3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

xer.0

Feb 7, 2018
Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 11.23.35 AM.png

This one seems worth it. Going to let it go for awhile.

Question: when you have a proper rig with a good GPU, do you get "better" iterations?

I'm 3000+ iterations all HDRI and still getting noise. Other people are talking about doing 200 iterations with lights and no noise. Curious if your getting more bang for your buck when it comes to iteration "quality" with a GPU.

ArturiousDesign

Engaged Member
Jan 31, 2019
View attachment 1082490

Question: when you have a proper rig with a good GPU, do you get "better" iterations?

I'm 3000+ iterations all HDRI and still getting noise. Other people are talking about doing 200 iterations with lights and no noise. Curious if your getting more bang for your buck when it comes to iteration "quality" with a GPU.
#Potato Squad

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
View attachment 1082490

As far as i know iterations quality (100 will be the same in every rig) are rig independent, but you'll reach more iterations faster, so technically you can get more iterations to get rid of the noise with the same time the weaker rig can, of course that will depend if your noise is just because you are rendering with low iterations or some other problem.

Rendering with a higher resolution and downscalling might help with a stronger rig too.

Edit: For anyone interested and dont know yet, the most important thing to GPU render after everything is loaded in the memory is Cuda Cores, the more the faster. (2k cuda cores gpu will render 2 times faster than a 1k cuda cores gpu)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ArturiousDesign

InsertFreakyName

Donor
Jul 22, 2019
View attachment 1082490

It's not just about the hardware. The more mesh polygons and maps you have in your scene, the more iterations are needed.
I render with a RTX 2070 8GB (also used for displaying), a simple character with hair (Iray, SubD level 2) and a HDRI environment will aprox. take 15 Minutes for Full HD. A scene like this one (Character with many HD morphs, hair, vellus & body hair, GP anatomy, all SubD level 4, all maps full resolution, environment objects, rendering size 3000 x 4000px) will take more than a day (27 hours in this case, no joke :LOL:). Edit: And it was about 48000, in words forty-eight thousand, iterations.

Last edited:
Reactions: xer.0

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
I mean, in theory you could have some dual CPU setup with 2 high end quadros and a ton of CPU ram that could do even the most complex renders in under a day. But most people don't have 50 grand in discretionary income sitting around...

Reactions: InsertFreakyName

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
View attachment 1082490

Usually when you get into this long a render I'd say it is using the CPU to render the scene, not the GPU. It's too late now but when you start a render you should check if the last line before the actual renders start says CPU native code generated (or something along those lines.
If you are rendering this scene on CPU and renders other scenes normal on the GPU it usually means that that your scene is too complex and doesn't fit into the VRAM of the GPU.

Other things that increase render times and or atrifacts:
- low lighting (make sure the scene is well lit use postwork to decrease the lighting for low light scenes.)
- multi coloured lights. (don't use more than 3 colours)
- larger renders (e.g. Full HD vs 4k)

Reactions: XenoFash and xer.0

xer.0

Feb 7, 2018
Usually when you get into this long a render I'd say it is using the CPU to render the scene, not the GPU. It's too late now but when you start a render you should check if the last line before the actual renders start says CPU native code generated (or something along those lines.
If you are rendering this scene on CPU and renders other scenes normal on the GPU it usually means that that your scene is too complex and doesn't fit into the VRAM of the GPU.

Other things that increase render times and or atrifacts:
- low lighting (make sure the scene is well lit use postwork to decrease the lighting for low light scenes.)
- multi coloured lights. (don't use more than 3 colours)
- larger renders (e.g. Full HD vs 4k)
#potatosquad over here. I'm CPU only rendering as a Mac user. One day might get a RTX laptop, but we'll see how the finances fall in the next year or so.

And I agree with the over exposing and bringing down in post. I haven't had great luck with it since with CPU previews in IRay it doesn't get far enough and when I see the hot spots they're way too gone to bring down later and by then I just give up on the render and move on. Happened in this one

0310 Claire Test 10-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg

Reactions: GNVE and xAsurax

InsertFreakyName

Donor
Jul 22, 2019
Is it a kind of infection? Or is she a hybride? Nobody knows ... I may overestimate this, but I thought this has wallpaper potential, so there is a 4K 16:9 version below for your pleasure :D
Tech talk: Character with custom opacity maps and five geoshells with different negative offsets and Iray materials. Needed to reduce the resolution of some maps, cause my GPU told me to do so :LOL:

X72a_ifn_001.jpg

Wallpaper:

X72a_ifn_001wallpaper.jpg

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes