Others Crisis Point: Extinction [v0.47] [Anon42]

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

broly965

Jul 6, 2017
I believe i did read somewhere on here that the patreons that were paying the creator, were displeased with him. Something about the money pledged was not being spent on the game, but instead on himself for personal use. That this made some patreons stop supporting him. This could mean that no one has a copy of the current game? Just my theory, oh well i guess. There are other better games i have to play anyway.

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I believe i did read somewhere on here that the patreons that were paying the creator, were displeased with him. Something about the money pledged was not being spent on the game, but instead on himself for personal use. That this made some patreons stop supporting him. This could mean that no one has a copy of the current game? Just my theory, oh well i guess. There are other better games i have to play anyway.
Hi, I'm the developer of the game. Not sure where you heard this, but it is patently false. My work on this game is my only income, so yes I have to spend a decent amount of what I earn on my needs - such is the nature of a job, after all - but after that, almost every cent extra I make goes back into the game, which is why I have hired and am paying for work from a UI artist, several voice actors, a background and tileset artist, a sprite animator, a musician, a CG artist, and a sound effects creator, while I do the rest of the work (programming, game design, writing, level design, etc) using the money I earn from Patreon to support myself. I won't lie, there was a long period where I wasn't putting out nearly enough work due to IRL issues like a car crash that left me debilitated and severe depression from losing my father, but even in those times I was still using a good chunk of the money I earn to continue paying for others to help work on the game. Anyone saying that I don't put money back into the game is purely ignorant about the way Patreon and game development in general works, or quite simply lying about me and my work.

As for the rest of you - sorry I haven't been updating here! I meant to treat this topic like any other and give you guys updates on development as they come, but I tend to leave my update topics open in a tab instead of trying to remember them myself, and somehow this one ended up closed so I completely forgot about it for a bit. I'll try to keep you guys updated as much as everywhere else in the future, if you'd like!

(On a related note, we've started doing development livestreams again, as well as weekly posts for development progress recently - you can find recordings of my last few streams in the Videos section of and our next stream is set for this Thursday at 1 pm EST, if you have any interest in watching. For the weekly update posts, I don't want to spam this topic all of a sudden with a huge post, so if you're interested in reading them, , no pledge needed, so you can read them there if you want.)

elixxon

Sep 4, 2017
My work on this game is my only income, so yes I have to spend a decent amount of what I earn on my needs - such is the nature of a job, after all -
FINALLY THIS! ^
The "developers spends Patreon money on personal stuff" nonsense was just so retarded.

Reactions: Anon42

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
EDIT: Stream's over everybody, thanks to anyone who came by! Heads up if you're reading this, if everything goes according to plan, we should be streaming again on Saturday - same time, 1pm est! No promises on that one yet but that's what we're aiming for!

ORIGINAL: Today's CPE devstream is about to begin, for anyone who's interested in watching! Me and Orexius (our spriter) will be streaming for about 4 hours at least, maybe longer if we're feeling up to it! Stop by if you have the time and interest!

Reactions: Cesar Alvarez

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
EDIT: Stream's over, everybody! Got a LOT done today! Tomorrow is a weekly update, so I'll detail everything we did throughout this week then. Thanks to everyone who came by! (Also, if anybody has issues with me announcing streams here on f95, let me know - I'll stop posting about them if enough people don't want me to)

ORIGINAL: Today's CPE devstream is about to begin, on a weekend for once! Come by if you have the time and interest <3

Reactions: Sheerley

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
(Copy paste from our weekly public Patreon update!)

Hey everyone, time for another weekly update! I wanted to get this out earlier in the day but I've been dealing with a pretty bad migraine, sorry about that. The good news is this week is a really good one, we got a lot done since we were able to get in 3 streams in, one of which ended up going for 6 1/2 hours!

First off, let's go over two of the most exciting things that I've been wanting to add for a long time. Like the image up above implies, CPE now officially has an in-game CG viewer! You can access it by speaking to the new NPC, Birch, at camp after you meet him as part of the storyline. CGs are unlocked by defeating the related enemy one time, but only after a certain point in the story - it's not exactly difficult, though, just play the game normally and you'll unlock them as you go!

Second, you might be thinking something along the lines of "we have to talk to him at the camp? But wouldn't getting there every time we want to watch a CG be a pain?" You'd be right, if it wasn't for the second exciting thing - the warp menu!

In v.31 you'll be able to easily warp between any save points you've previously visited, just by going to a save point and interacting with it! You'll be shown a menu with the option to either save the game or warp, allowing you to get around the map and explore far easier than before.

Aside from those two things, I'm happy to announce our first two cutscenes are pretty much complete! What you see above is from the second cutscene, where you meet Birch - you can see the rest for yourself when the update drops (hopefully later this month), but in the first cutscene, those of you who have been following CPE for a long time might recognize the return of a certain someone who's been missing for a while. Keep in mind these cutscenes are a little rough right now - they're missing various character animations that I want to add in eventually, which should add a lot more life to them, but at the very least they're currently fully voice acted! I plan on adding a few more cutscenes and dialogue exchanges to this update before it comes out, though I can't say for sure how many, and some of them may end up being un-voice acted, depending on our actors' schedules

Next up is the H-scene reworks I mentioned Orexius was going to start on soon. We decided to have him rework the Warped Scientist BE scene first, since it was one of the worst of the old scenes - those of you who were there for our stream yesterday will have seen it, but Orexius just finished the main loop, and it looks fantastic! After this he'll be working on hammering out some basic poses and animations we need for the cutscenes, but after that I'll have him get right on another H-scene rework.

I decided to keep the old gif in there as a comparison shot - if it’s not obvious, the left is the new one Orexius is working on, and the right is the old scene.

Lastly, one more slightly-less-exciting-but-very-important thing I added this week was the ability to stagger enemies with certain attacks! The graphics on staggered enemies are extremely temporary at the moment, and I don't see that changing before the update comes out, so apologies for that. I realized after adding it in that my original plans were severely overpowered, especially against single targets, so if you remember me mentioning before that melee attacks would ALWAYS stagger opponents, there's been a slight change there - there's now a 10 second cooldown on melee staggers, to prevent them from completely cheesing enemies and making melee too effective. In essence it remains the same though - enemies can be staggered by being hit with heavy attacks, or rapid consistent fire. Certain attacks like the Force Shot will still always stagger an opponent though, making those much more interesting and useful tools in Alicia's kit! I know lots of people didn't use the Force Shot before, so I'm hoping the added utility (as well as its unlockable Skills) will encourage you to try it out.

For streams this week, I just want to let you all know now we might not have one on Tuesday - Orexius is going to be working then, so if we did it would just be me, which probably isn't too exciting with all of my programming work. That being said, if you feel differently, let me know - I'm not against doing solo streams occasionally if people would actually want to watch it.

Alright, that's enough out of me for this week. Thanks so much for your continued support everybody, love you all <3 See you next update!
-A42

Gaboris

Aug 10, 2017
Next up is the H-scene reworks I mentioned Orexius was going to start on soon. We decided to have him rework the Warped Scientist BE scene first, since it was one of the worst of the old scenes - those of you who were there for our stream yesterday will have seen it, but Orexius just finished the main loop, and it looks fantastic! After this he'll be working on hammering out some basic poses and animations we need for the cutscenes, but after that I'll have him get right on another H-scene rework.

I decided to keep the old gif in there as a comparison shot - if it’s not obvious, the left is the new one Orexius is working on, and the right is the old scene.
Good LORD that new animation looks freaking GLORIOUS! :heartcoveredeyes:
Props to Orexius! I really hope all other BE scenes'll get the same care as this one.

Do you have any solid ideas about when you'll release this version? Maybe this month or the next?
If I remember right you have instant pay enabled so I'd personally prefer to pledge at the start of the next month, but I can't remember if I'd miss out on the previous version if I pledge after it was released.

Reactions: Anon42

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Good LORD that new animation looks freaking GLORIOUS! :heartcoveredeyes:
Props to Orexius! I really hope all other BE scenes'll get the same care as this one.

Do you have any solid ideas about when you'll release this version? Maybe this month or the next?
If I remember right you have instant pay enabled so I'd personally prefer to pledge at the start of the next month, but I can't remember if I'd miss out on the previous version if I pledge after it was released.
Thanks man! We're only planning on redoing the scenes that are particularly bad right now, buuut after seeing how much better this is coming out, I'll certainly consider the idea of redoing all scenes in the future if we have the time. For now though it's just the ones that really need the update.

v.31 is scheduled to come out this month, if all goes well! If not this month, definitely early next month, we're making really good progress right now so unless something utterly catastrophic happens we're definitely on schedule to have it done this month. You're correct that we do have instant pay - it doesn't really matter when you pledge though, in regards to getting this next update. When updates come out I send them to anyone who pledged $10+ during the development of that update, and if you pledge AFTER it comes out you'll get access to it as well. I won't message it to you personally in those cases, but you can find the download links to all previous Patreon versions under the "download link" tag on our Patreon post list.

Reactions: Gaboris

Gaboris

Aug 10, 2017
Thanks man! We're only planning on redoing the scenes that are particularly bad right now, buuut after seeing how much better this is coming out, I'll certainly consider the idea of redoing all scenes in the future if we have the time. For now though it's just the ones that really need the update.
Fair enough, but really glad to hear that you are thinking about expanding it later on. :)

v.31 is scheduled to come out this month, if all goes well! If not this month, definitely early next month, we're making really good progress right now so unless something utterly catastrophic happens we're definitely on schedule to have it done this month. You're correct that we do have instant pay - it doesn't really matter when you pledge though, in regards to getting this next update. When updates come out I send them to anyone who pledged $10+ during the development of that update, and if you pledge AFTER it comes out you'll get access to it as well. I won't message it to you personally in those cases, but you can find the download links to all previous Patreon versions under the "download link" tag on our Patreon post list.
Okay, good to hear. Then I'll pledge at the start of next month.
Can't wait to see all the new stuff. I've missed this game so much... MAYBE mainly cuz of the glorious BE stuff that's just so rare in games, but the rest is just great as well. :biggrin:

BTW I know I bugged you a lot with this back in the day, but was window resizing(the fixed kind of x2 or x3 to not break the graphics) implemented eventually, or it's not the right time for that yet?

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
BTW I know I bugged you a lot with this back in the day, but was window resizing(the fixed kind of x2 or x3 to not break the graphics) implemented eventually, or it's not the right time for that yet?
It has indeed been implemented! Crisis Point's window scaling supports anything from x1 to x999 (or more precisely 639,360 x 479,520).. though it'll only let you use sizes up to whatever your native resolution can handle, naturally :p

Gaboris

Aug 10, 2017
It has indeed been implemented! Crisis Point's window scaling supports anything from x1 to x999 (or more precisely 639,360 x 479,520).. though it'll only let you use sizes up to whatever your native resolution can handle, naturally :p
Oh, you got around the whole "tiles background sliding apart if the size isn't a round multiplier" problem? Cool! Now I really can't wait to see how it looks. :eazyHype:

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Oh, you got around the whole "tiles background sliding apart if the size isn't a round multiplier" problem? Cool! Now I really can't wait to see how it looks. :eazyHype:
Sorry, I guess I should've been more specific, it still has to be a whole number lmao. The thing you mentioned isn't actually a problem anymore, but pixels don't scale well when you try and use fractions, so we decided to stick to whole numbers only for windowed mode. On a standard 1080p monitor you can up to 2x, which is 1280 x 960 - alternatively, you can use fullscreen, which will scale it up as high as possible without keeping aspect ratio, so you might get some uneven pixels. When not fullscreen, the game also runs in borderless windowed exclusively now (Game Maker Studio, for some reason, doesn't let you changed between windowed and borderless windowed while ingame, you have to actually export the final game as one or the other), but you can still drag the window around by clicking near the top of it and dragging it wherever you please, which is the only real benefit of bordered window in the first place :p

Gaboris

Aug 10, 2017
Sorry, I guess I should've been more specific, it still has to be a whole number lmao. The thing you mentioned isn't actually a problem anymore, but pixels don't scale well when you try and use fractions, so we decided to stick to whole numbers only for windowed mode. On a standard 1080p monitor you can up to 2x, which is 1280 x 960 - alternatively, you can use fullscreen, which will scale it up as high as possible without keeping aspect ratio, so you might get some uneven pixels. When not fullscreen, the game also runs in borderless windowed exclusively now (Game Maker Studio, for some reason, doesn't let you changed between windowed and borderless windowed while ingame, you have to actually export the final game as one or the other), but you can still drag the window around by clicking near the top of it and dragging it wherever you please, which is the only real benefit of bordered window in the first place :p
Now it makes sense, cool. I guess GMS also doesn't allow you to do stuff like vertical letter boxing to preserve aspect ration if your window isn't the right size? Yeah, that's a bummer, but zoom is still great!
So I'll stick with my original approach and scale the window to the closest that my monitor can fit and just pay attention to how I move it around. SWEET! :extremelyhappy:

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Now it makes sense, cool. I guess GMS also doesn't allow you to do stuff like vertical letter boxing to preserve aspect ration if your window isn't the right size? Yeah, that's a bummer, but zoom is still great!
So I'll stick with my original approach and scale the window to the closest that my monitor can fit and just pay attention to how I move it around. SWEET! :extremelyhappy:
Lmao sorry, I must've been tired or distracted when I posted that - the fullscreen DOES keep aspect ratio, it letterboxes however it needs to, it just upscales as high as it can even if that upscaling is a fraction rather than a whole number. So thankfully it's not that bad in terms of uneven pixels, it's just not perfect. Apologies for getting that mixed up lmao

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
(Copy-paste from our weekly update on !)

Hey everybody! Sorry to say I don't have much exciting to talk about this update, or anything to show off visually - since we didn't stream at all this week, most of my work was spent on things that are less exciting to stream, or things that I don't want to stream myself working on, like writing.

I spent most of this week writing cutscenes and tying up loose ends for various parts of this update, like adding in the Warped Sentry's H-scene voice clips (which I kept forgetting to do for ages), finalizing my plans for a few unfinished Skills, implementing the code for mid-gameplay dialogue, finalizing and touching up the new scripts for CG scenes, writing more cutscenes and sending them off to our voice actors and actresses, and polishing up some features here and there. For those of you who are curious, this next update will contain 4 cutscenes and 3 environmental conversations (the former takes control away from the player and is fully automated, the latter plays in the background while you're still playing the game.)

Orex was mostly busy with his day job this week, so he spent his limited time continuing to polish up the Warped Scientist BE loop and starting work on the climax scene for it.

The last major thing that got done this week was LustFire finishing the new Edovex (flying alien) CG scene art! In regards to the CGs as a whole, there isn't enough time for LustFire to finish updating all of the art in time for this update, so fair warning, some of the CG scenes may have visuals that don't match the text perfectly - most of the dialogue has been rewritten and rerecorded to match the new context of CGs (choosing to do them 'for science' rather than getting them via game over), though we're not really changing the positions depicted in the scenes, just the dialogue and context. Next update we should hopefully be able to finish making everything match up.

For streams this week, we'll be streaming at least Tuesday and Thursday at our usual time, 1pm EST, though I want to see if we can squeeze in some early morning streams as well - no promises on those, but if we do pull them off, they'd likely be around 10 am - 2 pm EST on whichever days we can.

That's about it for this week. Sorry again I didn't have anything visual to show off, but this update is actually getting pretty close to completion, so we're running out of exciting visuals to show off! I'm pretty confident we should be able to deliver this update by the end of August, or worst case scenario very early September.

As always, thank you all so much for your support and love, everyone, it means the world to me <3 See you next update!
-A42

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
EDIT: Stream's over for today, thanks to everyone who came by! Reminder that our next planned stream is this Thursday, at 1 pm EST!

ORIGINAL: Today's CPE devstream is about to begin! Come on by if you have the time and interest!

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
EDIT: Stream is over for the day. Sorry it didn't go longer, I was hoping to stream for most of the day, but I'm feelin' kinda out of it, having trouble focusing. Hopefully we'll be able to stream again early morning tomorrow or the day after though!

ORIGINAL: Today's CPE dev stream is about to start everyone, feel free to come hang out!

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017

(Copy-paste from our weekly update post !)

Hey everyone! Time for another weekly CPE development update! Once again I don't have much to show off visually, so sorry about that, this'll be a text post - but the reason for that is that all of the major features were completed already, so I've been entirely focused on polish, small things, and cutscenes (which I think are funner to keep private so you can see them for yourselves). Because of that, v.31 is very close to completion now! The only major thing left on my todo list is to playtest as much as possible to iron out any bugs - this is one of the biggest updates CPE has ever had, with a feature list including but not limited to: a complete revamp of all CG dialogue, a new "skill tree" system providing passive upgrades to Alicia in combat, the ability to warp between any unlocked save points, a new menu for equipping Blaster Chips, the introduction of our storyline which includes 4 cutscenes and 3 different conversations between Alicia and NPCs that will happen as you wander around, a gallery in-game that allows you to watch any CGs you've unlocked whenever you like by warping back to base camp and talking to an NPC, a new, much more useful melee attack for Alicia, and a stagger system for enemies that makes heavy, single hits much more useful. This is also one of the first times we've planned such an ambitious update, and not only didn't have to scrap anything, but were able to get the update out in roughly 2 months, on our promised timeline. I'm unbelievably proud of the work we've done here, but enough about that, let's talk what we did this week!

For my part, I spent this week doing a few different things - the most noteworthy of which was working with CPE's actors and actresses for the various dialogue we needed for our cutscenes, and then balancing volume levels, picking out takes, and implementing all of those voice clips. In doing so, I discovered a pretty severe audio glitch that's been in the game for quite some time that was leading to AWFUL audio quality on some audio, mostly voice clips. The good news is that searching for a solution lead to some pretty nice optimization in audio filesize, and since we're starting to add lots of voice clips now, it'll prevent all of our voice acting from bloating the filesize too much. Aside from that, I spent the rest of the week doing a bunch of various things around the game, finishing up small bits of polish everywhere, nothing too exciting on its own but all very necessary for reaching the level of quality I'm aiming for.

Orexius spent this week working on various animations for cutscenes, such as walkcycles for all of our main characters, and a few small animations and poses for specific scenes. We really want to do more smaller cutscene-specific animations and poses, to give the cutscenes more life, but this will be a very long-term goal, he only has so much time to work on CPE after his dayjob and animation is definitely a time consuming process, so for now our focus is mostly on more important animations and H-scenes.

LustFire spent his time updating more CGs to fit the new writing. I believe about half of them have been fixed now, but the rest are sadly going to have some inconsistencies, as we want to do more with those CGs than just change Alicia's expression, and there's not enough time to complete those overhauls before the end of the month.

For streams this week, I'm honestly not sure what we'll be doing - we'll probably try to stream on Tuesday and Thursday, 1 pm EST, as usual, but it's possible we might end up skipping one or both. Either way, the update will almost definitely be out this week, unless I run into something catastrophic while bug testing.

Welp, that's it for this week. Thanks so much for your support everyone, I can't wait to get v.31 into your hands! Love you all <3
-A42

Anon42

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
EDIT: Stream is over for today, thanks to everyone who came by! Got a lot done today, v.31 inches ever closer to completion.

ORIGINAL: Today's CPE dev stream is about to start, feel free to come hang out if you have the time and interest!

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes