VN Ren'Py Color of My Sound [Ch.2 Final v7] [Gallant Trombe]

4.30 star(s) 68 Votes

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
The more realistic the art, the better I like it! THAT is why I love the art in Color of my Sound. It is very close to photorealistic. Why you would want to take Gallant Trombe's absolutely perfect art and turn it into anime trash is totally beyond my comprehension. Those bug eyed, cartoonish, fake, caricatures are an insult to the ultra high quality of this title.

You are free to disagree but you will NOT change my mind. You are ruining the beautiful illusion of realism that Gallant Trombe worked brilliantly to achieve. These should be posted in a fan art forum because they do not belong here. These images shatter my immersion. (n)
Whoa, whoa. Calm yourself my man. There was no suggestion that the art should be changed. I got some interesting results from messing around with a new tool and thought that some would be entertained by the results. No need to get upset.

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Whoa, whoa. Calm yourself my man. There was no suggestion that the art should be changed. I got some interesting results from messing around with a new tool and thought that some would be entertained by the results. No need to get upset.
Oh? That was not upset... But, I pass on anime titles as a general rule for good reason. There are specific threads for "fan art." As anime goes, yours is certainly not the worst. At least you didn't turn her into a 12 year old girl like much of what I see and immediately pass by at top speed. Yet, it is still anime and has that goofy, pie-eyed appearance that makes me ill to view. This is NOT an anime title nor should it ever be. Find or start a fan art thread for this kind of post. Gallant Trombe's work is photorealistic genius. It is NOT a cartoon!

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
I've been playing with Stable Diffusion Img2Img (and not working on the Codex Screens, sorry Gallant Trombe :ROFLMAO:) using the BEST GIRL MIRI :love: as my subject of choice.

This ML stuff is incredible. :oops::oops::illuminati:. (Original -> generated from orig -> generated from "generated from orig")
I share your excitement about this, osanaiko. The software isn't quite there yet (and honestly might not be there for a long time to come), but I can see a possible future where VN creators will use AI to generate images on the fly based on supplied parameters and reference images. If that promise pans out, it could make creating VNs (or any other type of video game) so much easier and less laborious. I tend to think of the writing as being the most important part of any VN, but in practice devs have to spend much more time on graphics than the writing or the coding because of the limitations of current technology.

Gallant Trombe is an amazing artist and uses the tools at his disposal incredibly well. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the last person to actually use something like this for Color of My Sound or a future game because he wouldn't want to feel like he was surrendering any part of the creative process to an algorithm. But just think of the VN you played that had the worst graphics you've ever seen -- no need to name names. You know how much time was went into creating those terrible images across every step of the process from asset selection to posing to rendering? Tons of it...hours and hours. Any tool that could potentially allow creators to make images that look better and save time creating them would be a good thing in my view.

Let me give a real life example of this type of technology at work. A while back, I joined an online group which had a hard requirement for every user to use a real photo of themselves as their profile image. I thought this was a totally unreasonable demand given the group's purpose so I decided the only thing to do was FIGHT THE POWER. I used to generate a photo for me. Basically, I just went to the website and kept hitting refresh until I found an image I liked (funnily enough, I ended up going with a photo that sorta looks like the real me, but not quite a dead ringer). That site generates new photos on the fly based on millions of photos of real people. If we could not only generate images of people but could also easily change their facial expressions, position their bodies, change their clothing, show them naked, etc without it looking weird we'd be well on our way to changing how video game graphics are made.

This is getting way off-topic, but basically I just wanted to say thanks for sharing the images of Miri! Plus, if we can't speculate about the future in science fiction game threads, where exactly is it safe to do so?!

Last edited:

Vaftrudner

May 19, 2022
Mega upload links doesnt work, or rather the file isnt there.
Uploader seem to have been banned or something.

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
I was thinking today about how most harem VNs require you to suspend your disbelief in two major areas just in order for the story to work. First, it always ends up being a little too easy to recruit new lovers to the relationship. In real life, there'd likely be lots of discussion and at least a few arguments before even a third person could be let in the door, and the haremmonger would need to have those same spirited confabs with both parties. You'd have to go through the same process for all future additions as well. A fair amount of peril would be involved each time and one wrong move at any point could easily leave you utterly forsaken and alone. I can just imagine how well it would have gone over if I'd ever broached the idea of a harem to any of my previous girlfriends. "Honey, did you know many couples are exploring polyamory these days? How would you feel if we broadened our relationship out a little so as to include your little sister, your best friend, three of my college mates, my gym instructor, and this one lady who works with my mom? ...why are you looking at me like that? PLEASE PUT THE KNIFE DOWN."

Once you lay down that difficult groundwork for the harem, I wouldn't expect things to go quite as smoothly as most harem VNs depict either. Human beings naturally get jealous. Maybe girl #3 can mentally accept that you and girl #7 are perfectly entitled to have some quality alone time this week given the knowledge that she'll get her own bite at the apple eventually, but emotionally that'd be anything but easy. I feel like other negative emotions would inevitably spring up when you have that many people crammed into one relationship as well. There'd surely be bickering and drama in spades. The occasional catfight -- sometimes involving actual incompatible cats who belong to different harem members -- would be inevitable. Also, a harem wouldn't be immune to the same issues regular couples go through all the time. It can be hard enough to make the time needed to keep just one person from feeling lonely and neglected...imagine how inhumanly good you'd have to be at scheduling when you are everything to 8 or 15 other people.

One thing I really like about Color of My Sound so far is the way it adroitly avoids both of those issues I just pointed out. I feel like we're still a really long way before any character will fall in love with the MC and would want to formally enter a relationship with him. Even when that does happen, we'll probably be wondering all the while if she's really sincere or just playing the MC. The story works so well because all the characters can be interested in the MC for reasons that are not necessarily romantic at all even if sex might be involved in the relationship. For some of them, he's likely their assigned mission, and their personal feelings whether positive or negative are something they have to put aside in order to get the job done. In the long run, those feelings will surely start to matter more -- the game does have the romance tag, after all -- but I can't even imagine most of the characters telling the MC they love him any time soon. If Safiya were to say it, it'd definitely be brown trousers time for me. Here's hoping that Gallant Trombe will be able to continue to avoid the typical harem tropes and keep telling us one of the most unique stories you'll ever find on this site!

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
Flash poll/discussion time: is Blume an AI or a person? The time for fence-sitting is over. State your views for the record so we can mock them mercilessly later on (we won't actually do that).

Personally, I've always had the feeling that Blume is a person pretending to be an AI rather than an actual AI. That's mostly just a gut feeling, but I thought there was at least one hint in the game that supports this conclusion (or it could just be my bad memory and vivid imagination joining forces to make mountains out of anthills). This issue is actually what I'm going to focus on in my next playthrough so I'll talk more about the possible hint later on if it turns out I didn't just imagine it.

SpyderArachnid

Jul 31, 2017
Flash poll/discussion time: is Blume an AI or a person? The time for fence-sitting is over. State your views for the record so we can mock them mercilessly later on (we won't actually do that).

Personally, I've always had the feeling that Blume is a person pretending to be an AI rather than an actual AI. That's mostly just a gut feeling, but I thought there was at least one hint in the game that supports this conclusion (or it could just be my bad memory and vivid imagination joining forces to make mountains out of anthills). This issue is actually what I'm going to focus on in my next playthrough so I'll talk more about the possible hint later on if it turns out I didn't just imagine it.
Hate to squash the debate before it begins, but Blume is a real person. They say so themselves. Sorry lol.
screenshot0001.png screenshot0002.png

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
Hate to squash the debate before it begins, but Blume is a real person. They say so themselves. Sorry lol.
Dramatic screenshots FTW! Nice job. At the very least, we can see that Blume considers Blume to be a very real person. That would be plenty good enough for Descartes so why not us?

I might have misinterpreted or put too much weight on the "but I'm also no one" line in that exchange.

Bagley

Jan 22, 2018

Maybe you are both right... sort of. Blume was a real person, but something happened to them (on the Day of Infamy?) and all that's left now is an AI made up of their personality and memories, they just haven't realised. Um, that was kind of dark and sad, I worry about my thought process sometimes!

But that's what I love about Color Of My Sound, we don't know anything about any of the characters really despite what they've said, so we can just speculate, that's the sign of a good story. I'm sure we will all be surprised when the story finally ends and Gallant Trombe has been steering us down the wrong path and messing with our assumptions the whole time!

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
> That would be plenty good enough for Descartes so why not us?

Welcome to F95, come for the boobies, stay for the casual discussions of the nature of reality and self determination in the face of a burgeoning artificial intelligence revolution.

Last edited:
4.30 star(s) 68 Votes