DAZ doesn't use my GPU to render with Iray

NSware

Jul 22, 2018
I just realized that many others had this issue as well. My GPU, GTX 1080, isn't used when I'm rendering with Iray.... wtf is this exactly, somebody knows? lol

Even with Optix Prime acceleration enable Daz don't use my gpu to render

I had the same problem with the GTX960 2GB, after I bought the GTX960 4GB, I have no more problems

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I had the same problem with the GTX960 2GB, after I bought the GTX960 4GB, I have no more problems
Well in your case you were probably exceeding the VRAM on your video card so it had to use the CPU. In Jackaboo1's case he probably just needed to disable the CPU under rendering hardware in Daz. That was my problem anyway. I had both of them checked until today.

I had just assumed that as long as it detected my video card correctly and that I was under 4GB of memory for the render (the limit for my current video card) that it would prefer the GPU over the CPU but apparently not. It was using my CPU for everything no matter how little memory it took until I disabled the CPU as a rendering option in Daz.

Reactions: TheDevian

NSware

Jul 22, 2018
Well in your case you were probably exceeding the VRAM on your video card so it had to use the CPU. In Jackaboo1's case he probably just needed to disable the CPU under rendering hardware in Daz. That was my problem anyway. I had both of them checked until today.

I had just assumed that as long as it detected my video card correctly and that I was under 4GB of memory for the render (the limit for my current video card) that it would prefer the GPU over the CPU but apparently not. It was using my CPU for everything no matter how little memory it took until I disabled the CPU as a rendering option in Daz.

So, my problem was that the first render with iray, the GPU worked, and on the next try always the CPU was taken. After I had installed the GTX960 4GB variant, he always renders with the GPU. In the 2GB variant was synonymous whether I only wanted to render a cube, after the first render, only the CPU was accepted.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
So, my problem was that the first render with iray, the GPU worked, and on the next try always the CPU was taken. After I had installed the GTX960 4GB variant, he always renders with the GPU. In the 2GB variant was synonymous whether I only wanted to render a cube, after the first render, only the CPU was accepted.
Yeah, sometimes when you have a big scene or daz just bugs out, it can go back to using the CPU even when it's turned off. Even when I was using the 4gig 970, it happened a few times to me.

Reactions: NSware

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018
Of course I want to help, I love helping, especially people who are also generally very helpful. :whistle:
Yeah, that is a nasty one, I suppose since you are still in the fresh install stage, that might be the easiest solution, but I don't mean checking the 'clean install' box, I mean running an actual driver cleaner. Their 'clean install' is not, never has been, and I suspect, never will be. ATI is no better either.

Here is a pretty good option, it's the one I have been using lately.

Try this first, if it doesn't help, then redoing windows might be your only option.
Thought I would update you did a full reinstall evrything works in 4.10 in 4.11 not so much still stumped at whats going on all I can do is persevere eventually I will get it to work again thanks for the help

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Thought I would update you did a full reinstall evrything works in 4.10 in 4.11 not so much still stumped at whats going on all I can do is persevere eventually I will get it to work again thanks for the help
Best of luck.
For me, when I installed the 4.11 beta, it put it in a separate install location, so I can use both (not that I can use 4.10 with the new card).

Reactions: larry5168

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
All right...
I've read the whole thread, checked/unchecked what must be, and even installed the 4.11 beta.
Test scene, something really simple ; default texture on default Genesis 8 female with default pose.
If I try to render in interactive more, Daz don't care about my 2070, or its 16Go of RAM, and only use the CPU for Iray rendering. And if I try to render in photoreal mode, I only end with a black image.

Someone have an idea ?

By the way, why this yellow background ? :/
Image4.jpg

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
All right...
I've read the whole thread, checked/unchecked what must be, and even installed the 4.11 beta.
Test scene, something really simple ; default texture on default Genesis 8 female with default pose.
If I try to render in interactive more, Daz don't care about my 2070, or its 16Go of RAM, and only use the CPU for Iray rendering. And if I try to render in photoreal mode, I only end with a black image.

Someone have an idea ?

By the way, why this yellow background ? :/
View attachment 314553
Bad driver?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Are you using perspective or a camera to render
At first I tried with a camera, but for my last test (the basic everything), I used the default scene and changed nothing, so I assume it was perspective ; but I can't assure it, let's say that after having tried so many things, I raged quit Daz for the day ;)

• Sad

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I raged quit Daz for the day ;)
I can relate.
The only other thing I can think of would be a silly mistake of installing the beta and still using the old shortcut to start Daz, because it leaves both versions on the system, though I doubt that is the problem.

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018
At first I tried with a camera, but for my last test (the basic everything), I used the default scene and changed nothing, so I assume it was perspective ; but I can't assure it, let's say that after having tried so many things, I raged quit Daz for the day ;)
Well sometimes if you place the camera just outside your scene all it will do is render black what I would do is go really close to you character and just do a quick render with the light on the camera set to on and see what happens just so we can rule that one out

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Well if you're using the beta you probably have to just update your driver. I'm still using 4.10 but I don't have an RTX card:

4.11.0.335 (April 17, 2019) - IN PROGRESS

• NVIDIA Iray
    • Integrated Iray 2018.1.3 (312200.3564); see post for more detail
    • REQUIRES NVIDIA Driver 418.81 (or newer); see

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The only other thing I can think of would be a silly mistake of installing the beta and still using the old shortcut to start Daz, because it leaves both versions on the system, though I doubt that is the problem.
It's one of the first thing I thought about, so I double checked that it was effectively the 4.11 version :(

REQUIRES NVIDIA Driver 418.81 (or newer); see
Oops, missed this. It's pass midnight here, so better not do it now, but I'll try this tomorrow.

• Sad

javadgorgani

Jul 31, 2019
Hi guys. I have the same problem with my MSI RX 580 8Gb Graphic Card. Daz studio does not use it for rendering. I can't even see my GPU in advanced tab in Daz Studio render setting. It's just CPU! what should I do??

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
Hi guys. I have the same problem with my MSI RX 580 8Gb Graphic Card. Daz studio does not use it for rendering. I can't even see my GPU in advanced tab in Daz Studio render setting. It's just CPU! what should I do??
If Daz isn't seeing your video card, your system might not be. Go to the Start Menu and type in dxdiag and run it. Do you see your card on the Display tab? If not, that's your problem. If you do, then I guess just try making sure your drivers are updated?

javadgorgani

Jul 31, 2019
If Daz isn't seeing your video card, your system might not be. Go to the Start Menu and type in dxdiag and run it. Do you see your card on the Display tab? If not, that's your problem. If you do, then I guess just try making sure your drivers are updated?
Thank's for your reply,
But I just realized that because Iray is for Nvidia and because DAZ Studio has a contract with Nvidia, they don't support AMD GPUs. I'm looking for Octane now! and hope they support!