3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Evic

May 25, 2018
Until now I did not try the Billboard maker. Tried the normal billboards and made some myself by hand, but the problem is always the shadow and the fixed angle a billboard has. It just looks bad for me. And it's quite difficult to place them behind props. I'm thinking of making chars like for a billboard clothed and posed etc. and converting them into props with some standardposes, reducing resolution and polygons and it should lessen the impact on the used memory. You are fixed for the prop with a pose, but you can place it wherever you want and a char that is not in focus don't need 8k resolution and a high polygon count. That way you can use your normal ingame NPC's you made and you can interact with, make a prop out of them and use them to fill scenes with life.
Geometry doesn't usually add up to much of the total vRam used in a scene but textures will eat it up quickly. A quick and easy trick is to remove the maps that you usually can't even see for the background characters and objects. In particular just removing the specular, bump and normal maps from character skins and clothing will make a huge difference and most viewers won't even notice them missing in the final render. It's also pretty easy to do it since you can remove all of any one of them on a single figure by selecting all of their surfaces and changing the map to "none."

Once you get in the habit of doing that it becomes second nature, only takes a few seconds, and saves you a TON of rendering time. I also do that with anything that's blurred by DoF and most of my renders are completed in just a few minutes with no loss in quality. I don't do many multi-character scenes but I do use a ton of props (and usually complex ones like tress, grass and detailed buildings) and it can take a scene from needing 12-15 gigs of vRam down to 3-4 gigs.

That question every guy dreads...

"Honey, do these pants make my butt look big?"
I always thought the correct answer was, "No, but your ass makes those pants look huge!" Although I am on my second wife, so...

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes