[R> Other] Share Unpaid (Completed) - looking for Project Manager and potential team builder to get started from scratch.

RustyXXL

Nov 2, 2017
Edit: Please read the small update in the seperate post for up to date information.

General/About me
- I am 40+ now, and I always wanted to get started making my own games. However I got pretty bad ADHD, which I only learned relatively recently, and I struggled pretty hard with my life in general, and especially with anything to do with planning/organizing/structuring and not getting totally sidetracked.
In the last years I learned a lot about myself, How to handle my adhd and where my limits are.
Now I am at a point in my life, where I want to start another serious attempt to get into game development.
For that, however I am looking for a partner in crime who wants to work together with me to get this of the ground.
My talents lie mostly with coding and creativity.
While I never officially learned anything in this direction, I always had computers, starting back in the days with a C64 etc.
I am very good at figuring things out, analyzing problems or getting behind how things work.
I started back pre 2000 with hexediting savegames, the modding scene was always something that I felt very close to.
I always was someone who fiddled around with stuff, not just accepting that they work, but wanting to know how they work.
I also have some pretty good Ideas of what I want to see in a game. My problem isn't having the ideas, but sorting them and not getting carried away with my ideas.
Feature creep is a very real danger for me. ;)

Here are some of my files:

And here are some mods I made it into the credits:

I did a lot more stuff for a lot of games, especially behind the scenes, but most of the times I asked to not be credited. Something I usually don't like is interacting with users, giving support etc. I am happy if things work and people don't need to know my name. ;)
I hope I didn't bore you with all this stuff, what I was trying to say with all of this is, that I'm not another random guy with random Ideas.
I know my stuff, I can do a lot of things, I just usually don't go public with it, and I am very bad at planning things.

About You:
- Apart from the rest mentioned in this thread, you should be somewhat reliable. I want at least somewhat regular contacts. You should understand that it may take a good while until we can make money and there will be a good amount of work we will have to spent before that. While I won't set a certain agellimit I still expect a certain maturity when working together, though I am still someone who wants nd needs fun while working.
As the plan is to work together for a long time a certain open-ness and honesty should be a given.

Project:
- I know this might sound bad to a lot of you, but there isn't a whole lot fixed yet. However there are certain things I definitely want. a classic turn based RPG system, potentially with some tactical influences like the classic xcom and or ff tactics. Base building in some form and preferably a high customizability of the mc. In general I like corruption/exhibition/mind control mechanics in games, so those things have a high probability for me to.
That's why I am looking for you, to help me get my ADHD-Brain sorted out and get a real plan and perspective and see what additional Talent might or might not be required, if we build a team if and how we monetize it down the road etc.

One thing I am pretty decided on is using unity as a basis. I definitely want a good solid engine underneath everything, and I am not the biggest fan of renpy and/or rpgm. I also tried both of them and I find neither of them very inspiring to work in.

Languages/Timezone:
- I am german, so that's my primary language. However I've been consuming media pretty much exclusively in english for over 20 Years now, so I am pretty good in understanding english. However my active english is a bit dodgy, especially when I have to speak english, so you'll have to put up with that.
I will mostly be available for chats and able to work on our project in the evenings Central European time, however I tend to be up pretty late, often to 1 or 2 am before going to sleep.

Developer:
- Currently only me and no websites etc yet, where I would probably more of the creative lead/programmer.

Looking for:
- For starters I need someone to help me with project management and getting started. In the long term additional talent either via freelance or as part of a team will most likely be needed such as a writer, 2d/3d artists, possibly voice and sfx work and marketing/social media. So if you have talent in any of these fields this certainly would be helpfull.

Employment Type:
- While I am willing to invest some amount of my private money into getting this started, I'd preferr to invest my money in required software/assets, so for starters it will be unpaid, until we worked more stuff out. After that it'll be either paid or a share, which we will to have determine once this project gets to a point of making money.

Work commitment:
- As I'm already working full time currently I can only work part time myself, So I won't expect you to work full time, unless we can get to a point where this will get profitable enough.
- Long term, possibly follow up projects etc.

Preferred method of contact:
- Discord: RustyXXL#1450 or via pm. I'd prefer to not using this thread to get in contact with me. I'm usually invisible, so don't be disouraged if you don't see me online in Discord. Just msg me and I'll get to you as soon as I see it :)

Job Description:
- I think I have given a lot of points already, but Project manager and team builder would probably be the best descriptions I can give. And I think we can work the rest out from there.

Last edited:

RustyXXL

Nov 2, 2017
Small update:
I had a very nice chat with someone interested yesterday, which seemed to go rather well, from the first chat I could very well imagine this to be an option.
I also had someone else write me, and we'll see if we find the time to talk.

We were already bouncing some Ideas around yesterday and seemed to have very similar ideas etc and could agree on a bunch of things.

I would like to keep this open for a little while (a week or two, until we had a chance to work out some more stuff), but don't be surprised if I tell you that we already have someone for projectmanagement and writing.

For the Future we'll most likely need at least a (preferably native english speaking) translator from german to english and especially someone for the art, though we haven't really talked about artstyle, 2d/3d etc. yet. But artwork and ui-design probably are in that constellation by far our weekest point. Additionally I would love to have a "sound guy", but all of this is a good part in the future atm, so see this more as an update than a request etc...however always feel free to contact me for more information etc.

Otherwise we will give you more information as soon as we worked out more details, though for starters we could already nail down some points we both would like to see/work on.

RustyXXL

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty passionate for this, and as I said before, this is something I am pretty certain I want to do. And I want to be good at it. It's also important to not just do some game, but to do something I can stand behind and feel good about.
This is not exclusive to this, it's a general thing I trained myself.
My life certainly would be a lot easier without this attitude, but I'm sure it would also be a lot more boring. ;)
And yes, it is a big project, I am aware of that and I think so is my partner in crime I was talking with. And if someone came to me with this thread my first impulse would be to ask "dude, why not make something smaller first?" (and I indeed got asked that question, rightfully so).
Which is usually the right advise to give.
But in short the answer is, I have a pretty good Idea what I'm getting myself into and I am certain that with some help in planning etc I am up for it.
And luckily I am in a Situation where my livelyhood doesn't depend on this. I have a dayjob, that might not make me rich, but my finances are secure enough, so I can afford the luxury of doing this for the experience and for doing the thing I want to do. :)
Apart from that, we are in the process of realing it in and refining everything, and most likely not everything I might want in the beginning will make it in the game, or maybe it will change it's shape.
As I said, we already started honing in more and working on the concept, but I don't want to get ahead of ourselfes. We'll post something once we are ready to talk about it. ;)
However, I've read your thread, and I would really like to get talking to you. We'll see if/what we can work out, but I'm sure we'll have at least an interesting chat. Feel free to either contact me via Discord or drop me a pm.
Anyways I think I'm starting to ramble on again...^^

All:
While it wasn't overwhelming (which was to be expected by the nature of this thread), the responses still were nice, and I had a few nice chats the last few days, and met a few nice people at least.
I just wanted to say thanks for that, and we'll keep you posted, one way or another. :)

Reactions: Dratura

Dratura

Sep 10, 2018
Yeah, I'm pretty passionate for this, and as I said before, this is something I am pretty certain I want to do. And I want to be good at it. It's also important to not just do some game, but to do something I can stand behind and feel good about.
This is not exclusive to this, it's a general thing I trained myself.
My life certainly would be a lot easier without this attitude, but I'm sure it would also be a lot more boring. ;)
It is super pleasant to read that I might finally have found someone like-minded.

However, I've read your thread, and I would really like to get talking to you. We'll see if/what we can work out, but I'm sure we'll have at least an interesting chat. Feel free to either contact me via Discord or drop me a pm.
Anyways I think I'm starting to ramble on again...^^
I'll drop you a message in a couple of days as I will be on a short vacation.