ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
The game does have some forced plot elements to it, for sure, but personally I think one just needs to accept that products like these need to have a central plot with its own drama with or without player intervention, otherwise starting from your very first choice you would basically need to start baking an entire branch of a game next to the first one. Like, there is always a central line as the plot (because unless it's a completely free-form sandbox game like, say, Kenshi, there simply needs to be one) and all your choices are just little branches and loops that quickly return to the main route.

And if it's any consolation, lots of people that are more invested in this scene than I seem to be convinced that you'll eventually have the option to pick either Maya or Josy, so that may or may not be a thing.
I think it was fine to force the limited romance with Maya and Josy at the start of the game. But I do think it was a mistake to allow the MC to decline their romance in Episode 4 (or even be rejected by them outright) and then continue to make the relationship with Maya central to future game events.

If Maya is going to be the main tentpost for the whole game, fair. If she's going to be a sort of Disc One boss you can later recruit into your party, cool. But for goodness sake don't try to mix and match the two. You'll just get the worst of both worlds: people who hate Maya will be pissed she never goes way, and people who love Maya will be sick of all the time wasted pretending she isn't our true love.

helagertane

Jan 14, 2020
No one:
Literally no one:
DPC: Here's another D&D
Oh, please, no. I hate it IRL and I hate it even more in BaDIK.

Normally, my irateness with it would end at the end of episode but it seems that we will see it again - not sure, but bet on it.

SteveyP

Jul 1, 2017
I applaud the effort, I really do, but I question whether features like this are really more important uses of time than the actual story of the game and all the various paths.
Well, this is more of a quality of life change with the game rather than some goofy "minigame" like with DNG that brought the plot to a screeching halt. The only thing it did was foreshadow Jill's deal with Tybalt. I see this a welcoming improvement that'll apply to all future updates.

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
Let me try a different tack:

Can you explain why you think it's odd Riona would ask the MC to take care of Sage?

You've made it clear you don't see her defense of Sage to Heather as in any way indicative of of Riona caring about Sage. So why is her offhand remark to the MC different? She's not under truth serum, and she has made no effort to help the MC in his task.

If you think Riona is secretly out to get Sage, wouldn't this just be another case of Riona playing the loyal sister in public?
I never said that Riona was in a secret plot to get Sage, I said that there was no indication, in any of her dialogue that I can remember, that she cared about Sage as a friend or a sister. If you look back and carefully read her dialogue, you never see her showing any feelings of care or affection for anyone in the game, anyone but herself. Finally in chapter 6 she does say that Camila is her favorite daughter, but in my opinion that's just a sexual relationship. We'll see how it turns out. In the mean time my opinion of Riona is shaped by how we see her act and speak in game. And so far that's only been selfishly.

Reactions: Johnyboie
Feb 8, 2019
Can anyone explain to me why MC feels betrayed when he found out Maya dated Josy? I've played this game several times but never got that
Because the dev makes deliberately unreasonable things to make you mad so the thread would have 5000+ sites of ppl who don't have better things to do than to complain. This kind of attention makes him more money on patreon.

KoolMe

Jun 23, 2019

WARNING!
If you haven't played episode 6, there may be minor spoilers for you in this post.
This post contains minor spoilers for an updated feature in episode 7, but it's nothing that's story related.
Read at your own discretion.

This week's status update is a bit different than usual.

I wanted to present parts of an updated/new feature that will appear, starting episode 7.

Many of you have guessed it already, and for others, it might come as a minor surprise.

I have worked hard on updating the in-game phone to accommodate the future needs of the game.

The phone is updated starting episode 7, so it's not a retroactive change. The MC just got a new phone, and it's going to be an improved version of the old variant.

So, what I've done is a rewrite of the phone code. I've left functionality that works well, added new functionality that's needed, updated the GUIs, and more.

I could probably talk about the phone features for hours, but I have to limit myself and let you discover most on your own.

So, I'm not going to go overtly into details, as it's also a work in progress feature, but I will show you a few of the implemented features and my thoughts for them below.

The main GUI is completely new, but it should still feel familiar.

Note that the phone in the picture is from a playthrough without mini-games.

During free-roam events, there's a music bar displaying the name of the song that's currently playing. You can toggle this bar on or off if you'd rather see more of the wallpaper behind it.

In this picture you can see three new apps, and also notice the absence of some. Some apps may have been removed, some apps may have been merged.

The two new apps in this picture are 2D art and Pack Quest. You've come into contact with both of them in episode 6.

They will be handled directly from your phone starting episode 7.

With the exception of a few apps, most apps have been (or will be) revamped.

Two apps I'm particularly excited about are the Music and Bios apps.

In the Music app, you can now filter songs by genre, and I have included a genre for licensed music that many of you wanted to be able to play.

You can also set songs as favorites and have a playlist with just your favorite tunes.

This means that you can choose to have a customized playlist that you can play during free roam events.

I can't show you too much of the Bios app, but it's going to be a tilted version of the phone where each character will have their own screen with past choices and events.

Without getting into detail, a subset of other features that you can expect from the new phone are:

• Customizable/favorite/randomized wallpaper functionality.
  • Simple emoticons in text messages.
  • Animated transitions and screens.
The phone feels very modern and it's an enjoyable experience using it.

I hope that you will come to love it as much as I already do.

Have a nice weekend!

Dr PinkCake
Hmmmm
Dr Pink Jobs new revolutionary Galaxy S9 , with less apps , more wallpapers

Also
I thought the 2d pics were for decorating and customizing the crib ( I was hoping to hang a quin pin up over the bed to scare off Maya )
or are they meant to be phone and or laptop wall papers

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
Because the dev makes deliberately unreasonable things to make you mad so the thread would have 5000+ sites of ppl who don't have better things to do than to complain. This kind of attention makes him more money on patreon.
I think that's a needlessly cynical view. I feel like it's more likely that writing is hard, some times more than others, and manufacturing drama smoothly can get tricky.

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
The game does have some forced plot elements to it, for sure, but personally I think one just needs to accept that products like these need to have a central plot with its own drama with or without player intervention, otherwise starting from your very first choice you would basically need to start baking an entire branch of a game next to the first one. Like, there is always a central line as the plot (because unless it's a completely free-form sandbox game like, say, Kenshi, there simply needs to be one) and all your choices are just little branches and loops that quickly return to the main route.

And if it's any consolation, lots of people that are more invested in this scene than I seem to be convinced that you'll eventually have the option to pick either Maya or Josy, so that may or may not be a thing.
I just recently started playing Heavy Five, the dev in that game is shooting for 200 endings, with dozens of branching paths for every LI. So it can be done.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017

WARNING!
If you haven't played episode 6, there may be minor spoilers for you in this post.
This post contains minor spoilers for an updated feature in episode 7, but it's nothing that's story related.
Read at your own discretion.

This week's status update is a bit different than usual.

I wanted to present parts of an updated/new feature that will appear, starting episode 7.

Many of you have guessed it already, and for others, it might come as a minor surprise.

I have worked hard on updating the in-game phone to accommodate the future needs of the game.

The phone is updated starting episode 7, so it's not a retroactive change. The MC just got a new phone, and it's going to be an improved version of the old variant.

So, what I've done is a rewrite of the phone code. I've left functionality that works well, added new functionality that's needed, updated the GUIs, and more.

I could probably talk about the phone features for hours, but I have to limit myself and let you discover most on your own.

So, I'm not going to go overtly into details, as it's also a work in progress feature, but I will show you a few of the implemented features and my thoughts for them below.

The main GUI is completely new, but it should still feel familiar.

Note that the phone in the picture is from a playthrough without mini-games.

During free-roam events, there's a music bar displaying the name of the song that's currently playing. You can toggle this bar on or off if you'd rather see more of the wallpaper behind it.

In this picture you can see three new apps, and also notice the absence of some. Some apps may have been removed, some apps may have been merged.

The two new apps in this picture are 2D art and Pack Quest. You've come into contact with both of them in episode 6.

They will be handled directly from your phone starting episode 7.

With the exception of a few apps, most apps have been (or will be) revamped.

Two apps I'm particularly excited about are the Music and Bios apps.

In the Music app, you can now filter songs by genre, and I have included a genre for licensed music that many of you wanted to be able to play.

You can also set songs as favorites and have a playlist with just your favorite tunes.

This means that you can choose to have a customized playlist that you can play during free roam events.

I can't show you too much of the Bios app, but it's going to be a tilted version of the phone where each character will have their own screen with past choices and events.

Without getting into detail, a subset of other features that you can expect from the new phone are:

• Customizable/favorite/randomized wallpaper functionality.
  • Simple emoticons in text messages.
  • Animated transitions and screens.
The phone feels very modern and it's an enjoyable experience using it.

I hope that you will come to love it as much as I already do.

Have a nice weekend!

Dr PinkCake
Seems interesting. It indeed looks like a actual smarthphone now. I just hope this doesn't mean another extra month for the update... :unsure:

Can anyone explain to me why MC feels betrayed when he found out Maya dated Josy? I've played this game several times but never got that
To make open the possibility of the protagonist going on a polyamour route with Maya&Josy, leave on unfriendly terms or leave as friends and likely opening route for a single relationship with one of the two.

It felt jarring because there was no development on why the Protagonist should feel betrayed ingame. He knows Josy for a few months and Maya not even that. Plus he wasn't in a relationship with neither of them. He just needed to "feel angry" to set up those situations above.

Last edited:
Reactions: phuto

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
I just recently started playing Heavy Five, the dev in that game is shooting for 200 endings, with dozens of branching paths for every LI. So it can be done.
I'll believe it can be done when I see it, but when someone's throwing those kinds of numbers around I'm going to get worried about implementation. I mean, one could argue that Pillars of Eternity has hundreds of endings, but that would be a terrible misrepresentation. Technically correct, but just not how one should ever phrase it.

For those who don't know, Pillars of Eternity's ending is sort of a slideshow for major quest resolutions - a kind of "and after our story, shit happened/[character] did a thing" - with the slides you get depending on the choices you made during said quests. That's a bunch of checks for choices, but let's say you have ten major quests over the course of the game, and each of those has at least two outcomes. That's.... Well, I don't really equations all that good, but that's roughly [big number] variations, meaning [big number] players could theoretically have a unique ending compared to [big number -1] other players.

I'mma be blunt, this sounds like a marketing ploy and it shouldn't convince anyone of anything, it should raise alarms. Now, I'm not trying to suggest the dev of Heavy Five is intentionally trying to mislead, I've never spoken to him/her, but I've seen this thing I described before, so I feel justified in my skepticism.

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
I'll believe it can be done when I see it, but when someone's throwing those kinds of numbers around I'm going to get worried about implementation. I mean, one could argue that Pillars of Eternity has hundreds of endings, but that would be a terrible misrepresentation. Technically correct, but just not how one should ever phrase it.

For those who don't know, Pillars of Eternity's ending is sort of a slideshow for major quest resolutions - a kind of "and after our story, shit happened/[character] did a thing" - with the slides you get depending on the choices you made during said quests. That's a bunch of checks for choices, but let's say you have ten major quests over the course of the game, and each of those has at least two outcomes. That's.... Well, I don't really equations all that good, but that's roughly [big number] variations, meaning [big number] players could theoretically have a unique ending compared to [big number -1] other players.

I'mma be blunt, this sounds like a marketing ploy and it shouldn't convince anyone of anything, it should raise alarms. Now, I'm not trying to suggest the dev of Heavy Five is intentionally trying to mislead, I've never spoken to him/her, but I've seen this thing I described before, so I feel justified in my skepticism.
If you actually played the game I don't think you'd say that. But even if the dev's goals are too lofty (I don't think they are) it shows that it can be done, even in the three chapters completed there are many branching paths. DPC isn't even being asked to do nearly that much.

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
If you actually played the game I don't think you'd say that. But even if the dev's goals are too lofty (I don't think they are) it shows that it can be done, even in the three chapters completed there are many branching paths. DPC isn't even being asked to do nearly that much.
I mean, someone wanting to do it does not show that it is doable. Doing it shows it is doable. Have you seen footage of Olympic gymnasts from the 60s? If you told them what modern gymnasts can do they would laugh at you. If you showed them what modern gymnasts doing the shit they do, it would drop their jaws.

Anyways, you would at least need to define what constitutes an ending. Let's take my Pillars of Eternity example again, and let's say you start the game from the left, so to the right you have the final boss and what you decide to do with him. This matters, because what I'm asking here is all about perception.

GoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGood
NeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutral
EvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvil

So let's say each quest has a route for each alignment, each different from the other. Obviously the ones above are different endings, no doubt we agree on that, one being purely Good playthrough, one pure Neutral, and the last one pure Evil.

NeutralGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGood
NeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralEvilEvilEvil
GoodGoodGoodNeutralNeutralNeutralEvilEvilEvilEvil

But what about now? The Good route is still 90% identical. Personally, I feel like you're really stretching it if you consider this a different ending from pure Good.

What about the neutral path? That's 70% the same as pure Neutral. If you lump them up like this toward the end of the game it would kind of tell a story in itself, so I would definitely qualify that as a separate ending. But if you've sprinkled the Evil choices throughout the game then it would have played out more like another Neutral game but with a slightly darker tone.

The last one is... Well, it's a descent into darkness, I guess. This one is obviously very different from any pure [Alignment] and so easily qualifies for me.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the whole 200 endings thing sounds like one big , which is why I'm hesitant to believe it at face value.

EDITED a bit, cleaned up and clarified some stuff.

Last edited:

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
I mean, someone wanting to do it does not show that it is doable. Doing it shows it is doable. Have you seen footage of Olympic gymnasts from the 60s? If you told them what modern gymnasts can do they would laugh at you. If you showed them what modern gymnasts doing the shit they do, it would drop their jaws.

Anyways, you would need to define what constitutes an ending. Let's take my Pillars of Eternity example again, and let's say you start the game from the left, so to the right you have the final boss and what you decide to do with him.

GoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGood
NeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutral
EvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvilEvil

Let's say each quest has a route for each alignment, each different from the other. Obviously the ones above are different endings, no doubt we agree on that, one being purely Good, one pure Neutral, the last one pure Evil.

NeutralGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGoodGood
NeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralEvilEvilEvil
GoodGoodGoodNeutralNeutralNeutralEvilEvilEvilEvil

But what about now? The Good route is still 90% identical. Personally, I feel like you're really stretching it if you consider this a different ending from pure Good.

What about the neutral path? That's 70% the same as pure Neutral. If you lump them up like this toward the end of the game it would kind of tell a story in itself, so I would definitely qualify that as a separate ending. But if you have sprinkled the Evil choices throughout the game then it would have played out more like another Neutral game but with a slightly darker tone.

The last one is... Well, it's a descent into darkness, I guess. This one is obviously very different from any pure [Alignment] and so easily qualifies for me.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the whole 200 endings thing sounds like one big , which is why I'm hesitant to believe it at face value.
Ah, so you just dismiss it out of hand, without even looking at what the dev is talking about. Hey I don't care either way, it's your loss.

My point was it's possible for a solo dev, like DPC, to make a game with branching path's.

Notty (the dev of the game I'm talking about) is doing it right now with characters and dialogue that are just as good, if not better, than DPC's. And it seems that I'm not the only one who think's so because she's racking up awards left and right, even one from F95zone.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
I never said that Riona was in a secret plot to get Sage, I said that there was no indication, in any of her dialogue that I can remember, that she cared about Sage as a friend or a sister. If you look back and carefully read her dialogue, you never see her showing any feelings of care or affection for anyone in the game, anyone but herself. Finally in chapter 6 she does say that Camila is her favorite daughter, but in my opinion that's just a sexual relationship. We'll see how it turns out. In the mean time my opinion of Riona is shaped by how we see her act and speak in game. And so far that's only been selfishly.
That doesn't actually answer the question I asked. I quoted the post where you said it was "odd" that Riona told the MC to take care of Sage because Riona has never cared about Sage. Now you're saying that Riona has never shown any indication about anyone but herself period (then list an example of her doing just that and say it doesn't count for arbitrary reasons). At this point, I'm just trying to understand what you thought was odd about Riona's request to the MC.

Look, if you don't really find it to be odd on close examination, fine; we can add Riona's character and motivations top the vast pile of things we disagree about. But if you still think her behavior is odd, could you articulate why that particular interaction (asking the MC to take care of Sage) is more revealing of her than telling Heather not to second guess Sage's decisions?

4.80 star(s) 1,549 Votes