Ren'Py Camp Klondike [Night Six Part One] [Swimsoot]

4.70 star(s) 70 Votes

0Jg6@^$WYe

Apr 8, 2018
It was a good decision to go with this art and animation style rather than Daz/etc. Reminds me of an artsy version of that show that nobody has heard of and which has bombed horribly, South Park. ;) Not to mention that it seems more sustainable than the other original art directions I've seen, and it'd be nice for someone to finish a game for once.

I also think you've pulled off your goal of positivity so far, and that's a breath of fresh air. The camp/counselor setting makes it believable, but there are other camp games that still just impossibly creepy predators. This is (so far) well-adjusted, curious young adults having a moment out of time, victimizing no one, not even doing anything too ludicrous. I think anyone who has been in a similar setting (road trips, exchange programs, band camp, etc.) will recognize most of these moments.

There's some polish that will presumably come with time. I encountered a lot of extra black screens to click through; that got me clicking so fast that I sometimes skipped through an animated page without realizing it. I'm sure someone will object to the lack of impactful choices (most "wrong" choices lead to a do-over screen) but I personally like this being more of a visual novel to preserve the believability and positivity, with the dialogue options just being a way to shape the character a little or to spend more time with the characters you prefer most. I think a flowchart with some clues about what we might have missed would be nice (I am not sure if there's that much to miss yet, but I did stumble over the two tracks at the end of the campfire scene only by accident, and I see some sunbathing scene in the art folder that I didn't encounter in-game).

Anyway, I hope this one makes it for a few more releases at least. The fact that the game has a built-in end date (the characters are at the location a week) gives me hope, as games like that always seem to make it the farthest (less dev fatigue, knowing the end is in sight?). And then the aforementioned road trips and exchange programs would make for good sequels! Let's dump the characters on that Euro beach and see if they survive.

Reactions: Alfius and swimsoot

Dalbert33

Dec 21, 2020
Like the idea,like the concept but artwork is nightmare fuel with them buckteeth and creepy smiles....sorry,just can't get over it :) I am sure you did your best but those teeth freak me out

bolondro2

Oct 12, 2018
I have finished a play of the game and I have enjoyed it.

The art. I like that a developer takes risks and make thinks diferents. The stile gives me a strong "south park" vibe and makes the job. In this game the art support the storytelling, not otherwise.

And the storytelling it´s really good. A pinch (a generous one) of humor, and I get inmersed in the situations. Reallistic enought to not breaking the suspension of disbelive, and the developer is able to make a really erotic scene just with words, without a (too) explicit art. That´s something.

The content, for a first release, its generous. THe developer acomplish the goal of seting the scene and present the
characters. The characters are well diferenced and presented in some deep. And I like that the story will have a definite end (it´s a week of campimg) so there are hope that the game will be finished and don´t drag on its feet indefinitely.

Last edited:
Reactions: swimsoot

Tauro Thurius

Jul 17, 2021
This was one weird experience, not in a bad way though. It certainly is different compared to other games in this genre. At first, artwork was a tad creepy for my taste; but I got used to it after a short while. I'm not so sure about the story, I guess we'll have to wait and see how it will take shape.

I wish you a good luck.

swimsoot

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2020
I have finished a play of the game and I have enjoyed it.

The art. I like that a developer takes risks and make thinks diferents. The stile gives me a strong "south park" vibe and makes the job. In this game the art support the storytelling, not otherwise.

And the storytelling it´s really good. A pinch (a generous one) of humor, and I get inmersed in the situations. Reallistic enought to not breaking the suspension of disbelive, and the developer is able to make a really erotic scene just with words, without a (too) explicit art. That´s something.

The content, for a first release, its generous. THe developer acomplish the goal of seting the scene and present the
characters. The characters are well diferenced and presented in some deep. And I like that the story will have a definite end (it´s a week of campimg) so there are hope that the game will be finished and don´t drag on its feet indefinitely.
Glad you had a good experience overall. I am learning the art so that takes some time (and risks). Day Two is coming very soon. Thanks for the thoughts!

swimsoot

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2020
It was a good decision to go with this art and animation style rather than Daz/etc. Reminds me of an artsy version of that show that nobody has heard of and which has bombed horribly, South Park. ;) Not to mention that it seems more sustainable than the other original art directions I've seen, and it'd be nice for someone to finish a game for once.

I also think you've pulled off your goal of positivity so far, and that's a breath of fresh air. The camp/counselor setting makes it believable, but there are other camp games that still just impossibly creepy predators. This is (so far) well-adjusted, curious young adults having a moment out of time, victimizing no one, not even doing anything too ludicrous. I think anyone who has been in a similar setting (road trips, exchange programs, band camp, etc.) will recognize most of these moments.

There's some polish that will presumably come with time. I encountered a lot of extra black screens to click through; that got me clicking so fast that I sometimes skipped through an animated page without realizing it. I'm sure someone will object to the lack of impactful choices (most "wrong" choices lead to a do-over screen) but I personally like this being more of a visual novel to preserve the believability and positivity, with the dialogue options just being a way to shape the character a little or to spend more time with the characters you prefer most. I think a flowchart with some clues about what we might have missed would be nice (I am not sure if there's that much to miss yet, but I did stumble over the two tracks at the end of the campfire scene only by accident, and I see some sunbathing scene in the art folder that I didn't encounter in-game).

Anyway, I hope this one makes it for a few more releases at least. The fact that the game has a built-in end date (the characters are at the location a week) gives me hope, as games like that always seem to make it the farthest (less dev fatigue, knowing the end is in sight?). And then the aforementioned road trips and exchange programs would make for good sequels! Let's dump the characters on that Euro beach and see if they survive.
I'm pleased you had such a good experience. I had a LOT of fun doing it. I'll keep working on the art, as it's what I know the least although I set the whole thing up to be able to have the characters stay as consistent as possible given my abilities. Although some stuff may get a bit edgier in future episodes, overall I am definitely going for "positivity" and "victimizing no one." They will all get a chance to push the boundaries they always wanted to push within reason and some sort of believability. Day Two is close at hand! (and the sunbathing stuff wasn't meant to be there yet. Good eye.)

swimsoot

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2020
I encountered a lot of extra black screens to click through; that got me clicking so fast that I sometimes skipped through an animated page without realizing it.
Not sure why the extra black scenes happened - they're not in my version. What format are you using? Mobile? I did it all on Mac.

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
Not right now, I'm afraid. I'm up for someone configuring one if they're up for it.
Love love love the Art style. The game looks very good. Will try in in a couple of months.

You should apply for a dev tag.
Just under Tickets, Open a new Ticket and state that you want a Dev Tag with a link to this thread.

Good luck!!

perheiro

Apr 25, 2017
I like the idea, I like the concept, love the art and the Dev's attitude is super. Oh and I like to download. Here we go! Weeeeeeeeeee!!!:cool:

swimsoot

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2020
Love love love the Art style. The game looks very good. Will try in in a couple of months.

You should apply for a dev tag.
Just under Tickets, Open a new Ticket and state that you want a Dev Tag with a link to this thread.

Good luck!!
Shall do!

Reactions: Riyori
4.70 star(s) 70 Votes