Ren'Py Abandoned Castlecry [v0.15.5] [The Open Project Games]

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I don't care enough to have an opinion on chivalry, but this is an interesting video from Shadiversity that takes a look at the subject and I thought that some here may enjoy checking it out:
As a teacher of history, I'll just point out that this is a very subjective view of chivalry and ignores it's most important component: chivalry was the code of warfare espoused by the Catholic Church of the Middle Ages. It was not nearly so arbitrary as he claims. The German word Knecht originally meant "vassal," though it morphed into "servant" over time (and still means, essentially, "farm hand").

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Personally I never saw the appeal in medieval crap, despite having a deep love for fantasy fiction. Knights are just glorified thugs, put in place to enforce the status quo and guard dog their master's interests. Same reason I never got too into samurais either, since they are basically cut from the same cloth. Most of Europe during those times were slave states for all intents and purposes, with a small groups of wealthy land owners doing everything they could to keep everyone else down to feed their ever growing greed using blood as their excuse for it all. Unless you have some power fantasies about being one of the ruling class, there isn't really much to get into there.

It is a bit of a shame we haven't learned from the mistakes of the past though. With our current tax systems, none of us truly own any land or even our labor for that matter. Most all of us are to some extent wage slaves beholden to a system of debt meant to keep us in our place and dutifully serving our masters for fear of having our property and liberty stripped from us in retribution if we don't toe the line.

gendruil

Jun 4, 2017
Without trying to turn this into a big ol' history debate, the HRE wasn't even titled that until later. The Investiture Controversy wasn't particularly interesting, as we have loads of historical data around secular lords attempting to secure bishoprics, and trying to assert control over the Church. Look at the crowning of Napoleon or Charles XII for more examples.

The Byzantines weren't doing too well either. The iconic schism between East and Western Christianity happened just about this time, which began a period of decline for the Byzantines, having to align themselves somewhere and deal with the fallout of these different sects. Also very embarassing losses to emerging Turk and Arab nations.

The Byzantine stuff would make for a cool backdrop to a game, but I doubt it's being used here. I'm not sure, the art looks poor so I haven't played the game. Is there supposed to be a specific geographical setting?
I know but when you write Kingdom Germany or go with one of the duchies, most people simply have no clue what you're talking about. the HRE on the other hand is common knowledge. thank you creative assembly!
I actually think we're not having a debate, i just disagreed with you on the interresting-part. for me as a german the norman invasion of england is not really interesting, the danish did the same a few years earlier so what?:p but a german king with the determination to be a pain in the ass of the pope is great. so interresting depends on your point of view.

ChronoSig

Game Developer
Jan 1, 2018
Thank you to everybody for the feedback, as for historical aspects of the game, it is for the most part accurate due to my personal background in the subject. But as for the game we have taken all comments into consideration. I personally made most of the background and other art while we had another guy do the H-stuff. What we will do to resolve this issue is increase how much text there is and how detailed it will be. But our first focus for our next update will be to get the personal slave system working and then maybe add a new mechanic into the game to engage the player more.

Early Cuyler

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listens...and waits
Donor
Jul 1, 2017
Thank you to everybody for the feedback, as for historical aspects of the game, it is for the most part accurate due to my personal background in the subject. But as for the game we have taken all comments into consideration. I personally made most of the background and other art while we had another guy do the H-stuff. What we will do to resolve this issue is increase how much text there is and how detailed it will be. But our first focus for our next update will be to get the personal slave system working and then maybe add a new mechanic into the game to engage the player more.
I look forward to the update, what-ever engages the player more in this game is a Plus++.

bearclaw01234

Mar 13, 2018
As a teacher of history, I'll just point out that this is a very subjective view of chivalry and ignores it's most important component: chivalry was the code of warfare espoused by the Catholic Church of the Middle Ages. It was not nearly so arbitrary as he claims. The German word Knecht originally meant "vassal," though it morphed into "servant" over time (and still means, essentially, "farm hand").
This is just the romanticized version of it, after Constantine's Choice was made. It is so much more than just a Code of Conduct during war. For a so-called history teacher, ye seem to know very little of the whole picture... sad.

Richard Perkins

Jul 15, 2017
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 830, in script
    if wonderingfam == False:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 830, in <module>
NameError: name 'wonderingfam' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "E:\renpy\Castlecry 1.0 OFFICIAL\Chronos-1.0-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1729, in execute
    if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
  File "E:\renpy\Castlecry 1.0 OFFICIAL\Chronos-1.0-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1943, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "E:\renpy\Castlecry 1.0 OFFICIAL\Chronos-1.0-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1936, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
Chronos 1.0
Fri Jul 06 18:15:03 2018
This is an error!!!!

Soulord

May 21, 2017
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "E:\renpy\Castlecry 1.0 OFFICIAL\Chronos-1.0-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1729, in execute
    if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
  File "E:\renpy\Castlecry 1.0 OFFICIAL\Chronos-1.0-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1943, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "E:\renpy\Castlecry 1.0 OFFICIAL\Chronos-1.0-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1936, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
Chronos 1.0
Fri Jul 06 18:15:03 2018
This is an error!!!!
Yes indeed, this is a bug. It will be fixed in the next version, since it has been reported earlier and I have already fixed it !

Thank you for reporting it :)

Soul', Head developer of CastleCry

ChronoSig

Game Developer
Jan 1, 2018
Status Update: We are redoing the whole menu to be more visual friendly. So this upcoming update will be quiet the overhaul on all menu items. Along with the map overhaul their will be a new batch of 8 events majority of them sexual with the implementation of two new optional fetishes. Here is a quick preview of the new map. (No buttons yet) If you want further info check out our Patreon or join us at our Discord, both links at first page. Final City Level 1.png

Reactions: Catwashere

ChronoSig

Game Developer
Jan 1, 2018
why RenPy? Why not HTML?
Our coder didn't know how to use Twine but knew how to use RenPy. If we ever get enough funding we want to just build our own engine for management type games in the similar fashion that Strive for Power did.

fregreger

Apr 28, 2018
The author's statement "alternate Europe where chivalry and piety didn't exist" seems to evoke a strong response from some people convinced that well, on what grounds can we assume that they ever did?

As someone who studied this historical period for more than just "popular YouTube videos" and wikipedia, I have to say blanket generalizations one way or another stem from a lack of reasoning and knowledge of the matter.

The statement "all knights were murderers and rapists" reveals more about the person making it rather than historical reality.

The more one studies the medieval and so called "dark" history period, the more you realize how intricate and many sided it was. Just because social mores were different from today doesn't mean they didn't exist. Societies were colored by laws and acceptable codes of behavior in certain areas and in certain periods, just as well as outsiders who flaunted them.

To put into perspective, imagine if someone from the far future were to judge today's period just from remnants of forum posts, picture memes and comments. They would think that modern civilized society consisted of nothing but bigots, perverts and idiots, and all notions of science, justice and peace that characterize our world are nothing but hypocritical fantasy. Which can be taken as being mostly the case...but we aren't in a position to see it this way, because we experience the nuances of our historical reality daily in a way that can't be quickly put into a generalized perspective.

ADIDAS

Feb 3, 2018
I could't help me and downloaded it. Let's see what this is...

... and it is nothing. A Bug in the smithy upgrade, very crude drawings and mixed style of the art, no target, no sense of direction.

Why exactly had this to be published yet?
Because everyone wants to show off their steaming pile of shit, I guess development has already hit that point where they feel like they've accomplished something. But let me tell ya that art sure isn't accomplished.

Tweaker69

Aug 12, 2016
Upgrades to smithy and to dirt mounds on palisade do nothing. The upgrades are still available, they do not show up in "already constructed" buildings, and there is no discernible effect on the game. Well, they do take your money and menial slaves each time you choose them, so I suppose they do actually do something...

It does seem like this "Dev" seems to think a lot of what they've accomplished, which is likely a bad sign IMHO. They speak of their "coding team," which worries me even further. The events are few, sparsely described and mostly devoid of artwork. The concept, however, is appealing to me. We shall see what, if anything, comes of this. Ideas are easy, and implementation is only easy to do badly.

The art isn't actually horrible, but could use a hefty bit of polish. The lines lack confidence, and even great proportions look shoddy without smooth strokes defining them. Clean up that shading, add some light-source, and please take more care with the delicate bits. They should appear soft and pliant, and thick lines with no shading or color differential makes them seem hard and even jagged.

Also, I just looked at the screenshots again, after playing the game. I believe they are the most polished and attractive pictures in the game as of .15

RageKnight

Aug 17, 2017
The year is 1068 C.E. and Europe is a broil of wars for power. This all seems familiar but also different. History has been the same as you know up to this point, but there is some slight deviation for this isn’t the world you know. This happens to be a split of the course of time. In this Parallel Universe the values of the people are different then the Chivalry and Piety of the high medieval age you know of. Emphasis has been placed on Rape, Breeding, and most of all Slavery. Majority of the world is based off this idea of Slavery and Breeding to make more slaves. Sometimes whole villages and Castles are based off a slave population.
I don't give a damn about non of that shit. This better have some DUES VULT to backup the Slavery I may be apart of.

ChronoSig

Game Developer
Jan 1, 2018
Upgrades to smithy and to dirt mounds on palisade do nothing. The upgrades are still available, they do not show up in "already constructed" buildings, and there is no discernible effect on the game. Well, they do take your money and menial slaves each time you choose them, so I suppose they do actually do something...

It does seem like this "Dev" seems to think a lot of what they've accomplished, which is likely a bad sign IMHO. They speak of their "coding team," which worries me even further. The events are few, sparsely described and mostly devoid of artwork. The concept, however, is appealing to me. We shall see what, if anything, comes of this. Ideas are easy, and implementation is only easy to do badly.

The art isn't actually horrible, but could use a hefty bit of polish. The lines lack confidence, and even great proportions look shoddy without smooth strokes defining them. Clean up that shading, add some light-source, and please take more care with the delicate bits. They should appear soft and pliant, and thick lines with no shading or color differential makes them seem hard and even jagged.

Also, I just looked at the screenshots again, after playing the game. I believe they are the most polished and attractive pictures in the game as of .15
Thank you for the feedback we do have a lot of new content ready to implement but we have hit a road bump. When I refer to the Coding Team I mean a team. On the project as a whole we have Two Coders, Three/Four writers, but only one artist who as you can see from the CG's is quite new at it and isn't the fastest at drawing. We do have another 50-60 new events written for the game which would fill it up, but we have a solo artist who can't up with three writers every week. I still need to throw up the road map on our patreon describing what is coming soon. First of which Is a new mini-game for battles very similar to The Banner Saga's combat style. We are also co-currently working on fully implementing personal slaves.

It is not "I think a lot of what we've accomplished." more of "I am excited for the future."

Second Note. I will look into the buildings issue, they should be showing an explanation on what they do. It may be a bug we missed. We are adding in more buildings with new events that interact with what is available.

Reactions: Nerull

ChronoSig

Game Developer
Jan 1, 2018
I don't give a damn about non of that shit. This better have some DUES VULT to backup the Slavery I may be apart of.
Eventually the plan is to become as Macro as Crusader Kings 2 hopefully? (Wishful Thinking) Soooo possibly DUES VULT?

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote