Ren'Py Completed Caught in the Middle [v1.0] [ASM Studio]

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Kinetic AND No Sexual Content is 100% a deal breaker for me, but the renders and the idea look promising. Good luck to all.
I'm glad you liked the renders and the general idea :)

I hope the game shows up again in your radar after two updates (once the sexual content is added) so you can give it a try.

Reactions: Tiur and DarhkBlu

DarhkBlu

Apr 19, 2020
I'm glad you liked the renders and the general idea :)

I hope the game shows up again in your radar after two updates (once the sexual content is added) so you can give it a try.
I love it when I see comments like that persons cause its clear that they didn't read any of the comments you made where you do state that there will be sexual content later on,For me atleast when ever I see that tag on a fresh game I always make sure to go and read the comments just to confirm if that tag was just there for the moment or permenant.

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020

Pinup - Test 1.jpg

Greetings,

As I expected, the 0.1 of the game opened up to a rather lukewarm response - at least in terms of the number of responses it generated. (So, a particularly huge thanks to everyone who left comments so far.)

But, don't worry, the lack of response is not going to affect the development in any way - as I knew what I was signing up for when I took on this project.

---

However, I also messed up big time by promoting the game with a 'no sexual content' tag - when I just meant to say it has no sexual content in this particular update.

That silly mistake probably lowered the no. of players who tried this game quite significantly.

So, in order to make up for the poor opening, I'm working as fast I can to deliver Episode 2 and promote the game as it is meant to be.

I'm currently planning to release 0.2 by the 20th of this month. But just to be safe, I'll say 27th of April will be the official release date of 0.2.

---

Lastly, just like in the pilot, I'll be making some risky story-telling decisions in the upcoming episode too.

And I can't wait to show them to you when the time comes :)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Balu83 and jufot

Jnx

Jun 6, 2017
So I like it. I will say it's a little one note, and they seem a little old to be pining over each other like this. I also think going from setup of the premise to immediately telling an allegory about the premise is a little redundant.

But I am hopeful about what's to come from this. I appreciate a slower pace and writing that isn't god awful.

Reactions: Arisushi

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
So I like it.
--- I am hopeful about what's to come from this. I appreciate a slower pace and writing that isn't god awful.
Thank you. I'll do my best to tell the most interesting story I can.

They seem a little old to be pining over each other like this.
That's totally fair :)

I did purposefully exaggerate everything about the characters and their interaction.

So, I can see how it may come off as a little too juvenile to some (or many) players.

I also think going from setup of the premise to immediately telling an allegory about the premise is a little redundant.
By allegory, I'm assuming you mean
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Again, that's a completely fair critique. ( Although this time, I can guarantee that the future updates won't have that issue :) )

But to explain my reasoning behind it - The first act of the game (0.1 - 0.4) is all about "hopping between moments" of the three leads' lives.

And that little section was my attempt at adding a little flavor to what would have been just another normal flashback.

Jnx

Jun 6, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I do get that. I just think that would be more of a callback or back to basics thing to do later when or if the story gets more convoluted. I do see it as more of showing how Faye work but more... erm... laymen readers will probably find it jarring, in my opinion.

I generally don't rate anything until they're a little more mature into development but what I will say is it's solid. Quite a few of the renders are very grainy and could use work. And the text could use a dark outline as even with the textbox some of the words get lost due to the bright lighting. But I'm definitely interested in what's to come of this.

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
I do get that. I just think that would be more of a callback or back to basics thing to do later when or if the story gets more convoluted. I do see it as more of showing how Faye work but more... erm... laymen readers will probably find it jarring, in my opinion.
Point taken :)

Quite a few of the renders are very grainy and could use work. And the text could use a dark outline as even with the textbox some of the words get lost due to the bright lighting. But I'm definitely interested in what's to come of this.
Unfortunately, the grainy renders may continue in the future updates too - as this is pretty much all my PC can handle at the moment without dying on me. (That being said, I'm looking into ways to manually de-noise the images without making it look too artificial. Hopefully, I'll find something that works well enough.)

But I WILL definitely fix the text readability issues by 0.3's release - either by making the text box less transparent or having thicker outlines for the dialogs (whichever works the best) (y)

Reactions: Jnx

jufot

May 15, 2021
I really liked this update! The tavern scene played out brilliantly, and Faye turned out to be delightfully manipulative :)

• Red Heart

Jnx

Jun 6, 2017
Point taken :)

Unfortunately, the grainy renders may continue in the future updates too - as this is pretty much all my PC can handle at the moment without dying on me. (That being said, I'm looking into ways to manually de-noise the images without making it look too artificial. Hopefully, I'll find something that works well enough.)

But I WILL definitely fix the text readability issues by 0.3's release - either by making the text box less transparent or having thicker outlines for the dialogs (whichever works the best) (y)
A good way to deal with grain is to have the image lit enough to not cause the artifacts but edit them to look darker (ie bluer lights and vignetting can help) But I don't use daz so I can't say for sure how all that works

• Red Heart

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
A good way to deal with grain is to have the image lit enough to not cause the artifacts but edit them to look darker (ie bluer lights and vignetting can help) But I don't use daz so I can't say for sure how all that works
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind while working on the future updates :)

yasenib

Mar 12, 2020
Passion projects might become great games eventually, this one seems to be in the right track :)
Btw one question about the image rendering: are you doing your renders directly on DAZ 3D? I'm currently trying my hand on using DAZ for character creation and scene composition and then using Blender for final renders. The idea is to get lower render times and better image quality (less grains / noise)

Greetings,

This is the writer (and the so-so artist) of "Caught in the Middle". Here to give a quick info about the nature of this kinetic novel.

---

To keep it very simple - CitM is a passion project of mine.

It's a (potentially) seasonal series, whose "First Act" is a self-contained story which will be presented in 4-6 episodes.

Also, (as the sole developer of the game) this project gives me complete freedom as a writer and allows me to take as many risky decisions as possible - as I do not have to worry about negatively affecting a partner's financial success in the process.

Episode 1 dives head first into ALL OF THOSE risky decisions.

. Keeping the game as a kinetic novel
. Having three protagonists
. Complete lack of inner monologues and narrations
. Eccentric (or should I say exaggerated?) characters interactions
. Giving more importance to the "under-lying sexual tension" than the "actual" sex.

Everything is in here!!

---

But, at the same time, I'm not so arrogant enough to think every decision I make will always be the right one.

The development CitM is going to be a process of evolution - where I will make some mistakes, learn from them and improve the game into a better one with each new episode.

So if you tried this game, (thank you... also) please share your thoughts on it below.

Positive or negative, all feedback are truly appreciated. (However, the positive ones might be a little more cherished though :))

Thank you for reading all that. Looking forward to your responses.

Take care and stay safe.

Reactions: JLarq and Arisushi

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Passion projects might become great games eventually, this one seems to be in the right track :)
Thank you :)

Btw one question about the image rendering: are you doing your renders directly on DAZ 3D? I'm currently trying my hand on using DAZ for character creation and scene composition and then using Blender for final renders. The idea is to get lower render times and better image quality (less grains / noise)
Yes, I've been doing the renders directly on DAZ.

(Being a total beginner at this) I have absolutely no experience with Blender. So I don't know how fast/slow I can learn to do it. But I'll be sure to give it a try (and improvise based on how it goes) (y)

ashitanojoe

Oct 20, 2019
You can use intel denoiser, if you don't want to use Daz denoiser and you want to eliminate the grain fast https://f95zone.to/threads/intel-open-image-denoiser-1-3.35678/

Intel denoiser example:

Before
1789527_Sample_5.jpg
After 1789527_Sample_5_intel.jpg

Some renders get better than others.

• Red Heart

ashitanojoe

Oct 20, 2019
Thank you very much. This could be just what a noob like me needs. I'll try it out right away :)
There's an easy way to get the result images. Once you have downloaded and unzipped the intel denoiser, you can download this 'drag and drop' software

Unzip it, launch the .exe and where it's written 'path to intel denoiser' choose the path where the unzipped 'intel denoiser' folder is. Drag an image and that's all, the image will appear where you have chosen the 'output path'. Select jpg as image format so the files will be lighter.

1650532096517.png

You can download the nvidia denoiser too and you will have too different results per render, so you can choose the better one.

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote