DAZ doesn't use my GPU to render with Iray

uhohitsuhoh

May 21, 2017
the 2080 might not be supported yet. i have the 2080 TI and to use it I had to download the DAZ beta

I can't speak on the original issues of the thread with 1080's but yea, try the daz beta to see if it will utilize the 2080.

one way to check if getting the beta will be worth it is ticking the iray preview in the main viewport. I noticed when i got the 2080 TI it would never "render" the scene, I just watched the bar at the bottom load and load, but it never started clearing up in the viewport. it works great in the beta though

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
the 2080 might not be supported yet. i have the 2080 TI and to use it I had to download the DAZ beta

I can't speak on the original issues of the thread with 1080's but yea, try the daz beta to see if it will utilize the 2080.

one way to check if getting the beta will be worth it is ticking the iray preview in the main viewport. I noticed when i got the 2080 TI it would never "render" the scene, I just watched the bar at the bottom load and load, but it never started clearing up in the viewport. it works great in the beta though
Yup, that is what I had to do, get the beta, thanks, appreciate it.

Reactions: uhohitsuhoh

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Check your power supply anything under 1000 watts may not work if overclocked or factory overclocked.
also if your using an RTX card don't use most recent drivers use 417.71 or lower. RTX cards are also very power hungry

BeCe

Purveyor of Blood and Boobs
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2017
I don't pretend to understand this stuff, but I had a similar problem that was simply fixed by reducing texture sizes or deleting off-screen props or characters. Like if you use too much texture memory on your card it will spill over to your ram and cpu, right?

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Check your power supply anything under 1000 watts may not work if overclocked or factory overclocked.
also if your using an RTX card don't use most recent drivers use 417.71 or lower. RTX cards are also very power hungry
I have 1000wts.
I don't pretend to understand this stuff, but I had a similar problem that was simply fixed by reducing texture sizes or deleting off-screen props or characters. Like if you use too much texture memory on your card it will spill over to your ram and cpu, right?
It was an empty scene with only people, from 1 to 3, I tried a few scenes, including making a new one. The only way to make it work was to get the beta version of daz, they had to do something to the iRay to make it work with the 2080's.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Hmmm few things:

1/ For using RTX cards you need 4.11+ BETA
2/ Use last drivers from nvidia, but DO NOT USE 410 driver. This one is broken.
3/ PSU 1000wats? WTF? Guys ? :) For normal CPU and 2080 is 500w good quality PSU (EVGA? Corsair, Seasonic) enough power, don't be silly. That card draws 200watts max so what will draw that 800 ? :D

4/ For better look on how renders going is better to use Afterburner, that will show you how much video memory your scene using and if scene overflow your memory it will jump to CPU rendering.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
3/ PSU 1000wats? WTF? Guys ? :) For normal CPU and 2080 is 500w good quality PSU (EVGA? Corsair, Seasonic) enough power, don't be silly. That card draws 200watts max so what will draw that 800 ? :D
I want more than one card one day, and I have a pretty hearty CPU, as well as 12 hard drives, including the bluray, 6 of those are internal and using power too. As the old saying goes, better safe than sorry. :geek:

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Yes with all that you need min 1000watt PSU.
Cpu 180w
gpu 200w
Hdd 20w *12 240w
other things 50w

670w at full load wich will never become. Cause 20w for HDD is just peak normaly they operates about 6Watts same as CPU normall is about 130w and gpu 150w.
Don't trust manufacturers that you need 0.8Kw and 1Kw supplyes.

Standart gaming PC take about 350w at gaming I mean mainstream CPU and GPU like 1080. But how we will sell all that 700w PSU ???!?!? "Just tell people they need them. Apple doing it, so why we are not? :)

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Under load specially two GPU's like the RTX2080 will take some. 12 HDD's plus blueray. Id not take the chance. If he has the money then do it.
If money is a problem then id yes rather use a power calculator. I hear where you coming from Joreall, still i wouldnt take the chance.

My render pc at home has a 650w Cougar PSU and it only drives my RTX2070 GPU, 1 xc SSD, 1 x 2TB HDD and 6 x case fans and CPU fan of course. So it's enough.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Under load specially two GPU's like the RTX2080 will take some. 12 HDD's plus blueray. Id not take the chance. If he has the money then do it.
If money is a problem then id yes rather use a power calculator. I hear where you coming from Joreall, still i wouldnt take the chance.

My render pc at home has a 650w Cougar PSU and it only drives my RTX2070 GPU, 1 xc SSD, 1 x 2TB HDD and 6 x case fans and CPU fan of course. So it's enough.

Iam using ryzen 2700x with 32GB ram 2 SSD and 1 2TB HDD and 2x 1080ti all on 650w psu. Whole Pc draws 480w in load. 6 vents and water pump.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Cpu 180w
gpu 200w
Hdd 20w *12 240w
other things 50w

670w at full load wich will never become. Cause 20w for HDD is just peak normaly they operates about 6Watts same as CPU normall is about 130w and gpu 150w.
Don't trust manufacturers that you need 0.8Kw and 1Kw supplyes.

Standart gaming PC take about 350w at gaming I mean mainstream CPU and GPU like 1080. But how we will sell all that 700w PSU ???!?!? "Just tell people they need them. Apple doing it, so why we are not? :)
Yeah, except try that, and odds are it won't boot, been there, done that. That is how I got to this point in the first place, I didn't want power to be a problem again. You always want more than it suggests, as you never get the full load's worth of power out of it.

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018
Need some help guys had to reformat my rig as tbh I hadnt done it in 3 years so anyway reinstalled DAZ I am now getting this in the Log File:
2019-05-20 21:45:17.666 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend error: Cannot render: found no usable devices.

It shows up rolled back the driver to 417.71 benchmarked my GPU thats working fine it was working fine up until I reinstalled Windows 10 and it is the same in DAZ 4.10 and 4.11, Optimax disabled.
Totally stumped now some of you will know me from the Show Us your DAZ skill thread but now I am just totally rendering on CPU.
All help appreciated thanks

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Interesting. So if I see this in my rendering history, this means it's using the GPU and not the CPU right?

progr: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1050 Ti): Processing scene...

I don't remember ever seeing that in there before. Up until now I had both CPU and GPU checked under the advanced tab in Daz. I unchecked CPU. I also went into my NVIDIA control panel and changed the physx processor from auto select to CPU following a suggestion that someone posted earlier. The render I'm doing now is the first time I have ever seen CPU utilization of less than 99-100% while rendering anything.

Edit: Just tried switching Physx back to auto in Nvidia control panel and got the same result so I don't think that makes a difference for me, just unchecking the CPU within Daz was all I needed to do.

Last edited:

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Need some help guys had to reformat my rig as tbh I hadnt done it in 3 years so anyway reinstalled DAZ I am now getting this in the Log File:
2019-05-20 21:45:17.666 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend error: Cannot render: found no usable devices.

View attachment 306784

It shows up rolled back the driver to 417.71 benchmarked my GPU thats working fine it was working fine up until I reinstalled Windows 10 and it is the same in DAZ 4.10 and 4.11, Optimax disabled.
Totally stumped now some of you will know me from the Show Us your DAZ skill thread but now I am just totally rendering on CPU.
All help appreciated thanks
I know you from a few places, but that doesn't make me want to help you any less! :LOL: ...I just don't know that I can.
I haven't seen this before (closest when when it did not like my new card for iRay, and I had to get the beta), and am by no means an expert on daz in any way, but the only thing I can think of that could be a factor is maybe win10 messed up the driver install. Video drivers are notoriously bad when it comes to updates. Have you tried using a driver cleaner/uninstaller, wiping the nvid drivers clean (preferably in safe mode if you can get there, hard as hell to do in 10), before rebooting and installing them fresh? A lot of times, installing a video driver on top of another can cause major issues, including BSoDs.

Good Luck.

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018
I know you from a few places, but that doesn't make me want to help you any less! :LOL: ...I just don't know that I can.
I haven't seen this before (closest when when it did not like my new card for iRay, and I had to get the beta), and am by no means an expert on daz in any way, but the only thing I can think of that could be a factor is maybe win10 messed up the driver install. Video drivers are notoriously bad when it comes to updates. Have you tried using a driver cleaner/uninstaller, wiping the nvid drivers clean (preferably in safe mode if you can get there, hard as hell to do in 10), before rebooting and installing them fresh? A lot of times, installing a video driver on top of another can cause major issues, including BSoDs.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the help he who may or may not want to help me :ROFLMAO: Yeah I ran a clean install of the driver as rather than overlaying on top of the other one Its only been a few days so I might just do a fresh install of Windows 10 and rather than installing Nvidias latest driver install this one first and the install DAZ because I am truly stumped on this one but thanks for the help

Reactions: TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Thanks for the help he who may or may not want to help me :ROFLMAO: Yeah I ran a clean install of the driver as rather than overlaying on top of the other one Its only been a few days so I might just do a fresh install of Windows 10 and rather than installing Nvidias latest driver install this one first and the install DAZ because I am truly stumped on this one but thanks for the help
Of course I want to help, I love helping, especially people who are also generally very helpful. :whistle:
Yeah, that is a nasty one, I suppose since you are still in the fresh install stage, that might be the easiest solution, but I don't mean checking the 'clean install' box, I mean running an actual driver cleaner. Their 'clean install' is not, never has been, and I suspect, never will be. ATI is no better either.

Here is a pretty good option, it's the one I have been using lately.

Try this first, if it doesn't help, then redoing windows might be your only option.

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018
Of course I want to help, I love helping, especially people who are also generally very helpful. :whistle:
Yeah, that is a nasty one, I suppose since you are still in the fresh install stage, that might be the easiest solution, but I don't mean checking the 'clean install' box, I mean running an actual driver cleaner. Their 'clean install' is not, never has been, and I suspect, never will be. ATI is no better either.

Here is a pretty good option, it's the one I have been using lately.

Try this first, if it doesn't help, then redoing windows might be your only option.
Thanks mate and will give that a go and I know you where prepared to help me you always are your just like me in that I was only joking

Reactions: TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Thanks mate and will give that a go and I know you where prepared to help me you always are your just like me in that I was only joking
You are welcome, and good luck.
I know, but mother always said, if you can't say something sarcastically, then don't say anything at all! :sneaky:

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Interesting. So if I see this in my rendering history, this means it's using the GPU and not the CPU right?

progr: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1050 Ti): Processing scene...

I don't remember ever seeing that in there before. Up until now I had both CPU and GPU checked under the advanced tab in Daz. I unchecked CPU. I also went into my NVIDIA control panel and changed the physx processor from auto select to CPU following a suggestion that someone posted earlier. The render I'm doing now is the first time I have ever seen CPU utilization of less than 99-100% while rendering anything.

View attachment 306815

Edit: Just tried switching Physx back to auto in Nvidia control panel and got the same result so I don't think that makes a difference for me, just unchecking the CPU within Daz was all I needed to do.
CUDA is the gpu, yes.
If you just use the GPU, the CPU should be fine, though setting up the image to render can use all of your ram, if it is a busy enough scene (for me, if I have more than about 3 people in the scene, it used most of what I have).
It truly is amazing how much of a difference that makes, also enabling the Hardware Acceleration was a huge change in working in my viewport. It was like an entirely different machine.

Reactions: rKnight