TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
I will point this out as well, that there is more than just the UK and Great Britain which speak British English. There are a lot of Commonwealth nations. Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, India (largest population on the planet), etc. which all speak British English. As an American - I can also take your point that it being British English vs American English, just not the quantity of native speakers.
Canadians speak Canadian English it's a distinct dialect, just like Australian English. The King doesn't get to claim the kids in this dispute. :p

shitass1001

Jun 8, 2021
Canadians speak Canadian English it's a distinct dialect, just like Australian English. The King doesn't get to claim the kids in this dispute. :p
Canadian here, our English is a weird incest baby between British English, American English, and a little bit of French. I would spell it 'cosy' here in Canada though

Reactions: TigerWolfe

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
LOL
come on guys, we all know that the so called "British English" is just the purest way for spellings and etc
and lets just ignore slangs so we dont take in POSH version.

but British English will take in American words when its something was newly created by American in first place unless its something that contradicts the rule of English language.
Basically Daniel Webster, took the Oxford English dictionary, and dropped the superfluous "U" from words (colour = color) and changed "s" to "z" (organise = organize) on some words .. there may have been some drops or adding of "E".

DougsLeftNut

Nov 13, 2017
LOL
come on guys, we all know that the so called "British English" is just the purest way for spellings and etc
and lets just ignore slangs so we dont take in POSH version.

but British English will take in American words when its something was newly created by American in first place unless its something that contradicts the rule of English language.
It was already polluted by the rule of French nobility and then changed more when the upper class started speaking with the posh accent to distinguish themselves from the nouveau rich. English has always been a Frankenstein's monster of a language.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Basically Daniel Webster, took the Oxford English dictionary, and dropped the superfluous "U" from words (colour = color) and changed "s" to "z" (organise = organize) on some words .. there may have been some drops or adding of "E".
That is one of the biggest pivot points yeah. It was a deliberate de-Britishing. Which would have probably happened on its own, but yah know some times you've got an axe to grind and the contacts to get a dictionary published.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Canadian here, our English is a weird incest baby between British English, American English, and a little bit of French. I would spell it 'cosy' here in Canada though
Accent wise a lot of younger Canadians sound almost indistinguishable to me from Americans, until they use certain words...

Ultimecea

Dec 13, 2020
It was already polluted by the rule of French nobility and then changed more when the upper class started speaking with the posh accent to distinguish themselves from the nouveau rich. English has always been a Frankenstein's monster of a language.
lol
that and old english are the language that are incorporated from surrounding areas at that time
please google for more detailed explanation
or just avoid it for those who already know the origin

i know
i grew up with British English all my life
and you forgot the suffix O to some words that starts with E like Oedema , Oesophagus, Oestrogen
of which is the correct way to pronounced them as i learned in my medical school

and where is that elheemer guy who cant spell Oedema

• Haha
Reactions: Elhemeer
4.70 star(s) 167 Votes