3D-Blender Blender Art - Show Us Your Blender Skill

BobbySnaxey

Jul 25, 2020
Dude. Show us your skin nodes. You've got a range of sheen going on there that's pretty impressive.

Her fingernails kinda look like marble though. I'm not really sure how to fix that, but I suspect overzealous SSS is to blame one way or another.

If this is eevee, and you're using mesh hair, I know some Hair Tricks you might be able to benefit from. (Long story short: use a blend of texture UVs and Reflection coordinates to fake eevee-friendly anisotropy.)
I'm using Mustard's Lara model.
You can find her here
Tho I'm using the Shadow of The Tomb Raider version which is Patreon only, but there should not be a difference in the skin shader. :)

Apr 21, 2022
I'm using Mustard's Lara model.
You can find her here
Tho I'm using the Shadow of The Tomb Raider version which is Patreon only, but there should not be a difference in the skin shader. :)
Hmm. Please double-check for me. I don't expect you to post a screenshot of the patreon-only skin shader, but visually compare the two and let me know if they're the same.

Looking at the screenshots on the Rise of the Tomb Raider version, it seems like the specular light is a lot less rough. There could be other differences, too, I don't know yet, but that spec really jumps out.

They're going for a "make the skin look wet from a distance without actually putting any beaded-up water drops on it" effect, whereas you're doing more of a "soft silky glow" thing and knocking it out of the park.

Apr 21, 2022
Just thought I'd share this here. It's actually a WIP of a new character texture I'm working on. It's not quite there yet. It uses 16k Textures, so progress is very slow. Lots of details to fiddle with.

AprilFools1.jpg

I've been using Blender to generate textures for some of the sculpting brushes, so I think it technically counts as an honorary showcase of my Blender skill, even though this was rendered in Maya...

PSYCHE! :LOL:

Just kidding! It's not using 16k textures at all! And it's not actually made using Maya! I just tweaked the background color to make it kinda look like Maya's UI.

It's actually just the plain old default Genesis 8 Female!

AprilFools2.jpg

But I had a few of you fooled for a moment, there, didn't I? :) That's the power of these new post-processing techniques I'm using. By hand-painting and carefully blending everything, I was able to add tons of additional detail where none exists, and create soft, warm eyes with a stylized flair instead of the hollow, lifeless eyes commonly associated with Daz Studio.

Oh, wait...

AprilFools3.jpg

No I didn't! These images don't have any post-processing at all. All the "painterly" effects are done directly in the Blender materials! All I had to do was leave it rendering in Cycles overnight, and this was the result. I barely had to do any cleanup at all.

Oh...

Oh wait...

That's right...
AprilFools4.jpg

THIS
IS
WHY
WE
BLEND!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022
my first blender render with daz import (summer's gone - bella fan art attempt)

View attachment 1908974
Huh.

I like it!

I want to say the character looks a little higher-contrast than Summer's Gone's art style? You might be able to tweak the Color Management settings to sort of un-crush the blacks a little bit. Or even set the View Transform to Filmic. (This looks very much like Standard to me, which I usually prefer for my own work.) I sort of hesitate to say that, though, because the view out the window looks SO GOOD.

I'm loving what you did with the red light coming in through the window! Light shining in through windows is something Summer's Gone uses a lot, to great effect. There are ways you could push this further. Experiment with , or it might be easier to do it in post with a program like Krita or Photoshop.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022
Looks like a materials mismatch between her body and head. Unless that's supposed to be scifi fishnet?

OpenImageDenoise is excellent for getting rid of noisy bokeh while preserving detail in final renders.
Good eye. :unsure: I think I mistook that for a shadow from the window light, even though that doesn't make sense visually, now that I think about it.

cyrien

Jul 14, 2021
Looks like a materials mismatch between her body and head. Unless that's supposed to be scifi fishnet?

OpenImageDenoise is excellent for getting rid of noisy bokeh while preserving detail in final renders.
yeah i somehow only noticed that after the render was done, im fairly new to blender so I'll have to look into how to fix that. I used the open image denoiser but i think i have to do another render with more samples?

cyrien

Jul 14, 2021
Huh.

I like it!

I want to say the character looks a little higher-contrast than Summer's Gone's art style? You might be able to tweak the Color Management settings to sort of un-crush the blacks a little bit. Or even set the View Transform to Filmic. (This looks very much like Standard to me, which I usually prefer for my own work.) I sort of hesitate to say that, though, because the view out the window looks SO GOOD.

I'm loving what you did with the red light coming in through the window! Light shining in through windows is something Summer's Gone uses a lot, to great effect. There are ways you could push this further. Experiment with , or it might be easier to do it in post with a program like Krita or Photoshop.
thank you and yeah i pretty much just threw the model into a sci fi interior i found and played around with the lighting and background. the view transform is set to filmic and look is high contrast which might be abit overboard but its still a wip.

Apr 21, 2022
thank you and yeah i pretty much just threw the model into a sci fi interior i found and played around with the lighting and background. the view transform is set to filmic and look is high contrast which might be abit overboard but its still a wip.
Oh, okay then. Yes, I'd recommend bumping the Look down to Medium or None, then adding some sort of glow effect to the window, if you really want to nail the look & feel of the original games. But that's just my opinion! The cool thing about art is it's subjective! :D

cyrien

Jul 14, 2021
Oh, okay then. Yes, I'd recommend bumping the Look down to Medium or None, then adding some sort of glow effect to the window, if you really want to nail the look & feel of the original games. But that's just my opinion! The cool thing about art is it's subjective! :D
awesome and yeah ill try that out, once i get the hang of diffeomorphic and blender better ill try bring in some of the games ambience

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
yeah i somehow only noticed that after the render was done, im fairly new to blender so I'll have to look into how to fix that. I used the open image denoiser but i think i have to do another render with more samples?
The bokeh on the background lights does not look denoised at all. Did you composite that in? Or did you maybe set the viewport denoiser but not the denoiser for the final render (they have their own settings)?

cyrien

Jul 14, 2021
The bokeh on the background lights does not look denoised at all. Did you composite that in? Or did you maybe set the viewport denoiser but not the denoiser for the final render (they have their own settings)?
my guess is because the background is just an image but not sure

done another render with 3x the samples that looks better

bellafr2.png

Apr 21, 2022
my guess is because the background is just an image but not sure

done another render with 3x the samples that looks better

View attachment 1910179
Oh and I forgot to mention this, but there's some nasty repeating patterns in the hair texture, near the ends of the bangs. I'm not sure, but this might have been caused by boosting the alpha to the point where nearly-transparent pixels the original artist didn't care about are now fully opaque, contributing details that were never meant to be seen. Kinda makes her hair look like porcupine quills.

In any case, your options probably boil down to:
  • Make the tips of the hair bangs a little more transparent
  • Blend in some kinda noise texture to add variety and break up the repeats
  • Fix it by hand in post
  • Ignore my feedback about this issue
Making them more transparent is probably the easiest way. You can grab the UV coordinates in the usual way, then do a Split XYZ and extract the Y coordinate, then modulate it with some Math nodes or a ColorRamp. (ColorRamp is probably the easiest for a beginner.) Then combine that with your alpha texture using a MixRGB and you should be good.

cyrien

Jul 14, 2021
Oh and I forgot to mention this, but there's some nasty repeating patterns in the hair texture, near the ends of the bangs. I'm not sure, but this might have been caused by boosting the alpha to the point where nearly-transparent pixels the original artist didn't care about are now fully opaque, contributing details that were never meant to be seen. Kinda makes her hair look like porcupine quills.

In any case, your options probably boil down to:
  • Make the tips of the hair bangs a little more transparent
  • Blend in some kinda noise texture to add variety and break up the repeats
  • Fix it by hand in post
  • Ignore my feedback about this issue
Making them more transparent is probably the easiest way. You can grab the UV coordinates in the usual way, then do a Split XYZ and extract the Y coordinate, then modulate it with some Math nodes or a ColorRamp. (ColorRamp is probably the easiest for a beginner.) Then combine that with your alpha texture using a MixRGB and you should be good.
haha yep the hair looks like garbage here compared to daz, ill add it to the list of things to look into, thanks

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
That may be the Diffeo transparency shader not working well with OpenImageDenoise. If you check the albedo layer in the compositor after a render sometimes it creates noise over transparent areas. Usually I just delete the scalp material and create a new one with a simpler node network.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
haha yep the hair looks like garbage here compared to daz, ill add it to the list of things to look into, thanks
You can as well experiment with this that surprisingly works very well. It turns your hair into a particle system, which gives you much more flexibility with the hair. And the hair principle BDSF will give much better result then anything you can get with hair textures in my opinion.

Reactions: Domiek

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
particle system
flexibility
1a8.gif

Blender's particle system is a trainwreck. Even back in 2016 Sergey Sharybin said it's "hairy and fragile and runs below repairable state".

Not only can't it be repaired or made to work right in the first place, it's a big fat slab of hardwired options like the terrible old Blender Internal materials. There's no flexability to be found there.

Geometry nodes hair is coming in 3.3. Don't bother with the particle system until it's time to cast it down to the bowels of hell where it belongs.