3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Deleted member 1482745

Game Developer
Jun 23, 2019
Of course, she turned out to be thicker. You introduced a very strong distortion to the image. If you want a more natural blurred background with a nice buttery Bokeh. Use DoF to your advantage and adjust the lens as well as the aperture. For example, don't use a 65mm focal length but a longer one (80mm and 90mm are common ones for portraits). Introduce material thickness to the lens and use a lower f-stop for the aperture.
Yeah I was just messing around without knowing what all the lens options did. Found a guide, this is the result:

bokeh1.png

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
is this better Techn0magier?
Totally different image and not what got me thinking on the former image xD
Okay, this will be a little bit longer. I hope you don't mind. I had to bake a few quick renders to help me out here.
For a starter, it looks like a Clamshell setup to me. But with a misadjusted reflector or fill light.
For those who don't know, the Clamshell is the 2-point lighting version of the Butterfly.

I try to explain what irritates me by this:
This is the Butterfly version
butterfly.png
signatures are the shadow below the nose and the catchlight in her eyes.

The idea of the Clamshell is to enhance the exposure of her face. But you risk getting the dreaded ghoul-look, like the one in your image.
ghoulshell.png
Strong catchlight in the lower part of the eyes and, in case of a too strong fill light also strong highlights on the undersides of lips, nose, chin, hairline etc.
Instead, the placing of the fill light is important, close and below the subject, so it can fill the shadows, without being too visible in areas that can produce catchlights.
clampshell.png
There are still the dreaded catchlights in the lower half of the eyes, but less distracting while the shadows are still softened.

That is what got me thinking about your first portrait. ;) The second one, well... take my like :D

And just for the giggles a Butterfly combined with the default HDRI image and a simple backdrop.
butterflyish.png
The strength of the main light let it still appear like a studio setup. xD

Camera:
f-11 (DoF)
90mm focal length
6 aperture blades
material thickness 60mm

Main light:
45x45 cm rectangle
45'000 lumen
5'000 K

Fill Light:
60x60 cm rectangle
4'500 lumen
6500 K

OutOfAshes

Engaged Member
Apr 14, 2019
Totally different image and not what got me thinking on the former image xD
Okay, this will be a little bit longer. I hope you don't mind. I had to bake a few quick renders to help me out here.
For a starter, it looks like a Clamshell setup to me. But with a misadjusted reflector or fill light.
For those who don't know, the Clamshell is the 2-point lighting version of the Butterfly.

I try to explain what irritates me by this:
This is the Butterfly version
View attachment 959145
signatures are the shadow below the nose and the catchlight in her eyes.

The idea of the Clamshell is to enhance the exposure of her face. But you risk getting the dreaded ghoul-look, like the one in your image.
View attachment 959148
Strong catchlight in the lower part of the eyes and, in case of a too strong fill light also strong highlights on the undersides of lips, nose, chin, hairline etc.
Instead, the placing of the fill light is important, close and below the subject, so it can fill the shadows, without being too visible in areas that can produce catchlights.
View attachment 959152
There are still the dreaded catchlights in the lower half of the eyes, but less distracting while the shadows are still softened.

That is what got me thinking about your first portrait. ;) The second one, well... take my like :D

And just for the giggles a Butterfly combined with the default HDRI image and a simple backdrop.
View attachment 959159
The strength of the main light let it still appear like a studio setup. xD

Camera:
f-11 (DoF)
90mm focal length
6 aperture blades
material thickness 60mm

Main light:
45x45 cm rectangle
45'000 lumen
5'000 K

Fill Light: