3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
I need to wake up for work in about 4h so I didn't have the time to let the render finish. But an early WIP render fits with the early WIP character.

That's a first draft, lots will change over time, but after Siobhan and her monochromatic preferences, meet Celia. One that will probably show a preference for neon, punchy colours and clean, elegant compositions.

Celia.png

Any suggestions are always welcomed, but the base will stay as-is. At least until I finish playing with the sliders and have a more complete view of the character.

PS. This by no means is an indicator I'm done with Siobhan or her monochrome style. But I wanted a new character to play with and try new things.

Nov 28, 2019
Lighting and color are a bitch in this scene and I SO wish I had a graphics card with more than 6 GB RAM. To stay true to the original mood and tone setting of the HAB 017 set I didn't put in extra lights or remove walls and ceiling, and that creates a funky bunch of challenges, lol o_O:D Here's the first result that didn't give me a completely unhealthy pulse.

HAB 017 Test - Env-Mix copy.png

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
Two more portraits. Still working on details, but getting close. Criticism welcome.
Girl is cute. The man looks like someone who's asking to get his ass kicked. Don't know why, just the feeling I get. :ROFLMAO:

But in all seriousness I like them and since you're going for portrait may I suggest you either rotate the heads or the light? I think you're going for a butterfly effect but it looks relatively flat. It'd be much more interesting to let the shadows show the forms.

Personally I'd pose the heads instead of changing the lights. That way you avoid the dead look of the eyes. If you prefer to change the lights though, I'd have the eyes point at an empty either at the top right or bottom right of the portraits, depending on the feeling you want to give to the characters.

I'd give more details but I'm on the phone at a break from work so I really can't. If you want me to, I'll be able to do so in a handful of hours from now.

• Red Heart
Reactions: activeXmeasures

Helions

Dec 28, 2018
This is my first ever render using Daz 3D, and I was absolutely blown away by how much easier it was than I thought!

Shirley At Home - Take 1.png

I remember going through some Blender tutorials many years ago and giving up after realising how much I'll need to learn before I can create a decent 3D model of a human being.

Criticisms and recommendations on how I should improve are very welcome!

Apr 9, 2021
Girl is cute. The man looks like someone who's asking to get his ass kicked. Don't know why, just the feeling I get. :ROFLMAO:

But in all seriousness I like them and since you're going for portrait may I suggest you either rotate the heads or the light? I think you're going for a butterfly effect but it looks relatively flat. It'd be much more interesting to let the shadows show the forms.

Personally I'd pose the heads instead of changing the lights. That way you avoid the dead look of the eyes. If you prefer to change the lights though, I'd have the eyes point at an empty either at the top right or bottom right of the portraits, depending on the feeling you want to give to the characters.

I'd give more details but I'm on the phone at a break from work so I really can't. If you want me to, I'll be able to do so in a handful of hours from now.
"Asking to get his ass kicked." :oops: I wanted a relaxed and open-minded reaction to that character! Damn...

Yes, I was going for a type of butterfly effect. Good catch. I'll think about that and try to rework them.

If you have more detailed advice I'd be happy to hear it. I'd especially like to know why you say they have "dead look of the eyes." Was hoping to give their eyes subtle life. :)

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
"Asking to get his ass kicked." :oops: I wanted a relaxed and open-minded reaction to that character! Damn...

Yes, I was going for a type of butterfly effect. Good catch. I'll think about that and try to rework them.

If you have more detailed advice I'd be happy to hear it. I'd especially like to know why you say they have "dead look of the eyes." Was hoping to give their eyes subtle life. :)
For a butterfly effect I'd raise the main light a bit. As it is now its too subtle. Closer to flat than butterfly.

As for the eyes, it's the fact they stare straight at the viewer with the irises right at the center of the eyeball. Can't remember the term right now, something to do with fishes. In general, try to avoid that, unless you're going for a passport or a prisoner photo. I find the easiest way is to tilt the head a bit. Helps the light drop shadows to define the forms and with the eyes pointed at the camera you avoid the eyes issue.

PS. It has nothing to do with the models or the textures themselves. Just a result of the composition. As far as textures/models go, they look pretty good. And for more realism you'd need to take it out of daz and use custom eye models.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes