felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I don't get this "forbidden attraction" thing. Pardon my ignorance but the only reason incest is forbidden/taboo, as far as I know, is the consequences to offspring of two individuals with identical genetical material. So I cannot, by the life of me, understand how a relationship between two completely unrelated people (in any way that matters) is unhealthy or wrong or "forbidden". If anything, compared to Mallory who is a genetic clone of MC's mother, him banging Jaye is the most fucking natural thing in the world.

Agreed on the Tara thing though. Tara is #1. No question about it. More Tara more better. Always.
if you've practically lived with someone for a long time and considered her as your sister, going on to consider her as just a girl is not immediate, at least not for everyone. and evidently for them it was a problem, an attraction to be repressed, on Jaye's part, and to be denied by MC

In my opinion it is much more inexplicable that the two teenagers consider the whole thing resolved by the death of their parents.

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
I don't get this "forbidden attraction" thing. Pardon my ignorance but the only reason incest is forbidden/taboo, as far as I know, is the consequences to offspring of two individuals with identical genetical material. So I cannot, by the life of me, understand how a relationship between two completely unrelated people (in any way that matters) is unhealthy or wrong or "forbidden". If anything, compared to Mallory who is a genetic clone of MC's mother, him banging Jaye is the most fucking natural thing in the world.

Agreed on the Tara thing though. Tara is #1. No question about it. More Tara more better. Always.
Technically, neither Jaye nor Mallory is really "incest" though both situations dance with it. Both relationships make the reader consider, hypothetically, what they would be comfortable with. Could you be intimate with someone you grew up with as siblings, or could you be intimate with someone who is a genetic clone of your mother BUT she is her own woman, she's your age, and has a completely different unique personality and appearance?

It's "No blood relation but she's family" vs "Synthetic Blood Relation and she's not Family"

For me, I'm personally more comfortable with the Mallory situation. I still see Jaye as a sibling character, but Mallory as a more traditional love interest. Mallory and Alex have great chemistry with each other and are falling in love by the time the "clone" revelation came about.

I remember reading a story several years ago in the U.K. about a couple who were married several years and then later found out that they were actually blood siblings. When they found out, they said "fuck it" and didn't let that get in the way of their relationship. On paper, they are incestuous, but they never had a sibling relationship and the love came before the revelation.

If I were in the same situation, I'd say "fuck it" too. If I were to put myself in Alex's shoes, the clone thing would change literally nothing for me.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
the reason is that it cannot be denied that Jaye is the absolute protagonist of the story, so that the story pushes towards her is almost 'acceptable', after all, the driving force of the story is precisely this forbidden attraction between the 2.

Mallory is a new acquaintance, who even leaving aside the fact that she appears at the least opportune moment to make friends with a journalist, has this strange habit of entering the MC's room half-naked, regardless of our choices. she jumps out more.

needless to say who would have been the perfect second or third LI
I, unsurprisingly, disagree. The MC's love for Jaye is at the heart of the story, but it's been 5 years since he ran away to put some distance between them and work out what he really wants. There's no need insist his answer has to be romantic love. The game would have worked far better if we could choose between romantic love, platonic love, and practiced disinterest (maybe with bitter resentment as an optional extra). The fact the game insists the MC go on a romantic date with Jaye even after everyone involved knows there's no romance here speaks volumes.

That's not to say Mallory's path is going swimmingly, of course; I think we all know my opinion about her second foray into the MC's bedroom. But the game at least comprehends the idea that the MC doesn't love Mallory. It can't seem to grasp the idea he doesn't love Jaye even when he forces his way off her path. The closest it comes is the non-standard game over if you try to let her drown and even there it seems like more of a twisted "love gone wrong kind" of thing that destroys the MC as much as Jaye.

As for your girl Tara, logically she should have a larger presence in the game (either as a LI or as a prominent side character); maybe that will still happen when we get back to Boston. But given how much the game is struggling with Jaye and Mallory's paths, I think it's for the better if they leave Tara in the background.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Technically, neither Jaye nor Mallory is really "incest" though both situations dance with it. Both relationships make the reader consider, hypothetically, what they would be comfortable with. Could you be intimate with someone you grew up with as siblings, or could you be intimate with someone who is a genetic clone of your mother BUT she is her own woman, she's your age, and has a completely different unique personality and appearance?

It's "No blood relation but she's family" vs "Synthetic Blood Relation and she's not Family"

For me, I'm personally more comfortable with the Mallory situation. I still see Jaye as a sibling character, but Mallory as a more traditional love interest. Mallory and Alex have great chemistry with each other and are falling in love by the time the "clone" revelation came about.

I remember reading a story several years ago in the U.K. about a couple who were married several years and then later found out that they were actually blood siblings. When they found out, they said "fuck it" and didn't let that get in the way of their relationship. On paper, they are incestuous, but they never had a sibling relationship and the love came before the revelation.

If I were in the same situation, I'd say "fuck it" too. If I were to put myself in Alex's shoes, the clone thing would change literally nothing for me.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The historical reason why the incest taboo exists is not strictly religious, but related to the dangers of inbreeding.

and Mallory from this point of view is a great danger, while for Jaye it is only a social issue, in reality they would end up in every magazine as a 'scandal', but legally they would have no problem

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I, unsurprisingly, disagree. The MC's love for Jaye is at the heart of the story, but it's been 5 years since he ran away to put some distance between them and work out what he really wants. There's no need insist his answer has to be romantic love. The game would have worked far better if we could choose between romantic love, platonic love, and practiced disinterest (maybe with bitter resentment as an optional extra). The fact the game insists the MC go on a romantic date with Jaye even after everyone involved knows there's no romance here speaks volumes.

That's not to say Mallory's path is going swimmingly, of course; I think we all know my opinion about her second foray into the MC's bedroom. But the game at least comprehends the idea that the MC doesn't love Mallory. It can't seem to grasp the idea he doesn't love Jaye even when he forces his way off her path. The closest it comes is the non-standard game over if you try to let her drown and even there it seems like more of a twisted "love gone wrong kind" of thing that destroys the MC as much as Jaye.

As for your girl Tara, logically she should have a larger presence in the game (either as a LI or as a prominent side character); maybe that will still happen when we get back to Boston. But given how much the game is struggling with Jaye and Mallory's paths, I think it's for the better if they leave Tara in the background.
that is an 'economic' problem, the whole chapter hinges on that appointment, so skipping it was impossible, however it is possible to deny yourself once again.

I however find it more understandable that Jaye. who has always been portrayed as an instinctive person, insists even in the face of several denials and not that Mallory walks away offended after accidentally grabbing MC's dick, she's the one who should be embarrassed to death, while she's there suffering because of MC's failure to reciprocate her feelings, it seems pretty absurd to me.

What I agree with you on is that in the recap screens and in general it's quite sad that the relationship with Jaye if not sexual seems compromised in every respect

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
that is an 'economic' problem, the whole chapter hinges on that appointment, so skipping it was impossible, however it is possible to deny yourself once again.
Nonsense. The dinner may be an economic necessity (if they don't want a very short chapter), but making it so obviously romantic was entirely optional. Add some people to the background in a few renders, drop the conversation about the MC's old conquests, make the dialog about the two of them finally hashing out their feelings as siblings, and end with them sleeping in separate beds and the problem goes away. I doubt that would have added even a full week to the production time. The failure is one of imagination, not resources.

I however find it more understandable that Jaye. who has always been portrayed as an instinctive person, insists even in the face of several denials and not that Mallory walks away offended after accidentally grabbing MC's dick, she's the one who should be embarrassed to death, while she's there suffering because of MC's failure to reciprocate her feelings, it seems pretty absurd to me.

What I agree with you on is that in the recap screens and in general it's quite sad that the relationship with Jaye if not sexual seems compromised in every respect
No argument on those. It's frustrating how short the game's attention span gets once sex is off the table.

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
The historical reason why the incest taboo exists is not strictly religious, but related to the dangers of inbreeding.

and Mallory from this point of view is a great danger, while for Jaye it is only a social issue, in reality they would end up in every magazine as a 'scandal', but legally they would have no problem
There are ways for couples to have children without risking birth defects. They would do what any other couple would do when they can't have kids. Adopt.

Then again this is a story set in a world with cloning, genius geneticists, and cures for autism. I'm sure that if Mallory and Alex wanted to get pregnant, Dr. Sophie could find a way to do it safely.

Last edited:

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
I think that anyone that thinks that one LI is pushed over the other should try to play the playthrough when you ruin your relationship with both of them and the hilarity that ensues. I hate to admit that one might be my favorite.

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
I think that anyone that thinks that one LI is pushed over the other should try to play the playthrough when you ruin your relationship with both of them and the hilarity that ensues. I hate to admit that one might be my favorite.
hehe, I was actually wondering about something... I know there is an option to "let" Jaye die on the boat... does she actually drown or someone else saves her? I like her character so I couldn't bring myself to leave her.

Chuck_Bass

Nov 25, 2022
hehe, I was actually wondering about something... I know there is an option to "let" Jaye die on the boat... does she actually drown or someone else saves her? I like her character so I couldn't bring myself to leave her.
Lisa will go after her and she will snitch on you about you letting her drown and game over.

Reactions: Elduriel

WuzzyFuzzy

Jan 23, 2020
Definitely my favorite. But, after hanging out and reading this thread for a while, a dead end. It seems the options will be quite limited in how the story will be channeled. Oh well, nothing to do but cause large amounts of chaos (or at least as much as the game and Save Editor will allow). :sneaky:

Reactions: NewTricks

RNasc4444

Aug 16, 2022
Can you elaborate a little? I truly don't have it in me to hurt Jaye. Even in a "non-canon" playthrough. I wouldn't mind being an absolute asshole with Mallory but Jaye?...Nah can't do it.

• Red Heart
Reactions: verzauberung

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
If you want to keep ruining your relationship with Jaye she needs to be, you know, alive. So in that choice, it behooves you to use the scream for help option rather than the "smell you later sis" option. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: However, if you have been doing sufficient ruining even jumping in to save her isn't enough to get you into the pillow fort. But that opens a different path that I won't spoil.

• Haha
Reactions: felicemastronzo

NebulousShooter

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 24, 2018
If you want to keep ruining your relationship with Jaye she needs to be, you know, alive. So in that choice, it behooves you to use the scream for help option rather than the "smell you later sis" option. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: However, if you have been doing sufficient ruining even jumping in to save her isn't enough to get you into the pillow fort. But that opens a different path that I won't spoil.
Now I'm curious, I was under the impression you have the option to jump greyed out, and you can only scream for help, or feed the sharks. :unsure:

4.60 star(s) 315 Votes