naurd

Dec 30, 2020
I see an ending discussed in the change log, is this game almost completed or is .999 just another random number?

Haven't played in over a year but if it is really only one/one-thousandth away from completion I may hold off until the next update.

swpkmn

Feb 19, 2020
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I see an ending discussed in the change log, is this game almost completed or is .999 just another random number?

Haven't played in over a year but if it is really only one/one-thousandth away from completion I may hold off until the next update.
https://f95zone.to/threads/caliross-the-shapeshifters-legacy-v0-999-mdqp.1530/post-8624981

Kuzukuz

Apr 20, 2021
anyone here know if vargas ambush is only happening once or its happen multiple time?,if it does happen more than once,how do u trigger it?whenever i tried to talk to him on the cheese bar thingy,he just saying those stupid hello thing

clover1024

Jul 4, 2021
any more scenes like the quest in chapter 2 where bimbo can drastically change the quest? Really liked the idea and execution of it, one of my favorites.

Sonbatson470

Apr 6, 2021
Can anyone help me? The game will not start for me despite having the RTP installed. It lauches for a second and then closes again.

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
anyone here know if vargas ambush is only happening once or its happen multiple time?,if it does happen more than once,how do u trigger it?whenever i tried to talk to him on the cheese bar thingy,he just saying those stupid hello thing
Are you sure you posted this in the right thread?

any more scenes like the quest in chapter 2 where bimbo can drastically change the quest? Really liked the idea and execution of it, one of my favorites.
Do you mean specifically for the bimbo trait? I don't think I have another quest like that. I do similar stuff for certain factions you can get involved with, but I don't think I made use of the trait for other quests like that. Something to keep in mind, though.

Can anyone help me? The game will not start for me despite having the RTP installed. It lauches for a second and then closes again.
You get no messages, then? I know it's boring, but did you try re-installing the RTP (either from the first post, or through my patron page, just in case) and redownloading the game? I assume you don't get any antivirus warning either, correct?

Sonbatson470

Apr 6, 2021
You get no messages, then? I know it's boring, but did you try re-installing the RTP (either from the first post, or through my patron page, just in case) and redownloading the game? I assume you don't get any antivirus warning either, correct?
The only warning I get is when I launch the .exe to unpack the game (windows defender initially stops the unpacking but I can unpack it anyway), the game itself does not give me any errors. No messages either unfortunately

Last edited:

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
The only warning I get is when I launch the .exe to unpack the game (windows defender initially stops the unpacking but I can unpack it anyway), the game itself does not give me any errors. No messages either unfortunately
Let's see if the problem is with the extraction, somehow. I unpacked the game and placed it in a .7z archive:

Here is a link to the RTP I use, too:

Try to install the game in "documents" or an equally benign folder for this test (so we can rule out issues with permissions). Is your account an administrator or a guest on the PC you are using? Also, do you perhaps have another laptop or PC where you could test the game?

Reactions: Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy

Nov 25, 2021
Let's see if the problem is with the extraction, somehow. I unpacked the game and placed it in a .7z archive:

Mega

Try to install the game in "documents" or an equally benign folder for this test (so we can rule out issues with permissions). Is your account an administrator or a guest on the PC you are using? Also, do you perhaps have another laptop or PC where you could test the game?
So, I already have a WINE prefix set up just for your game, but things like packaging it in .7z format make it that much more Linux friendly, and for that I thank you. :)

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
So, I already have a WINE prefix set up just for your game, but things like packaging it in .7z format make it that much more Linux friendly, and for that I thank you. :)
Generally I don't do this (since it obviously takes extra time), but this time I am also trying to figure out an issue, so I thought it was necessary. I'll keep this in mind for releasing version 1.0, however (make sure to poke me if I forget).

Sonbatson470

Apr 6, 2021

Mega

That unfortunately doesn't work either and this is the only PC I have. I am the administrator and have tried "launch as Admin" at every step as well to no avail. But I did not get a Windows Defender warning this time

thedongofapocalypse

Feb 21, 2019
Hi guys, just disovered this game today. Pretty cool game, but I think the resolution size is hurting my eyes, so zooming it reduced the quality and not even fullscreen. But resolution issue aside this playable and most of the world is exploreable which is great in my opinion. Trying a pure run for now, free from corruption and evil. I made a blunder by naming my character Caliross lmao and I'm too deep now.

By the way, is there any way to restores mana aside from mana fountain (which is rare, still can't find it yet), MP potion (expensive early) and Sleep? I'm kinda wasting mana trying to burn something or finding random things, pushing people/obstacles, generally trying to discover secrets and failing most of the time. I think I keep running into mana issue because of me trying to discover secret items/path. Forcing me to save scum.

Also how do you leveling up here, assuming there's no mobs to grind and beating monster doesn't yield exp, there must be alternate way to increasing your exp and stats. I keep losing against some random bandit, and need me to load previous save to cancel it or I might get bad end xD. Though I doing other quest and jobs for now.

Does INT stats increase your magic casting effectiveness or just like INHIBITON and WILL it's just for story purpose? Oh can you learn on how to use hypnosis/mind control here? or we just the victim here?

I'm curious on how to shapeshift though, and does it affect combat stats like for example shapeshifting into Minotaur/Orc will increase your basic attack, HP, armor but disallow casting or make you dumber in that form. Shapeshifting into Lycan/Werewolf will grant immense stats under full moon but make you more likely to go wild or horny. Shapeshift into Vampire grant you hypnosis, lifesteal, and stat increase but you can only use it during night or otherwise it's suicide. Or does shapeshifting is purely for cosmetic and disguise purpose?

Well that's my surface opinion and questions for now.

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
That unfortunately doesn't work either and this is the only PC I have. I am the administrator and have tried "launch as Admin" at every step as well to no avail. But I did not get a Windows Defender warning this time
Just to confirm, you did re-install the RTP, correct? I really can't imagine what would cause this behaviour, sadly.

Hi guys, just disovered this game today. Pretty cool game, but I think the resolution size is hurting my eyes, so zooming it reduced the quality and not even fullscreen. But resolution issue aside this playable and most of the world is exploreable which is great in my opinion. Trying a pure run for now, free from corruption and evil. I made a blunder by naming my character Caliross lmao and I'm too deep now.

By the way, is there any way to restores mana aside from mana fountain (which is rare, still can't find it yet), MP potion (expensive early) and Sleep? I'm kinda wasting mana trying to burn something or finding random things, pushing people/obstacles, generally trying to discover secrets and failing most of the time. I think I keep running into mana issue because of me trying to discover secret items/path. Forcing me to save scum.

Also how do you leveling up here, assuming there's no mobs to grind and beating monster doesn't yield exp, there must be alternate way to increasing your exp and stats. I keep losing against some random bandit, and need me to load previous save to cancel it or I might get bad end xD. Though I doing other quest and jobs for now.

Does INT stats increase your magic casting effectiveness or just like INHIBITON and WILL it's just for story purpose? Oh can you learn on how to use hypnosis/mind control here? or we just the victim here?

I'm curious on how to shapeshift though, and does it affect combat stats like for example shapeshifting into Minotaur/Orc will increase your basic attack, HP, armor but disallow casting or make you dumber in that form. Shapeshifting into Lycan/Werewolf will grant immense stats under full moon but make you more likely to go wild or horny. Shapeshift into Vampire grant you hypnosis, lifesteal, and stat increase but you can only use it during night or otherwise it's suicide. Or does shapeshifting is purely for cosmetic and disguise purpose?

Well that's my surface opinion and questions for now.
Glad you are enjoying the game! ^_^

The resolution is limited because of the specific RPG Maker version I am using. It's possible to "hack" it to get higher resolutions, but I decided early on it wouldn't be a good idea to mess with the engine's fundamentals, so we'll have to bear with it for this game.

I don't think I added other ways to recover mana, do you have suggestions? I don't want to upset the game's balance too much, but if it's a good idea I can consider it.

You get a stat boost whenever you advance a chapter (I can't remember if it's the first time you sleep after), but the main way to get stronger is buying or earning equipment (you actually don't increase your level in the game). You can also get new summons, to substitute your first one.

The 3 stats are for story purposes. You can learn how to hypnotize yourself, does that count? XD XD XD

To learn new forms, you must visit the various temples left behind by the Shapeshifters. If you went to sleep in your house, and then tried to leave, you should have received a visit from your uncle's friend. If you go talk to him in the mage guild afterward, he'll guide you to the first temple (completing temples is also the most common task to complete in order to advance chapters). The forms you get by shapeshifting will be used in puzzles (swimming as a fish to get to certain areas, or turn into a mouse to pass through bars or small passages). You'll eventually get to learn how to turn into other people, although it needs more content at the moment.

You can be a werewolf, but while you do get a buff (health regen), it's different from regular shapeshifting, and you can't control it (you get a pack of werewolves to interact with, and some extra stuff). You can't turn into a vampire, but you can get a vampire mistress.

Reactions: Ekcho666

gf199

Feb 19, 2019
Well, it's very easy to get mana potions since it's very easy to earn huge amounts of money very quickly (please don't remove that feature...).
Anyway, will we get Erica's "ultimate" weapon in near future? You can still hand over that hammer from The Prodigal Son to Janet in gear shop, but so far nothing happens.
Also, are there any other scenes possibly planned in the future with some characters? For example with Keiko (outside of Eliza route) or Tania (that girl from Rahib that fell in love with you after you saved her sister)?

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
Well, it's very easy to get mana potions since it's very easy to earn huge amounts of money very quickly (please don't remove that feature...).
Anyway, will we get Erica's "ultimate" weapon in near future? You can still hand over that hammer from The Prodigal Son to Janet in gear shop, but so far nothing happens.
Also, are there any other scenes possibly planned in the future with some characters? For example with Keiko (outside of Eliza route) or Tania (that girl from Rahib that fell in love with you after you saved her sister)?
We were discussing adding new ways to recover mana, so don't worry, money earning should be left as is (what method do you use, by the way?).

Actually, giving the hammer to Janet was supposed to unlock a new quest, originally (with Janet getting kidnapped, no less). Since that one isn't going to be included anymore, maybe I should add a mini-quest, instead (Janet asking for some special materials, so she can make you a better weapon).

No scenes with Keiko outside of special paths, but Tania should get more, yes.

gf199

Feb 19, 2019
Queen of hearts of course. Spider's nest (gambling den in slums, our best buddy Gaspar recommends it to you) can also be used, but it's trickier.
It would be nice if we got mini quest for a weapon, but still up to you, every ultimate weapon needs its mini quest of course heh.
More content for Janet's shop would be nice, it has a lot of potential. I was even wondering if you would add some quest that would allow her to move to Golden Leaf, but that probably won't happen.
And speaking of Golden Leaf, even after you restore everything (from the list that Keiko gives you), there are still some buildings that are in very poor condition (especially in docks), so are there any plans for adding something that would allow us to fix city infrastructure as well?

thedongofapocalypse

Feb 21, 2019
Thanks for the reply, wow the game dev is here, nice! Anyway for early game mana regen, I think that either an item or equipment that would allow a small amount of mana regeneration per time skipped. For example: “Ring of Aquarius” Ring that grant the wearer 1-2MP/phase, so morning-afternoon +MP, afternoon-night + MP.

Or perhaps a consumable like: “Alchemist Blueberry” for an entire day, regenerate 3 mana/phase. That’s just my idea for early game mana problem tho. IDK about late game, maybe it’s true that you’re going to have too much gold to the point of waste.

Too bad no leveling here huh, would you only have summon or would you later have companion or temporary quest character that fight with you? Since I kinda hoarding and saving most of the consumable items since that’s the tradition of RPG.

Ah too bad, that we can’t use hypnosis/mind control then. Maybe MC is a little bit too good and moral for MC xD. Lemme guess the farm is a human farm isn’t it? They sound and feel too suspicious lmao. Do they even breed human and then slaughter them to be sold them as animal meat?

Yes I’ve been withholding going to temple, in case completed the temple did advancing the story too fast without getting first chapter side quests done first. So only animal for now then, though with the title I kinda expect us to use shape shifting as either stealth option or combat utility of picking the right transformation for the right enemy/circumstances. But wait isn’t werewolf also involving transformation either into wolf or into humanoid wolf, what’s the different anyway? Since they either born naturally or get bitten by one. Too bad no vampire transformation as well.

One more thing, how do you recruit the slime girl as your companion, might need a little clue there.

I think for my guideless first run, I’m doing fine with most the quest completed, well expect for the Outcaster that are too elite for you, I know you can simply sneak by, but my RPG sense want to fight them lmao. It also grind my gear that there’s a minimal amount of loot scattered here. Oh well the elemental combat weakness and combination is great tho. If only we can find spell book on the library or in some random ruins.

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
Queen of hearts of course. Spider's nest (gambling den in slums, our best buddy Gaspar recommends it to you) can also be used, but it's trickier.
It would be nice if we got mini quest for a weapon, but still up to you, every ultimate weapon needs its mini quest of course heh.
More content for Janet's shop would be nice, it has a lot of potential. I was even wondering if you would add some quest that would allow her to move to Golden Leaf, but that probably won't happen.
And speaking of Golden Leaf, even after you restore everything (from the list that Keiko gives you), there are still some buildings that are in very poor condition (especially in docks), so are there any plans for adding something that would allow us to fix city infrastructure as well?
Is it just a save/reload tactic, or are the odds really good? I don't remember it being overly generous, but it's been a long time since I added the gambling at the QoH.

Maybe having a Janet/Karen (Golden Leaf's blacksmith) deal could be one extra small quest to also offer something unique.

Are there multiple buildings in disrepair after the fixes? The one at the docks is intentional (although I can't remember if I planned an event of some sorts for it), but I don't remember others being in a poor state if you really fix everything. There are, however, the mill and the tavern which only get repairs done if the town's prosperity reaches a certain treshold (so they might take some extra effort before you can see them without cracks).

Thanks for the reply, wow the game dev is here, nice! Anyway for early game mana regen, I think that either an item or equipment that would allow a small amount of mana regeneration per time skipped. For example: “Ring of Aquarius” Ring that grant the wearer 1-2MP/phase, so morning-afternoon +MP, afternoon-night + MP.

Or perhaps a consumable like: “Alchemist Blueberry” for an entire day, regenerate 3 mana/phase. That’s just my idea for early game mana problem tho. IDK about late game, maybe it’s true that you’re going to have too much gold to the point of waste.

Too bad no leveling here huh, would you only have summon or would you later have companion or temporary quest character that fight with you? Since I kinda hoarding and saving most of the consumable items since that’s the tradition of RPG.

Ah too bad, that we can’t use hypnosis/mind control then. Maybe MC is a little bit too good and moral for MC xD. Lemme guess the farm is a human farm isn’t it? They sound and feel too suspicious lmao. Do they even breed human and then slaughter them to be sold them as animal meat?

Yes I’ve been withholding going to temple, in case completed the temple did advancing the story too fast without getting first chapter side quests done first. So only animal for now then, though with the title I kinda expect us to use shape shifting as either stealth option or combat utility of picking the right transformation for the right enemy/circumstances. But wait isn’t werewolf also involving transformation either into wolf or into humanoid wolf, what’s the different anyway? Since they either born naturally or get bitten by one. Too bad no vampire transformation as well.

One more thing, how do you recruit the slime girl as your companion, might need a little clue there.

I think for my guideless first run, I’m doing fine with most the quest completed, well expect for the Outcaster that are too elite for you, I know you can simply sneak by, but my RPG sense want to fight them lmao. It also grind my gear that there’s a minimal amount of loot scattered here. Oh well the elemental combat weakness and combination is great tho. If only we can find spell book on the library or in some random ruins.
Yes, I try to keep an eye on all the forums where I post my game, so if there are any bugs, you can post about them here and I'll see it too.

Something to restore mana when the time phase changes shouldn't upset the balance at all, so I can add it without any worries (by the way, if you take a nap at home, you advance 1 time slot and recover 5 HP + 5 MP). Heck, I might even make it so that it's your natural mana regeneration, so you get it without needing to consume an item or wear an accessory (if it's just 2 MP, it's really nothing much).

Generally speaking, it's just you and the summon. I partly regret how I set things up. I think I could have had some leveling, but I wasn't sure about using the RPG Maker default, and balancing the combat in a game that doesn't have too many fights gets tricky (one level might become a big difference), I also don't like grind, and I feel like whenever you add levels, it's too easy to force people down certain "optimization" patterns. You can still get more powerful unlocking new spells and whatnot, so it's not a flat experience, at least.

The farm is indeed suspicious, but they aren't THAT cruel. Their cows might be "special", however. XD

Once you finish the temple, the new chapter doesn't start until you sit down at your desk, and the protagonist writes her notes about what she discovered, so it's completely up to you when you want to advance. I did it like that specifically to avoid screwing people over. I kept the transformations outside of combat because of the lore of the game.
Being a shapeshifter is seen with prejudice and they try to keep it a secret, and I didn't want to make exceptions whenever there is an audience to the fight (although maybe I should have done that, and it could have been more interesting).

The werewolf transformation isn't willing, and isn't tied to the protagonist's natural shapeshifting powers. It's not quite a curse, but it has its own rules and doesn't interact with shapeshifting.

I was considering making the slimegirl a companion, but I don't think I ever did, actually. If you defeat her, she'll stay in the forest, but won't cause problems anymore (you can go visit her for some fun). The outcome of this quest also affects more than meets the eye, by the way, as two factions are at war, and this is one of their proxy fights.

You'll be able to find some spells or get them as rewards for quests later on. I should probably do a second pass before 1.0, and see if I should add more spells to the game.

4.30 star(s) 43 Votes