Fan Art Dating My Daughter: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Big Rooster

Forum Fanatic
Mar 16, 2018
Rooster your renders are getting better everytime you post. Looks like you are starting to get a grip on. Lighting and image quality. Keep it up. P.s. Thanks for taking your time to do it.
Thank you, I'm still learning. As long as I don't add too many nuances (assets) they seem to turn out better. And some assets are memory hogs that almost tax my i7 2700K and GTX 680 to its limits.
Dee Cassandra & Martin 3.7.21v5_edited - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Thank you, I'm still learning. As long as I don't add too many nuances (assets) they seem to turn out better. And some assets are memory hogs that almost tax my i7 2700K and GTX 680 to its limits.
View attachment 1073394
Just looked up your GPU specs. Only 2 GB of VRAM?!? I feel for ya, man!

Not sure what your financial situation is, but if you plan to do Iray renders in the future, I'd recommend setting aside some money for an Nvidia card with a LOT more VRAM. The 3060 has 12GB of VRAM, and other cards in the 3000 series are faster (but cost more) but right now even finding a graphics card can be a challenge thanks to the whole crypto boom thing...

If you are going the Filament route, that might help. The render above looks a bit 'different' to me so I'm wondering if that's a Filament render...

Filament is new, but I'm using an older version of Daz (reasons), which means I can't tell you much about it other than it exists...

There's also the 3Delight route of course. That is a CPU based rendering engine, so your GPU isn't a big deal in that case. But that requires an entirely different rendering skillset/mentality due to how it handles lighting.... it's mostly the same but there are significant differences in how you do things...

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017

Not sure what your financial situation is, but if you plan to do Iray renders in the future, I'd recommend setting aside some money for an Nvidia card with a LOT more VRAM. The 3060 has 12GB of VRAM, and other cards in the 3000 series are faster (but cost more) but right now even finding a graphics card can be a challenge thanks to the whole crypto boom thing...

If you are going the Filament route, that might help. The render above looks a bit 'different' to me so I'm wondering if that's a Filament render...

Filament is new, but I'm using an older version of Daz (reasons), which means I can't tell you much about it other than it exists...

There's also the 3Delight route of course. That is a CPU based rendering engine, so your GPU isn't a big deal in that case. But that requires an entirely different rendering skillset/mentality due to how it handles lighting.... it's mostly the same but there are significant differences in how you do things...
Another thing he could do is use Dreamlights. It's not as good for lighting quality, but it drastically cuts down on render times for older machines.

Reactions: Big Rooster

Big Rooster

Forum Fanatic
Mar 16, 2018

Many thanks for the input, that PC is an old Dell 990MT that I cut out the HD racks to make room for the 680 GPU and I put in 650W Corsair PS, 500GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD also. I paid $25 for the Dell and another $220 for the i7 2700K, the SSD & HDD, 16GB of RAM, PS, and the GPU. It's kind of a FrankenPC but it works. Now... I have another Desktop with an ASUS Sabretooth MB + i7 3770K with 32GB SRAM & GTX1070fi with 8GB and SSD + various HDD's, I'm thinking I'll load DAZ up on that one and use the Dell for surfing and other sundries tasks. AS for the renders, I take the finished renders and tweak them on PS Express and call them good. I haven't got the budget for the cutting edge stuff (programs or gear)but get good use from old gear that was destined to go the scrap heap.
As I use DAZ for "entertainment" and not commercially it's tough to justify a top dollar investments but I have fun doing it!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Many thanks for the input, that PC is an old Dell 990MT that I cut out the HD racks to make room for the 680 GPU and I put in 650W Corsair PS, 500GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD also. I paid $25 for the Dell and another $220 for the i7 2700K, the SSD & HDD, 16GB of RAM, PS, and the GPU. It's kind of a FrankenPC but it works. Now... I have another Desktop with an ASUS Sabretooth MB + i7 3770K with 32GB SRAM & GTX1070fi with 8GB and SSD + various HDD's, I'm thinking I'll load DAZ up on that one and use the Dell for surfing and other sundries tasks. AS for the renders, I take the finished renders and tweak them on PS Express and call them good. I haven't got the budget for the cutting edge stuff (programs or gear)but get good use from old gear that was destined to go the scrap heap.
As I use DAZ for "entertainment" and not commercially it's tough to justify a top dollar investments but I have fun doing it!
A GTX1070ti is a quite respectable card as far as Daz goes. There are faster cards of course, but the biggie is the 8GB of VRAM. A number of people around here are making do with less VRAM, note that 6GB would be the absolute lowest I would personally recommend when doing Iray renders on a regular basis. Iray renders are MUCH faster when they can reside in the GPU memory alone.

So the plan you outline is an excellent one, and you won't need to buy a new graphics card, at least not until the crypto mining thing busts and GPU prices and availability get back to normal!

• Red Heart

Big Rooster

Forum Fanatic
Mar 16, 2018
A GTX1070ti is a quite respectable card as far as Daz goes. There are faster cards of course, but the biggie is the 8GB of VRAM. A number of people around here are making do with less VRAM, note that 6GB would be the absolute lowest I would personally recommend when doing Iray renders on a regular basis. Iray renders are MUCH faster when they can reside in the GPU memory alone.

So the plan you outline is an excellent one, and you won't need to buy a new graphics card, at least not until the crypto mining thing busts and GPU prices and availability get back to normal!
I was wondering, between the GPU or the MB/CPU which one is more important?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I was wondering, between the GPU or the MB/CPU which one is more important?
For Iray rendering, if your system otherwise works by far the most important thing is an NVIDIA GPU with decent amounts of VRAM. AMD cards are no help here.

I have a 1080 Ti paired with a Ryzen 2400G, which is a 4 core/8 thread CPU with integrated graphics. I use the integrated GPU to run the desktop, with the 1080Ti 100% dedicated to rendering, so not a 'usual' setup, but my point is I'm making do with less CPU cores as the 1080 Ti is doing almost all of the work when rendering. There are times when I wish I had more cores, but it's more of a 'would be nice' than a 'really need' kinda thing.

For 3Delight, and maybe Filament (As I said, I'm not a Filament guy), the CPU is a lot more important. More cores good, faster cores good.

As I said above, see how it goes with your GTX1070Ti setup. I think you'll find it's much faster than your other rig, if you are doing Iray renders, and as a 'hobby' it should be more than adequate for your needs. Now as for system memory, larger hard drives, etc. yeah that's a topic worth discussing, but no sense cluttering the fanart thread with unrelated chatter. PM me if you have any further questions!

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes