3.50 star(s) 11 Votes

cyberkiller

Oct 19, 2017
he should review his game system that bug not bad, and more if we make a backup of the game and we launch the backup we have a black screen right. what a pity, frankly not want to start every time the game if it crashes.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
To the people calling this Tyrannobuilder... I don't think it is... It's . (Decoding tool in ).
Edit: No need to decode chapter 3... it hasn't been encoded. :unsure:

The main issue is that NVM handle variables in a really odd way. I'm sure in it's own editor... it's perfectly sensible. But in the json files (once they're decoded)... I've found it almost impossible. It's pretty easy to get a list of variables, but figuring out if it's doing +1 / -1 / set True / set False ... Well, if it's possible... I'm clearly missing something fundamental. Anyone trying to convert the game would need to be able to play-test the game enough to guess how the variables are being updated... or alternatively, the author would need to collaborate.

Based on 3rd hand information... I do know the author has found using VNM a lot easier to write with than RenPy. And whilst I too wish he'd migrate back to RenPy, my general advice to any developer is to write your game for yourself and ignore those whining gits on the internet. Realistically, swapping back to RenPy would be a lot of work - though given the huge dip in his Patreon numbers... maybe it would be worth it.

The thing is, whether he finds it easier to work with or not isn't the issue, because the game is every bit as buggy as his last one was, with the added problem that due to the machine, no one seems to be able to fix it, including you.
He obviously isn't any better at working WITH VNM than he is with ren'py, but at least with ren'py others could make his damn game playable.

If you consider that (and the loss of patreons) his decision seems completely asinine.
I'm not screaming for a change to ren'py, I would just like a playable game ffs.

Phooploid

Jun 18, 2017
What's with the horrible engine and/or programming? The game keeps freezing, the background keeps getting stuck at that schoolboard, half the UI doesn't do anything or isn't working, you have to click multiple times on things for them to work and the save menu is also completely bugged.

Reactions: Vamori

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
What's with the horrible engine and/or programming? The game keeps freezing, the background keeps getting stuck at that schoolboard, half the UI doesn't do anything or isn't working, you have to click multiple times on things for them to work and the save menu is also completely bugged.
Don't bother saving, you can't load them anyway.

Reactions: 79flavors

CharleyT

Jun 12, 2018
View attachment 189474

Overview:
CA continues the further adventures of the main character from Sister, Sister, Sister, named and controlled by you, as he attends college and interacts with his professors as well as his fellow classmates and their friends and family.​

Thread Updated: 2019-03-02
Release Date: 2019-03-02
Developer:
Censored: No
Version: Chapter 3
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

DOWNLOAD
Win: - - - -
Mac Ch. 2:
- - -
Linux Ch. 2:
- - -
Others:

View attachment 255645 View attachment 255647 View attachment 255648 View attachment 255649 View attachment 255650 View attachment 255651 View attachment 255653 View attachment 255654 View attachment 255656
uggh, where's my chapter 2 saves?

Badboll

Aug 29, 2017
This dev really needs to take a step back and fix his game before continuing. This is a hot mess.
Also the lack of choices bother me, some don't even seem to matter much.
I don't want the mother in the story at all. I made choices in the previous game and she wasn't a part of it.
This game should reflect that. But I guess it wont oh well. The only good part of the game is the characters in it. everything else is rather bad.

HorizonD

Apr 25, 2018
Yeah, I would have liked that too, avoided all girls/women in the last game so far it was even possible but this game doesn't put it up. I don't know how hard it is to make certain queries about what you had for an end in the last game to pick up the new game from there. But on the other side, this would have mean, that you have too many paths from the beginning. This would be a lot of workload to realize that.

U

User_130505

does this game crash the morning after the party for anyone else?
It crashes everywhere, so you might as well get used to it, since the dev is unlikely to do anything to fix it, and no one else can, either.

Brady2626

Engaged Member
Mar 2, 2018
It crashes everywhere, so you might as well get used to it, since the dev is unlikely to do anything to fix it, and no one else can, either.
why cant anyone else? this seems 100% non encrypted fuck i even changed the name of that fucking annoying back ground that was basically just a glitch

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
[...] I even changed the name of that fucking annoying back ground that was basically just a glitch
It's not quite that simple.
What I think is happening is that the VNM has a default background (usually just a black screen) that it uses a backdrop to everything else.
... Sometimes... it appears that loading a saved game makes it re-evaluate which default background to use... and rather than use the black one... it uses whatever background it recently used.

So far, I've had at least 3 different backgrounds it's chosen to dump on me.

So renaming that file might solve your immediate issue. But when you replay, it might crash (missing file) or do something else equally moronic. Likewise, you might find it uses a different background to your "fixed" one next time you save and reload that save in the future.

[...] since the dev is unlikely to do anything to fix it, and no one else can, either.
Someone else fixing it within the existing engine is theoretically possible... but highly unlikely.
The VNM's editor is pretty much required to make any significant edits. But as far as I'm aware, the editor won't re-import a deployed game. So without the source files, you're pretty much boned.
VNM stores it's deployed game in a series of JSON tables. Depending on the options you set when deploying it... those JSON files are either stored in plain text or encoded. Editing them IS possible, but without knowing the consequences of your edits... seriously prone to screwing something up.

Which isn't to say someone couldn't fix it by converting it to a different engine. It'd be a PITA, but you only need search these forums for "RenPy remake" or "RenPy redux" and you'll see that it happens all the time. People rewriting RPGM games into RenPy seems to happen quite a lot. Of course RPGM is much more of a known quantity.

The dev has said he prefers working in VNM than RenPy. Personally, I think he's simplified his game design quite a lot since starting Cuntswell... and I think he's confusing that with VNM being easier. If he'd adopting this simplified approach and stuck with RenPy... I'm almost certain he would have been finding RenPy easier too. But he's got his answer and at this stage, I'm not sure he could be convinced otherwise.

Reactions: Morph

Brady2626

Engaged Member
Mar 2, 2018
this engine is awful i understand the dev likes it but damn it is currently just a turn off for potential new patrons

Brady2626

Engaged Member
Mar 2, 2018
So far, I've had at least 3 different backgrounds it's chosen to dump on me.
i only had a single issue with the black board and after i renamed it, it pretty much fixed that entire issue and didnt cause any crashing all the crashing at that point was caused by the broken save system

Regardie

Jul 27, 2017
Yep, the save system is way broken. VN Maker is from the fine folks that brought us RPG Maker MV and I don't know if it's the engine or his programming that is off, but it just don't work. I really like the story, both SSS and this, but at least SSS was fixable. I haven't really looked into what it will take to get into these files at this point so I guess I will just wait and see if he ever fixes anything.

3.50 star(s) 11 Votes