3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes
Oct 17, 2020
So..I was trying to emulate a real world camera in Blender. Specifically the Canon EOS 6D Mark II. From the sensor size to the available F/stops and the exposure/EV/shutter speeds and so on. With an already emulated 50mm lens.

This is with F/2.8 at 70 cm distance, with a shutter speed of 1/100s and ISO of 400. Looks a lot more acurate to the real thing compared to iray or even octane, it's a proper 6240 × 4160 resolution for the sensor and it rendered in 90 minutes, which is half of what a 1080p would take me on iray. There's no post work aside from turning it to monochrome (I wish Blender would support monochrome on viewport/render). It only uses one rim light (custom physically accurate spotlight instead of Blender's default).
Do you by any chance have any settings (DAZ OR post-work) that could emulate (or be close to) old-school WW2 Kodachrome?

xAsurax

Jul 21, 2017
maybe im imagining it but it looks like she has the body of a woman in her 30s while her face looks a lot younger. (make her face look older not the other way around :whistle: *nudge nudge*)
She is in her early to mid-30s, but now that you mention it, I do see that she looks younger.

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
Do you by any chance have any settings (DAZ OR post-work) that could emulate (or be close to) old-school WW2 Kodachrome?
I have no idea how you'd do that in post work, except for potential bokeh and/or vignetting. But those are easier and far more accurate to achieve in render. In Daz, probably not. The f/stop alone that Daz has is..probably something they came up with randomly, let alone the vignetting and the way it does NOT affect bokeh.

But in blender it's relatively easy. I just need the sensor dimensions, the shutter blades and the numbers for f/stops, ISO, aperture and shutter speed it supports. With some physical lights or non-normalized hdris for accurate lighting you can get a result pretty close to how it would be. Lens imperfections and/or chromatic aberration would need to be handled in post though. Even if you could create an accurate model of the lens and had access to a magical renderer that is 100% accurate to how light transmits, it would take a stupid amount of time to render that.

And with all that, it'll be pretty accurate TO THE CAMERA. The look those photos have will not be replicated because besides the camera and the sensor and the lens, that specific look is also a result of the chemical process, the film grain and..ageing. But increasing the saturation, decreasing the contrast and adding some imperfections like glares that burned in the photo and so on would probably get you close. How close? That's up to the time spent and your patience honestly.

EDIT: Kodachrome was the film used for the colored photos so that won't help you much. But if you're serious about it, the camera mostly used in WW2 was Argus C3. 35/50mm lenses, f/3.5-f/16 , 1/10-1/300 shutter speed, focal range 3′ to infinity and obviously exposure was not adjustable.

EDIT 2: I might eventually give the lens simulation a try, but I'm far from it yet. If you want to, your best bet is Zmax for designing the lenses and probably Luxcore (in Blender. I haven't tried the Daz implementation) for the render, since it's probably the best out there (that doesn't cost a fortune) as far as light transport algorithms are concerned. And of course you'll have to render the caustics from the lens too and custom Luxcore materials for everything.
a good thread to read about lenses and Luxcore in blender. I'd go more into it but need to wake up for work in 4h.

All that said, use filmic_log in blender of course, but even that..is not going to be photoreal. There's nothing I have found in color management in Blender, Maya, C4D or just plain rendering apps that can map reality between 0 and 1 from pure black to pure white. And even if there was..It would only be for printing and not your monitor So best you can do is an approximation, not a copy.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: kazuma_the_guy
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes