4.50 star(s) 8 Votes

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I think my thoughts on DAZ 3D's inability to properly seat figures are well documented in this thread.
And the fact that dForce will blow up if clothing gets too "pinched" certainly doesn't help. :)

Reactions: Darkaura

WBWB

Jul 8, 2017
And the fact that dForce will blow up if clothing gets too "pinched" certainly doesn't help. :)
Dforce is very hit or miss. To do the above render I had to hide the strapless and move Alice out of the way so that nothing but Lisa's bod would affect the skirt during the simulation. Otherwise Lisa and Alice occupying the same spot while in the zero pose at the start of the simulation would have shredded the clothes. I also had to apply a little "wind" effect in every direction to make sure the skirt was not clipping her hips and ass in the zero pose. Any clipping at the start in the zero pose causes the cloth to get stuck to the skin and ruin the simulation even if there is normally no clipping in the desired pose. I'm pretty much committed to always adding a 0.2 push modifier just to be sure there is no clipping.

And with chairs, tables, etc. often the zero pose is clipping them, so again the simulation is ruined. Can't hide these objects because we want the cloth to drape on them. There's probably a workaround that I haven't learned yet. There is an option to simulate using only the final pose but that never seems to give reasonable results.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
One of the techniques that is commonly used with dForce is to "animate into" the final pose from a pose or position that isn't offensive to dForce. For example, sometimes what people do is to start a piece of clothing out "scaled up" by 5-10% to avoid the clipping issue, and then have the item "shrink down to 100%" over the course of the animation. This gives dForce the opportunity to shift the vertices as it needs to as things approach the final position. Similarly, sometimes you can "T-pose" a figure and then animate towards the final pose, or "start the cloth above the item and let gravity drop it," again giving dForce the opportunity to avoid badness since it gets to process the small frame-to-frame deltas to avoid intersections, as opposed to being confronted with "everything's self-intersecting" right at the start.

WBWB

Jul 8, 2017
One of the techniques that is commonly used with dForce is to "animate into" the final pose from a pose or position that isn't offensive to dForce. For example, sometimes what people do is to start a piece of clothing out "scaled up" by 5-10% to avoid the clipping issue, and then have the item "shrink down to 100%" over the course of the animation. This gives dForce the opportunity to shift the vertices as it needs to as things approach the final position. Similarly, sometimes you can "T-pose" a figure and then animate towards the final pose, or "start the cloth above the item and let gravity drop it," again giving dForce the opportunity to avoid badness since it gets to process the small frame-to-frame deltas to avoid intersections, as opposed to being confronted with "everything's self-intersecting" right at the start.
Okay all of that makes sense. I animated Max into position from below and behind Lisa in order to catch his head under the skirt. Got the effect I wanted, only to find the cloth doesn't interact well with his hair.
Max under skirt 1.png

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Okay all of that makes sense. I animated Max into position from below and behind Lisa in order to catch his head under the skirt. Got the effect I wanted, only to find the cloth doesn't interact well with his hair.
View attachment 89401
if it isn't one thing, it's another, right? LOL Maybe introduce a sphere into the scene? Either parented to Max's head/hair or just positioned (or animated to) where you need it? I think you could have the sphere be transparent (set opacity to 0) and still have it act as a collision target for dForce.

Shape

Dec 7, 2017
Reactions: lexus

WBWB

Jul 8, 2017
if it isn't one thing, it's another, right? LOL Maybe introduce a sphere into the scene? Either parented to Max's head/hair or just positioned (or animated to) where you need it? I think you could have the sphere be transparent (set opacity to 0) and still have it act as a collision target for dForce.
Oops, forgot to make it transparent.
Max under skirt 2.png

4.50 star(s) 8 Votes