Unobtainium

Nov 4, 2021
Hotaru > Sober Miyuki > I don't really have strong feelings about the rest.
Long black hair and red eyes are the absolute peak.

It's weird with how much tobs writes for the foxes that there is literally 0 interaction with the pc and the 3 other named children you have.

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
Wait, I literally just realized that Mai’s real name is Miyuki.

I am… not sure that’s the kind of nickname Japanese people would use? Like, it’s just a completely different name. It doesn’t even sound similar, besides the initial M. (It’s like if a an American guy named “Jonathan” had the nickname “Scott” or something.)

I think a more typical nickname would be Mii-chan or maybe Miyu-chan—though I’m less convinced, because just “Miyu” is also a different, real name—but even then, I believe that in Japanese culture nicknames are almost exclusively for family and childhood friends; you have to be pretty damn close to someone for them to even let you call them by their given name, instead of their surname or a title. I can get why a game like this would simplify things a bit and just refer to everyone by their given name, but using nicknames American-style like this does go against that “glorious Nippon steel” vibe Tobs is going for LOL.

Side-note: the Japanese had a culture of name-swapping—that is to say, changing one’s name upon hitting certain milestones in life (becoming an adult, starting a new career, receiving a title, etc.)—but in that case Miyuki would just go by “Mai”—she wouldn’t do any of that American “My name is John Fergusson, but you can call me Scotty *wink*.” (Also, as far as I know, people who did this generally preserved one element of their old name in their new one; so upon becoming a priestess, for instance, Miyuki might swap her name to “Misora”, or “Yukiko”; but “Mai” is kind of random.

Noone202

Jan 18, 2020
Wait, I literally just realized that Mai’s real name is Miyuki.

I am… not sure that’s the kind of nickname Japanese people would use? Like, it’s just a completely different name. It doesn’t even sound similar, besides the initial M. (It’s like if a an American guy named “Jonathan” had the nickname “Scott” or something.)

I think a more typical nickname would be Mii-chan or maybe Miyu-chan—though I’m less convinced, because just “Miyu” is also a different, real name—but even then, I believe that in Japanese culture nicknames are almost exclusively for family and childhood friends; you have to be pretty damn close to someone for them to even let you call them by their given name, instead of their surname or a title. I can get why a game like this would simplify things a bit and just refer to everyone by their given name, but using nicknames American-style like this does go against that “glorious Nippon steel” vibe Tobs is going for LOL.

Side-note: the Japanese had a culture of name-swapping—that is to say, changing one’s name upon hitting certain milestones in life (becoming an adult, starting a new career, receiving a title, etc.)—but in that case Miyuki would just go by “Mai”—she wouldn’t do any of that American “My name is John Fergusson, but you can call me Scotty *wink*.” (Also, as far as I know, people who did this generally preserved one element of their old name in their new one; so upon becoming a priestess, for instance, Miyuki might swap her name to “Misora”, or “Yukiko”; but “Mai” is kind of random.
No, no that is definitely not how you nickname Miyuki.
I can see Mai for "Maya" but Miyuki is "Miyu" or "Yuki"

Even if he does use the ancient case of taking the first kanji and last one that still did not adds up (because the kanji for Mai and Mi is quite different, iirc)

You know who would do that? The Russian. Nicholas become Kolya, etc.

Unless of course Tobs said "haha, I am as old as Heian Kyoto!" and used the very ancient naming style of "Ushiwaka" to "Yoshitsune"

AnonZeta

Jun 30, 2021
I am surprised that Tetsuya seems to mostly be ignored when talking about the Kitsunes, is it because he was written by Jstar and not by the usual suspects?

Noone202

Jan 18, 2020
*see new update*

Ah, preg Kohaku. And one time only.
That checks out the Tobs list of *I'll tease you with one time event only because you guys did not worship my shadow when I make it repeatable. Pray I did not change it further you morons*

At last, a shiny glass in between piles of Tobs shit

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
No, no that is definitely not how you nickname Miyuki.
I can see Mai for "Maya" but Miyuki is "Miyu" or "Yuki"
Even then, Japanese nicknames respect syllable boundaries with regards to clipping. So while Mai might seem like an OK clipping of Maya to an American, to a Japanese it’s Ma-ya, and both ma and ya are indivisible. (Likewise, to a Japanese, the name “Mai” can be split into Ma-i, with two “syllables”, unlike the English pronunciation.) The expected nickname here would be Maa-chan.

You know who would do that? The Russian. Nicholas become Kolya, etc.
There’s still some logic to it there, though: Russian diminutives are generally made by taking the accented syllable in a name and adding a diminutive suffix. For example “Sasha” takes the sa from a-lik-SA-ndr and adds -sha. There’s nothing linking “Mai” and “Miyuki” besides the fact that they incidentally both start with M.

Very good news gentlemen
1686452996525.png
Of fucking course it’s a onetime event for no fucking reason LMAO.

Skandranon

Nov 28, 2016
Yeah, I suspected this was happening, there was way more chatter about it than usual for the last little while.

Ok
I was wrong BIG TIME but why does it have to be a one-time event....
AND written by tobs fml
Well, Tobs wrote Kohaku in the first place, so who else?

ANYWAY

Finally, Mayternity is over...felt like way longer than a month....

Now the two week wait until the possibility of something interesting happening again.

Skandranon

Nov 28, 2016
I am surprised that Tetsuya seems to mostly be ignored when talking about the Kitsunes, is it because he was written by Jstar and not by the usual suspects?
Well, for one, he's still relatively new. Notice that Hotaru also hasn't gotten many mentions.

And secondly...he's a dude.

There are only a handful of posters here, you'll notice, who ever talk about dudes at all.

Jan 18, 2018
Pixeldrain: /
Steam beta key (May-June 2023):EAoqxGqBg5wYEfnt0s4O
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
0.6.10 Patch Notes:
  • You can now knock up Kohaku! This is a one-time event. (By TheObserver)
  • While Kohaku is pregnant, you can decide to bring her lots of delicious food (or not).
  • There’s a variety of new and modified interactions after the fact.
  • All Kohaku’s old scenes have been updated to account for pregnancy stage (or post) and history with delicious food.
  • All den denizens have had their talks updated.
  • A bunch of new Kohaku scenes.
  • For no reason whatsoever, while Kohaku is pregnant the catfolk merchant in Khor’minos goes on vacation.
  • New CGs: Two new ones supporting Preg Kohaku.
  • New Busts: Yusra and the Wyld Tree from FungusQuest.
kohakuHungry.png

2.90 star(s) 107 Votes