mean "vague funds" (a.k.a. DPC doesn't want to set himself up for pedantic discussions about something being too expensive or too cheap by giving it an exact value). The colors are likely only so we know if we see $ then it's not going into our wallet (or rather it won't be burned because everyone probably runs out with $$$$$ all the time due to cash being so easy to earn) but into the house fund. As far as actual values go though it should be $ = $ since anything else would be needlessly convoluted.

The uncolored $5000 inheritance however is supposed to be 5000 actual dollars and is not given to you in
$ or $ because
1) the housing fund is really only for the windows so far and unless we continue to use that system afterwards to "keep financing the fraternity"
$ will be quickly cycled out again
2)
$ has a max of 5 which would not really be enough to cover $5000 unless lunch in the cafeteria costs around $2000...
3) it's simply not supposed to be "spending money" but rather "plot money" that we are not supposed to access yet while the MC is "thinking about what to do with it". Maybe at some point Maya or Quinn goes "I'm gonna be sold into indentured servitude by my dad unless I pay
$200."/"I'mma get stabbed to death by hobo junkies unless I can pay $200." and MC reponds, "Well shit, I have $5000 and, as we all know, $5000 is conveniently exactly $200 so here you go."

And yes, I am aware that that would be $50 for college lunch which would still be insane. Not saying this system actually makes sense.
Windows and the yearly pass should cost more than 65$ and 10$ respectively. That's what makes me think they should be about ten to one at least.

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
I don't think that's fair to Maya.

Her explanation at the end of Episode 6 makes it clear that the problem isn't lack of work ethic, it's that her father has the means to immediately bankrupt her if she does not do as he commands. She doesn't have the option of moving out and living on her own for a while to build up money because her father would forbid that, too (just has he wouldn't let her get a summer job previously).

I agree the explanation for WHY Maya is in this predicament makes no sense (cosigning does not work that way!), but that's a problem with the narrative, not the character.
She's 18 years old. Her Father can't forbid anything. Same goes with the people talking about her Father dragging her back home after ep 6. If he does that it's kidnapping. As far as bankruptcy, she has a co-signer so there's no danger of bankruptcy. Finally, if she needs an out there's an Armed Force's recruiting office in every town, all she has to do is sign up and take the oath and all student loan's are forgiven. All that all of the above require's is that Maya grow up and act like an adult.

Reactions: Malicre

AchedCroissant

Conversation Conqueror
May 29, 2020
my girlfriend look very similar to josy but with pure dark hair . same skin and body . and very similar in face . when first time i play this game i think this game developer work together with my gf without me knowing to have her as a character in this game . when i show her this game , she cant believe it . we talkin and laughing for 3 days about it . even though she bite me (in playful way) and ask why i play this kind of game . a week later after that , she dyed her hair and use ponytail like josy to tease me. even until now see keep using that kind of hairstyle and colour . damn
And the proof? because I could say the same about Maya who looks like my girlfriend

fauxre - CGYAM51JYRe_CGYAM1aJgHO.jpg
It is not my girlfriend

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
I try to make sense of what happened in the game.

I think Maya was taken aback by her father's actions. once they had obtained the loan she was calm, but then her father imposed the ultimatum on her, so Maya found free tution as an emergency solution. with college started it's credible that it was late to look for a job, and she couldn't even plan to postpone a year not knowing if Josy would ever join her. at this point I think if Josy never showed up Maya would have accepted her father's money.

we would have to understand what Derek tells her on the evening of the third chapter, when he establishes that he must necessarily rely on free tuition.

and then, but this is my guess, the loan requested with her father prevents her from asking for another one, being already exposed for the first.

but Maya's behavior remains passive

we will save her
Are you really saving her or are you just enabling her immaturity and dependence?

Reactions: scalvi

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Are you really saving her or are you just enabling her immaturity and dependence?
I do what the game will allow me to do.

at this moment it seems to me that Maya continues to remain central to the plot, and for now no trace of individual paths for Maya and Josy

so playing trying to avoid her to complain about having to deal with it seems useless

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
She's 18 years old. Her Father can't forbid anything. Same goes with the people talking about her Father dragging her back home after ep 6. If he does that it's kidnapping. As far as bankruptcy, she has a co-signer so there's no danger of bankruptcy. Finally, if she needs an out there's an Armed Force's recruiting office in every town, all she has to do is sign up and take the oath and all student loan's are forgiven. All that all of the above require's is that Maya grow up and act like an adult.
Her Dad has as much power as she allows him to have, which in this case is a lot, and the fact is that people like Maya exist the world over, people whose lives have been so controlled and ruled their parent(s) that even when they're well into their adult years of 30s and even 40s, they still feel like their lives are ruled by what their parents think and want. Some parents have that power to make their kids feel weak, powerless, and judged and it's not an easy thing to overcome by just saying, "grow up and act like an adult", because it's serious psychological abuse.

This is where a confrontation with Maya's Dad could be a good thing, because she will likely crumble under the weight of her Dad's abuse, and so to have the MC step in and argue for her, to fight for her, can show her that she doesn't have to take it, that she doesn't have to bend to his will. In a way, it reminds of part of a quote from Batman Begins, "People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy". The MC doing this for her could shake her out of her apathy so that when the Dad tries to exert more pressure, she flat-out refuses and this would be of great benefit to her personal growth.

Reactions: Garrett Hawke

Pennel

Jun 4, 2017
I think you guys are putting too much thought into the different money values.

I just figured the money was initially just arbitrary values. You could only have $5 at a time. Any time you spent it, the value needed was just meant to represent how much of a commitment it was. So spending $1 wasn't a big deal, while spending $3 meant you would probably have to miss something else.

Then when the mansion restoration game was added, there was a separate money system added so that you wouldn't have to spend the same money that MC uses for scenes. All money for the mansion was also arbitrary, but with a somewhat balanced approach (if a bit loose). So the end goal is to raise $65, with about a days worth of work being $1. This is obviously not accurate to real values.

And finally, the inheritance is an accurate amount. MC did get $5000 real value. It won't be used for either scenes like $, or the mansion like $. It will be used in major decisions, such as Maya's tuition or Quinn's debt.

Jimmy90

Dec 26, 2019
First post after a loong time. I really enjoy all the theories here, except for one . :p I'm team Jill all the way, and i want to ask your opinions on the date with her, what the consequences will be if we take the blame together with Derek, or if we just snitch him to her and deny every thing? Well technically, he was the one with the lighter to set the alarm, didn't he?

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
at that moment it is clear that MC is upset, in the end if they stopped to talk we would avoid a chapter of the game

but Josy, who is the only one who has literally cheated since she is the only one convinced that she is in a relationship with Maya, cannot blame MC for not opposing to her. it's an absurd accusation

Maya had done the damage previously but on the evening of the return, it is almost all Josy's responsibility that the situation gets out of hand. first she runs away, then makes MC even more angry and finally makes peace with Maya without talking to her about MC
Maya doesn't bring it up either, and she was just having sex with the MC literally minutes before Josy walked through the door. Also, Josy was more honest, she told MC that she was in a relationship, before leading him on so she wouldn't have to be lonely. Maya never told MC that there was someone else in her life, and this after demanding 100% honesty from the MC.

Look, I know how it is with your favorite LI, I feel the same way about Sage. But a lot of the problems in this so called plot stem from Maya and Josy's selfishness. And the biggest flaw in this game, IMHO is that they are never brought to task for it.

fakitap

Aug 1, 2017
Windows and the yearly pass should cost more than 65$ and 10$ respectively. That's what makes me think they should be about ten to one at least.
Thing is we can't really say that without having a real idea how much 1$ even is. Stuff like the cash lying around in peoples places (mostly the preps and mayas board) are pretty hard to guess and the same goes for the test cheats.
Bellas lunch costing
$$ and you potentially giving $ to the guy shaking the vending machine would imply that it's very little. Less than 5 bucks for the vending machine, maybe 5 bucks each (for a total of 10) for Bellas lunch?
On the other hand Quinns spicy and japanese takeout are also
$ and $$ respectively and I honestly doubt she's only making people pay 5-10 bucks. Probably more like 25 bucks for the spicy (which was just intended to be a tease) and 50 bucks for rionas bj?
In that case you would have
$ = $ = $25 and the windows would cost around $1600 while the VIP pass would cost around $250. Somewhat reasonable price for windows since we don't know exactly how many were broken and the sizes are all over the place, definitely not a reasonable price for a yearly VIP pass however, unless this is a dirtcheap club. Don't think there is really an intended difference between $ and $ and it's just that the funds in general are inconsistent and all over the place.

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
Her Dad has as much power as she allows him to have, which in this case is a lot, and the fact is that people like Maya exist the world over, people whose lives have been so controlled and ruled their parent(s) that even when they're well into their adult years of 30s and even 40s, they still feel like their lives are ruled by what their parents think and want. Some parents have that power to make their kids feel weak, powerless, and judged and it's not an easy thing to overcome by just saying, "grow up and act like an adult", because it's serious psychological abuse.

This is where a confrontation with Maya's Dad could be a good thing, because she will likely crumble under the weight of her Dad's abuse, and so to have the MC step in and argue for her, to fight for her, can show her that she doesn't have to take it, that she doesn't have to bend to his will. In a way, it reminds of part of a quote from Batman Begins, "People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy". The MC doing this for her could shake her out of her apathy so that when the Dad tries to exert more pressure, she flat-out refuses and this would be of great benefit to her personal growth.
I get your point but I don't think having the MC fight her battles is what Maya needs. That's just replacing her Father with another man that she is dependent on.

Reactions: Malicre and scalvi
Jan 15, 2019
my poor MC didn't even know that there are AC cars (thats a very big thing because there are no cars in today times which do not have an air conditioner) , his father works hard to make a living and these people have put him in a place where he have to fight for a useless problem compared to his problems

i better give money to the father
imagine giving money to idiots you have met few days ago

The game is fictional so fine

Last edited:

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I get your point but I don't think having the MC fight her battles is what Maya needs. That's just replacing her Father with another man that she is dependent on.
It's not about him fighting her battle for her, but giving her an example to follow, to wake her up to the fact that she can do as he does and that this will help her break free of her Dad, even if it hurts her to do so. Imagine if the MC stands up for her but her Dad stubbornly refuses to listen or care what he has to say, then he tries to tell her to pack her things and prepare to leave; having seen the MC's example, Maya could flat-out say 'no' and, using some of that courage she found when she slapped Quinn, finally stand up to him because the MC, in his defiance, showed her that she can do the same.

This would, of course, be something of an ideal scenario and should honestly be how it goes because it would be good character development, but I'm not holding my breath given that DPC seems to forego such things in favour of characters making questionable decisions in order to drive heavy drama plots.

4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes