Ren'Py Completed Caught in the Middle [v1.0] [ASM Studio]

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Banner 1.jpg

Overview:
Tony & Carina are acquaintances who are attracted to each other, but refuse to act upon those feelings for their own reasons. Faye is a close friend of theirs - who has zero filter when it comes to her words.

Experience the character-driven romance between three "friends", where quite the handful of shenanigans are guaranteed to happen.
Thread Updated: 2022-05-29
Release Date: 2022-05-29
Developer: ASM STUDIO
Censored: No
Version: 1.0
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Changelog:
DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux: - - - -
Mac: - - - -
Others:
ANDROID*

Extras:
Italian Translation*

*This port/version is unofficial and not released by the developer, download at your own risk.

Sample 1.jpg Sample 9.jpg Sample 5.jpg Sample 6.jpg Sample 8.jpg Sample 7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Greetings,

This is the writer (and the so-so artist) of "Caught in the Middle". Here to give a quick info about the nature of this kinetic novel.

---

To keep it very simple - CitM is a passion project of mine.

It's a (potentially) seasonal series, whose "First Act" is a self-contained story which will be presented in 4-6 episodes.

Also, (as the sole developer of the game) this project gives me complete freedom as a writer and allows me to take as many risky decisions as possible - as I do not have to worry about negatively affecting a partner's financial success in the process.

Episode 1 dives head first into ALL OF THOSE risky decisions.

. Keeping the game as a kinetic novel
. Having three protagonists
. Complete lack of inner monologues and narrations
. Eccentric (or should I say exaggerated?) characters interactions
. Giving more importance to the "under-lying sexual tension" than the "actual" sex.

Everything is in here!!

---

But, at the same time, I'm not so arrogant enough to think every decision I make will always be the right one.

The development CitM is going to be a process of evolution - where I will make some mistakes, learn from them and improve the game into a better one with each new episode.

So if you tried this game, (thank you... also) please share your thoughts on it below.

Positive or negative, all feedback are truly appreciated. (However, the positive ones might be a little more cherished though :))

Thank you for reading all that. Looking forward to your responses.

Take care and stay safe.

Last edited:

jufot

May 15, 2021
. Keeping the game as a kinetic novel
. Having three protagonists
. Complete lack of inner monologues and narrations
. Eccentric (or should I say exaggerated?) characters interactions
. Giving more importance to the "under-lying sexual tension" than the "actual" sex.

[...]

So if you tried this game, (thank you... also) please share your thoughts on it below.
This was a great intro, and all five of those choices turned out great! I'm genuinely interested to see where this is heading, and depending on how the next update goes, you might find yourself with a new patron :)

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
@ Dev, I suggest removing "no sexual content" from the tag list. It's gonna turn people off and make people think that the game will never have sexual content, which I'm sure it will eventually have. They will skip over it
Yes, I was quite concerned about that myself.

I tried changing the tag after your suggestion, but it didn't reflect at the top of the thread.

I'm assuming the thread has to be reported again. (I don't know how that would be received by the mods.)

So, I added it back in for now.

Maybe it'll be a blessing in disguise and grab the attention of audience who prefer a more story-oriented game.

---

Anyways, I'll definitely remove the tag when 0.2 is published. Thank you for letting me know :)

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
This was a great intro, and all five of those choices turned out great! I'm genuinely interested to see where this is heading, and depending on how the next update goes, you might find yourself with a new patron :)
Thank you. I'm really glad to hear you liked it :)

I'll be sure to deliver my best for 0.2 as well.

TripleV

Jun 10, 2018
Quick question on style actually. I've always considered kinetic novels are more about telling a story with little meaningful input from the player, but here it seems that there will be?

I guess I'm trying to clarify what does kinetic novel mean in the context of this game?

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Quick question on style actually. I've always considered kinetic novels are more about telling a story with little meaningful input from the player, but here it seems that there will be?

I guess I'm trying to clarify what does kinetic novel mean in the context of this game?
Yes, you've got the right idea.

This game does offer some space to "explore" when compared to a traditional kinetic novel.

That being said, the number of decisions you'll be able to make in CitM will be quite low (especially when compared to modern day, western VNs)

So, calling it a "visual novel" might come off as false advertising.

---

(Think of it like the Planet Pluto conundrum :LOL:

The poor thing was so tiny that there were doubts on whether it should be called a planet or not.)

Likewise - this is a visual novel by structure. But it's much closer to a kinetic novel in its essence :)

Reactions: CoffeeSaint

CoffeeSaint

Mar 12, 2022
hey, arisushimake,

hope this finds you well.
the soundtrack you picked as a bed for your novel is quite good, mate — it sounds fresh and modernistic. is that your original composition/production?

cheers.

Reactions: Arisushi

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
hey, arisushimake,

hope this finds you well.
the soundtrack you picked as a bed for your novel is quite good, mate — it sounds fresh and modernistic. is that your original composition/production?

cheers.
Glad to hear it worked well with game, but it is not mine :)

It's a free-to-use track called "Contact High" (by RKVC).

I pulled it from the library of free-to-use music I collected over time.

(Unless my memory is messing with me) It was originally from the youtube audio library.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoffeeSaint

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
arisushimake When in doubt, check the tag descriptions at https://f95zone.to/threads/tags-rules-and-list-updated-2021-05-02.10394/ - Specifically, the Kinetic Novel tag is for no choices. If there are choices, even just a few, it's a VN, not a KN. And as for No Sexual Content, see the tag list; if any of the Sexual Content tags will eventually apply, don't use that tag.

Tags should be thought of as positive markers, not negative. Only include a tag if the tag applies to what's currently in game and that tag won't ever change.

Reactions: Arisushi
3.00 star(s) 1 Vote