Fan Art Dating My Daughter: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I love all of the newer faces around here that are doing fanart. The different interpretations and render styles help keep things fresh around here.

I'm not as adventurous though, although I learned a new thing yesterday with my 'Rachael + Robots' render. I still don't quite understand how that works (why would glossy color work for a projection?) but hey it worked so yeah...

I ended up using a cube primitive scaled to 16x9, scaling the third 'front-back' dimension later to extend past a light source, removing the 'back' surface, then assigning the front surface to a separate texture group (geometry editor), sending it to hexagon real quick to map the surface, and then using this trick on the front surface and making the other four sides black. I then put a spotlight just behind the box, so that the box sides prevented the light from bleeding into the scene around the sides. It's worth experimenting with. I parented the box to the spotlight to make moving things around a bit easier too, and could use the 'spotlight' view to better guesstimate how to frame the projection onto the screen on the wall.

Thundorn suggested using a primitive instead of a spot, but the spotlight worked quite well, and didn't add a new surface to calculate... there are pros and cons to each option of course!

I now have an idea on how to build colored light gobos using this trick. I have a few products that do this, but I haven't been overly happy with most of them. Won't help with light cones and haze (i.e. concert/club lighting stuff), but I have something else for that too.

But I digress. Loving all of the new blood around here!
:cool:

Last edited:

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017
I love all of the newer faces around here that are doing fanart. The different interpretations and render styles help keep things fresh around here.

I'm not as adventurous though, although I learned a new thing yesterday with my 'Rachael + Robots' render. I still don't quite understand how that works (why would glossy color work for a projection?) but hey it worked so yeah...

I ended up using a cube primitive scaled to 16x9, scaling the third 'front-back' dimension later to extend past a light source, removing the 'back' surface, then assigning the front surface to a separate texture group (geometry editor), sending it to hexagon real quick to map the surface, and then using this trick on the front surface and making the other four sides black. I then put a spotlight just behind the box, so that the box sides prevented the light from bleeding into the scene around the sides. It's worth experimenting with. I parented the box to the spotlight to make moving things around a bit easier too, and could use the 'spotlight' view to better guesstimate how to frame the projection onto the screen on the wall.

Thundorn suggested using a primitive instead of a spot, but the spotlight worked quite well, and didn't add a new surface to calculate... there are pros and cons to each option of course!

I now have an idea on how to build colored light gobos using this trick. I have a few products that do this, but I haven't been overly happy with most of them. Won't help with light cones and haze (i.e. concert/club lighting stuff), but I have something else for that too.

But I digress. Loving all of the new blood around here!
:cool:
Lighting is still the most confusing part for me; which sucks because good lighting can really bring the assets to life.

Reactions: OhWee

Big Rooster

Forum Fanatic
Mar 16, 2018
F: WTH Dee??? Helping Martin's Cramp_edited.jpg Dee: It's alright daddy, I was just relieving his swollen muscle, after our workout, in his microbus coming and going and in the park, and in his apartment before, during, and after we showered. He has the worst cramps, we don't want him to suffer, do you now? Helping with Martin_edited.jpg

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 2 Votes