DAZ doesn't use my GPU to render with Iray

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Octane
Thank's for your reply,
But I just realized that because Iray is for Nvidia and because DAZ Studio has a contract with Nvidia, they don't support AMD GPUs. I'm looking for Octane now! and hope they support!
Sorry man but octane dont run on amd too. Its cuda based renderer. Dont buy amd if you want to work with it.

Reactions: javadgorgani

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Rendering is just one of those use cases where you need to check the software you plan to use in advance of buying your GPU. I'm not sure if there are any apps that only work on AMD GPUs, but there definitely are for Nvdia and Daz is one of those.

Reactions: javadgorgani

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
Hi mates,

I was recommended this thread as I was having some issues with Daz. I had a scene where it switched to CPU, when rendering, no matter what I did. The OptiX Prime Acceleration was not checked and I had a hard time into finding what was the cause.
What I did was, I removed one character from the scene(I had two HD genesis 8)and hit render every time, to see if that was the cause. It wasn't. So logically was due to the props/scene itself as the light was good enough to cover what I needed. I checked and I found that there was the ground texture set to 200% by default. I set it to 100% and when I rendered, the memory used dropped from ~1000 to ~460 and when I rendered it used the GPU as I wanted.

Now, I know that this won't help everybody having the issue with Daz using the CPU instead of the GPU, but you should check, that when importing skydomes into the scene, that the settings are not set like it was in my case.

Also, from my experience, there are some issues with the textures from some assets. For example, hair is pretty demanding and not to talk about beards. I had a headgear that it increased the memory used when I rendered.

I am using a Geforce 1080 OC and 32 GB of memory.

So, I replied to this thread for tracking purpose and for a heads up when rendering.

I hope it will help.

Cheers,
Mad King

Reactions: TheDevian

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Hi mates,

I was recommended this thread as I was having some issues with Daz. I had a scene where it switched to CPU, when rendering, no matter what I did. The OptiX Prime Acceleration was not checked and I had a hard time into finding what was the cause.
What I did was, I removed one character from the scene(I had two HD genesis 8)and hit render every time, to see if that was the cause. It wasn't. So logically was due to the props/scene itself as the light was good enough to cover what I needed. I checked and I found that there was the ground texture set to 200% by default. I set it to 100% and when I rendered, the memory used dropped from ~1000 to ~460 and when I rendered it used the GPU as I wanted.

Now, I know that this won't help everybody having the issue with Daz using the CPU instead of the GPU, but you should check, that when importing skydomes into the scene, that the settings are not set like it was in my case.

Also, from my experience, there are some issues with the textures from some assets. For example, hair is pretty demanding and not to talk about beards. I had a headgear that it increased the memory used when I rendered.

I am using a Geforce 1080 OC and 32 GB of memory.

So, I replied to this thread for tracking purpose and for a heads up when rendering.

I hope it will help.

Cheers,
Mad King

Sometimes help just rendering with viewport set to texture not iray.

Velsomnia

Jul 29, 2017
This thread is exactly why I upgraded from my old Athlon to a Ryzen platform. I get 20 minute Iray renders with just a simple Ryzen 3 1200. Best case would be a really powerful Nvidia video card and a Ryzen 7 or 9 to handle the overflow.

I also have my GTX 960 but I have both checked in the render settings so i'm assuming from this thread that I have been CPU rendering the whole time without realizing it.

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021
Has anyone come up with a solution for this issue? I am having the same drama's. I recently installed an RTX 3060 with 12GB of ram, but my rendering is still being done by my CPU. I have ticked and unticked all the boxes, my drivers are up to date as of a few days ago.

My scene is a little messy, but the fact that my CPU is at 100% and my GPU is at 1% seems off. I am assuming that any overflow is sent to CPU and not the entire render if you go over the memory of your GPU. If anyone has encountered this issue and worked it out, I would be very appreciative of your input.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Has anyone come up with a solution for this issue? I am having the same drama's. I recently installed an RTX 3060 with 12GB of ram, but my rendering is still being done by my CPU. I have ticked and unticked all the boxes, my drivers are up to date as of a few days ago.

My scene is a little messy, but the fact that my CPU is at 100% and my GPU is at 1% seems off. I am assuming that any overflow is sent to CPU and not the entire render if you go over the memory of your GPU. If anyone has encountered this issue and worked it out, I would be very appreciative of your input.
You can't use an ATI card with Nvidia's iRay engine, you have to use one of the other render engines if you want to use another video card. Otherwise, you are stuck using the CPU.

Reactions: rKnight

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021
Sorry, I misread that, I am dyslexic, and it's been a rough week. lol

In that case, it should be something in your settings, check the advanced tab.

If the settings are all correct, then the only other thing would be that the scene might be too big for your Vram.
All cool, I'm rocking ADHD myself, not the same obviously but I get that processing differences can be a pain in the ass. Your probably right about the Vram, I'll try rendering something simple and see if it makes a difference.

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021
Render Settings > Advanced Tab > Uncheck CPU for both. Like so:

Cheers for the help, I checked all the boxes like you did in the clip you attached, hit render and rendered a black screen. So I tried again with the same setting and a very basic scene and hit render and it rendered fine in about 30 seconds.

So I think the issue was just too much noise in my scene.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Cheers for the help, I checked all the boxes like you did in the clip you attached, hit render and rendered a black screen. So I tried again with the same setting and a very basic scene and hit render and it rendered fine in about 30 seconds.

So I think the issue was just too much noise in my scene.
Unchecking the CPU boxes is going stop the render from falling back to the CPU in the case there's VRAM being used.

Black screen (with the CPU boxes unchecked) usually means you're out of VRAM, which would point back to what TheDevian said. Scene Optimizer might be a product worth looking into, if you haven't already (just don't use it on Figures, hair or their clothes or things you know you'll zoom in on. Only on environments and their assets. Which should help for those bigger scenes.)

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
All cool, I'm rocking ADHD myself, not the same obviously but I get that processing differences can be a pain in the ass. Your probably right about the Vram, I'll try rendering something simple and see if it makes a difference.
Also make sure that you have the fallback unchecked.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Unchecking the CPU boxes is going stop the render from falling back to the CPU in the case there's VRAM being used.
No, it prevents Daz from always using the CPU (alongside the GPU), it will still fall back, even when unchecked, if the GPU runs out of vram ;)

Reactions: anne O'nymous

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021
Also make sure that you have the fallback unchecked.
Cheers, I just followed MissFortunes advice and unticked all of the CPU boxes and tried it out on a basic scene and it worked great, I then tried again with all of the CPU boxes ticked and that worked great also.

I think my main issue is that rendering a debris field in space is just way too much information for my GPU to handle by itself. I'm thinking my CPU just took over the task completely, as my GPU did just fine on a basic scene.

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021

Black screen (with the CPU boxes unchecked) usually means you're out of VRAM, which would point back to what TheDevian said. Scene Optimizer might be a product worth looking into, if you haven't already (just don't use it on Figures, hair or their clothes or things you know you'll zoom in on. Only on environments and their assets. Which should help for those bigger scenes.)
I do have scene optimizer, didn't use it though. I am doing some test renders for a VN I'm working on and just through some stuff together, without too much thought of optimization. I've been CPU rendering for quite a while and memory hasn't been an issue, though rendering this scene even with CPU rendering is probably pushing the boundary's a little.

Heading back to dropship.png

I'm thinking I may split the render into parts, ie. render the figures, background and debris field separately. My thinking is that the GPU should spit them out quickly and it gives me more lighting flexibility.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
No, it prevents Daz from always using the CPU (alongside the GPU), it will still fall back, even when unchecked, if the GPU runs out of vram ;)
In my experience, with it all unchecked, it will just not render.