3D-Blender Blender Art - Show Us Your Blender Skill

Apr 21, 2022
Very nice! What skin textures are you using?

If there's a way to push the blur distance back another 6 inches, just so we can get equal detail on the face, maybe give it a try. The only way I can think of to do it would be by shrinking everything in the scene.

The toes look a little waxy, but I know that's just Blender's SSS being Blender's SSS. I'm sure the goal was to draw attention to the feet, and in this it succeeds.

A procedural texture would really bring that leather outfit to life. Try a Voronoi texture node, unwrapped using Gemoetry > World Position for simplicity, fed into a Bump node, into the shader's Normal input.

Reactions: BobbySnaxey

heldorian

Oct 27, 2019
Experimenting some more. (still) Wildeer lara model. Trying out some lighting and material experiments, along with the compositor for the lens distortion.

BobbySnaxey

Jul 25, 2020
Very nice! What skin textures are you using?

If there's a way to push the blur distance back another 6 inches, just so we can get equal detail on the face, maybe give it a try. The only way I can think of to do it would be by shrinking everything in the scene.

The toes look a little waxy, but I know that's just Blender's SSS being Blender's SSS. I'm sure the goal was to draw attention to the feet, and in this it succeeds.

A procedural texture would really bring that leather outfit to life. Try a Voronoi texture node, unwrapped using Gemoetry > World Position for simplicity, fed into a Bump node, into the shader's Normal input.
Thanks for the tip!

I tried to push the focus back a bit more but then the background became too much "in focus".
I'm using Victoria 8's bump, normal and specular maps on her with micro normals from Victoria 8.1. :)

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Thanks for the tip!

I tried to push the focus back a bit more but then the background became too much "in focus".
I'm using Victoria 8's bump, normal and specular maps on her with micro normals from Victoria 8.1. :)
Theres a defocus node in the composer, maybe that gives you better results then the render focus. If i recall correctly it uses a mask so requires a bit more work to set-up but give you much more freedom for the result your going. To create a mask I think you could try opening up a copy of the blend file, merging everything together to 1 mesh and 1 material, and then use camera data node linked to a color ramp. I think this allows you to color the background white, the front black, and everything in between a gradient.

And yeah like CurvyLinesEverywhere mentioned your feet look very waxy. You prob got to turn down the SSS by a fair amount, or create a map for it.

Apr 21, 2022
I'm just going to be honest and admit that I've never seen "Good" skin SSS in 3D before. I don't know what it looks like. Usually the effect either looks like a slightly buggy candle shader, or else is so subtle that it's indistinguishable from just setting up a custom "make black shadows look dark red" effect somewhere in the shader.

Candle effect (Likely intended to resemble a resin model kit)
Visually indistinguishable from Glowing Red Diffuse Shadows

There must be more to it than just "Use SSS textures," because those get imported along with everything else from Daz.

Maybe my problem is not enough spotlights behind the subject pointed directly at the camera. Or maybe SSS is like fonts. You only notice them when there's a problem.

Last edited:

BobbySnaxey

Jul 25, 2020
My friend who made the Skin Shader I'm using just notice a change Blender devs did in 3.2 that breaks his shader, so it could be why SSS is not working properly, also I used Eevee in this render. :)

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
There must be more to it than just "Use SSS textures," because those get imported along with everything else from Daz.
Well there's your mistake; The vast majority of DAZ skin textures don't have SSS textures. They don't use SSS at all, or the effect is baked in the diffuse, or they for some weird reason just use a roughness map or something for it.

SSS is the effect of light scattering in thin parts of the skin, and coming out at the other side of that part. It gives the skin a slight translucent effect. In most cases this is extremely subtle and yeah is mostly notable when its off. It only becomes really noticeable if the man light comes from the back, in for example a dark room with lightning coming through a window. You can actually test this yourself by grabbing a flashlight and putting it under your hand. It should gives your fingers a reddish translucent effect.

This is a very over exaggerated example of the effect:

1e2093ff01346d99c19d01df7fd8380f.jpg

SSS isn't supposed to be everywhere. The SSS slider in blender seems to do it everywhere while sorta looking for thickness, but it isn't realistic. Its alright if you just put it on a very low value (like 0.01), and just paint the parts that should have more a bit reddish in the diffuse, but otherwise you would need a SSS map for it.

If your just doing a normal lighted render you don't need a SSS map really. It only becomes a bit of a necessity if your doing very high contrast renders.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Good job on a first render. Some tips for improvement:

The girl in back, her right arm looks off. Whenever somebody's arm is raised, you need to raise the shoulder too. Her forearm also has too much twist. The hand should be nearly straight up. In real life her elbow would probably be high enough that her forearm crosses above her forehead. If she's really hellbent on throwing it, she'd need to move her right hand much too much to remove it from the path of her throwing arm. Ideally it'd be more on the side so she can easily slide it behind the ball to put her strength into a toss.

It'd also look more believable if you clenched the fist of the model in front. Or else that thong would slip right out.

Try using depth of field. The sharp, clear background is distracting.

Reactions: donotouch

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Guys, I have a quick question. Where do you do post-processing? In photoshop or blender composer?
When you render, Blender stores its data in 32-bit scene linear format holding the whole range of color. Saving out to a JPG or PNG clips the data to 8-bit sRGB space. If you edit that in Photoshop you lose the extra data. So you have to use Blender to get the exposure and light level correct while the linear data exists in Blender's buffer, then you can edit the clipped data in a photo editor.

Or you can save the render as an OpenEXR to preserve the linear data. You can edit that in Photoshop without any Blender post-processing (if you set OCIO up). Half-float with lossless ZIP compression is about 8 megabytes for a 1920x1080 image.

Reactions: Domiek
Apr 21, 2022
Guys, I have a quick question. Where do you do post-processing? In photoshop or blender composer?
  1. Click "Compositing" at the top.
  2. Check the box that says "Use Nodes."
  3. Render your scene once.
  4. Click Add > Filter > Blur
  5. Click somewhere in the Compositing Nodetree to add the node to your nodetree. It will probably re-arrange your noodles by default.
  6. Add > Color > MixRGB
  7. Change "Mix" to "Add" using the pulldown menu.
  8. Connect the noodles like this:
Compositing nodes exmaple.png

Experiment and have fun! :D

Edit: I suddenly realized that the question I answered wasn't quite the one you asked. I use a combination of Blender and Krita, depending on what I'm trying to do. PhotoDemon is also a blazing fast Photoshop alternative that I haven't worked with much, but I hear it's amazing on lower-end systems.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022
Well there's your mistake; The vast majority of DAZ skin textures don't have SSS textures. They don't use SSS at all, or the effect is baked in the diffuse, or they for some weird reason just use a roughness map or something for it.

SSS is the effect of light scattering in thin parts of the skin, and coming out at the other side of that part. It gives the skin a slight translucent effect. In most cases this is extremely subtle and yeah is mostly notable when its off. It only becomes really noticeable if the man light comes from the back, in for example a dark room with lightning coming through a window. You can actually test this yourself by grabbing a flashlight and putting it under your hand. It should gives your fingers a reddish translucent effect.

This is a very over exaggerated example of the effect:

View attachment 1899056

SSS isn't supposed to be everywhere. The SSS slider in blender seems to do it everywhere while sorta looking for thickness, but it isn't realistic. Its alright if you just put it on a very low value (like 0.01), and just paint the parts that should have more a bit reddish in the diffuse, but otherwise you would need a SSS map for it.

If your just doing a normal lighted render you don't need a SSS map really. It only becomes a bit of a necessity if your doing very high contrast renders.
Yeah but. See. I just held my hand up to a light? And it doesn't do that. It does like 1/10th of that.

Apr 21, 2022
Dude. Show us your skin nodes. You've got a range of sheen going on there that's pretty impressive.

Her fingernails kinda look like marble though. I'm not really sure how to fix that, but I suspect overzealous SSS is to blame one way or another.

If this is eevee, and you're using mesh hair, I know some Hair Tricks you might be able to benefit from. (Long story short: use a blend of texture UVs and Reflection coordinates to fake eevee-friendly anisotropy.)

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Yeah but. See. I just held my hand up to a light? And it doesn't do that. It does like 1/10th of that.
Yeah that's what I said. It was an extremely over exaggerated example You might get that if you use a strong flashlight in a completely dark room, but otherwise not.

Like I said SSS is very subtle almost not noticeable. It only becomes clear in extreme contrast examples, like only having light from the back (the ears would get this effect), or a from the side (tip of the nose) or blocking bright light from an headlamp or something with your hand.