Fan Art Dating My Daughter: Fan Art

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

AlfredBundy4

Feb 12, 2021
It's really a shame that the fan art has exceeded the game by 1000x at this point. If I had any PC worth using I'd make my own plyable spinoff stories.

Reactions: OhWee

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017
It's really a shame that the fan art has exceeded the game by 1000x at this point. If I had any PC worth using I'd make my own plyable spinoff stories.
Not just a PC is needed. Time is needed as it takes a surprising amount to pose the character, make sure it looks like their collision (or at least making sure that hands aren't being pushed through bodies). Setting the lighting, an expression and the clothing.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Been there working on a second spinoff/homage (Enthralled being the first), can totally sympathize.

I learned Daz Studio on a pretty low end system by today's standards. The new Filament rendering engine is a bit friendlier to low end hardware, but definitely has a different look than the Iray renders you see in DMD, my fanart, etc.. My point here being don't underestimate your hardware, Daz Studio has been around for two decades now, so chances are you PC may be able to run it. Of course, it's a bt more resource intensive these days, but some people in the Daz community are still using Windows 7 and runnng Daz Studio...

Iray does require a decent Nvidia card, and those are massively overpriced atm, so don't be afraid to experiment with 3Delight and Filament instead, those rendering engines are more 'low end hardware' friendly.

It's free to download (you'll need to register though) and there are a number of free assets you can grab to get started. You can also acquire quite a few Daz assets by other means, but of course that'd be wrong... ;)

My point here is don't be afraid to take Daz Studio for a spin to see if you like it or not. Lots of tutorials on YouTube, etc. if you should decide that you like it. It can be a bit of a time sink though, as Yonamous pointed out.

Anyways, while I'm here, just having some fun with changing up Rachael's hairstyle...

:p

Jack0h

Sep 7, 2018
Not just a PC is needed. Time is needed as it takes a surprising amount to pose the character, make sure it looks like their collision (or at least making sure that hands aren't being pushed through bodies). Setting the lighting, an expression and the clothing.
I think that is one of the things that has made me pause before starting one of these. The learning curve for this is like Everest.

mrdb

Oct 4, 2017
Iray does require a decent Nvidia card, and those are massively overpriced atm, so don't be afraid to experiment with 3Delight and Filament instead, those rendering engines are more 'low end hardware' friendly.
I have a Geforce GT 710 on my old pc and can iray render a single character with HD materials in two minutes or less with no noise. I use it with a limited library mostly for creating characters. The old DDR3 version averages $30 new and $15 used. (Buy used! These cards don't really go bad. The heatsink is enough to keep it within spec without a fan). The new DDR5 version averages $50 new. It is a Direct X 12 card, so it can run modern games at low to medium settings (GTAV on max at 1080p). For reasonable GPU prices, check places like Goodwill Computer Works and Upcycle Computer Werks

For low end systems to lower render times, I suggest creating hdri environments for scenes rather than using lights and props except for characters using furniture. There are several ways to do this in Daz or other software. Here's one method. You can use Gimp if you don't want to pay for or pirate Photoshop.

Andurin

Apr 28, 2017
I think that is one of the things that has made me pause before starting one of these. The learning curve for this is like Everest.
It's not that it takes alot to make something decent. Mostly its trial and error

It just takes time. My pc can batch render about 6-10 pictures per hour. Then there is the renpy part. Easy to learn, but still takes time.

Big Rooster

Forum Fanatic
Mar 16, 2018
I've been using 2nd & 3rd gen i7 PC's with older GTX cards so far to learn DAZ. You don't have to spend big $ to start and learning to use DAZ is easy enough that even a caveman like me can do it.

Reactions: Jack0h and OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Keep in mind that a year ago, RustyV had never touched Daz Studio, and look what he's up to now! Same for a few other faces around this thread. I was rendering characters in outfits within an hour or so after downloading and installing Daz Studio, it's actually pretty user friendly for 'basic' stuff' like adding clothing then rendering characters in cute outfits.

Posing does require a bit of time and patience for the task, but thankfully you'll get some basic poses that you can use as starting points as part of the initial free download. This takes by far the most time for me, as most of the time clothing and characters don't require a lot of fiddling by comparison, some, but if you are starting with a basic character things should 'line up' well with a default figure, say Genesis 3 or Genesis 8.

Posing isn't hard, it's just very tedious sometimes, like when you are adjustng a hand and individual fingers to properly grab a breast or butt cheek...

Dialing in new characters is a bit more involved, but that's something that you can worry about after learnng the basics. Plus, there are a few people around here that can help give you tips on creating say Dee on your own computer.

My advice here is to start small, and take baby steps while you learn the basics, then the more involved stuff. Your hardware specs will set a couple of the boundaries for you, but as I mentioned, I learned Daz Studo on a lower end system with no Nvidia graphics whatsoever. Don't let the 'learning curve' intimidate you, you can learn things at your own pace, and setting up just a basic render is actually not hard at all.

This starter tutorial is probably as good as any...

Once you've done a few basic renders, then you can advance to the more involved stuff, say grabbing Dee from the art assets thread on ths forum. Understand that characters like Dee require paid assets that you should purchase. A number of these can be acquired by other means (see asset releases section of this forum for lnks to assets), so you should decide what you are most comfortable with (buying them or acquiring them, or just doing the 'try before you buy' strategy for stuff you may be looking to purchase, say Rochelle Ponytail Hair as a random example).

Installing 'third party' assets and figuring out where they are later is probably one of the trickier things with Daz Studio, but once you learn the 'proper' ways to place asset folders, it's rather easy peasy once you get the install methodology down.

But all of that can wait until later. My point is, download Daz Studio and associated free stuff, try it (referencing YouTube, etc. tutorials as needed) and see if you like it first. It CAN be rather addictive, though, so be warned...

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 2 Votes