• We will be performing maintenance to upgrade some of our forum tools. During this time, the site will remain online, but you may encounter some errors until the maintenance is complete. The report and search functions will be unavailable until the maintenance is complete.

Maintenance is expected to last up to 9 hours.

The maintenance window will start on Thursday, 2024/07/04, at: 1:00 PM GMT / 3:00 PM CEST / 9:00 AM EDT / 6:00 AM PDT / 12:00 AM AEDT

Thank you for your patience.

Ren'Py Camp Klondike [Night Six Part One] [Swimsoot]

4.80 star(s) 72 Votes

Uriel ☁

Nov 28, 2017
This game was such a breath of clean air. I've just finished day 3 but I'm loving it.
This game is the living testament of how storytelling can be enriched with the right sound effect at the right time.

I've found this game from the weighted rating 2nd page btw, so the game is in the top 60 game of all times if you didn't know. It's a massive feature given that even some of the more popular games are behind it.

Uriel ☁

Nov 28, 2017
Wow! Where do I find this page? That sounds great!
Go on the "Latest updates" page. On the right there're the filters, in the "Sorting" section click on "Weighted rating".
The game is at the bottom of the second page, above even some absolute juggernauts. Imo deservedly.

Edit: or well, click this link lol.

Ogre

Mar 29, 2018
Swimsoot, your dialogue, timing, and imagination are outstanding. These conversations seem real, or at least the kind of real if the world were full of smart people with filthy minds (as it should be). The ability to express sexual topics through the minds of multiple very different but likeable women, with not just sex but the concerns that real young women have about sex, that's a rare thing. The ability to build tension like you have is even rarer.

Some people are hung up on the graphics, and I get it. The faces and expressions are perfect for the story, the bodies are a bit less so. But that's ok. If you had this level of writing with top tier character models, you would probably crash the internet for good.

eddienova

Jan 11, 2021
Swimsoot, your dialogue, timing, and imagination are outstanding. These conversations seem real, or at least the kind of real if the world were full of smart people with filthy minds (as it should be). The ability to express sexual topics through the minds of multiple very different but likeable women, with not just sex but the concerns that real young women have about sex, that's a rare thing. The ability to build tension like you have is even rarer.

Some people are hung up on the graphics, and I get it. The faces and expressions are perfect for the story, the bodies are a bit less so. But that's ok. If you had this level of writing with top tier character models, you would probably crash the internet for good.
It's funny, but I find the style of characters adds to the charm, and if they were too polished, it might detract from the game.. just a thought.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
It's funny, but I find the style of characters adds to the charm, and if they were too polished, it might detract from the game.. just a thought.
It sure adds to the charm, but that's only because this version is the one we discovered, so we have learned to love that style (in fact, even if the game were not as good as it is, I'd still find it pretty appealing in its own personal, imperfect way). But it's obvious that many people aren't willing to even try a game that doesn't look 'pretty' at first sight. Now, if you try and imagine this very same game but with a more 'generic but broadly accepted' graphic style (keeping all the close-ups, facial expressions, effects, and animations, but changing just the 'base art'), I'd say many more people would fall in love with it, which is just what the other poster said.

eddienova

Jan 11, 2021
It sure adds to the charm, but that's only because this version is the one we discovered, so we have learned to love that style (in fact, even if the game were not as good as it is, I'd still find it pretty appealing in its own personal, imperfect way). But it's obvious that many people aren't willing to even try a game that doesn't look 'pretty' at first sight. Now, if you try and imagine this very same game but with a more 'generic but broadly accepted' graphic style (keeping all the close-ups, facial expressions, effects, and animations, but changing just the 'base art'), I'd say many more people would fall in love with it, which is just what the other poster said.
That's absolutely fair. Hard to say :)

Reactions: swimsoot

Ogre

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.

swimsoot

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2020
If you had this level of writing with top tier character models, you would probably crash the internet for good.
Wow. Thanks so much! I always knew the art would be the biggest mountain for me. I did it mostly because it was a fun learning challenge and I knew in the end I could control the look (even if it would be a bit amateur.) Waiting around for an expert to care enough to do all the stuff I wanted also felt like a chore. The flip side is how cool it could have come out. Although I'm plodding through the rest of the Klondike art by myself, I'm thinking about this for next time!

eddienova

Jan 11, 2021
Wow. Thanks so much! I always knew the art would be the biggest mountain for me. I did it mostly because it was a fun learning challenge and I knew in the end I could control the look (even if it would be a bit amateur.) Waiting around for an expert to care enough to do all the stuff I wanted also felt like a chore. The flip side is how cool it could have come out. Although I'm plodding through the rest of the Klondike art by myself, I'm thinking about this for next time!
I honestly wish I was a better at animation and such, I'd offer my services. unfortunately, I am trash at that. But if I ever get better ;)

Reactions: swimsoot

SilentRunning

Feb 19, 2021
Honestly, what you have produced here is unique and beautiful. I was stunned by how well it turned out.

The writing is good. The characters are all interesting. Certainly you nailed that as well, but the visuals are equally powerful and well done.

I think you made the right choice doing the art yourself. It never felt amateur to me. If you had tried to use top tier 3d models your creativity would have been limited by that choice.

I rarely go back to just enjoy the artistic creativity of scenes in these games, but I did go back many times while playing Camp Klondike. I can still see many of the scenes in my mind, even now as they were just so striking.

The scene with the MC, Merit and the flashlight was so well done. As was the entire Icebreaker event.

Don't sell yourself short. Art can be technically great, but boring and predictable. Creativity and vision are often more important than technical skills.

swimsoot

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2020
Art can be technically great, but boring and predictable. Creativity and vision are often more important than technical skills.
Thanks so much! When I was in high school, I used to try and draw my fantasy women and wow did they come out different than expected! And yet, it was such a rush to see how they would turn out. Might be one of the pluses to stumbling around artistically is how you end up looking at a character who was never quite yours to begin with.

madtwilek

Jul 27, 2020
I've learned about this game from some guy on this forum, who has that funny signature saying "Camp Klondike - one of the most criminally underrated games on f95" or smth like that. Sadly, I do not remember who was that user, but I'm so much grateful to that kind Sir (or Lady) for bringing me up here.
And since 2dcg together with smart captivating dialogs and multiple unique characters is irresistible combo for me, I'm simply in love now with the game, thank you all very much!

4.80 star(s) 72 Votes