3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Le Pew

Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
I deinstalled Octane. It was not only that some things just didn't showed up in an Octane render, Octane decided not to like the placements of assets or poses and just zeroed the poses and placed the assets at the zero position. I liked the speed of Octane but the way it messed with what I did was just bad. Octane was a big disappointment. I'd like DAZ would do work on their existing implementation of iray to make it more efficient and don't make a new addon for other engines for Nvidia cards. Nice would be an addon for AMD GPU's to give us more options and to help the MAC Users that have by default AMD GPU's.
I don't understand your issue with "placement of assets or pose". Octane is only a renderer, it takes the scene you give it and renders it with the shaders that are assigned to each mesh. You often need to rebuild the scene in the Octane render window at the beginning because it doesn't often initially get the mesh placement correctly, but that's it.
As for things "not showing up", the Octane converter actually does a poor job as converting shaders, particularly Iray shaders, and when transparency or metallicity is concerned it just does an awful job at it. You do need to convert every single shader manually to have nice renders with it.
It's true then that if you only want to do a quick render in DAZ by picking a few assets and launch a render, Octane will slow you down considerably. But if you want to customize shaders a lot and reuse what you create, then it does wonders.

Reactions: Techn0magier

Le Pew

Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
So here is the iray and the octane in the same post. Same scene, same lighting and camera settings, auto generated materials.

Iray
View attachment 1295910

Octane
View attachment 1295912

I can safely say I much prefer the Iray result. Sure, Octane took 35 minutes while Iray took about 72 minutes, but the result is a lot better in my opinion and a big plus is that Iray doesn't freeze my pc when rendering, making it unusable for the render time.

That's not to shit on octane, I am pretty sure that people can make amazing images out of it. It's just not for me, when I want to quickly set up a render when I get back from work, while watching a movie or something. It needs a lot of tinkering.

For the most keen eyed, yes I used scene optimizer for the Octane render. Another con of the plugin. While Iray just..renders, Octane freezes and needs me to restart Daz if it goes above the vram available on my system. Which adds another 10-15 minutes to load the model etc. In the end, the tinkering needed with the odd freeze/crash/whathave you/the material generation etc, the total time spend (for me) is much more than the Iray render and with worse results.

One caveat, I absolutely adore the work it did on the render with the see-through dress on my first post here. But I had spent 3 days tinkering to get that result.

For reference, I'm talking about this one.
View attachment 1295938
The best practice with Octane is to never use the converted materials "as is". The conversion is just a starting point.

As for the memory issues, If Octane doesn't have enough memory it doesn't render. But if you give it some system memory on top of it (go to the system tab of the Octane pane), it will render. It will be much slower than when the scene fits in VRAM, but it will still be faster than CPU rendering.

I'm not advocating Octane over Iray in all cases, but I do want the comparison be made for the right reasons. The Octane plugin is not very stable, and they didn't have a developer working on it for some time, but the guy working on it right now is doing a decent job, and while it will take some time before the DAZ Octane plugin is on par with the C4D or Blender ones, it still has some nice perks, particularly with the freedom it gives you with shaders AND the render speed.

Seanthiar

Jun 18, 2020
I don't understand your issue with "placement of assets or pose". Octane is only a renderer, it takes the scene you give it and renders it with the shaders that are assigned to each mesh. ....
That was how I understand it should have worked. But it didn't. For example I made a simple xmas scene with 4 persons standing in different places in the room. (At that time I had a 1070ti on loan for my old dead GPU. ATM I only have a gtx750ti and that alone eliminates Octane, because no CPU render) The render with octane put all figures overlayed on the zero point. Candles that were on the table disappeared completely and a dforce blanket I had draped over the back of the couch was a stiff board flying in the air like a flying carpet and blocked the light from the window.
That was the KO for me with Octane. I had not saved the file and the time I spent to fix what Octane messed up would have been more than enough time to render the picture with iray. I don't understand why there is/was even the possibility for an error like that. A rendering engine should only read the resource data and don't change anything in the source. Don't want to try Octane anymore.

Le Pew

Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
That was how I understand it should have worked. But it didn't. For example I made a simple xmas scene with 4 persons standing in different places in the room. (At that time I had a 1070ti on loan for my old dead GPU. ATM I only have a gtx750ti and that alone eliminates Octane, because no CPU render) The render with octane put all figures overlayed on the zero point. Candles that were on the table disappeared completely and a dforce blanket I had draped over the back of the couch was a stiff board flying in the air like a flying carpet and blocked the light from the window.
That was the KO for me with Octane. I had not saved the file and the time I spent to fix what Octane messed up would have been more than enough time to render the picture with iray. I don't understand why there is/was even the possibility for an error like that. A rendering engine should only read the resource data and don't change anything in the source. Don't want to try Octane anymore.
I'm sorry to hear that. Octane never did any change in the scene for me. I have been using it for about 8 months now and apart from initial incorrect rotations of characters in the renders, I never had any trouble with the scene itself, except for the occasional crash after some time of intensive usage.

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
At least you tried seems I might be lucky with my system, lots tips for Octane I can but it seems you don't really have the time for it.
my last post is a 30min render with a volumetric light on a 1080ti
The best practice with Octane is to never use the converted materials "as is". The conversion is just a starting point.

As for the memory issues, If Octane doesn't have enough memory it doesn't render. But if you give it some system memory on top of it (go to the system tab of the Octane pane), it will render. It will be much slower than when the scene fits in VRAM, but it will still be faster than CPU rendering.

I'm not advocating Octane over Iray in all cases, but I do want the comparison be made for the right reasons. The Octane plugin is not very stable, and they didn't have a developer working on it for some time, but the guy working on it right now is doing a decent job, and while it will take some time before the DAZ Octane plugin is on par with the C4D or Blender ones, it still has some nice perks, particularly with the freedom it gives you with shaders AND the render speed.

While I dislike the model, the art and the render are great on that image. And yes, it's mostly a time issue for me. In general I like tinkering like that, but I just can't afford to nowadays. And I'm not saying that Octane is bad, though the stability issues would be more than reason enough to say so for a plugin. I know it can do a great job if tweaked properly and quite possible better than Iray can in daz. It's just not for me for now.

Personally, i'd much rather have good bridges for blender or maya that don't need tweaking the model and textures afterwards and simply render either with Octane for Maya or Cycles. But the bridges seem to be even more incomplete than the octane is for daz. And don't get me started with the UE4 bridge.

Reactions: Virtual Merc

Virtual Merc

May 7, 2017
While I dislike the model, the art and the render are great on that image. And yes, it's mostly a time issue for me. In general I like tinkering like that, but I just can't afford to nowadays. And I'm not saying that Octane is bad, though the stability issues would be more than reason enough to say so for a plugin. I know it can do a great job if tweaked properly and quite possible better than Iray can in daz. It's just not for me for now.

Personally, i'd much rather have good bridges for blender or maya that don't need tweaking the model and textures afterwards and simply render either with Octane for Maya or Cycles. But the bridges seem to be even more incomplete than the octane is for daz. And don't get me started with the UE4 bridge.
Tbh the poor conversion on some textures is a double edged sword, part of the reason you can get better results with octane is being forced to learn how to effectively use the node graph editor. personally I enjoy it, don't always need a render can have fun just experimenting then save presets for later.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes