Fan Art Dating My Daughter: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Big Rooster

Forum Fanatic
Mar 16, 2018
Here is another quick one off of my G8F Dee <link for her in assets thread.

I only have 2 gig vid card so can't do complicated scenes but here ya go
View attachment 1202490
Great work BTW!!!
From what I have observed, the video card has very little to with basic rendering. It's more a function of the CPU and the SDRAM. Case in point, I have three working PC's the first is an old Dell with a pre-i series Intel CPU with 16G SDRAM and an ATI 256mg GPU, totally worthless for rendering. The Second is Dell 880mt, upgraded with a SSD, i72700K CPU w/16GB of SDRAM, and a GTX680 w/4GB. That one can render OK, but it's slow. 3rd is an i7 3770K Z77 chipset-based MB with 32GB of SDRAM running at 4.2Ghz and a GTX1070 GPU w/8GB. The point is the GTX1070 doesn't do anything but lend some memory. Unless your render is under the memory capacity of the GPU, the GPU is not used for the rendering, the CPU is. Despite me having relatively a newer card the older i7 3770K does the work.
So be wary of spending $ for a GPU, unless you play the latest videogames.

Reactions: Ruffuss and Matari

Matari

Jan 30, 2018
Big Rooster

When it comes to rendering with Iray and nvidia cards if the scene fits in the card memory the card does the rendering not the CPU. I don't even have the CPU selected in the advanced tab in render settings. If you want to verify this open your task manager with a scene that fits the Card memory and watch the cpu activity as its rendering. If you have CPU and GPU selected in advanced settings it will start with the cpu and then kick over to the GPU. At least for me that's whats been happening for me when I watch the render history as its loading and starting the first few iterations. Also worth mentioning that the more cuda cores you have the faster you render. So even though your GTX 680 and your GTX 1070 can't be linked by SLI you can still use both cards in 1 PC to boost your cuda cores total and Daz with use the processing power of both cards to complete the render. I currently use a GT 640 and the GTX 960 and can verify that using both selected in the advanced tab does decrease my render times by a little when I tested this out.

I have some old tech but my amd FX6300 and my GTX960 2gig get the job done one way or the other but the GPU renders 10x faster then the CPU does.

Last edited:

Big Rooster

Forum Fanatic
Mar 16, 2018
Big Rooster

When it comes to rendering with Iray and nvidia cards if the scene fits in the card memory the card does the rendering not the CPU. I don't even have the CPU selected in the advanced tab in render settings. If you want to verify this open your task manager with a scene that fits the Card memory and watch the cpu activity as its rendering. If you have CPU and GPU selected in advanced settings it will start with the cpu and then kick over to the GPU. At least for me that's whats been happening for me when I watch the render history as its loading and starting the first few iterations. Also worth mentioning that the more cuda cores you have the faster you render. So even though your GTX 680 and your GTX 1070 can't be linked by SLI you can still use both cards in 1 PC to boost your cuda cores total and Daz with use the processing power of both cards to complete the render. I currently use a GT 640 and the GTX 960 and can verify that using both selected in the advanced tab does decrease my render times by a little when I tested this out.

I have some old tech but my amd FX6300 and my GTX960 2gig get the job done one way or the other but the GPU renders 10x faster then the CPU does.
I will try my GTX 680 with the 1070! What I was saying that a kinda basic render (say a background scene) uses more than the 8GB in my GTX1070.

Matari

Jan 30, 2018
Yeah that is defaulting to the CPU rendering the scene because of that.

If you didn't max out the Ram on the 1070 then your performance would look like my screen shoot below. Cpu is only running data transfer and not rendering. You can see my Compute on the GPU is maxing out, but cpu is about 40%. That was taken while rendering a 4k image. I will be posting that image once its done.

If your wanting to reduce your memory load I can pass on a few tricks I have learned along the way. Send me a PM and I can help ya out.

Dee 3.jpg
Rendered out at 4K at 200 iterations and reduced size with PS to 2k
PBR skin setting I just slapped together
Used Life like nipple and New gens for G8

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I don't like to post here unless a render is involved, sooo...

Sexy Dee of Whorg (again...)

On the rendering back and forth, I'm guessing that Big Rooster is using a rendering mode other than Iray, based on the last few series of pics. They could be done in Iray with some post work afterwords, but that doesn't look like Iray to me.

3Delight, Filament and Open GL won't get much use out of any GPU, as they are CPU based rendering engines. Iray works best with Nvidia GPUs sure, but in some cases, depending on the 'style' you are going for, other CPU based rendering engines can be just as fast (maybe faster depending on the scene, also higher core counts help a lot with CPU based rendering engines).

There are tradeoffs of course. I prefer the Iray 'look' myself, but some do just fine with 3Delight, and of course there's the new Filament rendering engine.

As for the GTX 680 with 2GB of VRAM, that might be useful for displaying the desktop, freeing up the GTX 1070 completely for rendering and Iray viewport modes, but unless it's a VERY basic scene it might not be very helpful for Iray rendering. Plus I'm sure that if Big Rooster does any significant gaming on his system, the 1070 would be the better choice for that!

I do encourage people to find their own styles. A particular style may not agree with me, but if we all rendered and did post work the same way around here, this thread would get rather boring rather quickly. The choice of rendering engine can have a huge effect on a person's 'style' and you shouldn't feel like you HAVE to use Nvidia Iray just because a bunch of other people do. It's easier in some respects, but that doesn't mean that the other rendering engines are useless - far from it!

So I AM curious as to whether Big Rooster is using the Nvidia Iray rendering engine, or another rendering engine, as it is very pertinent to the discussion being had. I'd encourage not letting this thread get off topic though, Programming and Development is a great place to have discussions about rendering hardware, and there are a few threads to that effect in that forum. Also, discussing this with each other via PM is also fine!

Big Rooster

Forum Fanatic
Mar 16, 2018
I don't like to post here unless a render is involved, sooo...

Sexy Dee of Whorg (again...)

On the rendering back and forth, I'm guessing that Big Rooster is using a rendering mode other than Iray, based on the last few series of pics. They could be done in Iray with some post work afterwords, but that doesn't look like Iray to me.

3Delight, Filament and Open GL won't get much use out of any GPU, as they are CPU based rendering engines. Iray works best with Nvidia GPUs sure, but in some cases, depending on the 'style' you are going for, other CPU based rendering engines can be just as fast (maybe faster depending on the scene, also higher core counts help a lot with CPU based rendering engines).

There are tradeoffs of course. I prefer the Iray 'look' myself, but some do just fine with 3Delight, and of course there's the new Filament rendering engine.

As for the GTX 680 with 2GB of VRAM, that might be useful for displaying the desktop, freeing up the GTX 1070 completely for rendering and Iray viewport modes, but unless it's a VERY basic scene it might not be very helpful for Iray rendering. Plus I'm sure that if Big Rooster does any significant gaming on his system, the 1070 would be the better choice for that!

I do encourage people to find their own styles. A particular style may not agree with me, but if we all rendered and did post work the same way around here, this thread would get rather boring rather quickly. The choice of rendering engine can have a huge effect on a person's 'style' and you shouldn't feel like you HAVE to use Nvidia Iray just because a bunch of other people do. It's easier in some respects, but that doesn't mean that the other rendering engines are useless - far from it!

So I AM curious as to whether Big Rooster is using the Nvidia Iray rendering engine, or another rendering engine, as it is very pertinent to the discussion being had. I'd encourage not letting this thread get off topic though, Programming and Development is a great place to have discussions about rendering hardware, and there are a few threads to that effect in that forum. Also, discussing this with each other via PM is also fine!
I render in Iray and do post work in photoshop express, because it's free!
And Gimp too!

Reactions: OhWee

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Both girls don't have the same hair style because I forgot the Rochelle ponytail doesn't have to be blonde.
bclearsmall.png

• Haha
Reactions: FireFunk
5.00 star(s) 2 Votes