3D-Blender Blender Art - Show Us Your Blender Skill

BobbySnaxey

Jul 25, 2020
Nah, in the end I didn't continue using it. Did you tried it yourself ?

Instead I've been tweaking my own BSDF nodes, it gives you more control and you may learn a couple of tricks.
It may not perfect, but personally I like it that way :)

Below is two quick examples of my amateur tests (it's waaaay beyond perfect, still trying to get rid of fireflies in the 1st pic :cry: )

View attachment 2087748 View attachment 2087749
I'm still running with Miki's shader.
I'm not smart enough to make my own or try anything else lol :LOL:

BobbySnaxey

Jul 25, 2020
I'm not super smart :p , I just look at how others are doing, then trying to do it myself, grabbing information here and there.

Does Miki already released his shader ? I didn't seems to find it.
Still not released yet.
If you message him you can ask if you can be in the beta. :)

Apr 21, 2022
Working myself on a new character to try out some animations later on. Happy with how she generally looks (while being bald), but I just cant get over the thing that something looks wrong with her lips. I have had this problem before with other characters. No idea what it is, just something looks off with lips that are less puffy. Anyone got an idea what it could be?

For references I added the first character where I think the lips look more real. Exactly the same render/material settings (bald, no clothes, no shadows).

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Make bottom of lower lip go down further.
Also, depending on the style you're going for, consider softening the boundary between lip and skin.

Kyuunspiracy

May 7, 2019
Yeah. I tried curves for a bit but released quickly the tutorials on youtube make it look a lot easier then it is. Would take a long time to learn it. And the shader doesn't work well with hair particles unfortunately. Which is a bit of a bummer since the shader works great for everything ells, just this small issue. Maybe with the new curve system they are working on.

Besides i'm lazy and just prefer to take hair models from DAZ, import and alter them a bit, throw on the shader and be done. Especially if I want to try making an actual game in this artstyle with more then 2 characters.

Anyway I came across some methods that worked on the girl (long hair) but not on the male (short hair), and vice versa, in the past weeks. I will prob just stick with using different methods for different hair lengths. Not the best solution but better than nothing. Here is the female for somewhat the look It would end up with: View attachment 2030624

Could be better, but I personally like it more than without it for situation it makes sense.

It's best to just leave it here and go on the next part i wanna work on: creating an animation.
Oh nice, using the Lightning Boy Studio method. And you're using freestyle/ grease pencil too? Any updates?

May 23, 2020
The problem with HDRIs is they can be badly made. In the first one, her skin looks too bright for the overcast sky, but I don't know if that's a problem with your shader or the HDRI.
This is a test of how the bounce coloration of the material changes according to different colors in the environment and how it behaves in low illumination. I have used a basic light source for some shadow/volume. I have not taken into account in the integration with the hdri.

One aspect I didn't like about the Diffeomorphic shader is the color palette and the use of strong lights.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Oh nice, using the Lightning Boy Studio method. And you're using freestyle/ grease pencil too? Any updates?
I'm using their shader yeah. Started out with trying to make my own using their tutorials, but just buying their shader was much easier. And no freestyle/grease pencil, the shader comes with a outline effect you can add.

Have been on vacation for a couple weeks, no updates. Prob will start working on it again next week.

Apr 21, 2022
It's like looking at an optical illusion. I kinda feel like her head is too big for her body? And the (actually quite cool) camera tricks in the third batch of images only make it worse. She looks 18 and 36 at the same time, somehow.

Are you shooting for a stylized or photo-realism? The materials are great, there's just a lot of jank to the character shape I can't quite process, visually.

Edit: Wait, that's Eevee!? Wow. You knocked the Lighting and Materials out of the park!

Last edited:
Reactions: UndercoverLover

xmalefica

Oct 19, 2022
It's like looking at an optical illusion. I kinda feel like her head is too big for her body? And the (actually quite cool) camera tricks in the third batch of images only make it worse. She looks 18 and 36 at the same time, somehow.

Are you shooting for a stylized or photo-realism? The materials are great, there's just a lot of jank to the character shape I can't quite process, visually.

Edit: Wait, that's Eevee!? Wow. You knocked the Lighting and Materials out of the park!
Looks like her head is a bit bigger then it should be, an accidental mess up with the morphs but I think its just the last batch. Thanks for pointing it out! Photo-realism is bit far fetched for raytraced let alone eevee and i think it doesnt always look good, so im aiming for something that looks good.

Apr 21, 2022
Looks like her head is a bit bigger then it should be, an accidental mess up with the morphs but I think its just the last batch. Thanks for pointing it out! Photo-realism is bit far fetched for raytraced let alone eevee and i think it doesnt always look good, so im aiming for something that looks good.
Sorry, but I'm trying to say it doesn't look good. Everything looks excellent except the morphs. Unfortunately, getting a good morph is essential.

It's as if the skull is anime-sized, but the face is a realistic western woman in her 40s. When I say photo-real, I just mean the shape, not Surface. Genesis 8 Female default has a more photo-real shape than FemShep from Mass Effect, who has a more photo-real shape than Tifa from Final Fantasy Remake, who has a more photo-real shape than Princess Peach.

And is it just me, or does her jaw completely change shape when she shows teeth? Compare her jawline in image 4 and image 5.

Based on image 2, I'm pretty sure her head has the same diameter as her entire waist.

I don't know how you got this shape, but it has some issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: xmalefica
Apr 21, 2022
I was trying-out the new Daz Genesis 9 textures. They look kinda nice with Principled shader and some tweaking in Blender :)

Here is an "expressionless" portrait, please note that I'm still an amateur.

View attachment 2126805
So this is the new generation. It looks very technically impressive, especially the hair. The preview animation on Daz's website looks absolutely awful, so this is a surprisingly useful comparison for deciding whether/when to upgrade.

Are the hairs all individual 3D modeled tubes or what?

xmalefica

Oct 19, 2022
Sorry, but I'm trying to say it doesn't look good. Everything looks excellent except the morphs. Unfortunately, getting a good morph is essential.

It's as if the skull is anime-sized, but the face is a realistic western woman in her 40s. When I say photo-real, I just mean the shape, not Surface. Genesis 8 Female default has a more photo-real shape than FemShep from Mass Effect, who has a more photo-real shape than Tifa from Final Fantasy Remake, who has a more photo-real shape than Princess Peach.

And is it just me, or does her jaw completely change shape when she shows teeth? Compare her jawline in image 4 and image 5.

Based on image 2, I'm pretty sure her head has the same diameter as her entire waist.

I don't know how you got this shape, but it has some issues.
Photorealism I was talking about in terms of lighting and materials. When it comes to shaping, yes I am generally aiming at realism, id love your opinion on future renders that I post in this regard however keep in mind that some distortions do happen due to camera angle, variations in a field of view, and the general pose as well. For example, i think in the jaw case you mentioned, her jaw is slightly nudged forward in the pose which i think there is nothing wrong with that technically people can and do that, whether its a good choice to have her do that is a slightly different question. Thanks for the feedback!