3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Joke accepted.
Here is discussion about OptiX Prime Acceleration:

It's a little more complicated there. Since version 4.12, DAZ gave this issue to the graphics card itself, which actually caused many users to think about buying the expensive RTX 3090, because their old scenes are no longer fit in VRAM of their old videocards.

And yes, 'it's always on now', DAZ is not optimized for this parameter since version 4.12. I'm wrong about that (as always, I should have checked it myself rather than take others' word for it).
I read through that old thread from 2019 and I had to laugh, too much guessing not enough knowing. Sample size in that thread is just too small to draw any conclusions of whether or not OptiX was an issue.

VRAM was always an issue with DAZ as it does almost no scene optimization so as a scene creator you always have to watch what is in your scene or use one of the third party utilities to reduce the poly count. OptiX forced all scenes to use more VRAM than pre-OptiX. I was previously using a 1080 Ti, with 11GB of VRAM there were few scenes that would not fit in VRAM.

Also note that DAZ doesn't pick and choose which features of Iray they want to use. Nvidia created OptiX Prime to benefit from RT Cores that would help nudge people to ditch the Pascal based, Maxwell based and older GPUs for the newer Turing and now Ampere architectures. Daz just uses what Nvidia gives them. With OptiX Prime being the basis for the current iteration of Iray, the OptiX stuff happens at a lower level without any intervention by Daz or any other application that also uses Iray.

On another note: (Adding this to maybe help others with the issue I was seeing)

I think I will be back to rendering a few scenes here shortly. I had some issues trying to undervolt my new 3090. I thought I had done all the testing I needed to make the undervolt work, and it does in every game, both AAA and small studios, I tried and all the GPU benchmarks, but when I finally got around to DAZ and tried to render multiple scenes I would get the first one and then all subsequent renders were blank. The Daz forums were no help as too many people just guess and others just complain, but I pieced together that my undervolt was the issue. I had to nudge my undervolt upward until I got DAZ to work reliably. I am finally there.

Plus Daz still has issues with Genesis 8.1 and loading expressions. If you have a a lot of Zeddicuss Genesis 8 packages (I am sure there are other Creator with issues too) the log gets filled with warnings when loading G8.1, the more you have, the more warnings logged and the more time it takes to load the figure. I am using a workaround that eliminates the warnings and it appears to be working. The workaround was to move the Genesis 8.1 alias morphs that are only there to prevent loading Genesis 8 expressions when loading an 8.1 model. They are located in /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D, move both the /Base Pose Head and /Expressions out of that directory and warnings are gone.

Now all that is left is to load all the more obscure morphs into my 'DAZ Junk' library.

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
I've been working on a game by my lonesome for a few months now. I finally thought it might be a cool idea to check if I'm going anywhere and see if anyone has some good suggestions feedback. How do these look?
View attachment 1358876 View attachment 1358874 View attachment 1358875
Good renders, really.
The only note: I really don't like the direct, frontal light on the characters that you have in the second rendering. Such light always makes the face look flat and unexpressive, and I try to use it only when it is necessary for the story. Well, for example, the hero is looking at the flash of a nuclear explosion. :(

But that's the classic - that's the scheme, that's what all the other variations revolve around:

threepointlighting-650x465.jpg

In details:

Loz60

Jul 29, 2021
stupid headlamp from the camera wish there was a way to make it off by default

View attachment 1350776 View attachment 1350781 View attachment 1350784 View attachment 1350786
In DAZ you can set the camera off as default. At least this works for me.

Go to Render Settings, All. Then check the Auto Headlamp field.

You can just manually change it to 'Never', but sometimes it might slip back to it's default. Especially when you're loading different files / scenes.

To change the default: On the same 'Auto Headlamp' field there is a 'COG' shape in the top right corner. Click on that and select 'Parameter Settings'.

On the Default field it normally says 'When No Scene Lights'. Change that to 'Never' and accept the change.

Romalous

Sep 13, 2020
There's something weird about that and I can't wrap my head around it.

New skin (that I'm really happy with) and new butt (that I'm not. I liked the last version of her butt a lot more but overwrote the file)
I have a feeling it's the proportions that throw me off, but I'm not sure which is it. :(
Critique/feedback, always appreciated of course. Also..Some nice nails/toenails combo, because currently, I have zero toenail materials in my library.

PS. Straight from Daz, I simply composited them side by side in photoshop.
PPS. Also..The ears are bad. I could use some better ear morph ideas.
you don't have any nail materials this is the one i use https://f95zone.to/threads/z-nail-salon-for-genesis-8-female-s.40647/

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
I read through that old thread from 2019 and I had to laugh, too much guessing not enough knowing. Sample size in that thread is just too small to draw any conclusions of whether or not OptiX was an issue.

VRAM was always an issue with DAZ as it does almost no scene optimization so as a scene creator you always have to watch what is in your scene or use one of the third party utilities to reduce the poly count. OptiX forced all scenes to use more VRAM than pre-OptiX. I was previously using a 1080 Ti, with 11GB of VRAM there were few scenes that would not fit in VRAM.

Also note that DAZ doesn't pick and choose which features of Iray they want to use. Nvidia created OptiX Prime to benefit from RT Cores that would help nudge people to ditch the Pascal based, Maxwell based and older GPUs for the newer Turing and now Ampere architectures. Daz just uses what Nvidia gives them. With OptiX Prime being the basis for the current iteration of Iray, the OptiX stuff happens at a lower level without any intervention by Daz or any other application that also uses Iray.

On another note: (Adding this to maybe help others with the issue I was seeing)

I think I will be back to rendering a few scenes here shortly. I had some issues trying to undervolt my new 3090. I thought I had done all the testing I needed to make the undervolt work, and it does in every game, both AAA and small studios, I tried and all the GPU benchmarks, but when I finally got around to DAZ and tried to render multiple scenes I would get the first one and then all subsequent renders were blank. The Daz forums were no help as too many people just guess and others just complain, but I pieced together that my undervolt was the issue. I had to nudge my undervolt upward until I got DAZ to work reliably. I am finally there.

Plus Daz still has issues with Genesis 8.1 and loading expressions. If you have a a lot of Zeddicuss Genesis 8 packages (I am sure there are other Creator with issues too) the log gets filled with warnings when loading G8.1, the more you have, the more warnings logged and the more time it takes to load the figure. I am using a workaround that eliminates the warnings and it appears to be working. The workaround was to move the Genesis 8.1 alias morphs that are only there to prevent loading Genesis 8 expressions when loading an 8.1 model. They are located in /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D, move both the /Base Pose Head and /Expressions out of that directory and warnings are gone.

Now all that is left is to load all the more obscure morphs into my 'DAZ Junk' library.
Well, as I wrote, I don't use the GPU for rendering.
I have a rarity in the form of a 1060Ti with 6Gb VRAM, because I use my computer for very different math calculations. So I can afford to command my DAZ: "Use OptiX Prime!" still using RAM and CPU to do it.

By the way, even the most complex scenes do not "pack" on textures, everything fits. At least some advantage over the GPU.

PS. I wish you success in defeating the morphs. :)

Reactions: m4dsk1llz

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
AlexStone,

I use my PC for content creation and CAD rendering, DAZ is just a hobby, a way to waste a bit of time. I am sure I will figure out all the ins and outs of morphs, I have gone through my library and already 'fixed' a bunch of them. I am surprised at how many morphs have variables misspelled in the code that cause warnings to pop up.

Because of my specific use case, I needed to upgrade my GPU, the 1080Ti was good but I needed a bit more speed and I skipped the RTX 20 series completely. As a result I don't do CPU renders. I have tested it, but I also don't enable CPU fallback.

I am very impressed by your CPU only renders, I think you do an incredible job with the tools you have. Please keep doing it!

• Red Heart
Reactions: AlexStone

Helions

Dec 28, 2018
Conceptual render of a superhero game (I know, yet another one) idea I've been working on.

I think I managed to get the essence right, but the composition and angles probably need more work. I'm quickly realising that the most difficult part of scenes in Daz are light, pose and expression!

Still a long way to go (and learn)...

Distressed (Take 1).png

ArturiousDesign

Engaged Member
Jan 31, 2019
Good renders, really.
The only note: I really don't like the direct, frontal light on the characters that you have in the second rendering. Such light always makes the face look flat and unexpressive, and I try to use it only when it is necessary for the story. Well, for example, the hero is looking at the flash of a nuclear explosion. :(

But that's the classic - that's the scheme, that's what all the other variations revolve around:

View attachment 1358923

In details:
I use this, does it for you with presets

1629303041721.png Daz dog sit.png

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
I use this, does it for you with presets

View attachment 1359141 View attachment 1359160
Большое спасибо, бро. Как бы я без тебя жил дальше, а?
Thanks a lot, bro. How would I go on without you, huh?

Now, seriously.
The standard DAZ light, which is what the or packages are, are good if you are willing to mess around with it for a long time and understand, for example, what the light temperature is, how the spot or mesh light works, what shadows it gives.

To be honest, sometimes 3-5 angular degrees solve everything, a face of character can be transformed by light alone. If anyone is interested, I will make some renderings sometime with the same model, with the same light, but with different angles of incidence.

Sometimes, I confess, I even sin to catch a separate light source reflection from the pupils, it always enlivens the render. Although... that's what regular photographers do when they say, "Oh, come on, turn around like that!" while they jump around the girl with the camera, isn't it? By the way, your doggie's eyes light up, cool!

For all of you reading me, I recommend to take good HDRI-maps for rendering. And some of them, such as these ( ), are ready-made three-point studio lights, which do not need much adjustment, but just find the right angle of light incidence by rotating the HDRI-map around the Y-axis (so you rotate the virtual dome).

And, for you, my dear friend, here is this sad horse:

SadHorse.png

It was made, as you can see, in 20 minutes, of which 16 minutes were spent on rendering. It took me about two minutes to set up the light, just by using HDRI-map with the studio's three-point light sources.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes