Fan Art Dating My Daughter: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Thanos247

Devourer of Worlds
Donor
Jun 11, 2017
Also, if you really want me to criticize your work; PM me because if I say what I think, it will take up a lot of space and some people might think I’m an asshole.

CulayTL

Sneaky Bastard
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
I like lexx228 style and I'm kinda angry because I don't know how to make it but on the other side I'm lazy to learn/search for it as well.. I don't have the patience and getting angry after a few fails.

I won't, and I think it is interesting. You should not care about what people think unless it's the person who's made the work you're criticizing. If he's ok with it, then please post publicly, everyone can benefit of some interesting notes from someone more knowledgeable.
Plus you can use the spoiler tag as well Thanos247

Last edited:

Kryptozoid

Sep 3, 2016
Also, if you really want me to criticize your work; PM me because if I say what I think, it will take up a lot of space and some people might think I’m an asshole.
I won't, and I think it is interesting. You should not care about what people think unless it's the person who's made the work you're criticizing. If he's ok with it, then please post publicly, everyone can benefit of some interesting notes from someone more knowledgeable.

mei-chan

Sep 5, 2018
Thanks for the heads up, but I can handle it. I'm neither an artist, or a photographer or something similar and have thus very little knowledge of generating GC stuff. If I can improve (and I sure can), I'm happy to hear about it, rather than trying to figure it out all alone.

Plus you can use the spoiler tag as well Thanos247
I'm onboard with them. I think everybody can learn from critique, even if it isn't for their own work.
And as I said, I have no problem wih being criticised.

mei-chan

Sep 5, 2018
Also here is another one:
DmD-Dee-Consequences02-02.jpg
I feel like the composition is much better, with seeing her face and all that, while remaining a kind of realistic over the shoulder perspectiv.
The lighting is better for an interior setting for the positions, but still lacking. Especially in luminescence and coloring.
At least I started to grasp some of the render settings, at least the technical ones allowing for some managable render times, even with the mirror.

Hope you like it.
And as always, comments, critique and tipps are welcome.
(Even publicly ;))

CulayTL

Sneaky Bastard
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018

Bad news for dee..
Not the same model.. hair and lips close enoguh..

Quite close I would say. She looks like a more Adult version of Dee, maybe in her mid/later 20s.
(Saving that one for later, maybe something "X years later...")
Guess how many renders I have with the young dee?

Reactions: mei-chan

mei-chan

Sep 5, 2018

Bad news for dee..
Not the same model.. hair and lips close enoguh..
Quite close I would say. She looks like a more Adult version of Dee, maybe in her mid/later 20s.
(Saving that one for later, maybe something "X years later...")
Edit: Unfortunatly they didn't specify at least the products used in the promo pictures

Guess how many renders I have with the young dee?
Mmhh, if you work like me, and based on the quality and quantity of your work, at least a qadrillion botched ones ;)

I was more refering to the face. My Dee is currently very much "vanilla". But a little bit of aging is something I will work on for my personal tastes.

Last edited:

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Also here is another one:
View attachment 404908
I like the concerned look you gave D.
I wonder if D is more concerned over being pregnant or knowing who the father is? :D

How D's hand is gripping the test seems unnatural. Hands are very hard to do, and easy for even causal observers to see inaccuracies.
I tend to nitpick.

mei-chan

Sep 5, 2018
I like the concerned look you gave D.
I wonder if D is more concerned over being pregnant or knowing who the father is? :D
Thanks, I was going for something which reflects this sudden change in her character.
For why she is concerned - probably both, or maybe neither ?
I decided to make this a kind of a little mini story, her discovering this new reality, me discovering how to do GC :LOL:
I have some ideas on scenes, but still have to decide on how to convey her thoughts. Maybe simple subtitles just to link the renders together.

How D's hand is gripping the test seems unnatural. Hands are very hard to do, and easy for even causal observers to see inaccuracies.
I tend to nitpick.
Yeah, Hands and faces. For the hand I was going for a mix between clamping the test to display the anxiety and something of a lost in thoughts play with a pen position, while also getting it into a position so that she can look onto it. Presumely that was trying too many things at once.

Reactions: RustyV

Thanos247

Devourer of Worlds
Donor
Jun 11, 2017
Oh buddy, if only you know how I spoke in real life you wouldn't be saying that. Lets just say I piss off a lot of people.

Anyhow, the biggest 'problem' from this dudes art, is the angle. The only time you should be showing a characters back, is when the focus is to draw attention to something else. Whether what the person is looking at, or something on that persons back itself. Here is one I did which had both of those things

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

As others stated in your following render, you showed her face, and thus her emotion. Its like a photographer on YouTube said, 'you can take a picture of a lion just sitting there and people will think; great, just a picture of a lion. Or, you can follow it for a while (ignore that part as it doesn't do anythign for daz users), watch as its lurking it prey, and capture the picture with its jaw open right as its about to devourer its target. What you did was get a moment as you captured the intensity rather then some boring picture.' In other words, you can show her emotion whether its sad, happy, anger and so on. You just have her back facing the audience. Oh and, if your telling a story, don't just have her face the camera all the time. It makes it seem as if she's directly talking to you the audience instead of a character in the story. Here is one example of that

You can tell from that one; she is pissed off, in combat and not exactly winning as she's facing her enemy. But if story isn't your thing and you just want portraits (like what most people do here), you don't always have to have the bitch looking at the camera either. Heres some other examples of that.

Yes, I did everyone of these examples, and yes they are all Dee. Anyhow, thats the biggest issues I have is your angles and what the audience is suppose to see. Fuck the lighting, show what you are trying to have people see.

Now that I look at them, some of these are kindy shitty. The fuck was I thinking.

Last edited:

mei-chan

Sep 5, 2018
Anyhow, the biggest 'problem' from this dudes art, is the angle.
I'm assuming that I'm "That dude" so I will react to this.
First of, thanks for taking the time to write this, you were right, it is quite lengthy :ROFLMAO:

The only time you should be showing a characters back, is when the focus is to draw attention to something else. Whether what the person is looking at, or something on that persons back itself.
So, first things first. I assume this is meant as criticism for this picture:

As you said, if you have a render with characters, you show them usually from the front. This is, because we are used to seeing other humans from the front, if they give you attention. And this is usually the intent of an image, the maker want's the viewer to be interacting by the contents of the image to create some kind of attachment.

There are a few other tricks in the image to guide the viewer to the main point of the image. The main thing is mostly the one, which is in the best light, so you see it the best, while not being distracted by the surroundings. Thats what spotlights are for. This is why, for example, the exhibits in a museum are in very bright spotlights, while the rest of the room is mostly fairly dim, even if the architecture of the room itself might be very interesting.

Another trick is the (in the picture above not really) subtle lens flare at the edges. Human eyes like edges and hard angles, and with toning them down, the point of interest can be gouverned more to the middle of the image.

Another thing is the placement. The main focus of the image should be (more or less) at the intersections of a "Rule of thirds" (See spoiler below for an rule of thirds assesment of this image). This is also because the human brain focuses on these areas at first and easily the most.
There are a multitude of more tricks, but they are consistent with Thanos247 assesment. If the main focus of the image is the character, the character should be shown, at least the face.

So, what was my thought of the message I wanted to give the viewer of the image?
1. SHE is pregnant.
2. she is PREGNANT

For me, it was the second one.
(Yeah, I know, master level story telling there, needing over 1 Mio. Pixels to tell a sentence of three words :LOL:)

So, I'm quite happy with Thanos247 assesment here, because they instantly recognized that Dee is the main character, but not the main focus of the image. It also tells me, that I need to do a better job of making the main focus (the positive test) make pop out more.

As others stated in your following render, you showed her face, and thus her emotion. Its like a photographer on YouTube said, 'you can take a picture of a lion just sitting there and people will think; great, just a picture of a lion. Or, you can follow it for a while (ignore that part as it doesn't do anythign for daz users), watch as its lurking it prey, and capture the picture with its jaw open right as its about to devourer its target. What you did was get a moment as you captured the intensity rather then some boring picture.' In other words, you can show her emotion whether its sad, happy, anger and so on. You just have her back facing the audience. Oh and, if your telling a story, don't just have her face the camera all the time. It makes it seem as if she's directly talking to you the audience instead of a character in the story.
Thanks for the compliment for the second picture here again :).
(Don't worry, this part will be shorter)
Straight to my conclusion:
I did somewhat of an acceptable job showing her emotions throught the reflection in the mirror, while comunicating that the concern is based on the test she is holding. But why did I again take a back shot, and not a front one? This is basicly down to two things:
1. If the shot would be from another angle than the back, the viewer wouldn't be able to see the test.
2. The camera would need to bei either really close to the character, or outside the room, which would look really akward, because we are normaly used to not be able to look through walls.
Thus the backshot. (And I wanted to see if I could pull of a mirror shot, which are quite demanding).
But I didn't manage to convey the link between both images. the second one was intended to be something like a "a few minutes later..", she is still in the bathroom, has a lot to process, needs her time to think.

This might have been better with another angle, where you could see her pose better, because she is leaned over and kind of curled together on the bathroom chair, which would have made her concernement (and maybe fear) far more obvious. But I couldn't make it work with showing her face and the test of in this way.

Anyhow, thats the biggest issues I have is your angles and what the audience is suppose to see. Fuck the lighting, show what you are trying to have people see.
I hope I have captured your issues here in the right way, that I need to make it more obvious what the main focus of the image should be. Yeah, in my cases it isn't Dee, it's her current state, and all that reality train hit that comes with it.
The first part seems to work, the second not quite yet :D

Last edited:

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
To be honest mei-chan when I first saws your first image I thought the pregnancy test was D was shooting up smack.
Which would be worse, but definitely would have shown the negative result from someone as naive as D being thrown into the world of modeling at such a young age.
All-in-all I like what story are attempting to tell.

Thanos247

Devourer of Worlds
Donor
Jun 11, 2017
I'm assuming that I'm "That dude" so I will react to this.
First of, thanks for taking the time to write this, you were right, it is quite lengthy :ROFLMAO:

So, first things first. I assume this is meant as criticism for this picture:

As you said, if you have a render with characters, you show them usually from the front. This is, because we are used to seeing other humans from the front, if they give you attention. And this is usually the intent of an image, the maker want's the viewer to be interacting by the contents of the image to create some kind of attachment.

There are a few other tricks in the image to guide the viewer to the main point of the image. The main thing is mostly the one, which is in the best light, so you see it the best, while not being distracted by the surroundings. Thats what spotlights are for. This is why, for example, the exhibits in a museum are in very bright spotlights, while the rest of the room is mostly fairly dim, even if the architecture of the room itself might be very interesting.

Another trick is the (in the picture above not really) subtle lens flare at the edges. Human eyes like edges and hard angles, and with toning them down, the point of interest can be gouverned more to the middle of the image.

Another thing is the placement. The main focus of the image should be (more or less) at the intersections of a "Rule of thirds" (See spoiler below for an rule of thirds assesment of this image). This is also because the human brain focuses on these areas at first and easily the most.
There are a multitude of more tricks, but they are consistent with Thanos247 assesment. If the main focus of the image is the character, the character should be shown, at least the face.

So, what was my thought of the message I wanted to give the viewer of the image?
1. SHE is pregnant.
2. she is PREGNANT

For me, it was the second one.
(Yeah, I know, master level story telling there, needing over 1 Mio. Pixels to tell a sentence of three words :LOL:)

So, I'm quite happy with Thanos247 assesment here, because they instantly recognized that Dee is the main character, but not the main focus of the image. It also tells me, that I need to do a better job of making the main focus (the positive test) make pop out more.

Thanks for the compliment for the second picture here again :).
(Don't worry, this part will be shorter)
Straight to my conclusion:
I did somewhat of an acceptable job showing her emotions throught the reflection in the mirror, while comunicating that the concern is based on the test she is holding. But why did I again take a back shot, and not a front one? This is basicly down to two things:
1. If the shot would be from another angle than the back, the viewer wouldn't be able to see the test.
2. The camera would need to bei either really close to the character, or outside the room, which would look really akward, because we are normaly used to not be able to look through walls.
Thus the backshot. (And I wanted to see if I could pull of a mirror shot, which are quite demanding).
But I didn't manage to convey the link between both images. the second one was intended to be something like a "a few minutes later..", she is still in the bathroom, has a lot to process, needs her time to think.

This might have been better with another angle, where you could see her pose better, because she is leaned over and kind of curled together on the bathroom chair, which would have made her concernement (and maybe fear) far more obvious. But I couldn't make it work with showing her face and the test of in this way.

I hope I have captured your issues here in the right way, that I need to make it more obvious what the main focus of the image should be. Yeah, in my cases it isn't Dee, it's her current state, and all that reality train hit that comes with it.
The first part seems to work, the second not quite yet :D
They don’t need to see the results in order to figure out what’s going on. Or you could show her facing away from the test but her hand facing down in order to show the results. There are hundreds of emotions/poses that have people looking away with there faces a different direction. I mean, if that’s what you like, then great. However it’s my issue I have it as it could be better. Why would you want people to look through a mirror for such a small insignificant object. We already know she’s taking a pregnancy test. I was taught; if you have to explain something that’s not well done, then you didn’t do a good job at all. Again, if you like it, then good for you. I’m just trying to make it better.

And yes I knows hundreds of tricks you can do. But if you know so many, why didn’t you implement them? And maybe I’m reading this wrong but it seems like your getting defensive here; passive aggressive style, instead of just taking criticism. Which is what asked for. So I won’t say anything more. Have fun rendering.

mei-chan

Sep 5, 2018
They don’t need to see the results in order to figure out what’s going on. Or you could show her facing away from the test but her hand facing down in order to show the results. There are hundreds of emotions/poses that have people looking away with there faces a different direction. I mean, if that’s what you like, then great. However it’s my issue I have it as it could be better. Why would you want people to look through a mirror for such a small insignificant object. We already know she’s taking a pregnancy test. I was taught; if you have to explain something that’s not well done, then you didn’t do a good job at all. Again, if you like it, then good for you. I’m just trying to make it better.

And yes I knows hundreds of tricks you can do. But if you know so many, why didn’t you implement them? And maybe I’m reading this wrong but it seems like your getting defensive here; passive aggressive style, instead of just taking criticism. Which is what asked for. So I won’t say anything more. Have fun rendering.
Defensive ? maybe yes. Didn't want to sound agressive though.
Your criticism is right, the angle isn't great, just wanted to explain my thought process behind them.
(Probably a yes in the devensive department there :whistle:)

mei-chan

Sep 5, 2018
To be honest @mei-chan when I first saws your first image I thought the pregnancy test was D was shooting up smack.
Which would be worse, but definitely would have shown the negative result from someone as naive as D being thrown into the world of modeling at such a young age.
All-in-all I like what story are attempting to tell.
Yeah, the first render of the first image was quite a bad one.
I managed to overcome some technical difficulties for the second attempt at least.
Now onto compositon problems.

(Although I fear all of you have to live through another mirror image :LOL:)

Reactions: RustyV

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
That was a fast pregnancy. :D
D's face looks a little fat, but that could be the result of pregnancy.

Reactions: JJsworld
5.00 star(s) 2 Votes