VN Ren'Py Corporate Culture [v0.7] [sqwl]

4.30 star(s) 160 Votes

El Pene Del Diablo

Oct 16, 2022
Can someone explain what I'm missing? I've heard great things about this game and I've made it to the point where Edward gets a big office. But I'm not seeing why I should continue aside from "it's got good reviews." Admittedly, it just might not be a game for me. But what do people like about the game?
  • Edward has no redeeming qualities. And he goes downhill from there. As I said, I'm at the point where he gets a promotion. And I don't care because he really didn't earn it. Elsa engineered it.
  • Elsa is going to fuck him over in the end. She's told him many times he can't trust anyone. I'm sure her motivation will be a stunning reveal, if I make it that far. Elsa is apparently a 22 year old woman playing 3D chess against seasoned corporate bigwigs playing checkers and she happens to know the owner of an American Oil Company? WTF? Why am I supposed to accept this before "getting to the good part." At least she's named after an ice queen.
  • Annie is pretty. If she ever does fall for Edward, I can't see it making any sense at all. And I'm not sure why I should care. She's snobby and unaware of how real life works for real people, like the daughter of Lord "should" be.
  • Tommy is almost the most normal person in the story. Tommy.
  • Lucy shouldn't just stop talking to Edward. She should move away when Edward starts "downsizing" his furniture. Because obviously he's just a step or two away from a serial killer at that point.
  • I expected Zoe (and her friend) to not disappear after a little ways into the story.
  • Emma is a caricature. Maybe there's more interesting stuff to come from her. But again, why am I going to keep going to find out?

• People talk about the story telling but... There's a lot of info dumps that are long sequences of hitting space bar for twenty minutes. Some of the silent story telling is interesting, but even those sequences last too long.
  • There aren't a lot of decisions to be make and too many of them seem like they don't do anything (you scroll back and there a few pieces of dialog that differ before it converges again). Maybe they do stuff under they hood, but that's not visible to the player and if there are under the hood matters, they have no visibility to the player.
So what am I missing?
Oh, and who's the woman on the right in the game's splash page? The Browns are on the left. Edward and Elsa are in the middle. No idea who the one on the right is supposed to be.
I think your evaluation is pretty valid.
In short: I think the author has just never told a story before. He had an idea and just ran with it to try and make some money.

yes, MC is a loser. you tried to be nice about it but lets be real.
Elsa: spot on, she's just using you.
I cant stand the neighbor. she's the girl your friends were talking about when they told you not to stick your dick in crazy.
the obsession with Alice is really creepy.

I enjoyed most of the story so far, but that doesnt mean I thought it was 'good'.

to answer your question: my interest now is just wanting to see if he manages to salvage it, I get the feeling he's out of ideas and just going to churn until it gets the DOA tag. I could be wrong, but we'll see.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
yes, MC is a loser. you tried to be nice about it but lets be real.
WHAT

Edward a loser?!?!?

A LOSER ?!?!?

He's got a degree and he starts the game as a data analyst for the most important British oil company - therefore: one of most important companies in the world - and Zoe and Lucy are clearly interested in him... and he is a L O O O S E R ?!?!?!?!?!?

WTF dude.

yossa999

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2020
WHAT

Edward a loser?!?!?

A LOSER ?!?!?

He's got a degree and he starts the game as a data analyst for the most important British oil company - therefore: one of most important companies in the world - and Zoe and Lucy are clearly interested in him... and he is a L O O O S E R ?!?!?!?!?!?

WTF dude.
How long is his schlong?
How long will it take him to pick up and lay down a stranger chick?
How many chicks has he bonked?
How many dudes has he cucked?
How dirty the sex scenes are?
His body count compared to Fuckface on DIK route?

You see, a total looser :Kappa:

S.A.R.C.A.S.M.

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
Can someone explain what I'm missing? I've heard great things about this game and I've made it to the point where Edward gets a big office. But I'm not seeing why I should continue aside from "it's got good reviews." Admittedly, it just might not be a game for me. But what do people like about the game?
  • Edward has no redeeming qualities. And he goes downhill from there. As I said, I'm at the point where he gets a promotion. And I don't care because he really didn't earn it. Elsa engineered it.
  • Elsa is going to fuck him over in the end. She's told him many times he can't trust anyone. I'm sure her motivation will be a stunning reveal, if I make it that far. Elsa is apparently a 22 year old woman playing 3D chess against seasoned corporate bigwigs playing checkers and she happens to know the owner of an American Oil Company? WTF? Why am I supposed to accept this before "getting to the good part." At least she's named after an ice queen.
  • Annie is pretty. If she ever does fall for Edward, I can't see it making any sense at all. And I'm not sure why I should care. She's snobby and unaware of how real life works for real people, like the daughter of Lord "should" be.
  • Tommy is almost the most normal person in the story. Tommy.
  • Lucy shouldn't just stop talking to Edward. She should move away when Edward starts "downsizing" his furniture. Because obviously he's just a step or two away from a serial killer at that point.
  • I expected Zoe (and her friend) to not disappear after a little ways into the story.
  • Emma is a caricature. Maybe there's more interesting stuff to come from her. But again, why am I going to keep going to find out?

• People talk about the story telling but... There's a lot of info dumps that are long sequences of hitting space bar for twenty minutes. Some of the silent story telling is interesting, but even those sequences last too long.
  • There aren't a lot of decisions to be make and too many of them seem like they don't do anything (you scroll back and there a few pieces of dialog that differ before it converges again). Maybe they do stuff under they hood, but that's not visible to the player and if there are under the hood matters, they have no visibility to the player.
So what am I missing?
Oh, and who's the woman on the right in the game's splash page? The Browns are on the left. Edward and Elsa are in the middle. No idea who the one on the right is supposed to be.
Sounds like the game isnt for you. Honestly this game is barley for me as well but I am sticking around for the journey, as im curious how everything is going to play out more than anything in this game. As up to now as far as I can recall there hasn't been any real relationship building with anyone. Maybe a few times with Alice but not much and any attempts at that from Elsa has been shot down by her since she has no interest. Tho I am still hoping for a Elsa ending over Alice cause at the end of the day even if some dont trust her, she's been there for the MC and well I do think they make a good couple if Elsa would open up and try.

MagicShoppe

Jan 6, 2024
Elsa: spot on, she's just using you.
One high point is when "Ego" says this. But Edward doesn't listen to his Ego much.

to answer your question: my interest now is just wanting to see if he manages to salvage it, I get the feeling he's out of ideas and just going to churn until it gets the DOA tag. I could be wrong, but we'll see.
So, kind of a traffic rubbernecking delay kind of thing? Valid.

Thanks for posting.

This novel speaks to me to a personal level. Apparently that's not the case for you. It's ok, not everyone is moved by the same things
Great to hear. Thanks for posting.

Jacowboy

Aug 8, 2022
Please name one redeeming quality he has. Loyalty, perhaps. But it's often misplaced and misapplied.

Do his redeeming qualities rise above the fact that he's basically a stalker?
Also, and btw, even IF the MC was as bad as you (or others) said, honestly that shouldn't matter at all unless you're one of those weirdos who self-insert.

In the end, the MC can be good or bad but it doesn't matter as long as they're interesting and the rest of the characters and story are interesting... Gonna be honest with you, I don't personally like most MCs, but I'm not really trying to self-insert, so I don't care as long as the game is good.

Reactions: rudy007

rudy007

Engaged Member
Mar 17, 2021
Also, and btw, even IF the MC was as bad as you (or others) said, honestly that shouldn't matter at all unless you're one of those weirdos who self-insert.

In the end, the MC can be good or bad but it doesn't matter as long as they're interesting and the rest of the characters and story are interesting... Gonna be honest with you, I don't personally like most MCs, but I'm not really trying to self-insert, so I don't care as long as the game is good.
That's the main problem. When you start a game, MC is as him developer has imagined... His traits or values are as developer imagined it... point...
And then everything you choose is your decision... In predefined borders. Devs will try to have as few endings as possible.
If you don't like MC and/or the game, stop playing, delete the game. Search next game. It's wrong to think than developer will change MC/game. Devs game is written around his MC...

Last edited:

El Pene Del Diablo

Oct 16, 2022
That's the main problem. When you start a game, MC is as him developer has imagined... His treads or value are as developer imagined it... point...
And then everything you choose is your decision... In predefined borders. Devs will try to have as few endings as possible.
If you don't like MC and/or the game, stop playing, delete the game. Search next game. It's wrong to think than developer will change MC/game. Devs game is written around his MC...
I didnt say I disliked, nor did I ask for changes.
a lot of my critique was opinion. as for the MCs nature that was not, he's just as beta as it gets.

as I said, I want to see how he tries to turn it around, I just dont have much hope it will work:
I could be wrong, but we'll see.

Reactions: Ass~God and rudy007

rudy007

Engaged Member
Mar 17, 2021
I didnt say I disliked, nor did I ask for changes.
a lot of my critique was opinion. as for the MCs nature that was not, he's just as beta as it gets.

as I said, I want to see how he tries to turn it around, I just dont have much hope it will work:
I didn't think of you, even if that's look like it. I wrote it in general. I have nothing against you or anybody who come on any game's thread and say anything about, good or bad. When he say it normally, culturally. But there are people who doesn't know what culture means nor can spell it. But they instead of going away, they stay and talking bad about game, MC, developer...
So, sorry, I wasn't thinking about you specifically.
Everybody who has a question or simple want to speak about this game is welcome on this or any other thread...

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
Or I'm one of THOSE WEIRDOS who don't read stories where the MC is useless and completely uninteresting piece of shit. But then. That's probably what makes someone one of THOSE WEIRDOS.
Sometimes I wish I could think critically about a MC like that but also glad I dont either. I think it's easier to enjoy these games if you disconnect from a MC almost entirely tbh. not there is anything wrong with how you read them. I just find by being almost entirely disconnect from a MC I almost never think about if this mc is good, is it creep or perv, a piecie of shit etc etc unless he does something that stands out to me. Since im playing the game as a player more often than not so easy for me to not think about those things.

MagicShoppe

Jan 6, 2024
It has nothing to do with connecting or disconnecting. It has to do with not giving a shit. If you want to tell me a story about someone and I don't give a shit if they live or die, the story is pointless. The MC has to have enough there that I care that they exist or not. It's not sympathy or empathy or that remind me of me. It's why the fuck do I even care? Without that, why bother spending the time?

Reactions: Ass~God

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with connecting or disconnecting. It has to do with not giving a shit. If you want to tell me a story about someone and I don't give a shit if they live or die, the story is pointless. The MC has to have enough there that I care that they exist or not. It's not sympathy or empathy or that remind me of me. It's why the fuck do I even care? Without that, why bother spending the time?
lol you missed the entire point of my reply. I said I could tell how you are able to think critically about the MC in your own words not giving a shit. The disconnecting thing was me sharing my own perspective on how I'm able to play games and enjoy them. Since the things you have an issue with that makes you not care about a MC has never crossed my mind once due to the way I play these games. Hell I even said sometimes I wish I could think about a MC like you do since my lack of thinking about a MC like that , sometimes I have a hard time understanding why someone may dislike a MC or a game because of the MC.

MagicShoppe

Jan 6, 2024
lol you missed the entire point of my reply. I said I could tell how you are able to think critically about the MC in your own words not giving a shit. The disconnecting thing was me sharing my own perspective on how I'm able to play games and enjoy them. Since the things you have an issue with that makes you not care about a MC has never crossed my mind once due to the way I play these games. Hell I even said sometimes I wish I could think about a MC like you do since my lack of thinking about a MC like that , sometimes I have a hard time understanding why someone may dislike a MC or a game because of the MC.
Ah. I see. Then by your definition I can't disconnect like you do because I can't enjoy any media where I don't care about some of the characters.

Reactions: Ass~God

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
If I don't like a MC I stop playing the game. But I can relate to this one, he's smart but he's suffering from depression and find no meaning in life in this corporate world. I would like an Elsa in my life too :cry:

Jacowboy

Aug 8, 2022
Or I'm one of THOSE WEIRDOS who don't read stories where the MC is useless and completely uninteresting piece of shit. But then. That's probably what makes someone one of THOSE WEIRDOS.
Well you're definitely one of THOSE WEIRDOS that love quoting people in a very dishonest way... at least quote the whole thing, since like I said just after that part: "in the end, the MC can be good or bad but it doesn't matter as long as they're interesting and the rest of the characters and story are interesting"... and if YOU don't find the MC interesting, well then that's fair enough, but what the fuck are you even doing here? This game is clearly not for you... :unsure:

For example, I don't like the MC, but I find him interesting enough as a character to want to know where the story is going... but if you don't, fine... go play something else. See? Easy.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
You want a cold-hearted person who pretends to have you best interest at heart but will stab you in the back if her needs change?
You see her in a negative way, but I see her in a positive way. She motivates him and try to get the better of him. She may look cold-hearted but I think she has his best interests at heart. Some people need a kick in the ass to motivate themselves and get out of the gutter.

4.30 star(s) 160 Votes