Others Crisis Point: Extinction [v0.47] [Anon42]

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
(copy-paste from our Patreon update post, v.31 is officially out today!)

Hey everybody! Before I get into the meat of the post, let me first apologize, the Warped Scientist BE H-scene rework is not in this version currently. The animation isn't quite finished yet, and I've been pretty much done working on v.31 for a few days now. I plan on releasing a hotfix adding the animation in once he finishes it, so no worries, it's still going to be added to this update, I just don't want to delay the release even more for just one animation.

With that out of the way, v.31 is officially finished! And (barely) in August, too! This is the first time CPE has had an update release on time in a while, and without scrapping any planned features too, so I'm pretty damn proud of it. Let's go over what was added, shall we?

UPDATE v.31 CHANGES
-Continue The Great Rework™
-Finish menu rework
-Implement Skill Trees and Skill Points systems
-Implement in-game CG gallery
-Rework every CG in the game's dialogue to fit the new "gallery" context
-Start implementing the storyline (4 cutscenes, 3 environmental dialogues)
-Give Alicia new, more useful melee attack
-Implement stagger/stun mechanic on enemies when meleeing or using heavy hits (uses temporary graphics currently)
-Rework one of our older, worst-looking H-scenes
-Add ability to warp between save points
-Continue preparing for new public demo release

So this was a very ambitious update in general. LOTS of new features were added, so please forgive me if the update ends up being unstable at all - I did tons of playtesting, one of which was playing through the game from start to finish, and fixed every major issue I could find, but there are still some small, non-gamebreaking issues in there, and it's possible I missed some major bugs too. If you do run into any, please report them, either by commenting here, sending me a DM, or joining our Discord server (invite link here ) and posting them in the Bug Reports channel in there.
Now then, on to our plans for v.32!

UPDATE v.32 GOALS
-Continue(finish?) The Great Rework™
-Start implementing more interesting, hidden secret collectibles across the game
-Add in more blaster chip types
-More cutscenes and environmental dialogues
-Continue reworking older H-scenes, possibly add new H-scenes
-Finish reworking and updating older CG artwork
-Rework the level design of earlier areas where necessary to make exploration more interesting and difficult
-Implement difficulty modes when starting a new game
-Continue preparing for new public demo release

So for this next update, we're not really going to be adding as much in the way of new things - I mostly want to focus on really polishing up that first chunk of the game, adding in secrets that every good Metroidvania needs, continuing to add cutscenes to progress the storyline, etc. We've been working on The Great Rework™ for so long, I'm anxious to move past it and start developing new content again, and I think we're approaching that now - while we are going to continue reworking earlier stuff in small amounts as we go, I think we'll be able to call The Great Rework™ complete by the end of the year, if not the end of this update. It's a little questionable how much of v.31 was really reworking and how much was adding new stuff entirely to begin with, but eh, tomato tomahto.

Alright, I think that's all I got for today. As usual, I'll be posting the download link to v.31 in a $10+ Patron Only post after this one. For those of you who were pledged at $10+ during any point in v.31's development, keep an eye on your Patreon messages, you'll be receiving a download link through there even if you're no longer pledged. Sorry again about the lack of a finished Warped Scientist BE rework, but I promise we'll get that to you as soon as we can. Thank you so much for all of your support everyone, and I hope you enjoy v.31 of Crisis Point: Extinction!
-A42

UPDATE v.31 BUG FIXES AND MINOR CHANGES
-Glowing "fairies" in the Caves now react to more of Alicia's actions
-Sound of ground moving in Boss 1 room after dying and coming back has been fixed
-Memory leak issues when entering a new room or pausing have been fixed
-Tentacles can no longer be killed when underground
-BE vines should now reach down far enough to reach Alicia in all rooms
-Alicia no longer gets stuck in masturbation animation if hit by a Cumshooter while masturbating
-Game no longer bugs out if the player tries to open the pause menu while a game is loading
-Torn clothing animation added for Wire Ride pose
-Scientist's Blue and White vials now give the same kind of knockback as their Red vials
-Small graphical glitch fixed with Alicia's shooting pose when clothing is torn
-First pullable tiki in Deep Soil no longer resets after leaving the room
-Libido meter now flashes pink, more rapidly the higher Libido is, to make libido more noticeable
-Pullable pillars in the Summit and Catacombs no longer reset after leaving
-The boss room in the Summit now shows up properly on the map
-Minimap no longer bugs out when starting or loading the game, which caused it to not display any information for a while
-Enemies no longer glide across the ground when being hit by melee after an H-scene with them ends
-Enemies now react quicker after an H-scene with them ends, but only if the player attacks them
-Edovex enemies no longer become permanently stuck to Alicia if you enter an H-scene with them, climax, and then cancel the scene before the animation ends
-Boss game over screen text is white again, no longer hard to read
-Flare Shot can no longer be shot through some walls
-Infinite Flare Shot debug cheat now works properly
-Soldier's burst fire attack now causes I-frames on the final hit
-Flare Shot and Melee attacks now open doors in the environment
-Force Shot base charge generation has been changed from 5 to 4 per particle
-Health restoration collectibles now have lowered recovery amounts: 8 + (4 per max HP upgrade) for small pieces, double that for large pieces, both of which are doubled if the player has the appropriate skill
-Health upgrade pieces no longer bug out and disappear if the player starts a new game after collecting them in a previous game
-Warped Scientists have been recolored to differentiate them from non-enemy scientists better
-Split Shot's small bullets no longer pierce, but Split Shot has buffed damage around the board to compensate
-Lowered audio levels on all player bullet types to be less annoying, especially when shot rapidly
-Charge Shot blaster chip is now actually obtainable, in the room after killing the 3rd boss
-Fixed the player being able to get stuck after obtaining the Force Shot, but using all of their ammo without destroying the weak wall blocking their path

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
(Copy-paste from our update post on Patreon!)

Hey everyone! v.31 Hotfix 1 has just been uploaded and is available for play! You can download it using the same link as the original v.31 release, whether it's a link you received from me via private message or the link from the v.31 release post. You can confirm which version of the game you have by looking at the text in the title screen; the latest version will read "v.31 h1" in the upper right corner.
Here's a list of what was fixed:

-Warped Scientist BE H-scene rework has been added to the game
-Game should now properly save and load which mid-gameplay conversations you've heard, so they won't repeat every time you close and reopen the game
-Softlock when dying and falling into thornweeds should be fixed
-Slightly nerfed the speed at which Boss 2's tar pillars spawn beneath Alicia in later phases, to make the fight pacing more manageable
-Disabling futa in the options should now properly disable the Warped Sentry's H-scenes
-Thornweeds were removed from the upper corners of the first boss room, to give the player more space for dodging
-The Escape, Enter, and M keys can now all be used to open the pause menu, but only if they aren't already bound to other gameplay functions, so it shouldn't get in the way of any custom keybinds
-Alicia can no longer collect health pieces after dying, leading to various glitches
-Pressing Menu Confirm while in the Upgrades portion of the Status menu no longer interacts with the Blaster Chip menu instead, causing you to equip a different chip if one was highlighted
-Environmental conversations should no longer cause various bugs when they end if Alicia is in the middle of certain actions
-Multiple environmental dialogue conversations should no longer be able to trigger at once
-Starting the game up should now properly set your window size, if you were using a size other than 1x last time you played
-Removed the feature where the game window snaps back into view if dragged out of the screen, as it was causing issues with multi-monitor setups
-Conversations no longer continue while the game is paused

Thanks for all the bug reports, everyone - hope you enjoy the hotfix!

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
EDIT: Stream's over, thanks to everybody who came by! We should be streaming again on Thursday at roughly the same time, 1pm EST.

ORIGINAL: Hey everyone! Sorry for not announcing this sooner, but me and Orex are streaming work on v.32 today, and we're about to begin! Hope to see you there!

GhostProject

Jul 8, 2017
Will there ever be another free version? (I'm assuming it'll be released sometime after "the great rework" but I'm asking anyway)

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Absolutely. The Great Rework™ is getting near completion at this point; we'll keep reworking things as needed throughout development, naturally, but the laser-focus we've had on reworking is coming to an end hopefully by the end of this year. We're pushing really hard right now to complete the important parts, especially the early areas of the game, as much as we can, so we can put out a new public demo showcasing roughly the same amount of content as the old public version (up to the 2nd boss fight). We won't be releasing any more free versions that have content beyond that point, but I definitely want to get a new demo out ASAP to showcase how far we've come since the old public demo, v.13.

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
EDIT: Stream's over for the day, thanks to everyone who came by! This'll probably be the last stream this week, but as always, there will be a weekly update post on Sunday detailing what we got done this week, both during and outside of streams.

ORIGINAL: Hey everyone! Today's CPE devstream is about to begin, come on by if you have the time and interest!

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
(Copy-paste from our weekly Patreon development update post, available here for both Patrons and non-Patrons: )

Hey everybody! Today is Sunday, which means it's time for another weekly CPE development update! This week was the real start of v.32's development, since I got sick after v.31 came out and had to take a while longer to recover, but the good news is we came out of the gate swinging. Let's take a look at everything we got done this week.

First up is the new Blaster Chip type I've been working on, the Auto Shot! This weapon fires a bolt of electricity forward that automatically targets the nearest enemy in a ~90 degree cone. As you can imagine, this makes aiming quite a bit easier, though it comes at the tradeoff of doing reduced damage. The weapon is nowhere near complete, I'm still working on the visuals and it doesn't actually damage enemies yet, but hopefully this'll get you excited to check it out once the update is out! If you want to see the gif in higher quality, you can check it out here:
Screen_105.png

Next up, something small but important. If you'll take a look at the main menu here, you may notice that the Options menu is now available from the main menu as well! While this may not seem like a big deal, it gives players a better chance to mess with their settings and see their controls before actually starting the game, which leads to a smoother first-time experience. I would have done this sooner, but I had to retool a bit of our UI code to make it work first. Another small thing I did this week was adding proper sound effects to the rest of the UI, something I had started but never quite finished, which is why only some menus had sounds. We're still missing a few sounds for the UI, but our UI guy should have 'em done by the time this update comes out.

Screen_106.png

Last, something a lot of people have been asking for - difficulty options! As I've been redesigning Crisis Point and making it an overall more challenging game (boss fights especially), I've gotten some complaints about the difficulty - some people don't have access to a gamepad as well, and with how complex our control scheme is, the keyboard controls don't come naturally to most, which makes it even more difficult to deal with. Difficulty selection has been something I've wanted to add for a while now, and this week I managed to get it mostly finished up, all it needs now is more testing and tweaking.

To go into a bit more detail on our difficulty options, the main two things that are scaled based on difficulty is enemy damage, enemy reaction times/speed, and player healing. We DO NOT scale enemy HP or player damage based on difficulty, as I believe that making enemies take longer to kill on higher difficulties is often a poor design choice. Instead, enemies will have more or less downtime between attacks on Easy and Hard respectively, and will do less or more damage with their attacks (roughly 60% and 150%). Additionally, all healing effects are doubled in Easy mode, and on Hard mode, having sex with enemies does not heal you. This allows me to keep a similar game experience on all difficulties, with the main design change being that mistakes become less or more punishing depending on your difficulty. I may make additional tweaks in the future, but as of right now that's the extent of what our difficulties do.

Aside from my work, Orexius has been working on more cutscene-specific animations, mostly for the cutscenes from last update. Once he's finished with that, he'll be working on some small animations for each enemy's stagger state, so they won't just be red hitboxes anymore when you stagger them, such as with the Force Shot or a melee attack. LustFire has also started working on the remaining CG reworks, you can see him pop into our stream every once in a while to stream with us, where he switches between working on Crisis Point and working on his own game.

Alright, that's it for this week's update, thanks for reading! As usual, we plan on streaming on Tuesday and Thursday at around 1 pm EST, unless something comes up, so if you have any interest in watching us work, see if you can make it! See you next update!
-A42

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Awesome to see you back at it Anon
Almost forgot to respond to this - just want to say thanks, man. It's really good to be back. It's a hard rut to get out of - depression begets procastination, which leads to guilt about not delivering content, which leads to more depression, and it just feeds into itself. Now that I've managed to pull myself back into consistent development habits, I'm feeling better than I have in ages and things are really looking up. I really can't thank all of my followers enough for sticking with me, it means more than you guys will ever know.

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
EDIT: Stream's over for today, went for 7 hours and got a lot done! Next stream will be Thursday at 1 pm EST, as usual. Hope to see you all there!

ORIGINAL: Hey everybody! Today's CPE devstream is about to begin, come on by if you have the chance!

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
EDIT: Stream's over for the day, sorry for the short one but I'm feelin' more tired than usual today. Still got some good stuff done though, and don't forget we'll be posting an update on Sunday detailing everything we worked on this week!

ORIGINAL: Hey everyone! Today's CPE devstream is about to begin, come on by if you have the time and interest!

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
(Copy-paste from our !)

Hey there everyone! Time for another weekly CPE development update! This week I've got a fair few things to show off, so let's get right into it!

First off is the video above, showing off some cutscene animations Orexius has been working on! Like I mentioned when the last update came out, I want to try and make the cutscenes in CPE feel more lively, which means having more character animation. Many animations will be shared across multiple cutscenes, but some of them will be unique to individual cutscenes as well, it all depends on what's needed. Here you can see Orex has added a few animations to the cutscene where Alicia meets Rodriguez for the first time - namely, he actually holds an item out (accompanied by a little shine effect by yours truly) and she grabs it from him. We have plans for a bunch of little animations like these, though only a handful of them will be present in this update - it's something we'll be adding to gradually as the game gets further in development.

Next up is some new visual stuff. I decided to do away with the "slightly different colored blocks" in the Caves - the original intention was to hide secrets with them, but I rarely used them in the first place and even with my best attempts to make it easy to figure out, some players would still get stuck here for a bit without realizing you could break them. So I decided to give them a completely different (and slightly animated) visual style, to make it clear that you can interact with them in some way, and I'll be using them more throughout the Caves because of it. I'm still tweaking the animation a bit, since I think it looks a bit stiff, but I'm really happy with the way the visuals came out overall!

Next up is the second boss's beam attack. I kept forgetting about this, so it's just been a plain red visible hitbox for a while now, and I wanted to fix that this update. I still want to tweak the effect a bit and see if I can make it look smoother around his eye rather than having a hard cutoff, but for the most part it's looking much better!

Lastly, we have the (almost) complete Auto Shot. As you can see it's actually dealing damage now, and the visuals have quite a bit more polish, though it still needs a few additional effects to cap it off. It looks especially cool with the Tri Shot trigger type, but you can see that for yourself when the update drops ;)

That's all of the visually exciting stuff for this update! Aside from all that, I spent the week working on level design, implementing more sound effects, and beginning to hide secrets around the game world. A lot of the current collectibles that are just hanging out in the open will be getting moved eventually to hide behind those secrets, as well as challenge areas or puzzles - what fun is a Metroidvania without secret hunting, after all? Naturally, I don't plan on disclosing any of the secrets here on Patreon, though you might be able to find me working on them during some streams.

Orexius spent the week working on cutscene animations, like the ones shown above. Once he's finished with the one he's working on now, he'll be working on stagger animations for the enemies who need them (so they aren't just visible hitboxes during those animations), and then working on more H-scenes (both reworks and new ones).

LustFire is working on finishing up the Soldier CG rework, which is probably the most involved one of the bunch. It should be done pretty soon though.

And that's about it! To be honest, I'm not sure we'll be able to deliver the update this month - that stomach bug a while ago set me back a lot more than I had hoped, but I'm still going to gun for a release as quickly as we can, hopefully we'll either barely make it for October or at the very least early November. It shouldn't be a large delay in any case, but I wanted to let you all know ahead of time.

Just a heads up that we might not be able to stream this week - and if we do, they probably won't be at our usual times. Orex's dayjob has some odd hours this week, and since we plan our streams around his off days, it's going to interfere with those. If we do stream, I won't be able to announce them ahead of time like usual, so if you're interested in watching, make sure to keep an eye out! Thank you all so much for your support, and I hope you have a fantastic day!
-A42

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017

( )

Hey everybody! Another week, another weekly update! Unfortunately I don't have a huge amount to show off this week as much of what I did is behind-the-scenes stuff, but that doesn't mean nothing got done, so let's dive into it.

First off, as you can see in the gif above, is a new bullet type! Aptly titled the Seeker Shot, it chases down enemies after being fired in short, saccadic movements. It doesn't do a terribly high amount of damage per hit, and you can't shoot it if there are already Seeker Shot projectiles in play, but it stays out on the field longer than any other bullet, acts passively without any extra effort from Alicia's part, and functions in some interesting ways with the different trigger types (for instance, the Rapid Shot trigger makes it pause for shorter amounts of time between each movement). It's not a particularly effective primary weapon, but as Alicia can equip two blaster chip sets at any given time, it acts as a great secondary! You might have to put in some extra effort to find it though, as unlike most current upgrades, it won't be sitting out in the open.

That's all the visual stuff I have to show you for this week, but fret not, for progress was still made elsewhere - namely in dialogue! Last update we had a total of 3 cutscenes and 3 environmental dialogues. This update, we don't have any new cutscenes (as I've mentioned before we're aiming for only a few of them to avoid breaking the pace of gameplay), but we've nearly quadrupled the environmental dialogues, with 8 new conversations, making for a total of 11! The update's not even out yet, so who knows - maybe there will be some more before we finish up? Aside from that, I also spent some time redesigning more rooms, planning future content, and doing some minor bug testing/fixing.

Orexius and LustFire weren't able to do much this week, as they were both occupied elsewhere - Orexius by his dayjob's weird hours and some stuff happening IRL, and LustFire was on vacation.

Well, that's about it for this weekly update. Sorry it's a bit on the smaller side - hopefully we should be back to normal this week and able to stream again, but I can't say that with confidence, as Orex is still dealing with some IRL stuff. Because of that I'm not going to have an official streaming schedule again - we'll try to stream at the usual times if we can, but no guarantees yet.

As always, thank you all so very much for your support, you guys are amazing! I'll see you in the next update!
-A42

Reactions: DrackDrap

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
(Copy-paste from our weekly, public update post on ! Check it out and consider supporting us if you like what you see!)

Hey everyone! Sorry this post is a bit late, and also that this will be a pretty brief post with not much to show off - we ended up having guests that I didn't know about staying at our house for part of the week, and I wasn't able to work as much as usual because of it. On top of that, Orexius is still dealing with IRL stuff, so he didn't have much time to work at all. Because of that, I may have to delay the update a little longer than anticipated - I still think it'll come out in the first half of November at least, but I don't think we'll make it for October. Enough about that, though - let's get into it!

First off, one of the biggest things I worked on this week was beginning to populate Crisis Point's world with small, single-room challenges (like the one above), many of which require the upgrades you find throughout the game. Some will be combat challenges, some puzzles, some platforming - think what you would find in any other Metroidvania like Guacamelee or Super Metroid. Up until now, most of the collectibles in Crisis Point (like blaster chips or skill points) have been out in plain sight and all you have to do is find them, but going forward a lot of them will be hidden in challenge rooms or in other various ways only the keen of eye will find.

Second, I added another bullet type this week. The visual effects are extremely WIP at the moment and there are several more effects I want to add on top of them, but here's an early look at it.

This bullet type is called the Vampire Shot (might change that name though). Functionally, it's much like the normal bullet type you start the game with - however, shooting it will cost Alicia some of her HP. She cannot shoot when her health is too low, so there's no concerns of it killing you outright. In exchange for this, though, it deals significantly more damage than other bullet types - and if you do hit an enemy with it, part of the HP spent shooting it will be restored. Not as much as was spent on it initially, but it certainly makes it more sustainable.
Aside from those two things, I spent more time bugfixing this week, checking off some of the more notable problems introduced in the last few versions, like the infamous burning enemy H-scene crash, as well as some softlocking bugs that have been around for a while.

That's the extent of the major things we got done this week. Sorry again that it's a shorter post, and for the possible delay - I'll do my best to make sure this update kicks ass to make up for it. Really hoping that things will get back to normal this week and we can start doing regular streams again and such, I'll keep you updated on that front. In the meantime, thanks so much for your support, everybody - see you all in the next update!
-A42

Reactions: Fox.Mulder

Fox.Mulder

Jul 31, 2017
Vampire Shot sounds cool, though to me that implies it life-steals health from the enemies. Could name it in relation to "Blood Tithe", maybe, which is basically "a cost/payment of blood".
Only just saw this game on Twitter and had a feeling it'd be floating around here. Looks really nice, hope to play it some day when it's done!

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Vampire Shot sounds cool, though to me that implies it life-steals health from the enemies. Could name it in relation to "Blood Tithe", maybe, which is basically "a cost/payment of blood".
Only just saw this game on Twitter and had a feeling it'd be floating around here. Looks really nice, hope to play it some day when it's done!
Yeah, that's largely why I'm considering renaming it. It does technically do lifesteal, it just drains your health first, but either way I don't want to give the wrong impression. Something like Blood Shot might work fine, I'll give it some more thought.
And thanks for the compliment! I'm glad our work caught your eye; if you're interested in playing the game before it comes out we'll be releasing an updated public demo at some point in the next few months, or you can just grab a pirated copy here of course. I can definitely understand if you'd prefer to wait until a full version too though!

Reactions: Fox.Mulder
4.60 star(s) 29 Votes