• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

stuffnstuff0

Game Developer
Jul 27, 2021
Avoid being in this situation. Have a reserve for rainy days.

Get enough security to lessen or avoid the blow (e.g. 24+ goons+other security in chapter 2 or 40+ in chapter 3 avoids the problem entirely, 16+/20+ halves the penalty). You can get +security perks/traits on your girls or reserve AP for the MC to do some security work himself and add his Strength to the security value.

There's security furniture, which I think now works. There was a time when it did nothing.

If nothing else, sell girls one by one until you can afford to clean up. At worst, you should end up with one maintenance-free girl due to Sill, and work back up from there.

Play on an easier difficulty, possibly.

Save scum or cheat dirt back to zero if it really bothers you.

Personally, I also dislike how little help the goons are during an actual event (their number gets divided so they contribute roughly the same over the entire game, equivalent to ~8-12 Strength to be precise, despite threats and costs scaling higher and higher). I also dislike how not-random security is. Sometimes hiring one more goon is the difference between getting stampeded and a slightly noisy evening.

If anything, there should be a trainer that allows you to have significantly better security. Alas, Maya is pretty gimped.
I also think this 100-dirt security event is too drastic; we can encourage Goldo to lessen it or provide coping methods, but he has resisted in the past (and this is truly one of the few potential game over conditions here for a game challenge).

After I brought this up elsewhere, others gave me suggestions for handling the aftermath:
  • Since the "clean up" immediately button on Brothel screen has a significant cost penalty, you can keep the brothel closed and clean up gradually by maxing cleaners. Requires a cash buffer to pay daily expenses, as Jman says.
  • Brothel is closed and therefore not contributing to sickness when no girls assigned to normal jobs or whoring.
  • Girls can be assigned to Posting quests or classes, or to farm, with no sickness risk.
  • Food and items can help girls who were hurt in the security event, but may be too expensive to use in trying to keep girls working in brothel during cleanup. Stock up on one or two in advance.
  • If in later game with Banker location available, consider a small loan for expenses until can finish cleaning & re-open. First-time loan on first going to/below 0 gold is also attractive at no interest, but only puts you to 250 gold in hand.
  • And Jman's suggestion of selling off a girl would still be better than Game Over...
:unsure: Yea, if it happens no problem but if it is going to create a death spiral I think I'll just cheat, too bad.

cerega93

Jun 17, 2018
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/girls/Boa_Hancock/_events.rpy", line 10, in script
image bg boa_const = ProportionalScale(get_current_folder() + "dancer (0).jpg", config.screen_width, config.screen_height)
image bg boa_const = ProportionalScale(get_current_folder() + "dancer (0).jpg", config.screen_width, config.screen_height)
File "game/girls/Boa_Hancock/_events.rpy", line 10, in <module>
NameError: name 'get_current_folder' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 331, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 550, in main
renpy.game.context().run(node)
File "renpy/ast.py", line 1027, in execute
img = renpy.python.py_eval_bytecode(self.code.bytecode)
File "renpy/python.py", line 2269, in py_eval_bytecode
return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-10-10.0.18362
Ren'Py 7.4.10.2178
Brothel King 0.2 v220105
Tue Apr 26 09:28:40 2022
I get 2 different errors with Boa Hancock and Hinata Hyuga. Here i post with Boa Hancock, I've already tried patches and fixed girl pack, but only thing thats fix this, is delete them. Can somebody help with this error? Error acquired on startup.

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018

While running game code:
Windows-10-10.0.18362
Ren'Py 7.4.10.2178
Brothel King 0.2 v220105
Tue Apr 26 09:28:40 2022
I get 2 different errors with Boa Hancock and Hinata Hyuga. Here i post with Boa Hancock, I've already tried patches and fixed girl pack, but only thing thats fix this, is delete them. Can somebody help with this error? Error acquired on startup.
This function was added in the Feb 11 v 0.2 Release base game. You need to update & start new game for these two to work, due to compensating for different girlpack folder structures.

You need to download the (v 0.2 Release), followed by
Best done in new folder to avoid recompile problems (can copy or move current game/girls folders); new game required.

(Also see edit below.)

of the bat, what i can see wrong from a glance is that it should have 5 0's.
dancer (00000).jpg
Non-tag parts of girlpack filenames are irrelevant, but can be useful when combining packs from different makers/sources. The Ren'Py error in this and most cases tells what is wrong/missing; occasionally it is obscure.

Edit:
Although under further investigation, the Boa girlpack in Basic Girlpack v 0.2 which this is probably from does not include a file "dancer (0).jpg", so either that file should be created, or (preferably) the _events.rpy example line should be edited to use existing file.
Here is a replacement _events.rpy for Boa's girlpack from Basic Girlpack v 0.2. I am starting tests of it, which also contains several edits for issues I've previously mentioned (use diff/compare if curious). Rename to "_events.rpy" if downloading adds a numerical prefix.
Cross-posted to Girlpacks & Mods.
View attachment _events.rpy

Last edited:

cerega93

Jun 17, 2018
This function was added in the Feb 11 v 0.2 Release base game. You need to update & start new game for these two to work, due to compensating for different girlpack folder structures.

You need to download the (v 0.2 Release), followed by
Best done in new folder to avoid recompile problems (can copy or move current game/girls folders); new game required.

Non-tag parts of girlpack filenames are irrelevant, but can be useful when combining packs from different makers/sources. The Ren'Py error in this and most cases tells what is wrong/missing; occasionally it is obscure.
Thank you, everything fixes. Strange, i downloaded everything in first post, but somehow messed up something.

Mackrel

Nov 3, 2020
I was exploring the title screen options when this happened:

While loading <'Image' u'sill'>:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 273, in script
python:
python:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 275, in <module>
renpy.call_in_new_context(_restart[2])
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1353, in execute
screen gallery(gal_type="ev"): # The Gallery object must have a pics variable (a list of renpy displaybles or image files)
screen gallery(gal_type="ev"): # The Gallery object must have a pics variable (a list of renpy displaybles or image files)
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1374, in execute
hbox spacing 10:
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1378, in execute
vbox spacing 10:
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1382, in execute
frame background None: #"#000000CC":
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1389, in execute
has hbox box_wrap True spacing 6
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1393, in execute
for i in xrange(shown_pics):
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1395, in execute
if index+i < len(gal.blist):
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1407, in execute
frame background None xsize 250 ysize 190 ymargin 6 yalign 0.5:
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1408, in execute
add gal.make_button(but, pic, xpadding=3, ypadding=3, xalign=0.5, yalign=0.5, background=None) hover_alpha 1.0 idle_alpha 0.8
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1408, in <module>
add gal.make_button(but, pic, xpadding=3, ypadding=3, xalign=0.5, yalign=0.5, background=None) hover_alpha 1.0 idle_alpha 0.8
File "renpy/common/00gallery.rpy", line 380, in make_button
action = self.Action(name)
File "renpy/common/00gallery.rpy", line 337, in Action
if b.check_unlock():
File "renpy/common/00gallery.rpy", line 114, in check_unlock
if not i.check(True):
File "renpy/common/00gallery.rpy", line 35, in check
return eval(self.condition)
SyntaxError: invalid syntax (<none>, line 1)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 331, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 662, in main
run(restart)
File "renpy/main.py", line 148, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "renpy/execution.py", line 922, in run_context
context.run()
python:
python:
File "renpy/ast.py", line 928, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "renpy/python.py", line 2245, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 275, in <module>
renpy.call_in_new_context(_restart[2])
File "renpy/game.py", line 344, in call_in_new_context
return renpy.execution.run_context(False)
File "renpy/execution.py", line 922, in run_context
context.run()
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in script
python hide:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in script
python hide:
File "renpy/ast.py", line 928, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "renpy/python.py", line 2245, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in <module>
python hide:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 35, in _execute_python_hide
ui.interact()
File "renpy/ui.py", line 298, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3325, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, **kwargs)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3737, in interact_core
root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 568, in visit_all
d.visit_all(callback, seen)
File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 436, in visit_all
callback(self)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3737, in <lambda>
root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 447, in per_interact
self.update()
File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 637, in update
self.screen.function(**self.scope)
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1374, in execute
hbox spacing 10:
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1378, in execute
vbox spacing 10:
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1382, in execute
frame background None: #"#000000CC":
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1389, in execute
has hbox box_wrap True spacing 6
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1393, in execute
for i in xrange(shown_pics):
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1395, in execute
if index+i < len(gal.blist):
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1407, in execute
frame background None xsize 250 ysize 190 ymargin 6 yalign 0.5:
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1408, in execute
File "game/BKdeclarations.rpy", line 1408, in <module>
File "renpy/common/00gallery.rpy", line 380, in make_button
action = self.Action(name)
File "renpy/common/00gallery.rpy", line 337, in Action
if b.check_unlock():
File "renpy/common/00gallery.rpy", line 114, in check_unlock
if not i.check(True):
File "renpy/common/00gallery.rpy", line 35, in check
return eval(self.condition)
File "renpy/python.py", line 2274, in py_eval
code = py_compile(code, 'eval')
File "renpy/python.py", line 835, in py_compile
raise e
SyntaxError: invalid syntax (<none>, line 1)

Windows-10-10.0.22000
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
Brothel King 0.2 v220407
Tue Apr 26 03:29:06 2022

This error occured when I tried to open the gallery for one specific girl pack (Ninomae Ina'nis); every other girl pack works fine without issue. It doesn't really affect me at all, since I can just view the pictures directly in my folder anyway, but I am curious as to why this error is occuring.

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018

While running game code:
File "/storage/emulated/0/Download/Brothel King/Brothel_King-pc/game/script.rpy", line 126, in script
init -2 python:
File "/storage/emulated/0/Download/Brothel King/Brothel_King-pc/game/script.rpy", line 133, in <module>
config.keymap['game_menu'].remove('mouseup_3')
ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list
```

I barely need help
If you haven't yet found out why "game/script.rpy" got added to your game, please attach it here for analysis.

Are you running on a VM, Linux, Joiplay or other non-usual platform?

You can avoid the specific error by bypassing the line setting it in BKinit_variables.rpy, changing
Code:
        config.keymap['game_menu'].remove('mouseup_3')
to
Code:
        if False: config.keymap['game_menu'].remove('mouseup_3')
(Caps & spaces are sensitive.)

Have you upgraded to recent base game v 0.2 Release (not from OP) & recent patch? What does version say in upper right of startup screen, or end of traceback.txt?

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
...gallery
...I am curious as to why this error is occuring.
No idea, really. It appears that the 'action' of clicking on an image in the gallery has a condition that is empty or otherwise invalid instead of an expression that can be evaluated.

Maybe it has something to do with the girl pack? Anything odd there? Is it all of the images that do this, only the 'padlock', is the girl notable in any way (first/last in the gallery, last girl hired or interacted with, does she have an image named 'sill.jpg' or somesuch, etc)?

Gallery code has been ignored for a very long time, to the point that the gallery wasn't really functional, uh, I think even through all of 0.15 and 0.15b?

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018
Thank you, everything fixes. Strange, i downloaded everything in first post, but somehow messed up something.
Please see Edit in my message about replacement file for Boa Hancock girlpack.

Edit:
Although under further investigation, the Boa girlpack in Basic Girlpack v 0.2 which this is probably from does not include a file "dancer (0).jpg", so either that file should be created, or (preferably) the _events.rpy example line should be edited to use existing file.

Here is a replacement _events.rpy for Boa's girlpack from Basic Girlpack v 0.2. I am starting tests of it, which also contains several edits for issues I've previously mentioned (use diff/compare if curious). Rename to "_events.rpy" if downloading adds a numerical prefix.

Cross-posted to Girlpacks & Mods.

View attachment 1777646

Mackrel

Nov 3, 2020
Maybe it has something to do with the girl pack? Anything odd there? Is it all of the images that do this, only the 'padlock', is the girl notable in any way (first/last in the gallery, last girl hired or interacted with, does she have an image named 'sill.jpg' or somesuch, etc)?
Nothing notable about the girl as far as I can tell. Deleting and redownloading the girl pack results in the same error. It's not the action of clicking on the images that cause the error, it's trying to select the girl pack in the gallery. As in, I don't even get so far as to see the padlock images. This error has been occuring since 0.15b, but I didn't give it much thought then. Again, this error is only occuring with this specific girl pack; if I delete the pack altogether, then every other pack still works fine.

Reactions: Jman9

__neronero

Jan 23, 2021
Nothing notable about the girl as far as I can tell. Deleting and redownloading the girl pack results in the same error. It's not the action of clicking on the images that cause the error, it's trying to select the girl pack in the gallery. As in, I don't even get so far as to see the padlock images. This error has been occuring since 0.15b, but I didn't give it much thought then. Again, this error is only occuring with this specific girl pack; if I delete the pack altogether, then every other pack still works fine.
It's due to the girl's folder name. I no longer encounter the error after removing the apostrophe.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: DougTheC and Jman9

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
It's down. That's about the extent of it. Nobody has any channels to contact Zythen, the site owner, either. Maybe he had a stroke, maybe he had a come-to-Jesus moment, maybe the Man grabbed him or maybe he just forgot really hard.

Whatever the reason, it is looking increasingly likely that the site is gone for good.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
is there a discord for brothel king then or something else like that?
No. Right at this moment we are living in exile here on F95. At some point soon, likely when Goldo returns from his current couple of weeks off, we'll start organizing to find a new home. But I highly doubt it'll be Discord. It's much harder to keep one's hentai life separate from their non-hentai life on Discord. I for one do not want my BK work getting linked to my normal online life. So I would not expect many of us would want to work BK on Discord. No idea what we'll end up with as our new home, but I think Discord is not on the list of possibilities.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
is there a discord for brothel king
No. The two threads here are the closest thing to a backup that I know of.

Discord also has the issue that it's a fickle platform run by algorithms and assholes (which is important for NSFW stuff) that doesn't want to let you have a separation of professional, private and - as __neronero put it, even-more-private life. If you're the sort of person who regularly posts selfies of their bedroom on the web, maybe that's not a big issue. If you aren't, well...

There is a (temporary?) Discord for HHS+. They're going to have to find a new home sometime soon as well. IDK if Goldo wants to go with them or look for a new home on his own.

ripleysonic

Jan 5, 2019
You didn't happen to uninstall Trait King or some part(s) of it by accident?

Traceback?
I deleted that comment once I realized that wasn't the issue. I thought I downloaded the patch but apparently I missed it. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougTheC
4.60 star(s) 44 Votes