4.70 star(s) 10 Votes

Yurinohana

Jul 25, 2020
I always get sad whenever I'm reminded of this.

So much wasted potential. There have been a few spiritual successors but there's always something missing from them.
Must have been a combination of the art style, the animations, and the scope (of both gameplay and fetishes). There was something for everyone, but that was both a blessing and a curse, as that made the game too big and ambitious to complete with such a small and inexperienced team, to say nothing of the internal drama we all know about by now.

Is this game worth playing fully knowing it's abandoned?
I wouldn't say so, knowing it is abandoned and with so many features missing besides some scenes and the basic gameplay loop will just leave you with a bitter aftertaste. I wouldn't recommend any of the spiritual successors either, they lack what made Breeding Season popular, and they are unlikely to be ever finished themselves. Typical Patreon scams.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022
I wouldn't recommend any of the spiritual successors either, they lack what made Breeding Season popular, and they are unlikely to be ever finished themselves. Typical Patreon scams.
I'd say Breeders of the Nephelym is no scam (especially given it's free to all), it's continuing its slow but steady progress. It's actually a much better game than most people give credit but it lacks a real endgame or main goal. The core gameplay loop is fine it just doesn't have anything more than that so it's mostly mindless grind with a large variety of 3d monsters. Limited male and no gay content though.

Breeding Season is still my favorite of the genre at least with where the other games currently stand, but Breeders of the Nephelym does deserve some credit.

F1forhalp

SOTD: Katzenjammer - Hey Ho On The Devil's Back
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
but it is not Breeding Season. it's different. all the so called successors are, as well, different.

i do replay some versions of this here out of idk, let's call it nostalgia. i like the older versions with art clearly derived from, or based on, LOK art style. i like some of the newer art, as well. the main plot can be seen as complete, as in, there is a possible end with debt paid. i care not at all about some very latre appearances like Mandrake and whatever this pig-ish being was called, that's just add in for the sake of add in imo, no substance.
could have been a decent game with sidestories and whatnot, finished up to hm, what had we; Cat Wolf Holstaurus Horses Elves Harpies looked okay and pretty much doable. that would be a hefty amount of content with planned variants.

$0.02 added

May 3, 2022
but it is not Breeding Season. it's different. all the so called successors are, as well, different.

i do replay some versions of this here out of idk, let's call it nostalgia. i like the older versions with art clearly derived from, or based on, LOK art style. i like some of the newer art, as well. the main plot can be seen as complete, as in, there is a possible end with debt paid. i care not at all about some very latre appearances like Mandrake and whatever this pig-ish being was called, that's just add in for the sake of add in imo, no substance.
could have been a decent game with sidestories and whatnot, finished up to hm, what had we; Cat Wolf Holstaurus Horses Elves Harpies looked okay and pretty much doable. that would be a hefty amount of content with planned variants.

$0.02 added
I agree completely, the later monsters were definitely added just to keep some semblance of content going forward. They weren't needed and exponentially increased the workload (although a few of them were hot). I know and understand the reasons the plug was pulled but it never sat well with me that Breeding Season was completely killed off in favor of creating Cloud Meadow.

Each of the successors aren't the same in large part because they tried to avoid the pitfalls that lead to Breeding Season's demise. Breeding farm tries to keep the same core gameplay with much stronger limits on the content and variations, Breeders of the Nephelym used a different system to keep a large amount of variations without creating an impossible animation workload but lacks all other content outside the main monster capturing and breeding systems, and Cloud Meadow tried to build a more in depth game around it which ultimately detracts greatly from the breeding aspect, with only a miniscule fraction of the monster variations.

Reactions: F1forhalp

F1forhalp

Donor
Oct 28, 2019
meh. if it's Hbomb, probability is there, that he simply repeats what he did with this one.

May 3, 2022
Do you really think he'd be that stupid enough to try to pull a fast one again this many years later? You know he'll be accused of it immediately.

Good for H-bomb, always hoped he'd land back on his feet whether he pursued another project or not. Took a long time but with the way that ended I can't be surprised.

AI art will be controversial but given his situation I totally understand it. There were some skilled artists willing to work with him back when Breeding Season ended but this long after it has to be hard to find some willing to take the risk. He's got a lot to prove but it will be interesting keeping an eye on things. Best of luck to him.

Ipigskickass

Jul 10, 2017
I don't believe that's the real H-Bomb, nor do I feel that this project is legitimate. I wouldn't sign up for that Patreon if you have a brain.

I think his Blogger account has been compromised, or that isn't his actual account.

Reactions: aspar4gus

aspar4gus

Mar 27, 2019
Omg look at that horrible title and screen art that screams "gRaph1C d35igN iS mY p4s5iOn"

no way people falling for that suspiciously obvious scam

Reactions: Homaru_Yoku

boblicticious

Jun 16, 2017
meh. if it's Hbomb, probability is there, that he simply repeats what he did with this one.
As long as he doesn't hire someone like spurple, the same thing almost certainly won't happen. Before they decided to do a revamp, breeding season actually had a feature complete version with all races, mating scenes, and traits implemented. There was even an end game scene for when you paid off the debt.

I'm not sure how many people still believe spurple's version of the events... but if you look at how cloud meadow has become almost exactly what spurple claimed breeding season was becoming under hbomb's leadership in terms of development limbo... it's hard to understand why anyone could take spurple's word for it.

May 3, 2022
As long as he doesn't hire someone like spurple, the same thing almost certainly won't happen. Before they decided to do a revamp, breeding season actually had a feature complete version with all races, mating scenes, and traits implemented. There was even an end game scene for when you paid off the debt.

I'm not sure how many people still believe spurple's version of the events... but if you look at how cloud meadow has become almost exactly what spurple claimed breeding season was becoming under hbomb's leadership in terms of development limbo... it's hard to understand why anyone could take spurple's word for it.
Tbf H-bomb has openly admitted he mismanaged things, largely due to inexperience. Breeding Season was originally just a tiny project that blew up massively. But I otherwise agree with your statements, there shouldn't be a repeat here the conditions that existed back then don't exist now. And yeah Cloud Meadow has definitely gone down the exact same path that Breeding Season once did, Spurp fell into the same traps he accused H-Bomb of. And that's inspite the far, far fewer variations their breeding has.

gruntlord?

Aug 27, 2020
I'd say Breeders of the Nephelym is no scam (especially given it's free to all), it's continuing its slow but steady progress. It's actually a much better game...
Yet the creator mostly focuses on futa content, specificaly having futas with no testicles. Any attempt to ask for more MaleXFemale or testicle options just results in him saying use mods, despite him purpesfully making the game hard to mod.
It's also in 3D.

May 3, 2022
1 there's no futa focus, everything except male on male gets equal attention.

2 it's not in any way a scam. This is why I hate this site, people come on demanding devs cater to them and call them scammers if they don't. There is literally nothing wrong with him refusing to develop content he doesn't like and he has been transparent about it from the start. I don't care if you wave around money or pirate the game if you repeatedly try to force a dev to make something they don't like, don't want to make and have made it abundantly clear they don't then you're just an asshole.

Does it suck for fans of that genre, sure but it's tough luck. I prefer the wider variety but it's 100% derelict helmsman's prerogative to refuse and there is nothing wrong with it.

Also this is going too off topic for this thread.

Last edited:

Argrond

Mar 21, 2019
Is this game worth playing fully knowing it's abandoned?
I'll dare to say that, even abandoned, it still surpasses its latter interpretations. The original concept, setting, mechanics, art, etc. have set immensely high level of game experience for others to reach, even now.
So yes, still highly recommended.

Reactions: Nijinda Futatama

26suspects

Apr 15, 2021
anyway i can still play this? i think i need shockwave player to play it but you cant download that anymore from what i gather.

F1forhalp

Donor
Oct 28, 2019
anyway i can still play this? i think i need shockwave player to play it but you cant download that anymore from what i gather.
use this one: Adobe Flash player (standalone) , just unpack into any folder. then right click the flash file, choose 'Open with..' 'Browse..' and go to the folder where you've unpacked the player. pick that to open flash files (like .swf), check the 'Always open with' box, 'OK' and now every time you double click a .swf file, the player should open.
windoze versions 10 and 11 might complain about "boohoo this comes from another computer" but i guess you know that already when you use downloaded files.
just to be safe, do a scan after downloading a file from the interwebs. Always.
i'm using this very same player, and did a scan when i downloaded it, and right before uploading. still. always scan.

Last edited:
Reactions: winson123
4.70 star(s) 10 Votes